The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

For all of the geniuses who said Suarez was done last year, who doubted when I said that Suarez would get back to his old self...

Last night in the heat of a pennant race, against the Braves, he hit HRs 29 and 30. 30 was a walk-off winner in the 9th vs. Kenley Jansen. Enjoy being wrong.
Good for Geno, but he would not had made a difference for us this year.

Good for Geno, but he would not had made a difference for us this year.
I did not say that - that was not my point at all.

Last year at this time, you, Zeeman and a few others said Suarez was terrible and washed up, and I said he would be back to his prior form. You cheered when he was traded for basically nothing.

I also said that his salary ($11M) is reasonable for his production. This year Suarez is tied with Devers as the 11th highest salary for 3rd basemen. He is 2nd in HR and 6th in RBI among 3rd basemen. The guys ahead of him (Arenado, Machado, Ramirez) make double or triple his salary. Only exception is Riley for Atlanta, he is having a great year at a low salary. But Suarez is a GREAT value at his salary.

That is my point.

I think Milwaukee over-thought this process. They thought they could move Hader, who they were likely not going to resign, Devin Williams would be their closer and they'd live happily every after. But there's so much more than that. Players know. When you give away players, players know.

Now the only rub I have with your NFL comparison is that NFL money is not guaranteed, and only certain position players get big dollars. Baseball doesn't have that, and the baseball players union is 10 times stronger than the football union. As you can guess with any union negotiations, the MLB players union will never give anything back, even if it ruins the game. Unions are about keeping and adding jobs and increasing money. If and only if you see such a negative reaction from baseball that franchises are not profitable, THEN you may see some changes. I'm afraid with no changes, baseball will become like the NHL and become such a nitche sport. And hockey blew up their player salaries about 10-15 years ago to just be as good as it can be.
I agree with you about what Milwaukee thought, but it was not good thinking.

As for the NFL salary floor/cap, it has nothing to do with contracts not being guaranteed, those are two separate matters. The hard cap and the 90% floor forces all teams to have salaries in the same range for the season, and therefore you get great competitive parity. If they cancel a guys contract the next year, they still have to spend on other players to get within the floor/cap range.

I did not say that - that was not my point at all.

Last year at this time, you, Zeeman and a few others said Suarez was terrible and washed up, and I said he would be back to his prior form. You cheered when he was traded for basically nothing.

I also said that his salary ($11M) is reasonable for his production. This year Suarez is tied with Devers as the 11th highest salary for 3rd basemen. He is 2nd in HR and 6th in RBI among 3rd basemen. The guys ahead of him (Arenado, Machado, Ramirez) make double or triple his salary. Only exception is Riley for Atlanta, he is having a great year at a low salary. But Suarez is a GREAT value at his salary.

That is my point.
Point made.

I agree with you about what Milwaukee thought, but it was not good thinking.

As for the NFL salary floor/cap, it has nothing to do with contracts not being guaranteed, those are two separate matters. The hard cap and the 90% floor forces all teams to have salaries in the same range for the season, and therefore you get great competitive parity. If they cancel a guys contract the next year, they still have to spend on other players to get within the floor/cap range.
Good luck getting the MLBPA to agree to anything like this. So are you in the camp that the bottom teams need to pay more, or the top teams need to pay less?

Good luck getting the MLBPA to agree to anything like this. So are you in the camp that the bottom teams need to pay more, or the top teams need to pay less?
You are right that the MLB and MLBPA would never agree to this, without a lot of pain.

It would be logical for the owners to want a hard cap to limit their expenses. The MLBPA doesn't want a cap, they want players to make as much money as they can.

It would also be logical for the MLBPA to want a salary floor, because that would make the cheap teams spend more, but the owners and the MLB would not want to agree to a floor - it is forced spending.

If I were king for a day, I would propose a hard cap at something like $225 million. Right now four teams (Philly, Mets, Yankees and Dodgers) exceed that number. The NFL model of the floor being 90% is too much of a change in the MLB, ffloor would be over $200M. So lets cut the owners a little slack and say the floor is 70% of the cap. So with my proposed cap of $225M, the salary floor would be $158M. Right now only 12 teams are above that floor, so even this would be an impossible negotiation. But hey I can dream about parity in the MLB...

