The Official 2023 Cincinnati Reds Thread

south park beat a dead horse GIF

If you are not enjoying the chat about how awful the Reds ownership and management are, maybe just go to another thread? There is nothing else to chat about on this thread.
- Will the Reds lose 100 again?
- Could the Reds trade Moustakas and Minor for a 20th round pick in 2028? Or maybe a large bag of Skittles?
- Will Votto just bail out rather than endure this nonsense?

None of these are fun topics.

Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said today that he anticipates the Cardinals will increase payroll for 2023. Also, Adam Wainwright announced he will return for 2023.

The Cardinals’ payroll was a touch above $170 million this season. The Cubs were at $166 million.

You have to figure that the starting rotation and the catcher spot are where more money might be spent.

Wainwright and Jose Quintana are free agents. Wainwright will probably get a nice-sized 1-year deal. They at least have to consider bringing Quintana back, I’d think.

Jack Flaherty and Jordan Montgomery will each be in their final arbitration year, so expect their salaries to increase.

Miles Mikolas is due approximately $17 million in the last year of his 4-year deal, and they also owe Steven Matz $10.5 million.

They’ll need to replace Yadi Molina, but you gotta figure they’re set everywhere else in the lineup:

C ??? (Knizner?)
1B Paul Goldschmidt
2B Nolan Gorman
SS Tommy Edman
3B Nolan Arenado
DH Juan Yepez
LF Tyler O’Neill
CF Dylan Carlson
RF Lars Nootbaar

These guys will be the clear NL Central favorite, barring a massive spending spree by the Cubs (unlikely to happen).

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Some Reds news....and thankfully not related to bashing ownership and the financial structure of the team.

Former Red Bronson Arroyo will be inducted into the Reds hall of fame, he was elected by a combination of local media, Reds alumni and online fan voting. Not getting voted in was Scott Rolen, Aaron Harang, Francisco Cordero and Aaron Boone.

If the Cardinals want Quintana back and are confident in the health of Jack Flaherty and Steven Matz (Matz is signed thru 2025), I wonder if they might try to flip Montgomery for something else. Otherwise they’d have 6 guys for 5 spots until injuries arise.

Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said today that he anticipates the Cardinals will increase payroll for 2023. Also, Adam Wainwright announced he will return for 2023.

The Cardinals’ payroll was a touch above $170 million this season. The Cubs were at $166 million.

You have to figure that the starting rotation and the catcher spot are where more money might be spent.

Wainwright and Jose Quintana are free agents. Wainwright will probably get a nice-sized 1-year deal. They at least have to consider bringing Quintana back, I’d think.

Jack Flaherty and Jordan Montgomery will each be in their final arbitration year, so expect their salaries to increase.

Miles Mikolas is due approximately $17 million in the last year of his 4-year deal, and they also owe Steven Matz $10.5 million.

They’ll need to replace Yadi Molina, but you gotta figure they’re set everywhere else in the lineup:

C ??? (Knizner?)
1B Paul Goldschmidt
2B Nolan Gorman
SS Tommy Edman
3B Nolan Arenado
DH Juan Yepez
LF Tyler O’Neill
CF Dylan Carlson
RF Lars Nootbaar

These guys will be the clear NL Central favorite, barring a massive spending spree by the Cubs (unlikely to happen).

I'd put the Cardinals just ahead of Milwaukee as favorites. Milwaukee handed the division to the Cardinals by trading Hader incredibly at the deadline and that basically sunk their season. The Brewers have a much better rotation that the Cardinals, the Cardinals better all around offense. Cardinals go by with Mikolas, Wainright and Hudson being their 3 main starters. Again the Cardinals hit lighting in a bottle getting Jordan Montgomery from the Yankees and he really developed in a good one for them.
I think the Cardinals will miss Yadi more than anyone knows. His ability to call a game is unmatched. I really feel he's a big part of the Cardinals success during his career.

Agreed that the Cardinals are massive favorites, and if they are increasing payroll, look out. They will add an ace on the mound for sure.

