The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Reds probably won't pony up for what Castellanos wants, and I don't blame them. I'll say it again. Puig is OK by me.

Reds probably won't pony up for what Castellanos wants, and I don't blame them. I'll say it again. Puig is OK by me.
I agree. I think the Reds hold onto their cash and prospects in Hope's that Aquino, Winker/Ervin, Senzel pan out. If they don't and the Reds are in the hunt come July they'll have cash and prospects to get the help neccessary.
Puig definitely would not hinder their ability to acquire help in season.

I've wanted Puig to come back since he was traded. I just haven't seen anything that says the Reds are at at all interested in signing him

I haven't seen much of anyone outside of the White Sox going after Puig. I know he seemed to like Cincy and Cincy loved him.

Sounds like the Reds are definitely still trying to add a corner outfielder. That’s good news imo.

Most interesting of all, perhaps, is the involvement of the Reds in the bidding. Long rumored to be kicking around the market for these bat-first corner outfielders, the club’s recent signing of Shogo Akiyama further stuffed its outfield mix and made a further addition seem unlikely. But Heyman says that the Cincinnati outfit “made a spirited try” to land Ozuna with a multi-year deal.

If indeed the Reds had serious interest in Ozuna, it adds to the plausibility of Heyman’s prior reporting on the team’s pursuit of Castellanos. There are abundant options on hand, but perhaps the club simply isn’t satisfied — or has its eyes on adding another piece to help facilitate a trade involving one or more of its existing outfielders. The theoretical possibilities are endless, adding to the intrigue of the remaining corner outfield market.

I've wanted Puig to come back since he was traded. I just haven't seen anything that says the Reds are at at all interested in signing him
I don't know that the Reds would make this public, unless they wanted to. I'm not real interested in Puig, he played well for us for about 2-3 weeks last year. He really struggled the first two months. Also, I don't know that he wants to be a part time player.

Wow

This certainly should bring some compelling trade talk over the next few weeks.

For sure. You have to assume at this point the outfield is Castellanos, Shogo and Aquino. If Aquino reverts to his pre-2019 form, we have some depth (Winker/Ervin/Jankowski). So now Senzel is either SS or trade bait. Or is he your RF over Aquino? I'm hoping for SS.

I know I said previously that I want to keep Senzel long term, and I do. But at this point, if Cleveland said "You can have Lindor for Galvis, Senzel and India (or a pitching prospect), I pull the trigger. It is go time.

For sure. You have to assume at this point the outfield is Castellanos, Shogo and Aquino. If Aquino reverts to his pre-2019 form, we have some depth (Winker/Ervin/Jankowski). So now Senzel is either SS or trade bait. Or is he your RF over Aquino? I'm hoping for SS.

I know I said previously that I want to keep Senzel long term, and I do. But at this point, if Cleveland said "You can have Lindor for Galvis, Senzel and India (or a pitching prospect), I pull the trigger. It is go time.
What I was saying all along. The Reds have those three (Shogo, Moose and Castellanos) locked up for the next 3-4 years, but this year and next are the window. Trade Senzel, India, Galvis and Santillan if needed.
Line up would be something similar to this:

Lindor SS
Votto 1B
Moos 2B
Suarez 3B
Castellanos LF
Aquino RF
Shogo CF
Barnhardt C
That is strong!
Even if they keep Senzel I would play him at SS and switch him and Shogo in the line up. I'm pumped

Fantastic news. My only concern is that Castellanos totally dominates at GABP like Suarez did last year and opts out after a year.

It will NEVER happen, but Suarez could move to SS, Castellanos plays his native 3B, and Senzel in RF/LF.

I still favor a scenario that brings Cory Seager for Senzel +, if at all possible. Otherwise, giving Senzel a look at shortstop makes sense.

I think Nick Senzel will be the Reds Ben Zobrist. He'll play 2nd, 3rd, short, left, right and center fields at different times, roster flexibility, you have to embrace it.
Now, let's get the bullpen addressed....

What I was saying all along. The Reds have those three (Shogo, Moose and Castellanos) locked up for the next 3-4 years, but this year and next are the window. Trade Senzel, India, Galvis and Santillan if needed.
Line up would be something similar to this:

Lindor SS
Votto 1B
Moos 2B
Suarez 3B
Castellanos LF
Aquino RF
Shogo CF
Barnhardt C
That is strong!
Even if they keep Senzel I would play him at SS and switch him and Shogo in the line up. I'm pumped

Can’t give up both India and Senzel without knowing if the player you’re getting back can be signed long term. Otherwise you just traded away two of your best young players for a rental.

