The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rough schedule paid off for alliance- there are going to be some really good games the 2nd half of the season.
Well we started off slow and was down 14-0....Salem could have put an early nail in the coffin.....on the Alliance 49 yd line it was 4th and 5....instead of punting Johnson elected to go for it....incomplete pass Alliance ball....got some momentum and drove down for a TD....14-7

Alliance beats Salem tonight because they played a strong OOC that got their young kids reads for league play. You schedule soft your kids will play soft. Louisville and Howland would be go additions to the league.
I know we still play Louisville but it will be hard to convince the league to bring them back..not just football but the other sports... Howland issue might be travel..... CCC would be a nice addition

Marlington 42, Minerva 7
Minerva hung with Marlington on the line of scrimmage- the QB had time to throw, 21-7 at the half but you cannot turn the ball over 4 times and be successful. I really think it may be time to look at the personnel and make some changes to prepare for the future . The problem is the lions are facing the hardest part of the schedule. Bright spots for the Lions were linemen Haines and Benedict, every time I watched them a duke was on his back. Some freshmen looked good on defense, Gropp made a lot of tackles. The lions did show some fight and played hard. I am a fan of the offense they are running but there are way too many turnovers.

I've said it before on Yappi, that I really hope that Minerva is able to turn things around. We could have a fun OOC series against each other. Because I'm too lazy to read through all the previous posts, is the problem due to losing kids to other schools? If so, what schools? Or is it a case where kids don't play football due to other sports? Is the coach active in the school recruiting his own halls?

I've said it before on Yappi, that I really hope that Minerva is able to turn things around. We could have a fun OOC series against each other. Because I'm too lazy to read through all the previous posts, is the problem due to losing kids to other schools? If so, what schools? Or is it a case where kids don't play football due to other sports? Is the coach active in the school recruiting his own halls?

What school are you from?

I have been to a few Minerva games and I have asked the same question about the kids. I have been told their Cross Country team has about 30-40 members. I have been told that they have lost kids to Malvern. I have also been told Kids will not play high School football because of the losing record and they dont want to be apart of that or do all the practicing to lose.

I have heard the coaches, not just the head coach always ask the boys to play football and try to get them out..

Minerva Community loves their football team. No matter what the stands are almost packed. I enjoy going to a few of their home games just to see the community support.

I have been to a few Minerva games and I have asked the same question about the kids. I have been told their Cross Country team has about 30-40 members. I have been told that they have lost kids to Malvern. I have also been told Kids will not play high School football because of the losing record and they dont want to be apart of that or do all the practicing to lose.

I have heard the coaches, not just the head coach always ask the boys to play football and try to get them out..

Minerva Community loves their football team. No matter what the stands are almost packed. I enjoy going to a few of their home games just to see the community support.
Looks like their middle school teams have won a few games. Gotta keep those kids together.

This Minerva football issue is much deeper than this thread. CC has built an outstaning program and kids want to run, the middle schoool program is outstanding. We lost 1 football player and 3 baskeball players to Malvern. We lost a football player to Perry, all in the last year.And coutless player to other sports. Kids don''t want to play football because the stop having fun in middle school. I heard the coaches ask kids to play but only after they stop playing in middle school and by then it's too late. The current head coach is a mystery to most peopple in the community, nobody knows who he is. Unitl the coach gets involved in the community, has a presence at the youth level and builds a good middle school program, the varsity results will not change. The numbers are very good at the youth level and the program is run very well. It is no longer special to be a high school football player in MInerva. Until the changes Minerva will be the doormat of the league in football while being competive in most other sports.

Looks like their middle school teams have won a few games. Gotta keep those kids together.
you are 100% correct!! The 8th grade lost 5 or 6 kids that are extremely good athletes from last years team, they are running cross country. The trend is continuing. Hopefully a few of them hate running and get back on the gridiron!!

Games this week:
Alliance at Carrollton - this is probably the game of the week, I will give Alliance edge in a close one, 27-21. Allance beeting Salem last week opened some eyes, or is Salem overrated because of a weak OOC schedule?

Canton South at Marlington -South wins big, 55-14. South's 42 point game against WB was impressive in the loss.

