The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

We should be talking about final roster cuts, Opening Day, etc. Dissappointing. Come on 2020, get your together.

Yep, I miss Thom and anything baseball-related. I even miss Jeff Rimer (Blue Jackets play-by-play guy), and he can be more annoying than Thom.

This whole season is done. I wonder what this will do for players on the last year of their contract?

The season is not done, as long as they get started by July an 81 game season should be no problem. Hell, even a 60 game season is probably feasible. The key will be keeping players and team staff healthy come June, because if any one of them gets infected it will delay everything by at least another month. So if they have to start off playing in front of empty stadiums, then that's fine who cares. MLB should theoretically be much easier to reschedule because they are the only tenants in their stadiums, whereas NBA/NHL will have to work with each other in addition to rescheduling concerts in those arenas. As for the television side you'd have to think all the networks will be bending over backwards to get as many live sports games on as they can once this thing is finally over. Even if the first game back is like Marlins/Pirates it will still break viewership records.

If the NHL and NBA are considering holding the playoffs in August and September then MLB can certainly play into December if need be. Usually it's not even that cold in December anyway.

Last edited:
I would love to see the 1990 season in tact. Actually they could just pick out 162 Reds "games" over the past 20 years and probably come up with alot of good ones.

The season is not done, as long as they get started by July an 81 game season should be no problem. Hell, even a 60 game season is probably feasible. The key will be keeping players and team staff healthy come June, because if any one of them gets infected it will delay everything by at least another month. So if they have to start off playing in front of empty stadiums, then that's fine who cares. MLB should theoretically be much easier to reschedule because they are the only tenants in their stadiums, whereas NBA/NHL will have to work with each other in addition to rescheduling concerts in those arenas. As for the television side you'd have to think all the networks will be bending over backwards to get as many live sports games on as they can once this thing is finally over. Even if the first game back is like Marlins/Pirates it will still break viewership records.

If the NHL and NBA are considering holding the playoffs in August and September then MLB can certainly play into December if need be. Usually it's not even that cold in December anyway.
You’re delusional

You're a wet blanket
Ok that’s fine but there is no way this is over in time for baseball to start and have a legit season. We will be into August or September before this chit is over. Sad because the Reds might have been competitive, it’s the curse of Cincy sports

I am all for an 80 game season or whatever - just gimme some baseball this year. But for sure the MLB (also NHL and NBA) will need some sort of spring training / training camp to get guys in shape and pitchers ready. So even when we get an "all clear" they will need at least 2-3 weeks for that.

Ok that’s fine but there is no way this is over in time for baseball to start and have a legit season. We will be into August or September before this chit is over. Sad because the Reds might have been competitive, it’s the curse of Cincy sports

They shouldn’t have to do Spring Training over. They were a month in before everything was cancelled. I think it’s entirely possible to have a quick 2 week mini spring training the first 2 weeks of July, then start the season.

They shouldn’t have to do Spring Training over. They were a month in before everything was cancelled. I think it’s entirely possible to have a quick 2 week mini spring training the first 2 weeks of July, then start the season.
Hope your right

I think you can get into the season pretty quickly, most of these guys can't go more than 5 innings and 90 pitches anyway. Just go, maybe you could expand the rosters a few more pitchers so teams don't overwork a guy for a month, but I'd rather get the season going sooner than wasting a couple of weeks on spring training games. I"m sure these guys are throwing and hitting daily. Of course using their social distance rules...

So while we're waiting for the regular season to get underway, let's come up with some Reds related topics that we may not go to during the season.

So...name players who would be in the top 10 Reds who were regular first basemen for at least a season?

I don't see "Spring Training" being much less than a month. Teams and the players themselves would rather take their time coming back than rush it and have a bunch of injuries. Players safety shouldn't be put at risk just so we get games quicker.

I think you can get into the season pretty quickly, most of these guys can't go more than 5 innings and 90 pitches anyway. Just go, maybe you could expand the rosters a few more pitchers so teams don't overwork a guy for a month, but I'd rather get the season going sooner than wasting a couple of weeks on spring training games. I"m sure these guys are throwing and hitting daily. Of course using their social distance rules...
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about pitching. You'd be the first one bitching when Castillo or Sonny get an arm injury rushing back.

I don't see "Spring Training" being much less than a month. Teams and the players themselves would rather take their time coming back than rush it and have a bunch of injuries. Players safety shouldn't be put at risk just so we get games quicker.
I think it's a real issue if they take another 4 weeks. These guys should be working out on their own and throwing, hitting. Most do year around anyway. There is really no need for the traditional 6 week spring training season anymore. It's done as much for the economies of Florida and Arizona than anything else now. I think you'll see a 2-3 week ramp up at the most.

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about pitching. You'd be the first one bitching when Castillo or Sonny get an arm injury rushing back.
These guys these days get arm injures weather they come back too quick or wait 6 months. My guess is player compensation will have alot to do with when they return.

I think it's a real issue if they take another 4 weeks. These guys should be working out on their own and throwing, hitting. Most do year around anyway. There is really no need for the traditional 6 week spring training season anymore. It's done as much for the economies of Florida and Arizona than anything else now. I think you'll see a 2-3 week ramp up at the most.

The big issue now is guys are finding issues working out properly. Gyms are closed and so are most HS, Colleges and pro fields. Unless guys are recapping they can't have access to MLB facilities. To think these guys are putting in normal work would be pretty dumb. Not because they don't want to, because they can't.

The big issue now is guys are finding issues working out properly. Gyms are closed and so are most HS, Colleges and pro fields. Unless guys are recapping they can't have access to MLB facilities. To think these guys are putting in normal work would be pretty dumb. Not because they don't want to, because they can't.
Maybe the real young guys, most have big houses with their own facilities to work out. Most have a personal trainer or someone who works out with them, catching pitchers and throwing BP. This isn't the 1950's.

So while we're waiting for the regular season to get underway, let's come up with some Reds related topics that we may not go to during the season.

So...name players who would be in the top 10 Reds who were regular first basemen for at least a season?
Just in my lifetime, the Reds have had at first base...

Lee May
Tony Perez,
Dan Driessen
Pete Rose
Hal Morris
Sean Casey
Joey Votto

Add in Ted Kluszewski from the past.