The Official 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

If they're going to make a real run at the wild card, Josh Bell needs to start hitting bombs. He's hit 1 HR since June 1 and just 5 for the whole season. That's absurd for a guy who his 26 in his rookie season.

I agree. They are getting a lot from Dickerson, Polanco and Marte right now (all 3 homered today) it would be nice if Bell caught fire.

Bucs streaked snapped at 11. Looking at the lineup it appears the JV's played today. Now if they can just keep some consistency the rest of the way and win 2/3 of the series remaining they may have a WC shot. A lot has to happen but its possible.

Pirates are going for it acquire :Keone Kela (24 saves) and Rays starter Chris Archer in trades. Not happy that they gave up Meadows but with Marte, Polanco and Dickerson I guess they thought him expendable.

I'm OK with giving up Meadows as long as they extend Dickerson. If they don't, it will look like a really bad move.

Next move has to be to dump Sean Rodriguez in the gutter and bring up Kevin Newman. I seriously think they'd have better results if the pinch hit Brault instead of him. What kind of organization that considers itself in the playoff race lets a guy who hits <.170 hang around? Dumb.

I can't believe they started Holmes on Friday. They're back 4 games in the WC, yet they act like they're leading the pack by 8 games.

The Pirates offense has been non-existent. I don't get how a team with the 4th or 5th best team BA in the NL struggles to score so frequently.

I can only watch the Bucs when they play the Braves or the occasional free game on MLB.com. Assuming they struggle vs. the better pitchers (?), do they attempt to play small-ball in those games?

I know, it's pretty much a lost art. 'Hit that home run, man'!

I can only watch the Bucs when they play the Braves or the occasional free game on MLB.com. Assuming they struggle vs. the better pitchers (?), do they attempt to play small-ball in those games?

I know, it's pretty much a lost art. 'Hit that home run, man'!

They try small ball, but are pretty inept at it. Marte and Polanco are as dumb as a box of rocks on the basepaths and the 3B coach is right there with them.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I could toss 6 scoreless on them, torn up rotator cuff and all.

Hoping they make a move for Donaldson in the offseason. Need to inject some reliable power into the lineup and Moran isn't going to do that.

Firing Hurdle would also be wonderful.

Really all 4 Taillon, Williams, Nova, Musgrove have been good enough for the most part. Having Archer for a full season might make this a pretty good rotation. If they can somehow get a bat or two they can be better. Tough division however.

The Greensboro (NC) Grasshoppers are now a Pirates' (low) A team, having been a Marlins club for years and Yankees before that.

Playing the Reds, Royals, and Marlins in September gave them a little boost, no doubt.

The front office has been disappointing so far this off-season. All indications seem to be they're very proud of themselves and don't see a reason to add much. If they do this, I hope they're not surprised when attendance falls again.