Minerva at Salem - Salem wins big, 56-10. Minveva's remaining opponents have a combined record of 21-4 so things are going to be challenging the 2nd half of the season. Salem should have easy wins the next 2 week but then have Carrollton, South and WB to end the season.

Howland at West Branch - WB is putting up big numbers but this may be closer than some think. Howland is 2-3 but lost close ones to D3 Ravenna, Poland and Boardman. I still like WB 42-24. I would much rather see a WB-Louisville match up this week.

I have Carrollton winning against alliance 35-27. Canton South rolling. Salem rolling. West Branch willing by 3-4 scores if they dont turn the ball over.

Games this week:
Alliance at Carrollton - this is probably the game of the week, I will give Alliance edge in a close one, 27-21. Allance beeting Salem last week opened some eyes, or is Salem overrated because of a weak OOC schedule?

Canton South at Marlington -South wins big, 55-14. South's 42 point game against WB was impressive in the loss.

Minerva at Salem - Salem wins big, 56-10. Minveva's remaining opponents have a combined record of 21-4 so things are going to be challenging the 2nd half of the season. Salem should have easy wins the next 2 week but then have Carrollton, South and WB to end the season.

Howland at West Branch - WB is putting up big numbers but this may be closer than some think. Howland is 2-3 but lost close ones to D3 Ravenna, Poland and Boardman. I still like WB 42-24. I would much rather see a WB-Louisville match up this week.
I have Carrollton winning against alliance 35-27. Canton South rolling. Salem rolling. West Branch willing by 3-4 scores if they dont turn the ball over.
I can seen Carrollton winning too, that should be a fun game!!

Games this week:

I wouldn’t say Salem is Overrated. I thought that was one of the better Salem teams I’ve seen. Alliance just outplayed them Friday night and got some crucial stops and turnovers.

Crestview

I agree that the Alliance at Carrollton Game is the game of the week. Last year it came down to the wire, with my son having a late QB sack in the game to seal the deal. Alliance has a lot of raw talent, and I feel that this game will go down to the wire! It will be a game that is physical, and won in the trenches. I Have Carrollton pulling out a close one 34-31 on homecoming weekend!

Canton South travels to Marlington. I think the Wildcats will win this one 45-12.

Salem will win easily over Minerva. 55-6. Props to the Minerva kids for sticking with it!

Howland at West Branch . The Warriors should roll in this one 45-14. Big game the following week for them!

I think that this league is highly competitive, and fun league this year!

I wouldn’t say Salem is Overrated. I thought that was one of the better Salem teams I’ve seen. Alliance just outplayed them Friday night and got some crucial stops and turnovers.
That’s what I think but had to ask the question , that’s why I picked Alliance over a tough Carrollton team..

Last edited:
I am a die-hard Minerva Lions fan and to me, there ain't a whole lot of things in life better than being a Minerva Lion. Even at the ripe old age of 53. Winning and losing has zero bearing on my passion for my school, these kids or the amazing village that I get to call home everyday. With that being said, it's beyond disappointing watching kids who only get 4 years of Friday nights, and those four years go by at meteoric speed, have to continue to pay such a steep price for selfish adult decisions. Any coach that applies to be part of this great football program NEEDS to have every confidence in the world of a level hiring field. With the only criteria being, is he the best man out of the pool of candidates to lead our program and our young men. Also, every kid on this team should have the confidence of being able to legitimately compete for any position on the football field with the best man winning the job. These two things have to be unequivocal. The first and most important step to our course correction is to start putting that running Lion first when making decisions. The Lion has to come first when we make a hire and the Lion has got to come first when deciding who our BEST 11 on the field are. You are awfully naive if you believe this has been going on. Friendships and DNA have to stop being the decision makers within our school. And it isn't just the football program that's been guilty of this nonsense. Kids deserve better.

