The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I find it amusing that people like 14red are hardcore capitalists until it comes to sports. Then it has to be a level playing field. Lol.

I must admit, I don’t particularly care for teams that try to buy Championships. I think part of the reason the NFL is more popular than the MLB is bc the salary cap structure is designed for parity. You can go from last place to first place within a season, that almost never happens in the MLB. Look at the Reds, it’s an absolute grind for small mkt teams to get back to competitiveness. You don’t have that 5-7 yr rebuild in the NFL

I must admit, I don’t particularly care for teams that try to buy Championships. I think part of the reason the NFL is more popular than the MLB is bc the salary cap structure is designed for parity. You can go from last place to first place within a season, that almost never happens in the MLB. Look at the Reds, it’s an absolute grind for small mkt teams to get back to competitiveness. You don’t have that 5-7 yr rebuild in the NFL
Part of the NFL, worst to first is scheduling and injuries. Both play a huge role in a team's success.

Reportedly Boston is willing to eat 36M of David Price's contract to facilitate a trade.
That's getting awfully close to my predict of 40M.
A deal structured like this might get it done:
Reds take on 32M in 2020, 12M in 2021 and 2022.

The Reds should have the payflex to facilitate that this season. It would give them a devastating rotation. It would also allow their outfielders one year to perform (or really till the trade deadline). It doesn't seem like an upgrade at catcher or SS is out there unless they are willing to dump the farm for a rental which I hope they don't do. There will (likely) be a corner OF bat available in July for cheap if necessary.
They would see the 2021 payroll at around 115M before non tenders and two rotation spots needing filled. Hopefully at least 1 if not 2 young arms are ready by then. That would leave an estimated 35M-50M in payroll to address needs.

A deal like the above should be very enticing to Boston as they would be off the hook entirely for this season and easily get them under the luxury tax line. It shouldn't cost any appreciable prospect(s). It might even only cost some cash ala the Giants for Cozart deal.

The question for the Reds becomes, "is this the best course of action for this year and the next 2"?

13 different teams have won the World Series since 2000.

The NFL has had 7 different winners.

The NBA has had 10 different champions.

Looks like MLB has the most parity.

Interesting numbers, thanks. I was sure the NHL had the most parity, so I looked it up. 12 different Stanley Cup winners since 2000. MLB wins. Surprised me.

Reportedly Boston is willing to eat 36M of David Price's contract to facilitate a trade.
That's getting awfully close to my predict of 40M.
A deal structured like this might get it done:
Reds take on 32M in 2020, 12M in 2021 and 2022.

The Reds should have the payflex to facilitate that this season. It would give them a devastating rotation. It would also allow their outfielders one year to perform (or really till the trade deadline). It doesn't seem like an upgrade at catcher or SS is out there unless they are willing to dump the farm for a rental which I hope they don't do. There will (likely) be a corner OF bat available in July for cheap if necessary.
They would see the 2021 payroll at around 115M before non tenders and two rotation spots needing filled. Hopefully at least 1 if not 2 young arms are ready by then. That would leave an estimated 35M-50M in payroll to address needs.

A deal like the above should be very enticing to Boston as they would be off the hook entirely for this season and easily get them under the luxury tax line. It shouldn't cost any appreciable prospect(s). It might even only cost some cash ala the Giants for Cozart deal.

The question for the Reds becomes, "is this the best course of action for this year and the next 2"?
If the Reds really are willing to spend $32M more this year, there are lots of better ways to spend it. The longer term control of Price is not that valuable to me as he seems near the end. 34 years old, and the last 3 years he has had 11, 30 and 22 starts. Hard pass for me.

If the Reds really are willing to spend $32M more this year, there are lots of better ways to spend it. The longer term control of Price is not that valuable to me as he seems near the end. 34 years old, and the last 3 years he has had 11, 30 and 22 starts. Hard pass for me.
Have to agree. I mean if he was the final piece to be a ws contender this year, maybe.

