The Northwest Conference...you have the next move

I think the path here for the NWC is pretty simple, get Parkway if you can.

When you can't get them decide if you want FL in football only, remembering that they will always be one of the top teams like LCC was.

If you dont want a football only member in FL (They arent leaving the SCAL, and they aren't going to have a duel membership) then you you are going to have to scavenge for school like Perry that may not want in.

So ask Parkway, and when they turn you down give FL what they want.
Why not DSJ? Did I miss something?

It's called the NWCC that's what changed lol. Perry is in the right Conference for themselves. Until they can consistently get more than 30 kids on their football team, there's no reason for them to leave.
totally not disagreeing with you. but from a NWC standpoint, after Parkway and DSJ, Perry is your best option as an all sports member

i understand that 100%. could be that or something could have clicked, we don’t know but i’ve seen both happen.
Perry really should've beaten Jefferson. It was their worst game. They win that one on most nights. It was a Saturday night and it was at Stadium Park. And the ref's sucked. Just sayin' no excuse, but just sayin'

Perry is not going back to the NWC. It is not a good fit for Perry. They are very much like USV. They need to hang out with: USV, W-G, HN, & Ridgemont in all sports. Boy's basketball, I get the argument, but everything else is NWCC!!!!

I think FL for football only is a better bet than Perry.

I'd TRY for PG, Leipsic, PH, LB, McComb, etc. first too, but I just doubt there's much interest there.

I think Parkway would be a great fit. I know there is some nostalgia for Parkway when it comes to being in the MAC and saying your in the best small school conference in the state, but for most sports, most years they are in the bottom half more than they are in the top half. That is just the truth, no offense to anyone in the Parkway community.

I am not saying things would be any easier, but maybe your chance of competing for conference championships in the NWC is just higher than it is in the MAC.

I am not sure the argument. FL's gym seats 1300 and was practically filled to the rafters for the Anna game this year and for several games the last couple years. We can go around and around, but like other posters said that there is very very few small school conferences that stack up to the tradition of the SCAL from top to bottom. The MAC the only one that comes to mind. I understand your Knights are a powerhouse in basketball with 2 or 3 state titles since 2000 and I would never take that away, but as a whole the SCAL is prolly a better basketball conference from top to bottom than the NWC.

Fort Loramie has not been to state in basketball since 1993. They have won state titles in 1977, 1987, 1993. They made the final four in 1988. The boys basketball team has been in the regional every year for the last 3 season, if they win tomorrow it will be four straight trips. Football team just went to the final four two years ago, plus has been a playoff regular. Baseball just won state two years ago and is a regular in the regional. Boys XC has won state in the last two years as well.

Girls side the girls XC team is always at State, volleyball team was state runner up this pas season, won the state title 3 years ago, girls team has been regional runner up the last two years and are poised to win their third state title. They have had 6 or 7 final four appearances since 2005.

We can go around and around, you think your right, but won't listen to any valid points, so there is no sense in going any further in this. It sounds like you like the idea of FL which is fine. I am sure there are a lot of conferences that like the idea of FL. Its an unbelievable community, great values, unbelievable traditions and a sports following that sold over 1,500 tickets for regional basketball games. Any conference would be stupid not to give them a hard look.

My point for the last 3 days is the NWC for all sports would be a mistake for FL and I would almost, almost put all my money on it that it would never happen! I have a feeling FL will always hold out hope they get the invite from the All Mighty MAC, but I don't see it ever coming either.....
I think fort loramie is a great school! Fantastic. As far as basketball goes, 1993 was 27 years ago. A lot has changed. Putting butts in seats from outside schools is where the money is made. Not season ticket holders from within. I’m not at these games but can assure you that playing a good team once will put tons of butts in seats. Twice will still do it. But average teams....you won’t see the patrons travel home and away all season, every season.

We can go round and around. I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but have been told by NWC brass that Fort Loramie is exploring options to become full members in a football conference. Whether that’s the NWC is yet to be seen.

Anyway. A lot of options. Dominos will fall somewhere. I think parkway has indicated they aren’t real interested but listening. They like the MAC. DSJ the same.

