The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

It’s a 60 game season almost anything can happen. Plenty of teams have been leading their division over the years after 60 games and never smelled the POs after 162. I think any team in the Central could win sans the Pirates and I’m a Buc fan.
Then put the reds first.

i really like the Reds chances in this shortened season. The starting staff is one of the best in baseball, adding Shogo and Castellaneos should really solidify the daily lineup. Heck, the Punisher isn't even going to be on the team. Too many outfielders.

i really like the Reds chances in this shortened season. The starting staff is one of the best in baseball, adding Shogo and Castellaneos should really solidify the daily lineup. Heck, the Punisher isn't even going to be on the team. Too many outfielders.

Umm I'd say he stands a good chance of making the team. Extended rosters and full-time DH pretty much assures it as long as he's healthy and doesn't hit a huge slump

Umm I'd say he stands a good chance of making the team. Extended rosters and full-time DH pretty much assures it as long as he's healthy and doesn't hit a huge slump
Aquino will train in Mason with the minor leaguers, instead of at GABP with everyone else. Thought that was kind of strange. He's the only player that's likely to make the team that won't be at GABP

Aquino will train in Mason with the minor leaguers, instead of at GABP with everyone else. Thought that was kind of strange. He's the only player that's likely to make the team that won't be at GABP

Possibly to work with a specific coach/coaches? I've come to the conclusion that none of this season will make sense. I just hope it happens.

Yeah - I noticed Aquino on the Mason list and OF Mark Payton (?) is with the GABP unit. Makes no sense to me. After what Aquino did last year, if he is not on the roster to start the year, some serious explaining needs to happen. Gotta give him a chance to see if he can catch fire again, unless he is hurt or something.

Yeah - I noticed Aquino on the Mason list and OF Mark Payton (?) is with the GABP unit. Makes no sense to me. After what Aquino did last year, if he is not on the roster to start the year, some serious explaining needs to happen. Gotta give him a chance to see if he can catch fire again, unless he is hurt or something.

Payton is the Rule 5 pick, so he has to stay on the MLB roster or be offered back to the A's. Aquino, with options remaining, seems to possibly be falling victim to that situation. That said, given the oddity of this season, the Rule 5 procedures ought to be relaxed.

If the choice is winning or keeping Mark Payton as a Red, that is an easy choice for me. Put the Aquino big bat in the lineup every day until he proves last year was a fluke. Keep in mind what Aquino did for a 56 game stretch last year. Anyone who does that for 60 games this year will be MVP.

Payton is the Rule 5 pick, so he has to stay on the MLB roster or be offered back to the A's. Aquino, with options remaining, seems to possibly be falling victim to that situation. That said, given the oddity of this season, the Rule 5 procedures ought to be relaxed.
This is insanity. Thanks for explaining

In a 60 game season all the games are important. But let's not make the first Detroit game "must-win" please.

Frustrating that the MLB dinosaurs can't ever have an original or creative thought. They are so stuck on 3 and 4 games series that they built in a lot of extra travel and some serious inequities, like the Reds play STL 3 times in Cincy and 7 times in STL. And the Cubs come to Cincy for 7 games and we play 3 in Wrigley.

I realize there won't be a home-crowd influence on the games, but it is an advantage to bat last. Shows a huge lack of imagination. How hard would it be for STL to come to Cincy for a 5 game series, and we go to STL for 5? Travel is reduced, and schedules are equitable. Simple.

Having said all that, I'm excited and ready to watch my Reds.

In a 60 game season all the games are important. But let's not make the first Detroit game "must-win" please.

Frustrating that the MLB dinosaurs can't ever have an original or creative thought. They are so stuck on 3 and 4 games series that they built in a lot of extra travel and some serious inequities, like the Reds play STL 3 times in Cincy and 7 times in STL. And the Cubs come to Cincy for 7 games and we play 3 in Wrigley.

I realize there won't be a home-crowd influence on the games, but it is an advantage to bat last. Shows a huge lack of imagination. How hard would it be for STL to come to Cincy for a 5 game series, and we go to STL for 5? Travel is reduced, and schedules are equitable. Simple.

One game isn’t make or break, but they need to win at least 4, preferably 5 of those first 7 games vs the Tigers, that’s nearly 1/6 of the season upfront vs one of the worst teams in the League. Have to strike while the iron is hot

Very true, you could had thought outside of the box with the 5 game series. I'm excited to see the competition of the games. How many times in April and May are we frustrated because we feel the manager gives games away because he doesn't want to burn up the bullpen or leave a starter in to take one for the team. Every game is going to have to be viewed as critical and you'll see teams pull pitchers early if they get in trouble and really try to win every single game.

Who's your two or three most critical Reds for the 2020 season? Who are two or three guys we can point to in October to say they are the reason we're in the world series, or we didn't make the playoffs?
Mine, in order...
1. Nick Senzel - #1 pick a few years ago, derailed early by injuries and vertigo. Had a good, but not great 2019. Got off to a good start last year, but then had a few injuries and ended the season at .256 12 homers. He's hit much better at every minor league stop and is projected to be better. He can hit everywhere in the lineup and for his first season in centerfield, he did well.

2. Trever Bauer - This is the guy in the pitching staff that can take us from a contender to a champion. Bauer was awful with the Reds last year, and you can kind of give him a pass. He was in a new league, non-contending team and he's just quirky enough that all the stars need to align. I really look for him to rebound to his former Cy Young contending self. If Bauer, Castillo and Gray all pitch to their ceiling, we could have 3 #1 starters to throw at teams.

3. Rasiel Iglesias - He can't be worse, right? With the shortened season, bullpens may never be more critical this season. Even if a starter can get you 6 innings- which we'll take every night, the last 3 innings will be critical, and moreso, these guys will need to be ready to go 2/3 days 3/4 days 4/6 days. It may be an inning, it may be an out.

At this point I'm very confident with this team. The bullpen is a little question mark at this time. Do we have enough to get from the 5th to the 8th?

I agree with Bauer and Iglesias being key guys.

But IMO Votto is most key. We cannot have the traditional slow Votto start, because the season will be over before he gets going. If Joey comes out solid, getting on base at his normal .420 or so clip in front of all the power bats, this offense will really produce.

So the Reds players have began wearing BLM t shirts at practice. Been a fan since I was eight years old so almost 50 years. Sad day for me as I’ll never watch or listen to them again. Marty must have been clairvoyant

So the Reds players have began wearing BLM t shirts at practice. Been a fan since I was eight years old so almost 50 years. Sad day for me as I’ll never watch or listen to them again. Marty must have been clairvoyant

We'll miss all the great insight you bring to this page

Oh I’ll still be on here just not following the Reds at all. I know y’all would miss me if I was gone

I look forward to your posts about a team you don't listen to, watch or follow. It'll be like Red14 got a brother except I think he really does watch every game.

Jesus, you people are pretty fragile. Grow up.

Yet, on the other hand, people like you won't be in the stands anymore in future seasons. Cool.

Oh I’ll still be on here just not following the Reds at all. I know y’all would miss me if I was gone
We understand. Pathetic trolls gotta troll.

Funny that you get so butt-hurt over what t-shirt some Reds players where. Should they not have opinions about community matters? Dope.