Reds currently only have 4 players under contract for next year: Votto, Moustakas, Minor and Justin Wilson. Total salary for those 4 is $57M - money very wisely spent. Or not. Obviously lots of guys are under team control, and several arbitration cases and contract offers are coming up for the young guys, but I've heard nothing about their plans for the off-season.

Can't imagine any big signings will occur, but maybe ownership was saving their nickels and dimes so that they could go after Judge? How would he do in GABP? 80 HR?

For many Reds fans, had to be a little refreshing seeing the Phillies no hit. In the 2010 division series, Roy Halliday pitched a no-hitter vs. the Reds.

Agreed that the Cardinals are massive favorites, and if they are increasing payroll, look out. They will add an ace on the mound for sure.

Reds currently only have 4 players under contract for next year: Votto, Moustakas, Minor and Justin Wilson. Total salary for those 4 is $57M - money very wisely spent. Or not. Obviously lots of guys are under team control, and several arbitration cases and contract offers are coming up for the young guys, but I've heard nothing about their plans for the off-season.

Can't imagine any big signings will occur, but maybe ownership was saving their nickels and dimes so that they could go after Judge? How would he do in GABP? 80 HR?
Not that the Reds have any interest or could sign Judge, but here's what would happen. We'd sign him to a 4 year, $150 million dollar contract and he'd get hurt, and we'd be saddle with the contract for 3 more seasons. Book it.

Reds fans, if you are interested in listing to a great interview, go on YouTube and look up Thom Brennaman's Off the Bench podcast and the interview yesterday with Bronson Arroyo. Really a good, in depth interview.

For many Reds fans, had to be a little refreshing seeing the Phillies no hit. In the 2010 division series, Roy Halliday pitched a no-hitter vs. the Reds.
Not for me. I’m rooting for Castellanos, plus the no-hitter dredged up from the riverbed the fact that the Reds are now one of three teams ever to be no-hit in the playoffs, so that made all the shows last night and today.

Not for me. I’m rooting for Castellanos, plus the no-hitter dredged up from the riverbed the fact that the Reds are now one of three teams ever to be no-hit in the playoffs, so that made all the shows last night and today.

Not to mention, for me personally, I hope for the cheating Astros’ demise and will continue to do so until the day I die.

Not to mention, for me personally, I hope for the cheating Astros’ demise and will continue to do so until the day I die.
I’m also a bit bemused by Reds fans on Twitter who say they want to see the Astros win so Dusty gets a World Series title. Many of those same fans wanted him run out of town late in his Reds tenure.

I’m also a bit bemused by Reds fans on Twitter who say they want to see the Astros win so Dusty gets a World Series title. Many of those same fans wanted him run out of town late in his Reds tenure.

It's crazy how Reds players magically get better after they are gone. Dusty drove me crazy at times with his lineups but he did a good job. Now I do think the Astros have a good culture and good veteran leadership with Altuve and Bregman. I didn't necessarily want the Astros to win for Dusty, I just like them better than the Phillies. For a team who only made the playoffs this year because another team was added, the Phils seemed to be pretty cocky.

ESPN released their 2023 Way-Too-Early Power Rankings over the weekend. The Reds are #28.

Here’s their write-up on the Reds:

“They started out 3-22, tied for the worst 25-game start in the wild-card era (since 1995). They finished 59-78 ... and, well, that's still bad. There were a lot of bad teams in 2022. Too many. That's for another discussion. As for the Reds, they're in the early stages of a teardown and rebuild -- not that they're tearing down from much success, the high point being a playoff berth during the COVID-shortened 2020 season. I like Hunter Greene's potential -- he had a 1.02 ERA over his final six starts, although those were sandwiched around a shoulder injury. Nick Lodolo also has top-end potential in the rotation. But the team's best position player in 2022 was Triple-A vagabond Brandon Drury, who ended the season with the Padres. Really, it seems like owner Bob Castellini is just counting down the days until after the 2023 season when he can buy out Joey Votto's last season (sorry, Joey!) and Mike Moustakas -- and be in position to run perhaps the lowest payroll in the league. Enjoy, Reds fans!”