Realistically, we are looking at Loramie in football and another sport. And the sounds of it are that we are exploring the NWCC and the BVC. The NWC is looking to add multiple football members and at least one full time member that is added value.

Perry had a banner year, won the first league championship and first playoff games in school history.... and lost to the NWC's last place Delphos Jefferson team

As for league, what if Pandora-Gilboa, Leipsic, McComb and (I know long shot) PH wanted in. Do you think any of those teams would be accepted? The BVC is not as stable as people think, you have a wide range of teams and many of small teams are close to ending 11-man football combined with VB and LB being not too far off from outgrowing the league. Just a thought, close proximity along with consistent teams.

Perry's football program is growing cause they're winning, that could be reversed very quickly in the NWC. As far as PG, Leipsic, McComb or PH, I think if any one of them wanted into the NWC they would be viable long term options. People think those travels would be bad but they don't worry at all about the travel time to Parkway or Fort Loramie, which doesn't make any sense to me. I'd be happy if any of those teams got added.

Honestly, regardless of the amount of money being donated, I would have told them to screw off. No reason to limit what kids could compete in for selfish reasons. Why a few kids have moved out of Lincolnview and into Crestview's district. They want to play football. I guess that's why I don't get along with many in parts of Van Wert County. Too much Indiana & Willshire/Harrison townships areas in me I guess.
Places are not going to say NO to money!

Celina has the Bryson Trust and there are quite a few stipulations on it. At times it has been a hinderence as the populace believe that is the answer to all their woes but it isnt as it can only be used for certain capital invenstments.

Places are not going to say NO to money!

Celina has the Bryson Trust and there are quite a few stipulations on it. At times it has been a hinderence as the populace believe that is the answer to all their woes but it isnt as it can only be used for certain capital invenstments.

Which leads to stupidity. Look at the fine print instead of being handcuffed. If you like the stipulations that handcuff you, then so be it. That is what they've chose so it is what it is.

Bath and that's just as likely as the other 2. After those 3 then its Perry or (Insert BVC school that wont leave here)
It’s not a matter of who but how many and whether we want to entertain football only. The NWC is one of the most profitable conferences in all sports in northwest and west Ohio (outside of the MAC which is why it would be hard to get a MAC defector). If anyone thinks that money doesn’t talk, they are mistaken. Right now, bath has not been approached. I’m not sure we will see an announcement until next fall. But what I do hear is that there are interested parties in multiple conferences.

It’s not a matter of who but how many and whether we want to entertain football only. The NWC is one of the most profitable conferences in all sports in northwest and west Ohio (outside of the MAC which is why it would be hard to get a MAC defector). If anyone thinks that money doesn’t talk, they are mistaken. Right now, bath has not been approached. I’m not sure we will see an announcement until next fall. But what I do hear is that there are interested parties in multiple conferences.

Bath wouldn't leave the WBL anyway. As much as they should.

It's just fun to talk about. While Parkway may not leave the MAC, I would still entertain the offer if they are presented one. Same goes with Bath and the WBL. And I dont expect anything big announced for awhile like you said anyway unless they are happy with a football only Ft Loramie.

Arlington? Throwing names out, Arlington would be the perfect fit for NWC
Eh. Maybe. It's much shorter travel times in the BVC and I think they'd stay because of it. But alot of things can change whether it be consolidation or 8-man football or whatever that could make them want to look. At this point I just dont see it.

Eh. Maybe. It's much shorter travel times in the BVC and I think they'd stay because of it. But alot of things can change whether it be consolidation or 8-man football or whatever that could make them want to look. At this point I just dont see it.
I agree, they will not leave BVC but when I started thinking about schools fitting in with NWC, the community of Arlington would fit in with the likes of the other communities and schools in the conferene. And being from Ada a little selfish with this choice..lol