Last edited:
Listened to the start of the Reds/Pirate game today. I didn’t recognize a few names in the starting line up for the Reds. I know the Bucs cause I follow them a bit. Reds scored 1 run in 18 innings. Better be careful or they may end up last after all. Not that it matters much at this point.

Listened to the start of the Reds/Pirate game today. I didn’t recognize a few names in the starting line up for the Reds. I know the Bucs cause I follow them a bit. Reds scored 1 run in 18 innings. Better be careful or they may end up last after all. Not that it matters much at this point.
The slow death march toward 100 losses continues. I don’t think they’ll get there, but it’ll be close. They have to go 6-15 or worse to hit 100 losses. They have 4 games left vs the Pirates and 6 vs the Cubs, so they have enough games where they should be able to compete.

I’m already penciling them in to lose 4 of the 5 games in St. Louis, so that would leave them needing to go 5-11 or worse in the other 16.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Imagine telling yourself one year ago that the Reds would play a doubleheader on Sept. 13, 2022, where Luis Cessa and someone named Fernando Cruz would start the two games. The night game’s lineup would feature TJ Friedl, Stuart Fairchild, Aristides Aquino, Spencer Steer, Matt Reynolds, Alejo Lopez, Donovan Solano, Chuckie Robinson and DH Nick Senzel. The game would be broadcast by Joey Votto.

You’d have to think there was either a massive Covid outbreak that sidelined the real team, or the real team had died in a plane crash or something.

A salary floor of $140M and cap of $220M would be very doable and would fix a lot of the inequity in the game.

Imagine telling yourself one year ago that the Reds would play a doubleheader on Sept. 13, 2022, where Luis Cessa and someone named Fernando Cruz would start the two games. The night game’s lineup would feature TJ Friedl, Stuart Fairchild, Aristides Aquino, Spencer Steer, Matt Reynolds, Alejo Lopez, Donovan Solano, Chuckie Robinson and DH Nick Senzel. The game would be broadcast by Joey Votto.

You’d have to think there was either a massive Covid outbreak that sidelined the real team, or the real team had died in a plane crash or something.

yep sad times in Cincy. I've stopped watching a while back. Check the box scores in the morning. I do keep a closer eye when Lodolo starts since he is on my fantasy team...

A salary floor of $140M and cap of $220M would be very doable and would fix a lot of the inequity in the game.

We are on the same page. But the time to do it was during the lockout / negotiation that just passed.

You are right that the MLB and MLBPA would never agree to this, without a lot of pain.

It would be logical for the owners to want a hard cap to limit their expenses. The MLBPA doesn't want a cap, they want players to make as much money as they can.

It would also be logical for the MLBPA to want a salary floor, because that would make the cheap teams spend more, but the owners and the MLB would not want to agree to a floor - it is forced spending.

If I were king for a day, I would propose a hard cap at something like $225 million. Right now four teams (Philly, Mets, Yankees and Dodgers) exceed that number. The NFL model of the floor being 90% is too much of a change in the MLB, ffloor would be over $200M. So lets cut the owners a little slack and say the floor is 70% of the cap. So with my proposed cap of $225M, the salary floor would be $158M. Right now only 12 teams are above that floor, so even this would be an impossible negotiation. But hey I can dream about parity in the MLB...
I love your proposal and in a perfect world, I'd vote you king for not only today, but maybe tomorrow. The major issue that you are taking into account that the players/ union and owners don't is a simple one.

Their own interests supersede what would be best for the sport in the long run. This isn't foreign, it's evolved over time. College sports used to be pure and wholesome. It was an "extra-curricular" activity where bright minds could get an education AND play a sport, if time allowed.

All I can say about yesterday's game is...Listless. I've rooted for this team all season, and for the most part, I feel like they've given the effort, even in an awful season.
But the last 3 days with the Pirates, this team has mailed it in. If you follow me here at all, I am not a David Bell fan. He has little to no personality and is not a leader. Now we can say that he's had lot of injuries to deal with the and a front office that took some talent from him, but I just don't see a manager that inspires his players to play. And in today's game, that's what managers do. We see many of the same poor performances and there's no repercussions. Generally if a pitcher is bad for a significant period, they put him on the DL, which is honestly a joke now. Does anyone believe so many players are actually hurt, or are these just ways to move guys up and down from triple A. I can only hope that the day after the season is over, the slate is wiped clean and Bell is sent packing. We need some enthusiasm, we need someone that can inspire young players.

