The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Because there's no baseball to talk about. Sad because this was going to be Billy Hamilton's break out year
So Brian, let's say baseball can resume July 1, there's an 80 game schedule. What do you feel would be some of the Reds strengths and weaknesses?

I think an 80 game season would be very interesting. My concerns are there's a lot of new guys on this team. They'll need to mesh quickly. A bad week could ruin your chances. It'd be interested to see what they're able to do in terms of a Spring Training for pitchers. I think it hurts the Reds if their starters can only go 3-4 inning their first few starts. It'll be interesting if players start going off to states that are opening so they can train. There's a lot of questions if there will be some rule changes. I guess until we know that it makes it hard to predict.

I think an 80 game season would be very interesting. My concerns are there's a lot of new guys on this team. They'll need to mesh quickly. A bad week could ruin your chances. It'd be interested to see what they're able to do in terms of a Spring Training for pitchers. I think it hurts the Reds if their starters can only go 3-4 inning their first few starts. It'll be interesting if players start going off to states that are opening so they can train. There's a lot of questions if there will be some rule changes. I guess until we know that it makes it hard to predict.
No matter, it's going to be a reduced season of some kind. I think teams are going to need to use the first 15-20 games as an extended spring training. I'd rather they play games than mess around at spring training. I"m sure they'll be even more cautious than ever with pitcher. And it's funny we talk so much about pitchers. Tom Browning pitched for the Reds 30 years ago, his inning totals his first 7 seasons, 261, 243, 183, 250, 249, 227, and 230. no less than 32 starts in those seasons and as many as 39. Basically a 4 man rotation. My how times have changed. We have 5 man rotations and they throw alot less innings.

It sounds like the plan's now for teams to report to their home stadiums and do a modified Spring Training. This limits most teams to intra squad scrimmages. They mentioned cities that had two clubs could play each other but I think that gets set down by all the other clubs. I'm guessing at this point in things pitchers have at least found way to get throwing work in. Maybe simulated innings? Even with that I'd look for MLB to expand the rosters maybe to the entire 40 man roster or more. Here's my reasoning...if there's no Minor League season where do you call guys up from when injuries occur?

It sounds like the plan's now for teams to report to their home stadiums and do a modified Spring Training. This limits most teams to intra squad scrimmages. They mentioned cities that had two clubs could play each other but I think that gets set down by all the other clubs. I'm guessing at this point in things pitchers have at least found way to get throwing work in. Maybe simulated innings? Even with that I'd look for MLB to expand the rosters maybe to the entire 40 man roster or more. Here's my reasoning...if there's no Minor League season where do you call guys up from when injuries occur?
Here's an idea. Have the entire Triple A team travel with the major league club. So when the Reds play the Cubs in Wrigley, the Bats play the Iowa Cubs in the morning at Wrigley. Just do that for every club. Call ups are right down the hallway

Here's an idea. Have the entire Triple A team travel with the major league club. So when the Reds play the Cubs in Wrigley, the Bats play the Iowa Cubs in the morning at Wrigley. Just do that for every club. Call ups are right down the hallway
That’s crazy enough to work. So it definitely won’t happen.

I suspect the 40-man roster idea is what happens. In order to get 100 games in, with an alleged July 1 start, there would be more double headers and fewer off days needed.

I'm all about calling guys up from local construction sites for emergency roster moves. Those end up as good stories anyways.

I suspect the 40-man roster idea is what happens. In order to get 100 games in, with an alleged July 1 start, there would be more double headers and fewer off days needed.
What happens when both games of a doubleheader get rained out? Rescheduling could turn into a major clusterfck with a shorter season and fewer off days. If the regular season is extended until mid/late October, scheduled doubleheaders shouldn't be necessary.

What happens when both games of a doubleheader get rained out? Rescheduling could turn into a major clusterfck with a shorter season and fewer off days. If the regular season is extended until mid/late October, scheduled doubleheaders shouldn't be necessary.
Playoffs into late November? What if teams from Boston, NY, Chicago, (Cincy) make the playoffs? I'd prefer fewer regular season games.

Playoffs into late November? What if teams from Boston, NY, Chicago, (Cincy) make the playoffs? I'd prefer fewer regular season games.

But MLB, MLBPA and sponsors want as many regular season games as possible because the'll make money off TV broadcast and players salaries are based on regular season games.

Oh no Brian...many on this thread think Sonny Gray and Trever Bauer have been sitting on their couch and haven't touched a baseball in 6 weeks...They'll need two months to ramp up throwing... I've said all along these guys are throwing some. I'd give them 2-3 weeks to get revved up, the expanded pitching rosters will help. It's time...

I don't think they've been sitting on their couch. I also believe they haven't been getting their normal work in as fields, gyms and the sort have been closed. I've seen videos of pitchers building their own mounds to get work in. My question is, where will they be when they get to their teams? Players do plenty on their own before Spring Training yet still need that time to acclimate to actual games. A majority of position players haven't seen MLB live pitching since the sudden stoppage. And one major unknown...how will this years performance be used in contract negotiations/arbitration hearings? You think a guy in his contract year wants to go throw batting practice for their first 2-4 starts? And will their inning average be hurt because teams are using them less? Not as easy as just expanding rosters. And it's clearly not time yet as no American sports have returned to practice or competition

Honestly, it's been so warm the last few winters especially into November that weather shouldn't be a major issue. If there's no fans in attendance then it would make more sense to move the entire playoffs to FL/AZ/CA anyway and play at neutral venues.

Honestly, it's been so warm the last few winters especially into November that weather shouldn't be a major issue. If there's no fans in attendance then it would make more sense to move the entire playoffs to FL/AZ/CA anyway and play at neutral venues.
I'm operating on the sincere hope that fans are back in stadiums by fall. But if not, your suggestion is very logical.

