The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Did Williams say that? Maybe we can we trade Williams then? For a non-dinosaur who understands what he is going to get from a SS with a career OBP at .290.

I know I'm a broken record on Galvis, but he's proven what he is over 7-8 seasons. Great glove, terrible offensive production with an occasional HR. C'mon! If you spend all that money to try and win, don;t leave your 7 and 8 spots in the order as giant liabilities. I'd rather play Senzel at SS and live with a few more errors. Or a Senzel / VanMeter platoon.
In a radio interview about 10 days ago DW said that they (the coaches and front office) felt the throw from the hole in SS would be to tough for Senzel to make especially after his shoulder surgery.

I mean, trade Senzel then if you are just going to platoon him everywhere. Or is the thought that Aquino might be a flash in the pan?
There are still question marks on this team.
Winker, Ervin, Aquino even Senzel have yet to prove themselves at the big league level. Players will get hurt and depth will be important. It's a long season and we may need trade chips in July to fill holes that come up.

Well...that was fun while it lasted. Reds are reporting that Suarez had right shoulder surgery today and the club hopes he'll be available for the start of the regular season. I think I'm going to be sick....
Sounds like it was pretty minor. He should be ready in April.

My thinking is Williams is already regretting picking up the option on Galvis and now feels Galvis needs to start everyday in order to get value out of the deal. Senzel at the very least deserves to play SS in spring training, hopefully he plays well enough to win the job.
Galvis makes sense as a 7 hole hitter. He'll clear the bases 20-25 times with dingers. I don't really care if he draws a walk ahead of Barnhart or the pitcher.

he’s one of the highest rated prospects in The system. No, you don’t give up Senzel and India for a rental, that’s f’n dumb. And Lindor doesn’t make them a WS contender bc the Bullpen still sucks. Until they fix the god dam bullpen, they’re just a borderline playoff team. They might even win the Division, but they’re no threat to someone like the Dodgers to win the NL.
Every team has a weakness. I don't think the Reds BP is as big a weakness as you say though. Frankly, there isn't anyone better on the market than what they currently have.

he’s one of the highest rated prospects in The system. No, you don’t give up Senzel and India for a rental, that’s f’n dumb. And Lindor doesn’t make them a WS contender bc the Bullpen still sucks. Until they fix the god dam bullpen, they’re just a borderline playoff team. They might even win the Division, but they’re no threat to someone like the Dodgers to win the NL.
Why the anger? We’re talking baseball about a team that’s vastly improved. We are all just giving opinions, it’s not like I’m the owner

There are still question marks on this team.
Winker, Ervin, Aquino even Senzel have yet to prove themselves at the big league level. Players will get hurt and depth will be important. It's a long season and we may need trade chips in July to fill holes that come up.
They should have a pretty good idea who can step forward. Sounds like you think they’re done.

They should have a pretty good idea who can step forward. Sounds like you think they’re done.
I think they are pretty well near their budget and want to keep their farm intact until July. Swapping Seager or Correa or even Story for Galvis and prospects would work financially but I'm not sure there's a deal there to be made... yet. Maybe in July.

Galvis makes sense as a 7 hole hitter. He'll clear the bases 20-25 times with dingers. I don't really care if he draws a walk ahead of Barnhart or the pitcher.
His last 5 seasons as a full time player he has hit 7, 20, 12, 13, 23 HR. So 75 HR with 650 K and a .290 OBP. So yes, he will occasionally hit an HR, but by and large he is a wasted AB. At least Barny gets on base at a .330 clip and only has 340 K in his last 5 years. There is something to be said for putting the ball in play.

I mean, if Galvis plays, I will root for him to succeed, but history says it is not likely.

Every team has a weakness. I don't think the Reds BP is as big a weakness as you say though. Frankly, there isn't anyone better on the market than what they currently have.

I agree. Other than the Yankees who have stocked a bunch of expensive guys in the pen, bullpens are a fickle thing. One year they are great, and the same guys the next season are just OK. I think Iglesias, Lorenzen, Garrett, Stephenson all have great arms and great stuff. The question is can they command it, like they all have done at times in the past.

Signing FAs in the pen is also subject to chance. David Hernandez was solid the first year and garbage the next after the Reds signed him. Ditto Hughes. The Reds have a bunch of big arms in the pen, hopefully they have decent years.