The Reds will stink and hopefully won’t draw much of a crowd in 2023!! Banana Bob is asleep at the wheel and his son Phil is a complete a ss Clown!!

ESPN released their 2023 Way-Too-Early Power Rankings over the weekend. The Reds are #28.

Here’s their write-up on the Reds:

“They started out 3-22, tied for the worst 25-game start in the wild-card era (since 1995). They finished 59-78 ... and, well, that's still bad. There were a lot of bad teams in 2022. Too many. That's for another discussion. As for the Reds, they're in the early stages of a teardown and rebuild -- not that they're tearing down from much success, the high point being a playoff berth during the COVID-shortened 2020 season. I like Hunter Greene's potential -- he had a 1.02 ERA over his final six starts, although those were sandwiched around a shoulder injury. Nick Lodolo also has top-end potential in the rotation. But the team's best position player in 2022 was Triple-A vagabond Brandon Drury, who ended the season with the Padres. Really, it seems like owner Bob Castellini is just counting down the days until after the 2023 season when he can buy out Joey Votto's last season (sorry, Joey!) and Mike Moustakas -- and be in position to run perhaps the lowest payroll in the league. Enjoy, Reds fans!”

Ouch.

Per Reds twitter account:

The #Reds have declined the 2023 mutual option on LHP Mike Minor, making him a free agent.

Additionally, RHP Chase Anderson, RHP Hunter Strickland, LHP Justin Wilson, C Austin Romine and IF Donovan Solano yesterday became free agents.

The 40-man roster is now at 39.

The #Reds have declined the 2023 mutual option on LHP Mike Minor, making him a free agent.

Additionally, RHP Chase Anderson, RHP Hunter Strickland, LHP Justin Wilson, C Austin Romine and IF Donovan Solano yesterday became free agents.

Well, finally a front office move that I agree with, dumping Minor.

The Reds are now down to only two players under contract for 2023, Votto and Moose. A total of $43M in payroll and all we have is two left-handed 1B at the end of their careers. Solid planning...

Closely followed by the love and admiration for Nick Castellenos?? I mean I liked the guy as a Red, he had a good season with us (in a contract year) and certainly was HIS prerogative to opt out of the Reds contract and get paid more and he did. But this narrative that he's one of the best players and we would have surely won with him is looney. He hit 13 home runs this year, 62 RBI. Kyle Farmer for the Reds had 14/78. Could you imagine the frustration of Reds fans this season if the team ponied up the $100 mill / 5 year contract for him and that's all he did?? It would had been Mike Moustakas all over again.

We've certainly earned this and I don't disagree. I do feel the additions of the healhy guys to the bullpen will make a significant difference to this team, and when you run out Green, Lodolo and Ashcraft 3 of every 5 games, I think that's going to be a good foundation to build on. Biggest question, can we score enough runs to support the pitching.

Best news of the offseason so far.

Well, finally a front office move that I agree with, dumping Minor.

The Reds are now down to only two players under contract for 2023, Votto and Moose. A total of $43M in payroll and all we have is two left-handed 1B at the end of their careers. Solid planning...
Remember, the original plan was for Moustakas to play 2nd base coming off of a good year with Milwaukee (2019 35 homers, 87 RBI). He's been nothing but sick or injured with the Reds, and the unexpected emergence of Jonathan India took the 2nd base option away. If, IF we could at least get 60-75% of Moustakas for his career, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Remember, the original plan was for Moustakas to play 2nd base coming off of a good year with Milwaukee (2019 35 homers, 87 RBI). He's been nothing but sick or injured with the Reds, and the unexpected emergence of Jonathan India took the 2nd base option away. If, IF we could at least get 60-75% of Moustakas for his career, I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Moustakas has typically been just a slightly above average major league hitter (prior to 2021 and 2022). 60% to 75% of that would be a below-average, poor player, not unlike the guys who inhabited the Reds’ lineup throughout much of 2022.

Asking Moustakas — a third baseman quizzically converted to second base — to continue to play second base into his mid-30s would have been a major stretch even if he stayed healthy, but his lack of conditioning and carrying a good 20 to 25 excess pounds made 2nd base an impossibility the past couple of years, and he stinks at third base too because he’s so out of shape.

