The New Portage Trail Conference

wildcat71

AWith departures of Mantua Crestwood and Garrettsville Garfield the Portage Trail Conference ( formerly county division) adds parochial school powers Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas and Warren John F. Kennedy. Hold overs are Mogadore, Rootstown, Ravenna Southeast and Hartville Lake Center Christian ( no football yet...). Thinking Warren JFK will be tough as the return many from last year's state runner up in D 7. St Thomas came on strong at end of COVID-19 shorten season. Mogadore is always reloading. Thoughts on others or new league in general.

Mogadore will be great every year. That's just their nature. JFK brings back a very, very good line on offense and a very good front 7 on defense. Our biggest question is skill on both sides of the ball. We lose the reigning D7 player of the year, who was actually better on offense and the only D7 player in the state that signed a scholarship to a D1 FBS school. They both are going to be hard to replace. I look for the offense to change a little to suit who we have coming back. If they get it sorted out we could make a bit of a run again. I really look forward to playing Moggy every year now.

St Thomas will be a wildcard here. Who knows what their roster is going to look like. They do lose a very good WR/DB and their QB play was pretty bad. They have some athletes though and will play very tough. Im interested to see how they play.

Rootstown and Southeast will play tough, physical football. If its any indication as to whats is coming though, our 7th/8th graders beat the Rovers 38-6 to end the season.

The favorite is JFK.
It's a coin flip but They have a slight edge over the Cats IMO.

Darkhorses- Southeast and Rootstown. Both return some key players but I don't think they have enough to beat both of the top two teams.

STA-might get one league win if the ball bounces the right way.

Mogadore gets Ravenna Southeast and Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas both home. Road games at Rootstown and I'm looking forward to attending the JFK/ Mogadore game at the historic Warren stadium. I sure wish Lake Center Christian would get a football team...they are certainly big enough size wise and you have to start sometime...look at how far Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy has come !

AWith departures of Mantua Crestwood and Garrettsville Garfield the Portage Trail Conference ( formerly county division) adds parochial school powers Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas and Warren John F. Kennedy. Hold overs are Mogadore, Rootstown, Ravenna Southeast and Hartville Lake Center Christian ( no football yet...). Thinking Warren JFK will be tough as the return many from last year's state runner up in D 7. St Thomas came on strong at end of COVID-19 shorten season. Mogadore is always reloading. Thoughts on others or new league in general.

What league did Crestwood and Garfield end up in??

What league did Crestwood and Garfield end up in??
Crestwood joined the Chagrin Valley Conference Valley Division (Beachwood, Berkshire, Cardinal, Grand Valley, Painesville Harvey, Hawken School).
Garfield will help form a new tier in the Mahoning Valley Athletic Conference (Brookfield, Campbell Memorial, Champion, Crestview, LaBrae, Liberty, Newton Falls)

If Mogadore can put together another good line like they seem to always do and will, I think that #42 is going to run through this league like a buffalo stampede. In his senior year I can see him be dominating force on both sides of the ball.

If Mogadore can put together another good line like they seem to always do and will, I think that #42 is going to run through this league like a buffalo stampede. In his senior year I can see him be dominating force on both sides of the ball.
He is a special player and great state wrestler too!