The Reds payroll is currently around 140M. Obviously a record payroll for this franchise. Trade for Seager, Correa or Story that involves Galvis could be financially possible. Lindor would be much more difficult to accomplish without cash coming back.

I think if a trade is made before the season it is more likely to be for a catcher like James McCann. By July the Reds will have a much better grasp on attendance (cash flow) as well as need and their overall position in the league.
Furthermore, I think this team is still in position to compete in the long run as their farm is still intact and they should have payroll available next season to replace the FA.

His last 5 seasons as a full time player he has hit 7, 20, 12, 13, 23 HR. So 75 HR with 650 K and a .290 OBP. So yes, he will occasionally hit an HR, but by and large he is a wasted AB. At least Barny gets on base at a .330 clip and only has 340 K in his last 5 years. There is something to be said for putting the ball in play.

I mean, if Galvis plays, I will root for him to succeed, but history says it is not likely.
I get that but unless they can get Correa, Seager or Story in a trade there isn't a financially viable SS to be had that's a significant upgrade.

Now that I am reading about Senzel's shoulder maybe not being ready for SS, I have to re-think things a bit. I was heading down the road of Senzel in the OF, Castellanos at 3B and Suarez at SS, but now Eugenio has a shoulder issue too, although seemingly minor. We may be stuck with Freddie for now.

Now that I am reading about Senzel's shoulder maybe not being ready for SS, I have to re-think things a bit. I was heading down the road of Senzel in the OF, Castellanos at 3B and Suarez at SS, but now Eugenio has a shoulder issue too, although seemingly minor. We may be stuck with Freddie for now.
Other than VanMeter, there isn't really another option at SS.

Word on the internet is that the Reds are close to an agreement with Pedro Strop. Not sure how I feel about that. Another "big arm / great stuff" guy. When he's on he's lethal, misses a lot of bats. When he's not, it is a walk-a-thon. If we sign him hopefully we mostly get the good Strop.

Word on the internet is that the Reds are close to an agreement with Pedro Strop. Not sure how I feel about that. Another "big arm / great stuff" guy. When he's on he's lethal, misses a lot of bats. When he's not, it is a walk-a-thon. If we sign him hopefully we mostly get the good Strop.
I thought earlier in the season he would be a good pickup on a low price deal with incentives. He's lost some velocity but still throws hard.

Thankfully the Reds have Derek Johnson

Pete the Cheat wants reinstated.....citing the lack of punishment against Astros players.
It's time for Pete to go away, or just stop talking about the hall of fame. This just continues to come off as whiney and petty. He did the crime, and lied to us for 15 years after, denying any wrongdoing until he finally figured out major league base ball wasn't going to budge. Anytime anything comes up negative for baseball, Pete is right there, pouncing on the opportunity to get reinstated. Just stop it. Go sell some more memorabilia, write another book or whatever you do. Pete just comes off as a whiney, bitter old man. He should be better than that.

It's time for Pete to go away, or just stop talking about the hall of fame. This just continues to come off as whiney and petty. He did the crime, and lied to us for 15 years after, denying any wrongdoing until he finally figured out major league base ball wasn't going to budge. Anytime anything comes up negative for baseball, Pete is right there, pouncing on the opportunity to get reinstated. Just stop it. Go sell some more memorabilia, write another book or whatever you do. Pete just comes off as a whiney, bitter old man. He should be better than that.

You must not have been paying attention the last 45 years or so. He belongs in the HOF strictly based on his achievements, he’s one of the best in the history of the game. However, he’s not a good dude and Cincinnati should not embrace him as much as they do.

You must not have been paying attention the last 45 years or so. He belongs in the HOF strictly based on his achievements, he’s one of the best in the history of the game. However, he’s not a good dude and Cincinnati should not embrace him as much as they do.
Pete heard, accepted and signed a LIFETIME BAN.

Is this going to be another year where we get excited about the team and by the all star break we're not even watching them anymore?

Is this going to be another year where we get excited about the team and by the all star break we're not even watching them anymore?
I and most of the posters here watch them all season. Go somewhere else, watch the Giants and complain about netting you old clown.