The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Finally watched parts of a Reds game last night. Perez with a big HR, and a clutch go-ahead hit by Morgan in the 9th. Reds win game 7 of the 1975 World Series. Big Saturday night at my house.
Was it live or memorex?

MLB should consider opening the regular season in Arizona if need be. There's ten stadiums in AZ, so play every game out there (even the Grapefruit League teams) until they can play in front of fans again. It would eliminate traveling through airports and it would be much easier to quarantine each team because all the stadiums are within like a 40 minute drive. And the 115° temps will only help to kill the virus ?

Stagger start times so east coast teams start at 7pm ET and then the west coast teams start when it gets dark.
This idea is gaining traction. But if there aren't enough Coronavirus tests available by then to test every player, coach, ump, etc regularly, then the season probably won't happen. Would look really bad if the general public didn't have enough tests while MLB used thousands of them

This idea is gaining traction. But if there aren't enough Coronavirus tests available by then to test every player, coach, ump, etc regularly, then the season probably won't happen. Would look really bad if the general public didn't have enough tests while MLB used thousands of them

That would be weird, but if it can be done safely why not at this point? Baseball is very low contact compared to other sports, so it might have a greater likelihood of being able to start sooner. Agree, there are a lot of obstacles re: testing that would need to be resolved.

Jeff Passan gives a few more details on what would be different, including an electronic strike zone and seven inning doubleheaders

Everybody keeps making a big deal out of not being able to play games in the daytime because of the 115 degree heat out there. Is that any worse than playing in Atlanta or St Louis when it's 95 and humid? I honestly don't think so. I hiked in Utah when it was 105 degrees. Yeah it's hot as hell but drink water and you'll be fine.

Bringing back sports and having the athletes tested numerous times isn't going to go over well with the rest of the country that's having extreme difficulties getting access to them. I want sports back but there are other things more important at this time.

I have no problem with games being in Arizona and most of their other suggestions. You simply can't tell the rest of America that baseball player's lives are more important than theirs.

I would guess like anyone else, if you don't have symptoms, you don't need tested. If you do have symptoms, you get tested, if your positive you go on the DL, just like any other injury illness.
Remember, these guys are young, professional athletes. There has not been a pro athlete who's tested positive that has had any major medical problems. I think baseball's bigger issue is these 65-75 year old managers and coaches, they may be asked to stay away for the time being.

I would guess like anyone else, if you don't have symptoms, you don't need tested. If you do have symptoms, you get tested, if your positive you go on the DL, just like any other injury illness.
Remember, these guys are young, professional athletes. There has not been a pro athlete who's tested positive that has had any major medical problems. I think baseball's bigger issue is these 65-75 year old managers and coaches, they may be asked to stay away for the time being.

So basically by the time anyone feels symptoms they'll go on the DL after they've contaminated the field, hotel, bus, locker room and everything else. But who cares because they're a professional athlete and they should beat it. Don't see any holes in this plan at all. I mean the players laughing at the idea that they would leave their family's for 4-5 months during a pandemic isn't going over well. The 'idea' has all but been shot down now, MLBPA won't agree.

So basically by the time anyone feels symptoms they'll go on the DL after they've contaminated the field, hotel, bus, locker room and everything else. But who cares because they're a professional athlete and they should beat it. Don't see any holes in this plan at all. I mean the players laughing at the idea that they would leave their family's for 4-5 months during a pandemic isn't going over well. The 'idea' has all but been shot down now, MLBPA won't agree.
Just to play along Brian, is this much different than the regular flu that runs through locker rooms nearly every season for most teams? I mean, is the stage set now that anytime a player has the flu they are going to be asked to self quarantine for x number of days? I mean seriously. And as I'd stated on another thread, this is a first draft idea, there's other things to consider and I think MLB's plan may be to START the season this way, then in a month or two, go back to regular venues if possible, or look for alternate ways to conduct business. I don't think quarantineing teams for 4-5 months is realistic.

And..if you have if but don't get sick, which is about 90% and above of young, healthy people??? So again, why??
Because they could spread it to others who may not be young and healthy. Are you really this dense? They aren’t going to play without assurances they will be tested to protect their health and those around them.

I think he's pretty much saying it's fine if everyone in baseball get's it. Players should be fine because he hasn't heard of American Professional Athletes dying. Those athletes that are in the same age range and have died don't count because they weren't part of a major sports league. Who cares if a few umpires die. They make bad calls and should be younger anyways. Front office staff doesn't even really need to be there. What part of this idea seems logical?

