The Official 2019 Cincinnati Reds Thread

From the article:

Against that backdrop, let’s praise the Reds. Last winter, the Reds traded for Sonny Gray and Yasiel Puig, among others, opening the year with the highest payroll in franchise history. If the moves were a bit optimistic, given what the Reds had on hand and the tough NL Central, they sent the right message, and it was received. The Reds ranked fifth in baseball in attendance gained—2,200 a game—despite a fourth-place, sub-.500 finish.

The Reds took the right lessons from 2019. President of baseball operations Dick Williams said, days after the season ended, that the Reds would increase their payroll in 2020 with an eye towards making the postseason. With the Cubs no longer looking quite so scary, and the Reds turning into a pitcher-development machine, it’s not hard to see the right free agent buys pushing the Reds into contention for a division title in 2020.

Well I must say that is an encouraging outlook. I hope it plays out that way. I was unaware of the nice gain in attendance, also good news.

From the article:

Against that backdrop, let’s praise the Reds. Last winter, the Reds traded for Sonny Gray and Yasiel Puig, among others, opening the year with the highest payroll in franchise history. If the moves were a bit optimistic, given what the Reds had on hand and the tough NL Central, they sent the right message, and it was received. The Reds ranked fifth in baseball in attendance gained—2,200 a game—despite a fourth-place, sub-.500 finish.

The Reds took the right lessons from 2019. President of baseball operations Williams said, days after the season ended, that the Reds would increase their payroll in 2020 with an eye towards making the postseason. With the Cubs no longer looking quite so scary, and the Reds turning into a pitcher-development machine, it’s not hard to see the right free agent buys pushing the Reds into contention for a division title in 2020.
I completely agree. This team was better than their 2019 record indicated. They lost a TON of one run games. The pitching really developed. Castillo has developed into a legit #1 starter. Sonny Gray bounced back from his awful Yankee experience and maybe was our best pitcher by season's end. The key for 2020 for us is going to be Trever Bauer. If he returns to his pre-2019 form, we'll be great. If he's the same guy that was with us the last two months of the season, we've got a problem. DeSclafani was the guy we hoped he was going to be a few years ago, and finished strong. Some talk was that the Reds could bring a guy like Tanner Roark back, and I'd be all for that. He was a great 5th starter for us, and I think he's a good guy to have in the clubhouse around the young guys as well.

I completely agree. This team was better than their 2019 record indicated. They lost a TON of one run games. The pitching really developed. Castillo has developed into a legit #1 starter. Sonny Gray bounced back from his awful Yankee experience and maybe was our best pitcher by season's end. The key for 2020 for us is going to be Trever Bauer. If he returns to his pre-2019 form, we'll be great. If he's the same guy that was with us the last two months of the season, we've got a problem. DeSclafani was the guy we hoped he was going to be a few years ago, and finished strong. Some talk was that the Reds could bring a guy like Tanner Roark back, and I'd be all for that. He was a great 5th starter for us, and I think he's a good guy to have in the clubhouse around the young guys as well.
Sonny Gray was better than Castillo in nearly every measurable way last season. Castillo was good but Gray was better.
I'd rather see the Reds go after a better starter than Roark if they pursue SP.

I just saw the list for Reds Fest in early December, notable absence is Joey Votto? Anything to read into that?

So if the Reds make no other moves before the regular season begins, what are your feelings about their ability to compete this season in the NL Central? To me, it's a 3 team race. St. Louis, who's always there, Chicago and Cincinnati. I think the Pirates and Brewers will be at the bottom.

My focus now would be to try to find an everyday shortstop, or at least someone to split time with Galvis. Also, I think the Reds need to add to the bullpen.

So if the Reds make no other moves before the regular season begins, what are your feelings about their ability to compete this season in the NL Central? To me, it's a 3 team race. St. Louis, who's always there, Chicago and Cincinnati. I think the Pirates and Brewers will be at the bottom.

My focus now would be to try to find an everyday shortstop, or at least someone to split time with Galvis. Also, I think the Reds need to add to the bullpen.
The Cards are the clear favorite and at least 5 games better than the Reds. Assuming the Cubs trade Bryant, the Reds might be slightly better. I'd put the Reds fighting for 3rd with the Brewers and Cubs. If they sign Castellanos AND keep enough cash for a midseason trade (Lindor?) then they have a legit shot at the division.

Galvis has enough power to be an 8 hole hitter. He'll clear the bases every 7 or 8 games.

The Phillies are a team to watch. If they are struggling in the loaded NL East by July, Realmuto might available.

The Cards are the clear favorite and at least 5 games better than the Reds. Assuming the Cubs trade Bryant, the Reds might be slightly better. I'd put the Reds fighting for 3rd with the Brewers and Cubs. If they sign Castellanos AND keep enough cash for a midseason trade (Lindor?) then they have a legit shot at the division.

Galvis has enough power to be an 8 hole hitter. He'll clear the bases every 7 or 8 games.

The Phillies are a team to watch. If they are struggling in the loaded NL East by July, Realmuto might available.
3rd? Now I'll admit I'm as big of a homer as their is, and even with the typical Cardinal magic, I still think the Reds are the best team in this division. If our starting rotation stays healthy, we'll be just fine.