The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to get a feel for where Minerva is at as a program was Minerva able to field a JV team this season and did they have separate 7th & 8th grade teams or did they have to have a combined team?
They did not have a jv team but did play a freshman schedule- had about 30 on the 7th grade team and 20 on 8th grade team and they lost talented kids to cross country this season- numbers are good at lower levels and there is talent, but that is the theme at Minerva. The new coach needs to reverse the trend and kids quitting before high school.

Last edited:
Just getting somebody young and hungry that is willing to put in the work at the younger levels would be helpful. let him learn as the program grows. I really believed that Willison would have won more games than 3 in 2019 and 20 and was the right coach at that time.. . I am not going to bash any coaches or players because this was the most undersized and least talented team that i have season, so to put in the work knowing the results every Friday and admiriable, however, I will say that Hundley was not the right fit for a long term fix. we did not need a retired teacher 3 years ago. There are good athletes in Minerva, they just need to keep playing football and not leave the district. It's obiously going to hard to attract a highly qualified coach so they need to find one who will be patient and keep them program heading in the the right direction.

I know a young hungry coach that, would put this program on his back and try to build something starting with the lower levels.

Woodridge always gets better as the season goes on. I pick Salem to win but it will
Not be easy. Woodridge rattled off some pretty good wins the second half of the schedule

They did not have a jv team but did play a freshman schedule- had about 30 on the 7th grade team and 20 on 8th grade team and they lost talented kids to cross country this season- numbers are good at lower levels and there is talent, but that is the theme at Minerva. The new coach needs to reverse the trend and kids quitting before high school.
Same story every year NBC. We have good youth and middle school teams and they slowly fade as they get into high school. I have nothing against Hundley but we was not the right coach for the job. Minerva football has always been a big part of the community, people want to know what's going on with the team and want to hear for the coach. Pick up the Minerva News Leader and read a write up about a Minerva game, there is never a quote from Hundley, not about the team, not about the kids- nothing. We get about 4 or 5 paragraphs on page 2 of the sports section of the MINERVA PAPER!. Even when we won those few games over the last 2 years there was nothing from him. Then read about the golf team, soccer team and cross country teams where the coaches passionately talk about their programs and kids, win or lose. Malvern Football is the front page news, not Minerva football. Kids and parents see this and Football has become the "other" sport in Minerva.. Most people in Minerva don't even know what Hundley looks like.

It's time to turn the page and get someone in here that will dive in and turn this thing around from the bottom up. It's doable with the right leadership but it will take a lot of work. If we get the right coach the community will get behind the program again but he as to be as good at being salesman and politician as he is s a football coach. Jimmys and Joes win games not Xs and Os. Minerva never has enough Jimmys and Joes..

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Jim Tsilimos (Carrollton Coach) apply for the Minerva job the same time Hundley did? However Hundley is good friends with a admin. (Alberts). Like I said, I could be wrong but what I heard. Maybe the coach isn’t what needs changed there.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Jim Tsilimos (Carrollton Coach) apply for the Minerva job the same time Hundley did? However Hundley is good friends with a admin. (Alberts). Like I said, I could be wrong but what I heard. Maybe the coach isn’t what needs changed there.
I heard that too, not sure how true it is though.

Let's go with:

CVCA 21 at West Branch 48
Woodridge 28 at Salem 44
Canton South 27 at Ursuline 41

D 4 Region 15
Cambridge 20 at Carrollton 27

I heard from a pretty reliable source that Tsilimos was a finalist and most wanted him but Hundley got the job. it is a fact that he was buddies with both the administrator you mentioned and the retired AD. I don't know if that's why he got hired or if he interviewed so well that he got the job based on merit. Hundley is an impressive speaker and he does look the part. It certainly seemed liked the right hire at the time but then stuff like this surfaces and just seems like there was and agenda. Mangun moved from AD to the high school principal and Waller is the new AD. Hopefully they have enough influence to get the right coach.

I heard from a pretty reliable source that Tsilimos was a finalist and most wanted him but Hundley got the job. it is a fact that he was buddies with both the administrator you mentioned and the retired AD. I don't know if that's why he got hired or if he interviewed so well that he got the job based on merit. Hundley is an impressive speaker and he does look the part. It certainly seemed liked the right hire at the time but then stuff like this surfaces and just seems like there was and agenda. Mangun moved from AD to the high school principal and Waller is the new AD. Hopefully they have enough influence to get the right coach.
I heard the same thing but i also heard that Hundley interviewed well and did deserve the job.