Bath wouldn't leave the WBL anyway. As much as they should.
Lol. Poor bath. They did have a powerful women’s basketball program for quite some time. I keep going back to it, but the NWC doesn’t fit their mold. Just like Elida, St Mary’s, etc there are a lot of soccer schools in the WBL, albeit they have football too and in some cases very good football. In a perfect world, the NWC would grab a PCL team and be done. PCL is simply not a good fit because of lack of football. Grove has been one of the better additions as a dual conference member. There’s obviously an underlying theme here. Schools aren’t fielding huge football teams anymore. Thus conference realignment could become common place with 8 man and soccer getting in the way. It’s part of the reason Loramie and Anna look around. Soccer schools in the conference with a couple football teams. This is why I think there’s going to be a domino effect around the area leagues. Once the NWC lands a team or two, other conferences will grab something as well. I believe in the next couple of years that small school conferences will continue to scramble to find dedicated/full time members to fill spots for the major money sports like football and teams will flock to the conferences that bring in multi sport money.

It’s not a matter of who but how many and whether we want to entertain football only. The NWC is one of the most profitable conferences in all sports in northwest and west Ohio (outside of the MAC which is why it would be hard to get a MAC defector). If anyone thinks that money doesn’t talk, they are mistaken.

Obviously you haven't been to any SCAL basketball/volleyball games.

Also, tickets sales are a drop in the bucket when it comes to a schools overall budget. It's not than important, schools have multi million dollar budgets.

Lol. Poor bath. They did have a powerful women’s basketball program for quite some time. I keep going back to it, but the NWC doesn’t fit their mold. Just like Elida, St Mary’s, etc there are a lot of soccer schools in the WBL, albeit they have football too and in some cases very good football. In a perfect world, the NWC would grab a PCL team and be done. PCL is simply not a good fit because of lack of football. Grove has been one of the better additions as a dual conference member. There’s obviously an underlying theme here. Schools aren’t fielding huge football teams anymore. Thus conference realignment could become common place with 8 man and soccer getting in the way. It’s part of the reason Loramie and Anna look around. Soccer schools in the conference with a couple football teams. This is why I think there’s going to be a domino effect around the area leagues. Once the NWC lands a team or two, other conferences will grab something as well. I believe in the next couple of years that small school conferences will continue to scramble to find dedicated/full time members to fill spots for the major money sports like football and teams will flock to the conferences that bring in multi sport money.

Women's bball and softball are still good. The way football finished last year they at least have a pulse again. But all in all they're on par with Kenton, only with a shrinking enrollment in a 5 school town.

Obviously you haven't been to any SCAL basketball/volleyball games.

Also, tickets sales are a drop in the bucket when it comes to a schools overall budget. It's not than important, schools have multi million dollar budgets.
What schools in the SCAL have multimillion dollar sports budgets? Ticket sales are the driving force for small public schools. Most schools do have a levy or income tax percentage that goes towards various projects, salaries, and of course sports...but ticket and concessions as well as 50/50 sales are a huge part of fundraising for programs. Schools also have donors or parents clubs/pride clubs that help. But overall, most schools don’t just set aside multimillions for sports in small town Ohio.

What schools in the SCAL have multimillion dollar sports budgets? Ticket sales are the driving force for small public schools. Most schools do have a levy or income tax percentage that goes towards various projects, salaries, and of course sports...but ticket and concessions as well as 50/50 sales are a huge part of fundraising for programs. Schools also have donors or parents clubs/pride clubs that help. But overall, most schools don’t just set aside multimillions for sports in small town Ohio.
I didn't say anything about multi million SPORTS budgets. I said budgets. Believe it or not schools exist to provide more than just sports. I already said that I think the NWC is a good league, but to think you can tout ticket sales and 50/50's and just get a school to drop everything else and come to you is a pipe dream.

It's about travel and competition that teams leave leagues, money comes up but it is secondary.

I can't speak for any of the other teams mentioned, but FL isn't leaving the SCAL. They want a consistant football only home like Anna has.

