The Official 2018 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Yeah you did. You closed it before I could laugh at 14red for being proven wrong once again, this time for his ignorant claim the mlb playoffs aren’t on the radio. :laugh:

I opened it back up. You have until 10:30pm to make the post, after that it'll simply be too late and there's nothing else I can do.

Thanks for starting a new thread!! I did listen to a Chicago station yesterday for the Cubs/ Nats and of course the Indians are all over here in Ohio. My point is a few years ago, the ESPN radio stations all played the games. Now they play their regular programming/ Russillo/ Bomani/ etc. Maybe this is just the evolution of ESPN and having so many options, or maybe they just see the ratings continue to drop for baseball.

Not going anywhere guys, I'm ready for '18 and the Reds getting better!!! You'll eventually come around to my way of thinking.

Trade or release him. Too expensive for what should be a pinch runner.

I agree. $5M would be better spent on a legit starter.

Scooter projects around $6M. Even if he regresses to a .275 hitter with 20 HR and 75 RBI he is probably worth it. Keeping him allows Suarez to play SS and Senzel 3rd while Peraza plays utility.

On the flip side, he could be a valuable trade piece in a search for a legit starter. If the Reds can trade Gennett (save 6M) then Senzel probably plays 2nd with Peraza at SS and Suarez at 3rd.

$11M in savings coupled with other savings from previous trades could make the Reds very active in the FA market.

I agree. $5M would be better spent on a legit starter.

Scooter projects around $6M. Even if he regresses to a .275 hitter with 20 HR and 75 RBI he is probably worth it. Keeping him allows Suarez to play SS and Senzel 3rd while Peraza plays utility.

On the flip side, he could be a valuable trade piece in a search for a legit starter. If the Reds can trade Gennett (save 6M) then Senzel probably plays 2nd with Peraza at SS and Suarez at 3rd.

$11M in savings coupled with other savings from previous trades could make the Reds very active in the FA market.

Too forward thinking for the Reds. I've said it before but I refuse to believe they'll sign someone of note in free agency. If memory serves me correctly, in the last 20-30 years, outside of Chapman (I don't count it as a true FA signing) and Cordero they haven't signed a free agent that made a major on field impact. Rolen was huge for an inexperienced team but he didn't dominate on the field.

Are you saying Gennett could be a valuable trade piece? Or Hamilton?

Let's hear your thoughts on how to improve the rotation in the offseason.

Improve the rotation??? I think plain old good health is the biggest remedy.

Yes, the Reds will look for a veteran to eat up some innings, but not a stud. We're not about to spend money foolishly that way.

The rotation as I see it today...
Homer Bailey - Homer won't be our #1, those days are gone. But coming off this season - he's been out for 2 years, to get 18 starts in with no setbacks physically - I really don't care about the stats, he had a couple of horrendous starts early that drastically changed his total ERA. He had glimpses of the old Homer.

Anthony DeSclafani - put a big question mark next to Disco. Spring will be big for him. He needs to be fully healed, and be able to take the ball multiple starts and hopefully with the same stuff as before. If that happens, he may be the veteran free agent that you won't need to sign.

Luis Castillo - Sal Romano - Robert Stephenson. These 3 have the inside track IMO for the other 3 spots. Next in line for me would be Tyler Mahle. More than likely all won't pan out. And it's nice to have Cody Reed, Rookie Davis, and there has even been talk of Michael Lorenzen making a run at being a starter again.

Any of those listed above who doesn't start moves into the bullpen.

So the last 3 years of rebuilding all goes out the window, blow it up and start again??? Are you a Browns fan by chance???

Oh great, 14reds 4th grade reading comprehension makes another appearance. Nope, I didn't say blow it up and start again. There isn't a single for sure #1 or #2 on the staff right now. The Reds have some possible #3-#5s. If they want to improve they are going to have to get new pitching coaching, get new scouts who can identify actual pitching talent, bring someone else new, or all the above. The Reds will be in the same position with some slight improvement from the young guys. He asked for options on how to improve the rotation. Those are their options.

I missed a lot the last few weeks. The 2017 thread closed - I wanted to commend Monclova Steve for his prediction in March 2017 of 68-94. Nailed it. I missed by 2 games (66-96). Most of us were in the ballpark, except for 14red.

Oh great, 14reds 4th grade reading comprehension makes another appearance. Nope, I didn't say blow it up and start again. There isn't a single for sure #1 or #2 on the staff right now. The Reds have some possible #3-#5s. If they want to improve they are going to have to get new pitching coaching, get new scouts who can identify actual pitching talent, bring someone else new, or all the above. The Reds will be in the same position with some slight improvement from the young guys. He asked for options on how to improve the rotation. Those are their options.