yep sad times in Cincy. I've stopped watching a while back. Check the box scores in the morning. I do keep a closer eye when Lodolo starts since he is on my fantasy team...
I watch/ listen/ follow every game as much as possible. Days like yesterday is really difficult. This is a team of guys who you would think, regardless of record would be scratching and clawing for good performances for next season. These guys are auditioning everyday. For me, getting on base is a product of not only hitting, but working the count, taking what the defense gives you. We simply do not do that in any way shape for form. Do you think there was anyone yesterday who maybe tried to drop a bunt down? Hit the other way? When we get a runner on, do we try to hit and run or start a runner? I just don't get it.

I agree Bell has probably seen his last season. However this is the young guys chance to prove their worth. If a player on the downside of the 40 man roster isn’t out there busting his butt then I probably don’t want him on my team. I mean I think the Pirate staff 1 hit the Reds in Game 2..that’s not acceptable.

Reds should do better than 7-17, we should be OK. I see 7 games against the Pirates, 6 against the Cubs, 4 vs. the Brewers.
This brilliant post was written a mere 3 days ago. Since this post, the Reds are 0-4 vs. the Pirates. Fantastic!

Now the Reds need to go 7-13 to avoid 100 losses, and my confidence has dwindled.

1119499D-F7C4-4026-826E-86F39770852F.jpeg

The only nice part of the team being an atrocity is getting a crack at seats like this for pennies on the dollar.

Had a nice day, but this team appears destined to hit the 100-loss threshold.

I'll keep following the Reds and all, but I'll say these last 4 days have been the low point this season. We just got swept by the Pittsburgh Pirates, being outscored 24-8 in the 4 games, shut out once and scoring 1 run in one game. And against a Pirate team that has a bunch of no names pitching? But David Bell is "proud" of the guys effort.... SMH.

Diamond seats, what did those run you, if I may ask. Sticker on those is $250 per seat.
You can easily snag the outer view level seats for like $4 on any weekday matinee game, and sit basically anywhere you want. However I haven't even done that this year as a refuse to give a dime to this joke of a team.

You can easily snag the outer view level seats for like $4 on any weekday matinee game, and sit basically anywhere you want. However I haven't even done that this year as a refuse to give a dime to this joke of a team.
Yea, because that $4 is really going to hurt them. My feelings is this, you're either all in or not. Nothing worse that bandwagon fans who only go when the team is winning. We've noted on here dozens of times that the ticket revenues is not a big deal to teams anymore. They have many other ways to make their millions.

Yea, because that $4 is really going to hurt them. My feelings is this, you're either all in or not. Nothing worse that bandwagon fans who only go when the team is winning. We've noted on here dozens of times that the ticket revenues is not a big deal to teams anymore. They have many other ways to make their millions.
You’re the only one who’s said ticket sales aren’t a big deal. In 2019 the Yankees lead the league making about $470 million after expenses and the Marlins finished last with $47 million. Also remember back to like 2 years ago when all the owners made it very well known they were losing huge money with no fans

$10-20 parking, $15 in concessions, and $11 per beer. And GTHOH with the bandwagon fan nonsense. This team hasn't won so much as a playoff series in my lifetime and they are nowhere close to winning one now, nor do the Reds show any real desire to be competitive for more than a 1-2 year window. They do not deserve our support. I never thought the Reds would be a more poorly run franchise than the Bengals, but here we are.

Why is it essential that people be "all in" on the Reds when the ownership group is not? Can't somebody just want to enjoy a ball game where their team might win?

Five of the worst 8 Reds seasons (by winning percentage) since World War II have been since 2015.
- 2015: 64-98 (.395)
- 2016: 68-94 (.420)
- 2017: 68-94 (.420)
- 2018: 67-95 (.414)
- 2022: 57-86 (.399) final record TBD of course

Pathetic, and the Castellini's do not care. They are in it for money, plain and simple. Fans that are "all in " are suckers.

Seems like maybe 1000 fans in the building?
Surprisingly the Club level down the first base line was nearly full, so there must have been a big group outing up there or something. There were some fans on the first base side. I’d guess maybe 8,000 there based on the Club level being full. I think they announced 12,000 or so paid.