Can’t give up both India and Senzel without knowing if the player you’re getting back can be signed long term. Otherwise you just traded away two of your best young players for a rental.
India is not one of your best players right now, maybe he will be some day, maybe he won’t. Senzel has been injured a lot, is this an ongoing problem with him, maybe it is. Point is you would get two full years of a star SS for two young players who haven’t proven anything yet. If the Reds got Lindor they would be one of the top two or three teams in the NL right now. What’s the old saying, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

My projected opening day lineup for the Reds...

Akiyama - LF
Votto - 1B
Swuarez - 3B
Castellaneos - RF
Moustakas - 2B
Senzel - CF
Galvis - SS
Barnhart - C
Castillo - P

Williams disagrees with you. It's either Galvis or a trade at SS.
Did Williams say that? Maybe we can we trade Williams then? For a non-dinosaur who understands what he is going to get from a SS with a career OBP at .290.

I know I'm a broken record on Galvis, but he's proven what he is over 7-8 seasons. Great glove, terrible offensive production with an occasional HR. C'mon! If you spend all that money to try and win, don;t leave your 7 and 8 spots in the order as giant liabilities. I'd rather play Senzel at SS and live with a few more errors. Or a Senzel / VanMeter platoon.

Did Williams say that? Maybe we can we trade Williams then? For a non-dinosaur who understands what he is going to get from a SS with a career OBP at .290.

I know I'm a broken record on Galvis, but he's proven what he is over 7-8 seasons. Great glove, terrible offensive production with an occasional HR. C'mon! If you spend all that money to try and win, don;t leave your 7 and 8 spots in the order as giant liabilities. I'd rather play Senzel at SS and live with a few more errors. Or a Senzel / VanMeter platoon.
My thinking is Williams is already regretting picking up the option on Galvis and now feels Galvis needs to start everyday in order to get value out of the deal. Senzel at the very least deserves to play SS in spring training, hopefully he plays well enough to win the job.

I still feel like Senzel will be the everyday SS. Galvis as a bench bat. Aquino starts in the field.
I'd be ok with that, heck, Senzel could transition to shortstop as well, I think his shoulder surgery may keep him from moving to short though, at least early on.

I disagree to a certain extent. The Reds have upgraded in a lot of positions, enough so that you can afford to have some liabilities. We've never felt like Tucker Barnhart is much more than a great glove, light bat guy. He wasn't even expected to make it to the bigs. We can afford to not have a .330 hitting shortstop. Now can the Reds get a better overall shortstop than Galvis in the next month, probably. But I'm ok going into the season with him as the shortstop most of the time. But you are right, Suarez came up as a shortstop, I think he's worked hard to become a really good 3rd baseman and could easily transition back to short, and Castellanos could then move to his natural 3rd base. That then opens up right field for Acquino.

Imagine...
Akiyama - LF
Votto - 1B
Suarez - SS
Castellanos - 3B
Acquino - RF
Moustakas - 2B
Senzel - CF
Barnhart - C
Castillo - P

And based on any certain day, Moustakas / Senzel can hit in the top 2-3 spots...Votto, Suarez, Castellanos and Aquino could be a monster lineup to pitch to.

Moustakas will hit 35+ HR and will bat 3, 4 or at worst 5. In my lineup I would alternate lefty/righty as much as possible, to give the opponent bullpen headaches in the late innings.

I would lock in Votto at 2, Suarez 3, Moustakas 4, Castellanos 5, Aquino 6.

Against a lefty starter Senzel (SS) bats leadoff. He had .370+ OBP against lefties last year. He struggles against righties, so Akiyama would leadoff against righties. When they don't bat lead-off, they bat 7th. Catcher bats 8th.

Obviously I would alter that if someone gets off to a terrible start, but that would be my plan as of today.

India is not one of your best players right now, maybe he will be some day, maybe he won’t. Senzel has been injured a lot, is this an ongoing problem with him, maybe it is. Point is you would get two full years of a star SS for two young players who haven’t proven anything yet. If the Reds got Lindor they would be one of the top two or three teams in the NL right now. What’s the old saying, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

he’s one of the highest rated prospects in The system. No, you don’t give up Senzel and India for a rental, that’s f’n dumb. And Lindor doesn’t make them a WS contender bc the Bullpen still sucks. Until they fix the god dam bullpen, they’re just a borderline playoff team. They might even win the Division, but they’re no threat to someone like the Dodgers to win the NL.

Well...that was fun while it lasted. Reds are reporting that Suarez had right shoulder surgery today and the club hopes he'll be available for the start of the regular season. I think I'm going to be sick....