I get where you are coming from. The injuries are definitely a concern.

MadBum 5 yrs 85 million. At that price the Reds should have gone after him IMO
I thought the same thing. I wouldn't be real excited about 5 years, but $85 mill, that's only $17 mill per season. My guess is if you wanted to go 3 years, the per year price would had gone up.
But I'm still in the camp that we really don't need another starter. If we can get one, at our price ok, but I'm really ok with our rotation as is going into 2020.

13 different teams have won the World Series since 2000.

The NFL has had 7 different winners.

The NBA has had 10 different champions.

Looks like MLB has the most parity.
I think alot of this has to do with the much much longer regular season than the other sports, coupled with less teams making the playoffs. It's a real accomplishment just to get to the postseason in baseball moreso than the other sports. And back before wild cards, there were probably years when the Reds or Dodgers were the 2nd best team in baseball and one didn't make the playoffs because there was no wildcards.

I think alot of this has to do with the much much longer regular season than the other sports, coupled with less teams making the playoffs. It's a real accomplishment just to get to the postseason in baseball moreso than the other sports. And back before wild cards, there were probably years when the Reds or Dodgers were the 2nd best team in baseball and one didn't make the playoffs because there was no wildcards.
Less teams making the playoffs equates to more teams winning championships? In what world?

If the Reds really are willing to spend $32M more this year, there are lots of better ways to spend it.

The Reds as constructed are about 14M under last year's budget. DW said the budget would increase significantly this season. Is "significantly" 18M over last year's budget? We don't know. The Reds are very good at keeping things quiet, as they should be.

I thought the same thing. I wouldn't be real excited about 5 years, but $85 mill, that's only $17 mill per season. My guess is if you wanted to go 3 years, the per year price would had gone up.
But I'm still in the camp that we really don't need another starter. If we can get one, at our price ok, but I'm really ok with our rotation as is going into 2020.
17 million a year really shouldn't be that big of a risk all things considered. Would have him realtively cheap.

Reds sign Wade Miley 2 years $15M. That's a great deal. He's a reliable veteran who should be good for 30+ starts. I like Mahle much better as an option out of the bullpen who can step in if any of the other rotation guys go down.

Now improve the bullpen and get an outfielder or SS

Reds sign Wade Miley 2 years $15M. That's a great deal. He's a reliable veteran who should be good for 30+ starts. I like Mahle much better as an option out of the bullpen who can step in if any of the other rotation guys go down.

Yep. It’s not a big name like Bumgarner, but he’s a reliable arm in the backend of the rotation.

Solid back of the rotation signing.
Reds payroll stands at approximately 118.5M.

Gregorius said yesterday that the Phillies were the only team that made him an offer... interesting.

Well, we needed a lefty, and I agree that he is a reliable and affordable option, and getting rotation insurance is a good move. Miley never sets the world on fire, and his career 1.38 WHIP is a little concerning, but he is a solid guy to sign nonetheless.

Well, as long as we are dreaming big... Lindor is a remarkable young player. Major upgrade to offense, and fixes my Galvis problem. Would there be a better infield in baseball than Suarez, Lindor, Moustakas and Votto? I don't think so.

Wonder what the price would be? If it involves Castillo, I would really hesitate. If they want our top prospects, I'd be OK with that for 2 years of Frankie. Let's have some fun this summer.

Well, as long as we are dreaming big... Lindor is a remarkable young player. Major upgrade to offense, and fixes my Galvis problem. Would there be a better infield in baseball than Suarez, Lindor, Moustakas and Votto? I don't think so.

Wonder what the price would be? If it involves Castillo, I would really hesitate. If they want our top prospects, I'd be OK with that for 2 years of Frankie. Let's have some fun this summer.
I'd be willing to part with India but not Senzel.
Galvis would need to go to Cleveland as well I think. Two, maybe three other good prospects likely. I'm not sure if that is enough.