I saw the brackets. WB can win 2 but it won't be easy, Perry could be their 3rd game and that will be a tough one to win. Salem and South are in the opposite half and have deal wih Ursuline and VASJ. Carrollton can get their revenge against St, Clairsville in week 2..
Hopefully Carrollton will be looking forward to playing St. C. and give the Bobcats a chance to sneak up and surprise them. The Warriors look solid again this year.

West Branch- A favorable first round matchup and a bunch of energy behind the team. I expect them to come out flat early but CVCA lacks the power to capitalize and the warriors will pull away in the second half

Salem- The Quakers have dropped three really close games, they could easily be undefeated but here they are. I don't know how much fire they will have coming into this playoff game and with rain in the forecast a solid running team like Woodridge could be just the right recipe to pull off an upset. First two drives will tell the tale in this one

Canton South- The Wildcats are not great up front and are going to need a Herculean effort to keep the game close defensively. They do have athletes to score all over the field but they'll need a stop at some point to win the game, can they get it?

Carrollton- The loss to Marlington sticks in my mind going into this one but going by common opponents I have to think the Warriors have the edge here. There's always a possibility they lay an egg but getting back on track with Minerva has them pointed in the right direction

Having played for Hundley in the past I'm not surprised to hear these things. Hopefully Minerva can get the right man the next go around

Lets talk about players real quick

Who do you think will be 1st team all EBC?

2nd team EBC?

Honorable mention?
O and D lineman Haines from Minerva 1st or 2nd team. Receiver Kibler may deserve honorable mention. No others from Minerva.

Deshield or Johnson player of the year IMO.

O and D lineman Haines from Minerva 1st or 2nd team. Receiver Kibler may deserve honorable mention. No others from Minerva.

Deshield or Johnson player of the year IMO.
Honestly, it would be ridiculous if any Minerva player gets first team. A few years ago that was ok but this version of the Lions are exceptionally bad and the league is way deeper than it has been as of late, those first team slots come at a premium now

Honestly, it would be ridiculous if any Minerva player gets first team. A few years ago that was ok but this version of the Lions are exceptionally bad and the league is way deeper than it has been as of late, those first team slots come at a premium now

Why would it be ridiculous??? Its about the Individual with those and not team records......

Kaiden Haines is a man child, he's a tank. He would be a huge factor for any team...

I do agree awards should not be handed out but Haines is really good on both sides of the ball as a lineman and it would not be a "gimme" if he gets it.. Last years Lions had a couple of pretty good players and the deserved honors. This year Kaiden Haines is a really good football player and should get an honor. If the rule is to have a player on first team then, in my opinion, it should be him and he may deservie first team . There was really no one else the stood out consistently and if anyone on that team gets any honor before him it would be a mistake. He is the one player from Minerva that can play on any EBC team.

Last edited:
I think through the league when you finish last your get 1 or 2 first team. League has it broke down. It what it is. Coached put them up and that’s that. No vote anymore. I do agree with Shoot, when you average 5 points a game and give up 54 on the average. There are no 1st team on that roster.

Lets talk about players real quick

Who do you think will be 1st team all EBC?

2nd team EBC?

Honorable mention?
The best players I saw..missed a few games
Deshields-WB
Snyder-south
Johnson-Salem
Oelstrum(sp?)-carrollton
Davis/zurbrook -alliance
Evanich-marlington
Deshields should definitely be POY imo…10-0 is tough and he is the best player on that team…wonder the last Jr to win POY..might go back all the way to Alden hill from marlington?

I think through the league when you finish last your get 1 or 2 first team. League has it broke down. It what it is. Coached put them up and that’s that. No vote anymore. I do agree with Shoot, when you average 5 points a game and give up 54 on the average. There are no 1st team on that roster.
I agree with 99.9% of your statement. Awards should be given based on play on the field, not because of a league rule that every gets a first teamer. Haines deserves an award and 2nd team would still be an honor and 1st team would be understandable, his is really good and played hard every single snap. If any other kid on the team gets higher that honorable mention it would be 100% Minerva politics at it's finest.

didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. Just saying the Haines is the only one that stood out as and all league type player whether it be 1st or 2nd team. He is a good player and played really hard. I would be fine wiht 2nd team or HM.

Last edited:
The best players I saw..missed a few games
Deshields-WB
Snyder-south
Johnson-Salem
Oelstrum(sp?)-carrollton
Davis/zurbrook -alliance
Evanich-marlington
Deshields should definitely be POY imo…10-0 is tough and he is the best player on that team…wonder the last Jr to win POY..might go back all the way to Alden hill from marlington?
WB and Salem's offensive lines looked really good. I am sure some of those players will be on 1st team. Colletti from Carrollton looked good as D-Back.. Wilson at WB is a heck of a receiver and Marra impressive on both sides of the ball. Exline is a stud from Salem.

Obvious that Harris is coach of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.