The Official 2018 Cleveland Indians Thread

bedevil

Now that a little distance has been achieved since the disappointing ending of an otherwise great season, here's this year's Tribe thread.

Who stays and who goes? Who do you think the Tribe will sign in the off-season?

I hate to say it, but I'd cut ties with Michael Brantley. Yeah, I know, great leader, great guy in the clubhouse. The problem is, that's where he has spent the majority of the time in the last two seasons: in the clubhouse, on the trainer's table.

Jason Kipnis' contract is likely a deal-breaker for any trade talks. Might actually see him in left-field. Carlos Santana's situation will be the most interesting. He wants to stay, but will the Indians be comfortable with giving him a hefty long-term contract? I'd love to keep Bruce, but how many years will he want?

The core of the Indians is set and they will be in one of the AL pennant favorites, but there are a few decisions that the front office has to make that will have a real impact on the roster. Should be an interesting winter.

Brantley and Tomlin are back and I dont mind either being back. You can always use pitching and if Brantley can stay healthy that option will look cheap. I would like to bring Bruce back and maybe clear out some of the outfield. Chiz and almonte( please get rid of almonte) could go. My guess is they will keep Kip and go back to 2nd with Yandy going to the outfield if he breaks camp with the club. I also heard they were having Mejia play 3rd in the fall or winter league. Should be an interesting off season.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Brantley and Tomlin are back and I dont mind either being back. You can always use pitching and if Brantley can stay healthy that option will look cheap. I would like to bring Bruce back and maybe clear out some of the outfield. Chiz and almonte( please get rid of almonte) could go. My guess is they will keep Kip and go back to 2nd with Yandy going to the outfield if he breaks camp with the club. I also heard they were having Mejia play 3rd in the fall or winter league. Should be an interesting off season.

Keeping Brantley while dumping Chiz makes little sense to me. Brantley is why you need Chiz.

Brantley is made of glass, and Chiz's bat has come around. He's actually become a decent corner OF.

Chiz is a total roller coaster. My outfield would be Bruce in right Zim in center and Diaz in left, that way you can have Brantley and EE share first and DH. I dont think they are willing to spend the money on Santana.

You can only have so many guys south of .275. I don't see rollercoaster Lonnie in 2017 aside from his return from what was really his first significant injury that I recall. If they can't return everyone, I'd rather have Santana or Chiz than Bruce for the OPS, as much as I liked Bruce on the roster.

I thought AJax was grossly under-used, too. I'd like to see more of him in the OF.

I agree with Jackson. And i would love to have Santana back over Bruce. I would just think Bruce would be more in their price range.

The Indians tender a one-year qualifying offer to Carlos Santana for $17.4 million. Santana has 10 days to accept. If he walks, at least the Indians get a draft pick.

In lesser news, Boone Logan is gone. The tribe doesn't pick up his option.

Well forget what i said about Bruce being in the Tribe's price range if he is indeed asking for whats reported. lol

Looks like Carlos and Bruce are gone....if no other big free agent is signed then Tribe will have Brantley at 1b, Kipnis in LF, Zimmer in CF and Chis/Guyer in RF. Diaz will play 3rd. May need someone to play 1b until Brantley is ready around May 1st. I would hope they get another legit major league bat for 1b or OF but if not this is what they have. Need Brantley and Kipnis to stay healthy and produce their normal numbers. Pitching and D up the middle is legit though!

Would love to see brantley moved to first... Also isn't ajax a free agent? Don't see the tribe being able to sign him after the year he had.. Hopefully kip moves to LF

Tribe shopping Kipnis hard....do not expect much in return as it is basically a salary dump to someone who needs a 2b. Probably prospects or maybe a bullpen guy. If they unload Kip then they will have more cash to sign Santana or another 1b. Sounds like for now Brantley is still considered on OF according to Tito. Tribe would love to have Ajax back if price is not too steep.

That is a lot for Santana. Even so, Tribe has to replace production from him and Bruce and thus far all Tribe has done is watch guys leave. Need to trade Kip to free up some cash and go get some corner bats. maybe trade Salazar too if he can bring back a good righty bat.

Wow Brian....overreact much? Tribe still has best rotation in baseball and a good bullpen. Ramirez and Lindor finished 3rd and 5th in AL MVP voting and are 25 or under. EE hits 35+ home runs every year in the clean up spot. It is December 15th.....they have time to fill in some holes. 26 to 28 MLB teams would switch rosters with them right now.

The Indians have never been one to do much in the Winter Meetings.

I liked Carlos, but not $20 million/yr worth. Letting him go was the only move. At least they made a qualifying offer, so they get a compensatory pick.

Losing Shaw and Smith again leaves a hole. Shaw seemed to come up small at times, but it was likely due to overuse. It may take two arms to handle his innings.

Ryan Merritt best era sll time and dont pitch lolI i must know football,i made nordonia look bad it easy.

It does look like old times.
Good players leaving and the Tribe just watching.

Added so far
RHP Leonel Campos
3B Drew Maggi
LHP Jeff Beliveau
RHP Neil Ramirez
RHP Evan Marshall
C Brandon Barnes

Players leaving
Milwaukee Brewers claimed Dylan Baker
Cincinnati Reds claimed LHP Kyle Crockett
Cleveland Indians traded RHP Shawn Armstrong to Seattle Mariners for Future Considerations.
Phillies sign 1B Carlos Santana

LHP Craig Breslow elected free agency.
RF Jay Bruce elected free agency.
CF Austin Jackson elected free agency
RHP Bryan Shaw elected free agency.
RHP Joe Smith elected free agency.