The Official 2019 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Ha...that's a twist...and no, I wouldn't be rude to you like that. Everyone should be treated with a certain level of respect, even those that are wrong most of the time.
You haven’t had a raise in 10 years, no way you are going to actually confront me in person. Lol.

Ok, it's been a few weeks, I apologize for the delay but let's get back to the evaluation / summary of the 2019 season, today we'll look at the outfield. We started the season with Winker, Puig, Schebler, Kemp and Lorenzen as outfielders. Wow, hard to remember Schebler and Kemp , eh? Anyway, the Kemp experiment didn't last long and Schebler played himself down to Louisville and we'll likely never see him in a Reds uniform again. Long awaited Nick Senzel was brought up. Phil Ervin was brought up and stayed for the most part. Eventually Puig was traded and Aristes Aquino was brought up. VanMeter, Dietrich, Peraza and Alex Blandino all spent various amounts of time in the outfield.
After a slow start Puig really energized this team in the June/ July part of the season, but it was pretty clear that he was not going to be here for the long term. His contract status simply wasn't going to work here. He was very energetic and we'll never forget the two scraps with the Pirates, where he was at the center of. Two major bright spots for the season in the outfield and one dim one. I'll take the negative first. At this point, we still don't know what we have with Jesse Winker. He's not stayed healthy for any extended stretch, and he's pretty much been platooned the whole time here. Winker's a great guy in the clubhouse, but we really need more production from him. The two bright spots, one expected and one not, is Senzel and Aquino. Senzel seemingly jumped right into the lineup and was productive. Now I think Reds fans need to be temptured a little. The expectaions of this kid may be much higher than he can actually give us. I don't see him as a 35-40 home run guy who just tears up the league. Rather, I see him as a solid contributor over 8-10 years. That is IF he can stay healthy. Like Winker, we've had this kid in our system for 3 years and he's yet to complete a season. I fully believe he'll be at 2nd base to open the 2020 season.
Aquino took the majors by storm. After an 0-6 start, he went on a MLB historic run and finished with an incredible 19 home runs and 47 RBI's in only 56 games. Who knows if he can keep that kind of production up, but if he can even give us 60-70% of that production over a full season and he'll carry this team at times.
I think we may see 1-2 new faces in the outfield in 2020. Aquino is penciled in in right field, no doubt. The Reds should be in the market for a centerfielder and left fielder. I don't think they've given up on Winker, but if they can get a corner outfielder, they need to do it. I suppose if they simply can't find a centerfielder then the can put Senzel back in center.

Everyone should be treated with a certain level of respect, even those that are wrong most of the time.
OK, ok, I'll try to be more respectful when you are wrong, which is most of the time.

BTW, your giant, vomitous mass of text about the Reds OF is poorly formatted, contains poor grammar and spelling errors, and is largely unreadable. Instead of apologizing for the delay, how about apologizing for writing it, and promising not to ever do it again. I say this with great respect.

14Red,
Why did you feel the need to "apologize for the delay"?
Do you seriously think that any of us have been disappointed by not yet receiving your summary/analysis of the 2019 season?
Please unburden yourself. Believe me, no apology of any type is needed.

14Red,
Why did you feel the need to "apologize for the delay"?
Do you seriously think that any of us have been disappointed by not yet receiving your summary/analysis of the 2019 season?
Please unburden yourself. Believe me, no apology of any type is needed.
I just wanted to give you guys a break from just making snide comments on other peoples thoughts and ideas. Maybe actually put some though provoking ideas in your heads. These are message boards, there should be a normal give and take of ideas. I rarely see anything from you in the form of an original thought??
So with that said, what do you think of my outfield assessment? Who do you see in the starting outfield next season? Any FA's you'd like to see the Reds go after?

OK, ok, I'll try to be more respectful when you are wrong, which is most of the time.

BTW, your giant, vomitous mass of text about the Reds OF is poorly formatted, contains poor grammar and spelling errors, and is largely unreadable. Instead of apologizing for the delay, how about apologizing for writing it, and promising not to ever do it again. I say this with great respect.
Lol

