The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I think the Reds are just fine where they are. Took a quick peak at the Braves pitching. Their starters outside of Fried, have pretty much been a mess and not very good. Fried leads the team with only 50 K's on the year. This seems like a really good matchup for the Reds.
Game 1 should be a doozy with Bauer and Fried on the hill.

Interestingly Fried is only averaging less than 5 innings a start but has been dominant. Reds need to be patient and run his pitch count up.

Interestingly Fried is only averaging less than 5 innings a start but has been dominant. Reds need to be patient and run his pitch count up.
Don’t worry, Votto and Suarez will take several pitches. Several strikes down the middle and then swing at balls in the dirt, what could go wrong ??

I'm hopeful pitching rules this series, and our guys just pitch to their capability. While Fried is a tough lefty, he won't go deep and Bauer is better. And I really like Castillo and Gray vs the "TBD" twins. Atlanta is all about offense. If we can somewhat control Freeman, Ozuna, Acuna and our old friend Duvall, we can win this series.

I just hope the TBD boys are right-handed. We have always struggled against soft-tossing lefties, and the last week Keuchel, Brett Anderson, and Rich Hill all stymied us. I'm sure Atlanta noticed that also...

Agreed. Fried was on the DL with back spasms early in Sept, and then twisted an ankle in his last start.

I think it's likely rookie Ian Anderson will pitch game 2 for the Braves. In 6 starts, he has been pretty darn good.

I could be pitching for the Braves and stymie the Reds lineup. Worst hitting team since 1910, let that sink in for a minute. Only chance the Reds have is to win close games with their stellar pitching and HOPE for any kind of run support. With all that said, it is playoff baseball and who knows ??

If "worst hitting team" means "batting average" to some uninformed folks that don't understand baseball math, OK.

Yes, the Reds .212 batting average is atrocious - dead last in baseball. But because of all the walks taken, the OBP is better, but still only 24th in the MLB. But because the Reds have power, their OPS is 19th in the MLB. Not great, but livable, with great starting pitching. And it you look at the offensive stats the last 3 weeks, combined with the starting pitching, no team wants to play the Reds. We just need to hope we remain the team that played the last 3 weeks.

Anyone else depressed the reds aren’t playing tonight?
With no NHL or weeknight college football for the rest of this year, October is really going to suck once the MLB playoffs are over. We're sorta going to go back to not having sports again until college basketball starts back up.

If "worst hitting team" means "batting average" to some uninformed folks that don't understand baseball math, OK.

Yes, the Reds .212 batting average is atrocious - dead last in baseball. But because of all the walks taken, the OBP is better, but still only 24th in the MLB. But because the Reds have power, their OPS is 19th in the MLB. Not great, but livable, with great starting pitching. And it you look at the offensive stats the last 3 weeks, combined with the starting pitching, no team wants to play the Reds. We just need to hope we remain the team that played the last 3 weeks.
Or we can hope that these averages start floating up to the back of the baseball card, which means the offense is due for a real heater.

Or we can hope that these averages start floating up to the back of the baseball card, which means the offense is due for a real heater.
I mean Votto has a 900+ ops since he was benched. Just need a couple other guys to turn the corner with him....Suarez, Castellanos, Moose, Winker. This reds offense is a time bomb everyone in the NL hopes continues to sleep.

Decision was made at some point that make up games after the end of the regular season would only be played if a playoff spot or home field in the first round were at stake. Another screwy thing about this season.

Makes sense I guess. It could have changed matchups, but I agree the best matchup for the Reds in a best of 3 series is one with suspect starting pitching outside of their #1 and that strikes out a lot. I'm fine playing Atlanta and St. Louis only needed one win to guarantee the C2 spot.

I mean Votto has a 900+ ops since he was benched. Just need a couple other guys to turn the corner with him....Suarez, Castellanos, Moose, Winker. This reds offense is a time bomb everyone in the NL hopes continues to sleep.
? their BA when they put the ball in play is .245, pitchers last year was .235 ?

Thought you put me on ignore ??

Agreed. Shogo has also been good for a month, and Moose woke up in the last week. So much potential in that lineup...

In an effort to "play the matchups" David Bell has put not one, but two players in the lineup that are hitting .180. Sorry, but when your average is that bad, you're not hitting anyone regardless of "the matchups".

In an effort to "play the matchups" David Bell has put not one, but two players in the lineup that are hitting .180. Sorry, but when your average is that bad, you're not hitting anyone regardless of "the matchups".

Ding-a-ling is "Mr Righty vs. lefty matchup". I swear that is all he understands. Not having Shogo in the lineup for lefy/righty reasons is flat out stupid. Shogo has been on base a ton this month. Having said that nice hit by Senzel leading off.