The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Krall and Dick Williams should be the first heads to roll since they assembled this team. Then let the next guy decide what to do with Bell and everybody else

At some point this has to be psychological, like a guy who makes less than 50% of his Free Throws. You get to the 5th Inning with 0 runs and think “here we go again.”

First of all, missed most of game due to work. Just tuned in to see the HR. SHeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Getting shut out twice - I never would have guessed. But as frustrated as we all are, most of us know enough about baseball to know that Castellanos, Moose, Suarez, WInker, Votto are not suddenly terrible players and you throw out the whole lineup. Hell, in baseball, 60 games is barely a significant body of work, let alone freaking out after 2 shutouts. Votto is clearly slipping at age 37, but the other guys I listed can all produce. This team is not that far off.

First of all, missed most of game due to work. Just tuned in to see the HR. SHeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Getting shut out twice - I never would have guessed. But as frustrated as we all are, most of us know enough about baseball to know that Castellanos, Moose, Suarez, WInker, Votto are not suddenly terrible players and you throw out the whole lineup. Hell, in baseball, 60 games is barely a significant body of work, let alone freaking out after 2 shutouts. Votto is clearly slipping at age 37, but the other guys I listed can all produce. This team is not that far off.
I work 3rd shift so I was initially happy these games were on at noon. I would've rather been at work than watch this disaster

Unless something has changed in sports recently if a team doesn't score any points, reuns, goals etc. they don't win. Pretty simple concept

Votto needs to go or at least dropped way down in the line up. The Reds HAVE to get a SS, catcher and CF who can hit. Senzel is a bust and made of paper. Casali/Barnhardt are automatic outs. Way too many holes in this lineup. If Bauer leaves this team will implode

Krall and Williams should be the first heads to roll since they assembled this team. Then let the next guy decide what to do with Bell and everybody else

Williams is the son and nephew of 2 of the owners. Not that I disagree, but there’s a good chance he doesn’t go anywhere.

Either Realmuto or Semian would be my top tgt in FA. I’m sure Lindor will be on the trade block in the winter, but I can’t imagine paying a hefty price tag for a rental

Of the list Omar provided, Springer would be at the top of my list. Reds desperately need an OF who can leadoff and get on base. The Senzel experiment should be over. Also, bringing Gregorious back to the organization wouldn't be a bad move. SS is another position that needs an upgraded bat.

Regarding the staff, the only staff member that has any business coming back is Derek Johnson. He has done amazing work bringing Gray back to form and the pitching overall speaks for itself. Alan Zinter needs to be fired tomorrow. What about a guy like Barry Larkin to come in as the bench/hitting coach? Guys like Moose, Castellanos and Suarez just didn't become bad hitters, I just think the philosophy of the team as a whole is bad. No bunts, rarely hit the ball the other way, poor plate protection and just flat out terrible execution with 2 strikes. Their 2 strike swing is the same as their 3-1 swing.

I do think the core of this team is set up to complete for several year to come. They need to develop a higher % of their draft picks. The front office is not going to bump the payroll to bring in high priced free agents.

Last edited:
Of the list Omar provided, Springer would be at the top of my list. Reds desperately need an OF who can leadoff and get on base. The Senzel experiment should be over. Also, bringing Gregorious back to the organization wouldn't be a bad move. SS is another position that needs an upgraded bat.

Regarding the staff, the only staff member that has any business coming back is Derek Johnson. He has done amazing work bringing Gray back to form and the pitching overall speaks for itself. Alan Zinter needs to be fired tomorrow. What about a guy like Barry Larkin to come in as the bench/hitting coach? Guys like Moose, Castellanos and Suarez just didn't become bad hitters, I just think the philosophy of the team as a whole is bad. No bunts, rarely hit the ball the other way, poor plate protection and just flat out terrible execution with 2 outs. Their 2 strike swing is the same as their 3-1 swing.

I do think the core of this team is set up to complete for several year to come. They need to develop a higher % of their draft picks. The front office is not going to bump the payroll to bring in high priced free agents.
Can they really afford Springer?

I didn’t realize he was related to that Williams family.

Yep. He’s the grandson of D*ck Williams who had an ownership stake in the Reds during the BRM days. The Williams brothers had a minority interest in the Cardinals before they bought the Reds. They’ve been around baseball their entire lives. I’m cautiously optimistic they can still bring a WS back to Cincinnati.

Since he's been oddly silent, I'll say it for him, they should resign Hamilton. Only 1 mil with a .125 batting average, should be a bargain price.

Probably not, but I'd be hopeful they could find a way.
if it were realistic, he’d easily be my top tgt. They need guys who can get on base and actually hit for average. I hate how Major League hitting is evolving into this goofy all or nothing mentality. It’s ok for a few guys but having entire teams constantly swinging for the fences is dumb. At a certain point common sense had to prevail over analytics bc guess what a hitter’s exit velocity on a strike out is... Zero.

I never thought I’d say this to start the year, but the bullpen doesn’t need nearly as much work. Simms, Lorenzen, Garret, and Iglesias (not counting today) really came into form. Simms looked particularly impressive at the end of the year.

Agreed, once they settled into the season, the bullpen was plenty good enough to win if you field a proper offense. I don’t think many changes are needed in the pen.