Ok, it's been a few weeks, I apologize for the delay but let's get back to the evaluation / summary of the 2019 season, today we'll look at the outfield. We started the season with Winker, Puig, Schebler, Kemp and Lorenzen as outfielders. Wow, hard to remember Schebler and Kemp , eh? Anyway, the Kemp experiment didn't last long and Schebler played himself down to Louisville and we'll likely never see him in a Reds uniform again. Long awaited Nick Senzel was brought up. Phil Ervin was brought up and stayed for the most part. Eventually Puig was traded and Aristes Aquino was brought up. VanMeter, Dietrich, Peraza and Alex Blandino all spent various amounts of time in the outfield.
After a slow start Puig really energized this team in the June/ July part of the season, but it was pretty clear that he was not going to be here for the long term. His contract status simply wasn't going to work here. He was very energetic and we'll never forget the two scraps with the Pirates, where he was at the center of. Two major bright spots for the season in the outfield and one dim one. I'll take the negative first. At this point, we still don't know what we have with Jesse Winker. He's not stayed healthy for any extended stretch, and he's pretty much been platooned the whole time here. Winker's a great guy in the clubhouse, but we really need more production from him. The two bright spots, one expected and one not, is Senzel and Aquino. Senzel seemingly jumped right into the lineup and was productive. Now I think Reds fans need to be temptured a little. The expectaions of this kid may be much higher than he can actually give us. I don't see him as a 35-40 home run guy who just tears up the league. Rather, I see him as a solid contributor over 8-10 years. That is IF he can stay healthy. Like Winker, we've had this kid in our system for 3 years and he's yet to complete a season. I fully believe he'll be at 2nd base to open the 2020 season.
Aquino took the majors by storm. After an 0-6 start, he went on a MLB historic run and finished with an incredible 19 home runs and 47 RBI's in only 56 games. Who knows if he can keep that kind of production up, but if he can even give us 60-70% of that production over a full season and he'll carry this team at times.
I think we may see 1-2 new faces in the outfield in 2020. Aquino is penciled in in right field, no doubt. The Reds should be in the market for a centerfielder and left fielder. I don't think they've given up on Winker, but if they can get a corner outfielder, they need to do it. I suppose if they simply can't find a centerfielder then the can put Senzel back in center.
Jesse Winker had an OPS+ of 111 and a bWAR of .9
Nick Senzel OPS+ of 89 and a bWAR of .6

Yet you claim Winker had a bad year and Senzel "jumped into the lineup and was productive"?

BTW Dick William's in on record saying the Aquino has NOT earned the RF job for next season.

Jose Urena would be a good trade target for the Reds. He is coming off an injury shortened down year where he started and relieved for the Marlins. He'll likely get 4-5M in Arb2 this year and is controlled thru 2021.

He'd make a good 5th starter option or a bullpen piece.
Likely would cost a mid level prospect like a Jimmy Herget.

Yet you claim Winker had a bad year and Senzel "jumped into the lineup and was productive"?

BTW William's in on record saying the Aquino has NOT earned the RF job for next season.
I know you know this, but Winker just isn’t an everyday player while Senzel has that potential. The ceiling is much higher for Senzel.

Jose Urena would be a good trade target for the Reds. He is coming off an injury shortened down year where he started and relieved for the Marlins. He'll likely get 4-5M in Arb2 this year and is controlled thru 2021.

What is Wood going to command?

BTW William's in on record saying the Aquino has NOT earned the RF job for next season.
Senzel has a bigger up side, has flexibility and this was his first season. Winker is a slow corner oufielder who gets hurt alot. Eye test...

I have no concerns with the 5th spot, we have lots of guys who can be our 5th starter.

What is Wood going to command?
That's a great question. I'm all over the place on him, from a minor league deal with ST invite Ala Iglesias to a 1 year/$5M prove it deal with options and escalators.

I'm not sure how his market shapes up yet.
Definitely worth keeping an eye on though.

Is Urena really an upgrade though? Herget might be a valuable lefty to have in the pen over the next 4-5 yrs.
He had 2 really solid years prior to this past season when he was hurt. If you believe he can get back to that level then he is absolutely an upgrade. He also would fit nicely into the Reds "going for it" window.

No doubt Herget could be a valuable bullpen piece in the future but it might not happen until the Reds window closes.

He had 2 really solid years prior to this past season when he was hurt. If you believe he can get back to that level then he is absolutely an upgrade. He also would fit nicely into the Reds "going for it" window.

No doubt Herget could be a valuable bullpen piece in the future but it might not happen until the Reds window closes.
I’m not convinced they really have an open window now, but if they seriously think they do this is the kind of deal that makes sense.

In 2018 Urena had a 3.98 ERA a 1.184 WHIP with 1 HR/9 2.6BB/9 and 6.7K/9
2017 was pretty similar.

He is controlled for 2 more seasons.

Yes, I agree that there's a chance, if:
1) The Reds increase payroll and attract some better talent (no "whiffs")
2) All of those players have good/great years
3) All of their returning players play up to their full potential (yes, that means Joey Votto not only stopping his career slide, but regaining some past glories)
4) No key players suffer an injury requiring an extensive loss of time

Yep, I'm saying there's a chance.

We're all together in that same boat.......the brain tells us one thing, but the heart wants what the heart wants!
As all but one team's fans shout, "We're going to get 'em NEXT year"!
Go Reds.