I am a die-hard Minerva Lions fan and to me, there ain't a whole lot of things in life better than being a Minerva Lion. Even at the ripe old age of 53. Winning and losing has zero bearing on my passion for my school, these kids or the amazing village that I get to call home everyday. With that being said, it's beyond disappointing watching kids who only get 4 years of Friday nights, and those four years go by at meteoric speed, have to continue to pay such a steep price for selfish adult decisions. Any coach that applies to be part of this great football program NEEDS to have every confidence in the world of a level hiring field. With the only criteria being, is he the best man out of the pool of candidates to lead our program and our young men. Also, every kid on this team should have the confidence of being able to legitimately compete for any position on the football field with the best man winning the job. These two things have to be unequivocal. The first and most important step to our course correction is to start putting that running Lion first when making decisions. The Lion has to come first when we make a hire and the Lion has got to come first when deciding who our BEST 11 on the field are. You are awfully naive if you believe this has been going on. Friendships and DNA have to stop being the decision makers within our school. And it isn't just the football program that's been guilty of this nonsense. Kids deserve better.
Ive heard it was like this on prior coaching staffs, is it still like that? I heard this hire was (outside the normal Minerva box) so i figured it would be different. If not wow and as a proud Carrollton grad I know how you feel and never want to see a team and its kids struggle horribly. I really like to see carrollton beat minerva but not at the level its been.

That’s what I think bud had to ask the question , that’s why I picked Alliance over a tough Carrollton team..
Wasn’t arguing with you just saying.

Alliance is a team that will get better as the season grows. Lots of sophomores and freshman are making an impact on Friday nights. Carrollton poses a different threat with their play style and their run game. It’s going to come down to who can win the LOS like most football games but can Alliance run the ball? Only like 50 yards rushing against Salem.

Alliance is a team that will get better as the season grows. Lots of sophomores and freshman are making an impact on Friday nights. Carrollton poses a different threat with their play style and their run game. It’s going to come down to who can win the LOS like most football games but can Alliance run the ball? Only like 50 yards rushing against Salem.
Alliance is always one of the most individually talented teams in the ebc its just can they bring that talent together and perform as a team. When they do they are a very formidable team. I hope Carrollton wins and I agree who can control the line of scrimmage and make the least mistakes will win this game. Just from what Ive heard both sides have a habit of making mistakes/turnovers at critical parts of the game.

I know you were't arguing, that it going to be a heckuva game and a great atmosphere this Friday!!

Ive heard it was like this on prior coaching staffs, is it still like that? I heard this hire was (outside the normal Minerva box) so i figured it would be different. If not wow and as a proud Carrollton grad I know how you feel and never want to see a team and its kids struggle horribly. I really like to see carrollton beat minerva but not at the level its been.
I hear that some kids are treated diffeently that others..

Alliance is always one of the most individually talented teams in the ebc its just can they bring that talent together and perform as a team. When they do they are a very formidable team. I hope Carrollton wins and I agree who can control the line of scrimmage and make the least mistakes will win this game. Just from what Ive heard both sides have a habit of making mistakes/turnovers at critical parts of the game.
You do realize Alliance has about a dozen sophomores and freshman combined starting for them at this moment. When Alliance has a junior-senior laden team yes you are correct.

You do realize Alliance has about a dozen sophomores and freshman combined starting for them at this moment. When Alliance has a junior-senior laden team yes you are correct.
If I'm an opposing coach, I wouldn't give one rip what Alliance's record was. I don't care if they are winless or one win on the year, they always have a team capable of beating you. Alliance has underclassmen talent that is equal, if not better than a lot of other teams seniors. They are never short on athleticism. Since my Lions aren't in contention, I would love to see Carrollton finish this year off with an EBC football championship. I know they are our rival but it would be nice to see the little guy win one every now and then.

is there any one you would like to have lead the Minerva football team?

This Minerva football issue is much deeper than this thread. CC has built an outstaning program and kids want to run, the middle schoool program is outstanding. We lost 1 football player and 3 baskeball players to Malvern. We lost a football player to Perry, all in the last year.And coutless player to other sports. Kids don''t want to play football because the stop having fun in middle school. I heard the coaches ask kids to play but only after they stop playing in middle school and by then it's too late. The current head coach is a mystery to most peopple in the community, nobody knows who he is. Unitl the coach gets involved in the community, has a presence at the youth level and builds a good middle school program, the varsity results will not change. The numbers are very good at the youth level and the program is run very well. It is no longer special to be a high school football player in MInerva. Until the changes Minerva will be the doormat of the league in football while being competive in most other sports.

From what I hear the kids say, there is a coach either at the High School level or Middle School level that wants to build that program from the ground up. I will have to ask what Coach they was talking about. But I agree the Minerva Community is great to our Football players, time to make the team involved with the community again.

Status
Not open for further replies.