Oh no Brian...many on this thread think Sonny Gray and Trever Bauer have been sitting on their couch and haven't touched a baseball in 6 weeks...They'll need two months to ramp up throwing... I've said all along these guys are throwing some. I'd give them 2-3 weeks to get revved up, the expanded pitching rosters will help. It's time...
spoken like someone who last played in 7th grade. "throwing some" and facing live MLB hitters with adrenaline running are 2 very different things.

I don't think they've been sitting on their couch. I also believe they haven't been getting their normal work in as fields, gyms and the sort have been closed. I've seen videos of pitchers building their own mounds to get work in. My question is, where will they be when they get to their teams? Players do plenty on their own before Spring Training yet still need that time to acclimate to actual games. A majority of position players haven't seen MLB live pitching since the sudden stoppage. And one major unknown...how will this years performance be used in contract negotiations/arbitration hearings? You think a guy in his contract year wants to go throw batting practice for their first 2-4 starts? And will their inning average be hurt because teams are using them less? Not as easy as just expanding rosters. And it's clearly not time yet as no American sports have returned to practice or competition
Brian this is a very unusual circumstance this season. And it's going to take some give and take. We already have a race to the end of the year due to weather that you don't have all the time in the world to get this season in. I'd rather have a 100 game season, than a 6 week spring training and a 75 game season. The more product the better. Spring training has worn out it's welcome. It's more for the Arizona and Florida cities that host teams making money than anything baseball wise. These are pro athletes, not the first time they've played the game. By having extra pitchers on the roster, you can bring these guys along slowly if you wish. My guess is you'll see starters throw no more than 3-4 innings, 50 pitches their first couple of starts. BTW, love the banter.

But can you really take that chance? What if there's a snowstorm in NYC in mid November and it does not get better? Or better yet, the Twins are actually pretty good, what if they make the world series?

spoken like someone who last played in 7th grade. "throwing some" and facing live MLB hitters with adrenaline running are 2 very different things.
They can be ready to go much quicker than you think. Take off the training wheels.

They can be ready to go much quicker than you think. Take off the training wheels.
Thanks for reinforcing my point. You just have no clue. Granted my son only pitched in college, not professionally, but it takes a little time even for 19-21 year olds to get there. I'm sure it is even harder for heavily muscled professional athletes 25-35 years old.

You keep posting non-sense about "6-week spring training". I don;t think anyone on here is proposing that. But I'd hope for 4 weeks, with a few "live" outings for the pitchers.

I'd rather see quality rather than see it sooner.

Also - Red14 - can you please give us the story on the new avatar photo? Inquiring minds want to know. Does this mean you no longer are an Aquino fan? This picture looks like a young Captain Kangaroo. Do tell.

Also - Red14 - can you please give us the story on the new avatar photo? Inquiring minds want to know. Does this mean you no longer are an Aquino fan? This picture looks like a young Captain Kangaroo. Do tell.
Its from the Last Dance. Security guard beat Michael in a bet throwing quarters at a wall

Thanks for reinforcing my point. You just have no clue. Granted my son only pitched in college, not professionally, but it takes a little time even for 19-21 year olds to get there. I'm sure it is even harder for heavily muscled professional athletes 25-35 years old.

You keep posting non-sense about "6-week spring training". I don;t think anyone on here is proposing that. But I'd hope for 4 weeks, with a few "live" outings for the pitchers.

I'd rather see quality rather than see it sooner.
I pitched in high school and college, now granted it was 30 years ago, but we really can "push" these guys a little more. Do you know in Tom Browning's rookie season, he threw 261 innings? And mind you, these guys did have most of a spring training two months ago. They are not and have not been doing nothing for 6 months. Michael Lorenzen may be the most "muscled" pitcher in the history of baseball and he's constantly posting him throwing. July 1 is 7+ weeks away so for you guys that want 6 weeks, some decisions better be getting made to open training facilities and having players start going there.

As Arrogate said this is the dude from The Last Dance on Sunday, he was mimicking Jordan after he took some money from him betting on throwing quarters closest to the wall. He's my new hero! I think he was security for the United Center. Kind of cool when you see athletes develop relationships with the "regular" folks. Now do you know the story behind the shrug he was doing?

I pitched in high school and college, now granted it was 30 years ago, but we really can "push" these guys a little more. Do you know in Tom Browning's rookie season, he threw 261 innings? And mind you, these guys did have most of a spring training two months ago. They are not and have not been doing nothing for 6 months. Michael Lorenzen may be the most "muscled" pitcher in the history of baseball and he's constantly posting him throwing. July 1 is 7+ weeks away so for you guys that want 6 weeks, some decisions better be getting made to open training facilities and having players start going there.

Things have changed a bit from when Tom Browning was a rookie. I'm sure there's reasoning why they don't "push" guys. Also, Michael Lorenzen does a ton of work on flexibility and core strength. but hasn't thrown more than 83.1 innings in a year except for the year he started.

As Arrogate said this is the dude from The Last Dance on Sunday, he was mimicking Jordan after he took some money from him betting on throwing quarters closest to the wall. He's my new hero! I think he was security for the United Center. Kind of cool when you see athletes develop relationships with the "regular" folks. Now do you know the story behind the shrug he was doing?

Makes sense, and that was the MJ shrug against the Jazz, I believe, in the playoffs when he was red hot.

Makes sense, and that was the MJ shrug against the Jazz, I believe, in the playoffs when he was red hot.
Close, it was in the finals against the Blazers. Jordan, not known as a 3 point shooter, hit like 6 in the first half against Clyde Drexler and the Blazers.