Thank God Jonathan India emerged to uproot Moose at second base.

Notable free agents for 2022-23

Catcher: Willson Contreras, Omar Narváez, Gary Sánchez, Christian Vázquez, Mike Zunino
First base: José Abreu, Josh Bell, Brandon Belt, Yuli Gurriel, Eric Hosmer (opt-out), Trey Mancini, Anthony Rizzo (player option), Miguel Sanó (club option)
Second base: Adam Frazier, Josh Harrison (club option), César Hernández, Rougned Odor, Jonathan Schoop (opt-out), Jean Segura (club option), Kolten Wong (club option)
Third base: Brandon Drury, Aledmys Díaz, Evan Longoria (club option), Justin Turner (club option)
Shortstop: Tim Anderson (club option), Xander Bogaerts (opt-out), Carlos Correa (opt-out), José Iglesias, Dansby Swanson, Trea Turner
Outfield: Andrew Benintendi, Michael Brantley, Corey Dickerson, Adam Duvall, Joey Gallo, Robbie Grossman, Mitch Haniger, Aaron Judge, Kevin Kiermaier (club option), Manuel Margot, Wil Myers (club option), Brandon Nimmo, Joc Pederson, David Peralta, Tommy Pham (mutual option), AJ Pollock (club option), Jorge Soler (opt-out)
Designated hitter: Nelson Cruz, J.D. Martinez, Andrew McCutchen
Starting pitcher: Tyler Anderson, Chris Bassitt, Carlos Carrasco (club option), Mike Clevinger, Jacob deGrom (opt-out), Nathan Eovaldi, Sonny Gray (club option), Zack Greinke, Andrew Heaney, Rich Hill, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Sean Manaea, Wade Miley, Aaron Nola (club option), Martín Pérez, José Quintana, Carlos Rodón, Luis Severino (club option), Ross Stripling, Noah Syndergaard, Jameson Taillon, Justin Verlander (player option), Michael Wacha, Taijuan Walker (player option)
Relief pitcher: Anthony Bass (club option), Zack Britton, Andrew Chafin (player option), Aroldis Chapman, Alex Colomé, Michael Fulmer, Chad Green, Brad Hand, Kenley Jansen, Tommy Kahnle, Ian Kennedy, Craig Kimbrel, Corey Knebel, José Leclerc (club option), Seth Lugo, Trevor May, Rafael Montero, Adam Ottavino, David Phelps, Taylor Rogers, Will Smith (club option)

Ok Reds fans, let's do a little dreaming since it's November. Let's throw all out the window on the Reds willingness to spend, the Castellini's etc. Who would YOU like to see the Reds go after to fill some holes on this team.

Moustakas has typically been just a slightly above average major league hitter (prior to 2021 and 2022). 60% to 75% of that would be a below-average, poor player, not unlike the guys who inhabited the Reds’ lineup throughout much of 2022.

Asking Moustakas — a third baseman quizzically converted to second base — to continue to play second base into his mid-30s would have been a major stretch even if he stayed healthy, but his lack of conditioning and carrying a good 20 to 25 excess pounds made 2nd base an impossibility the past couple of years, and he stinks at third base too because he’s so out of shape.

Thank God Jonathan India emerged to uproot Moose at second base.

Well I think a couple of things there, first of all, with the current shifting that goes on - which will go away next season - the "range" of players is now become as small part of their defense, especially infielders. Secondly, the Reds got a huge break with the NL adopting the DH full time. My guess is, all things being equal Moustakas will be the DH the majority of the time, he'll spell Votto some.

And yes, one of the few bright spots over the last two seasons is Jonathan India. Now, I feel he may not be equipped for 2nd base full time moving forward. He's adequate at 2nd base at best. I wonder if he could eventually become an outfielder. Health will be his big thing moving forward. And we have a ton of middle infielders coming up through the ranks.