We have more young pitching talent than I can ever remember, and I'm 50 years old. Did they just fall into our laps?? The biggest improvement in the rotation is just allowing nature to take it's course. You guys get older, stronger, better.

I missed a lot the last few weeks. The 2017 thread closed - I wanted to commend Monclova Steve for his prediction in March 2017 of 68-94. Nailed it. I missed by 2 games (66-96). Most of us were in the ballpark, except for 14red.

Solid projections by you both

Improve the rotation??? I think plain old good health is the biggest remedy.

Yes, the Reds will look for a veteran to eat up some innings, but not a stud. We're not about to spend money foolishly that way.

The rotation as I see it today...
Homer Bailey - Homer won't be our #1, those days are gone. But coming off this season - he's been out for 2 years, to get 18 starts in with no setbacks physically - I really don't care about the stats, he had a couple of horrendous starts early that drastically changed his total ERA. He had glimpses of the old Homer.

Anthony DeSclafani - put a big question mark next to Disco. Spring will be big for him. He needs to be fully healed, and be able to take the ball multiple starts and hopefully with the same stuff as before. If that happens, he may be the veteran free agent that you won't need to sign.

Luis Castillo - Sal Romano - Robert Stephenson. These 3 have the inside track IMO for the other 3 spots. Next in line for me would be Tyler Mahle. More than likely all won't pan out. And it's nice to have Cody Reed, Rookie Davis, and there has even been talk of Michael Lorenzen making a run at being a starter again.

Any of those listed above who doesn't start moves into the bullpen.

You list 9 names as candidates, which is reasonable. Additionally, the door is not closed on Finnegan, Garrett. So 11 possibles. Why do you think the Reds should also pay for a veteran SP to "eat up some innings"? We talked about this last year with Arroyo, we don't need veterans to eat innings. The kids need to pitch. Reds certainly don't need to spend free agent money for it.

I happen to agree with 4 of your top 5. Putting Disco in the top 5 is nothing more than wishful thinking. I hope he recovers to that point, but he should not be counted on. And Rookie Davis just had shoulder (labrum) and hip surgery surgery this week. Plus he is just terrible. Scratch that name. So in my mind, we have 9 names to look at.

Castillo, Romano and Stephenson really took big strides the last few months. If they can keep progressing, they would be the go-forward core of the rotation. Castillo particularly seems to have potential "ace" stuff.

The bigger need for help is in the pen. Does anyone have faith in anyone out there besides Iglesias and Peralta?

We have more young pitching talent than I can ever remember, and I'm 50 years old. Did they just fall into our laps?? The biggest improvement in the rotation is just allowing nature to take it's course. You guys get older, stronger, better.

So? What does that have to do with anything? My eye test, and the stats, says we have a bunch of #3-#5, no #1-#2.

You list 9 names as candidates, which is reasonable. Additionally, the door is not closed on Finnegan, Garrett. So 11 possibles. Why do you think the Reds should also pay for a veteran SP to "eat up some innings"? We talked about this last year with Arroyo, we don't need veterans to eat innings. The kids need to pitch. Reds certainly don't need to spend free agent money for it.

I happen to agree with 4 of your top 5. Putting Disco in the top 5 is nothing more than wishful thinking. I hope he recovers to that point, but he should not be counted on. And Rookie Davis just had shoulder (labrum) and hip surgery surgery this week. Plus he is just terrible. Scratch that name. So in my mind, we have 9 names to look at.

Castillo, Romano and Stephenson really took big strides the last few months. If they can keep progressing, they would be the go-forward core of the rotation. Castillo particularly seems to have potential "ace" stuff.

The bigger need for help is in the pen. Does anyone have faith in anyone out there besides Iglesias and Peralta?

Wow, I forgot all about Garrett and Finnigan. We have more depth than I thought.

And yes, while I agree with your thoughts on the free agent signing, I do think if you can find a quality veteran at a reasonable price - and there will be some out there (this year, it was Feldman). I like a veteran presance just to give the kids another sounding board. Maybe Homer even becomes that guy.
I think the front office can put together a decent pen. Any of the names mentioned earlier who don't make the rotation are defaulted into the bullpen. Again, we can go find vets who can fill bullpen spots. But hopefully not guys like Kevin Gregg from a few years ago.