The May start date is extremely ambitious, July is probably much more likely. But overall this plan makes the most sense if they're going to play at all.

The only way to start the year will be assuring player health (and those around them). And the only way to safely do that is to test them 1) for antibodies, to determine if they already had the virus; and 2) if they don’t have the antibodies, test them periodically for the virus so they aren’t transmitting it to others. Otherwise, it’s not safe and the season won’t start. Bottomline, these guys aren’t going to risk their health and their families health without these assurances despite what dumbguy fans like 14red want.

Bringing back the Dodgers Reds rivalry would be pretty cool

Pick your Quarantine House...it feels like Baseball Insiders are just throwing out scenarios now to keep us talking about baseball. Once everyone figures out that plan isn't doable they just throw something new out there. Basically the Dana White approach to this. Maybe baseball buys an island

The only way to start the year will be assuring player health (and those around them). And the only way to safely do that is to test them 1) for antibodies, to determine if they already had the virus; and 2) if they don’t have the antibodies, test them periodically for the virus so they aren’t transmitting it to others. Otherwise, it’s not safe and the season won’t start. Bottomline, these guys aren’t going to risk their health and their families health without these assurances despite what dumbguy fans like 14red want.
With the leadership we have now, I predict there will be no sports leagues in 2020. We have fallen into a nation of germaphobes. We somehow have come to a point where we want 100% guaranteed protection. Mind you just a few months back, all races, all people got a cold, the flu, shingles and dozens of other diseases. Sadly, some people die. People die everyday. For some reason some scientists and doctors have grabbed the nation around the throat and is strangling it.
If you don't want pro sports leagues or heck, even common businesses to reopen until it's safe...then we have nothing to discuss. Everyday, there are risks that are out there for people. :rolleyes:

With the leadership we have now, I predict there will be no sports leagues in 2020. We have fallen into a nation of germaphobes. We somehow have come to a point where we want 100% guaranteed protection. Mind you just a few months back, all races, all people got a cold, the flu, shingles and dozens of other diseases. Sadly, some people die. People die everyday. For some reason some scientists and doctors have grabbed the nation around the throat and is strangling it.
If you don't want pro sports leagues or heck, even common businesses to reopen until it's safe...then we have nothing to discuss. Everyday, there are risks that are out there for people. :rolleyes:
Lololol

Imagine not even understanding the simple math behind the mortality rate of COVID-19 vs. the colds, flu and shingles. I actually kind of feel sorry for Red14 now. Having said that, I have to try to explain to him...

Simple math: Highly contagious plus lethal (1 to 2% mortaility rate) equals disaster. There was an early study of this virus by Imperial College in the UK. Based on the numbers from Wuhan and Italy, they projected that without serious mitigation steps, 4 million in the US would die, primarily due to the strain on the healthcare system and scarcity of ventilators. When the POTUS was still saying "this is no big deal", it is good that so many governors took it seriously, or we could have been in a world of hurt.

I love baseball. I miss baseball. I want all my sports back. But this is not the time...

Imagine not even understanding the simple math behind the mortality rate of COVID-19 vs. the colds, flu and shingles. I actually kind of feel sorry for Red14 now. Having said that, I have to try to explain to him...

Simple math: Highly contagious plus lethal (1 to 2% mortaility rate) equals disaster. There was an early study of this virus by Imperial College in the UK. Based on the numbers from Wuhan and Italy, they projected that without serious mitigation steps, 4 million in the US would die, primarily due to the strain on the healthcare system and scarcity of ventilators. When the POTUS was still saying "this is no big deal", it is good that so many governors took it seriously, or we could have been in a world of hurt.

I love baseball. I miss baseball. I want all my sports back. But this is not the time...
Could be wrong, but I thought the unmitigated death total in the us was 2m based on the imperial college model. Certainly doesn’t negate your post either way though.

Could be wrong, but I thought the unmitigated death total in the us was 2m based on the imperial college model. Certainly doesn’t negate your post either way though.
You could be right, I read it several weeks ago. But they gave one unmitigated number (in my head, 2 million), but then factored in the impact of inadequate ventilators. People who would have been saved were lost due to not being able to be put on a vent. I thought that almost doubled the number.

In any event, we agree that rushing back sporting events is a lower priority.

April 20. Eight days with no news about the Reds, and no posts on any MLB thread. This is messed up.

Well MLB just released that teams can lay off managers and coaches starting May 1 so I guess we aren't getting baseball anytime soon.