Notable free agents for 2022-23

Catcher: Willson Contreras, Omar Narváez, Gary Sánchez, Christian Vázquez, Mike Zunino
First base: José Abreu, Josh Bell, Brandon Belt, Yuli Gurriel, Eric Hosmer (opt-out), Trey Mancini, Anthony Rizzo (player option), Miguel Sanó (club option)
Second base: Adam Frazier, Josh Harrison (club option), César Hernández, Rougned Odor, Jonathan Schoop (opt-out), Jean Segura (club option), Kolten Wong (club option)
Third base: Brandon Drury, Aledmys Díaz, Evan Longoria (club option), Justin Turner (club option)
Shortstop: Tim Anderson (club option), Xander Bogaerts (opt-out), Carlos Correa (opt-out), José Iglesias, Dansby Swanson, Trea Turner
Outfield: Andrew Benintendi, Michael Brantley, Corey Dickerson, Adam Duvall, Joey Gallo, Robbie Grossman, Mitch Haniger, Aaron Judge, Kevin Kiermaier (club option), Manuel Margot, Wil Myers (club option), Brandon Nimmo, Joc Pederson, David Peralta, Tommy Pham (mutual option), AJ Pollock (club option), Jorge Soler (opt-out)
Designated hitter: Nelson Cruz, J.D. Martinez, Andrew McCutchen
Starting pitcher: Tyler Anderson, Chris Bassitt, Carlos Carrasco (club option), Mike Clevinger, Jacob deGrom (opt-out), Nathan Eovaldi, Sonny Gray (club option), Zack Greinke, Andrew Heaney, Rich Hill, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Sean Manaea, Wade Miley, Aaron Nola (club option), Martín Pérez, José Quintana, Carlos Rodón, Luis Severino (club option), Ross Stripling, Noah Syndergaard, Jameson Taillon, Justin Verlander (player option), Michael Wacha, Taijuan Walker (player option)
Relief pitcher: Anthony Bass (club option), Zack Britton, Andrew Chafin (player option), Aroldis Chapman, Alex Colomé, Michael Fulmer, Chad Green, Brad Hand, Kenley Jansen, Tommy Kahnle, Ian Kennedy, Craig Kimbrel, Corey Knebel, José Leclerc (club option), Seth Lugo, Trevor May, Rafael Montero, Adam Ottavino, David Phelps, Taylor Rogers, Will Smith (club option)

Ok Reds fans, let's do a little dreaming since it's November. Let's throw all out the window on the Reds willingness to spend, the Castellini's etc. Who would YOU like to see the Reds go after to fill some holes on this team.
OK I'll play since you said to disregard the Reds penny-pinching. Here is the ideal Reds lineup, keeping a few Reds:

C - Contreras
1B - Rizzo
2B - India
SS - T. Turner
3B - J. Turner
LF - Haniger
CF - Kiermaier
RF - Judge
DH - Votto
Bench - Stephenson, Senzel, Farmer, Fraley
SP - DeGrom, Verlander, Greene, Nola, Lodolo
Bullpen - Jansen, W. Smith, Knebel, Hand, Diaz, Sims, Antone, Cessa

That's my 26 man roster. Might be a little over budget, but let me manage instead of Bell and we win 115 games.

In reality, the Reds will get zero players from that list of FA.

OK I'll play since you said to disregard the Reds penny-pinching. Here is the ideal Reds lineup, keeping a few Reds:

C - Contreras
1B - Rizzo
2B - India
SS - T. Turner
3B - J. Turner
LF - Haniger
CF - Kiermaier
RF - Judge
DH - Votto
Bench - Stephenson, Senzel, Farmer, Fraley
SP - DeGrom, Verlander, Greene, Nola, Lodolo
Bullpen - Jansen, W. Smith, Knebel, Hand, Diaz, Sims, Antone, Cessa

That's my 26 man roster. Might be a little over budget, but let me manage instead of Bell and we win 115 games.

In reality, the Reds will get zero players from that list of FA.
I guess I could have said to be semi-realistic, but thanks for playing.

I guess I could have said to be semi-realistic, but thanks for playing.
Semi-realistic is that the Reds do not get anyone. Either that, or they overspend for a washed up / poor player (like Minor), so perhaps we sign Longoria?