Last edited:
Nothing but love bird dog. Haha. One of the best fits as a dual conference member is what I meant!
Just messing obviously haha. I have always loved being in both conferences though especially during basketball and baseball season. It seems to make every game matter more because you're playing 2 league games most weekends. And in football now since 2015 we have our own version of the PCL "championship" with Grove, Leipsic, and Pandora all playing each other every year

I think Parkway should look at joining the NWC as a football and wrestling only member. I think that would be the win-win for all parties involved. This allows Anna to stay the same and possibly Ft Loramie to be a football only member of the MAC. Now let's see how stubborn everyone is.

I didn't say anything about multi million SPORTS budgets. I said budgets. Believe it or not schools exist to provide more than just sports. I already said that I think the NWC is a good league, but to think you can tout ticket sales and 50/50's and just get a school to drop everything else and come to you is a pipe dream.

It's about travel and competition that teams leave leagues, money comes up but it is secondary.

I can't speak for any of the other teams mentioned, but FL isn't leaving the SCAL. They want a consistant football only home like Anna has.
This is a sports forum.....and we are talking about sports funding! The NWC also provides some of the top academic schools in the state. I think you are confused on how budgets work, so I will speak for Crestview in relation to sports since this is my wheelhouse. I have a good knowledge base of these facts:

Each school is given a stipend by the state for each kid in their school district. The smaller the school, the less the amount of money that Ohio provides. If you have a child in your school district that open enrolls elsewhere, the money that the original school receives has to be paid out to the open enrolled school.

Now. Down to brass facts. Crestview pays for their facilities (sports and otherwise) and coach's salaries via their general fund. The general fund is made up of two things. First, it is made up of state funding, and secondly, ours is made up of a 1% tax levy. We also have secondary funding from windmills in the Northern part of our district. This generates upwards of 800K per year for the school district. Most school districts don't have this in their general fund.

As for sports, each program is given a discretionary spending amount, BASED ON TICKET SALES. This is done at most schools. Season ticket holders don't really help the cause with schools such as Fort Loramie because those are one time funds received and often less than booth sales. Back to Crestview. The sports teams are on a four year rotation with sports uniforms. If uniforms are needed sooner, then there has to be money in the athletic director's coffers for the uniforms. Outside of that, discretionary spend money (typically in the 1500 - 5000 dollar range per year BASED ON TICKET SALES) is all the coaches have. The way our sports teams offset other costs is via fundraising and the Knight Pride Club. Fundraisers such as spaghetti dinners, Kids Night Out, cookouts, etc can all bring in a few thousand at a time. The Knight Pride Club is an independent parent formed entity that sells memberships, does raffels, sells t-shirts, etc. for the sports programs. A coach needs to go before their board to ask for donated money to help their program.

Bottom line is that ticket sales and 50/50 drive the funding for each sport and this is common place at all small schools. We all have our forms of fundraising, but money isn't split equally between programs. Typically the schools athletic budget is very very small but ticket sales help tremendously.

As for my pipe dream of FL.....the NWC will land whatever it needs to land to keep rolling. Fort Loramie probably offers less as far as diversity in sports as alot of schools mentioned on this board. Leipsic, Patrick Henry, etc offer more diversity. But, if Fort Loramie wants to join as a full member, I'm sure our board would accept.

I think Parkway should look at joining the NWC as a football and wrestling only member. I think that would be the win-win for all parties involved. This allows Anna to stay the same and possibly Ft Loramie to be a football only member of the MAC. Now let's see how stubborn everyone is.
That would be fantastic. I'm sure discussions are ongoing. I think it still goes back to money. I've been told that booth sales are the main reason that Parkway wants to stay put. The MAC travels better than the NWC. Football is king in the MAC. The NWC travels well, but not all schools are as consistent as the MAC.

That would be fantastic. I'm sure discussions are ongoing. I think it still goes back to money. I've been told that booth sales are the main reason that Parkway wants to stay put. The MAC travels better than the NWC. Football is king in the MAC. The NWC travels well, but not all schools are as consistent as the MAC.

Most likely due to proximity as most members besides DSJ & Versailles are pretty close. One of the points I'm not a fan of the NWC. I'd think certain NWC members would have to look at other options as the travel costs for small schools could really be reduced. Though as you mentioned, the windmill money has helped a few like Crestview & Lincolnview as well as GMC members.