The 'Mangas Syndrome'...Made Out Of The Same Mold

Being recruited can mean many things. I know kids who have gotten form letters from big schools. Are they being recruited, some say yes, I say no.
Others kids get hand written notes. Are they being recruited, some say yes, I say no. Others receive phone calls by staff showing interest. Are they being recruited, Most say yes, I say no, unless they are offered on the call or have already been offered. Other kids get home visits, I say probably yes because they either have been offered or are about to be offered. Last, other kids are officially offered. THEY ARE GETTING RECRUITED.

My question to you dcal419, is where is West Virginia on this list I provided. My guess is he is the backup, of the backup, of the backup plan, even though I think the kid is a PURE WINNER. Huggins puts this guy with the crazy athletic players he usually has and Mangus will make them all better. The kid is nuts, he wouldn't be intimidated by anyone on his team or an opponent.

I'm not involved in his recruitment what so ever. I do know that he has received phone calls from the staff, and i can say he does not have a official offer. All i was doing was saying that he is being recruited by West Virginia, what level of interest i don't know.

I could actually find that to be somewhat believable as Huggy Bear has some history recruiting lower rated or under the radar guys that he's convinced have "it" and absolutely love to play...and if you've ever seen a West Virginia practice, you have to love to play to survive in that program.

What's hard to believe is a power 5 school is still recruiting guys for the current cycle. Not very common this late in the process. I would suspect this is preferred walk-on territory unless they expect a scholarship to open up with someone transferring out, in which case this guy is probably a few options down the totem pole to fill that spot.

I'm not involved in his recruitment what so ever. I do know that he has received phone calls from the staff, and i can say he does not have a official offer. All i was doing was saying that he is being recruited by West Virginia, what level of interest i don't know.
Cool and I was just curious where exactly their interest level was. Just been around recruiting for many years and I hate it when a kid thinks he is being recruited because he had contact with a school. If they [the arhlete] do not understand the reality of the process, unrealistic thoughts creep into them and then they end up not showing interest in a D 2, Naia, etc and lose out on potential opportunities. Thanks for your info.

I could actually find that to be somewhat believable as Huggy Bear has some history recruiting lower rated or under the radar guys that he's convinced have "it" and absolutely love to play...and if you've ever seen a West Virginia practice, you have to love to play to survive in that program.

What's hard to believe is a power 5 school is still recruiting guys for the current cycle. Not very common this late in the process. I would suspect this is preferred walk-on territory unless they expect a scholarship to open up with someone transferring out, in which case this guy is probably a few options down the totem pole to fill that spot.
That is a good point!

Cool and I was just curious where exactly their interest level was. Just been around recruiting for many years and I hate it when a kid thinks he is being recruited because he had contact with a school. If they [the arhlete] do not understand the reality of the process, unrealistic thoughts creep into them and then they end up not showing interest in a D 2, Naia, etc and lose out on potential opportunities. Thanks for your info.

Very true.... And that's probably unfortunately what's going to be the case for mangas. Like it or leave it, very skilled player but he's just not physically a scholarship D1 player. He could have a very nice career at a D2 school and perhaps a great career at the D3 level if he'd be willing to go that route.

Very true.... And that's probably unfortunately what's going to be the case for mangas. Like it or leave it, very skilled player but he's just not physically a scholarship D1 player. He could have a very nice career at a D2 school and perhaps a great career at the D3 level if he'd be willing to go that route.
I actually think he could be the difference maker for a lower D 1. He does things on the court that most dont see and his body control is ridiculous. Most important, he is a fierce competitor when its crunch time. I been around d 1, d2 d3 players in high school and in aau (real aau). He is right there with the best I have been around.

I actually think he could be the difference maker for a lower D 1. He does things on the court that most dont see and his body control is ridiculous. Most important, he is a fierce competitor when its crunch time. I been around d 1, d2 d3 players in high school and in aau (real aau). He is right there with the best I have been around.

His strength is in transition and right now most of his points are off lay ups with little to know inside presence to attack in the paint. His scoring is predicated off his teammates setting him up to score. At the D1 level he would need to fit into the right system and TBH scorers like him are a dime a dozen. As skilled as he is, I just don't see the physical athletic ability necessary to be a scholarship D1 athlete. Not having an aau season last spring probably hurt him getting the attention he needed to garner any true d1 attention. Go D2 or D3 and have a nice career and win championships. Going to low D1 doesn't have the same clout imo especially in basketball.

I have only seen Mangas play on Hudl and social media. How does he stack up at this point in his career to Dakota Mathias for those who have seen both play? It appears their measurables are very similar.

His strength is in transition and right now most of his points are off lay ups with little to know inside presence to attack in the paint. His scoring is predicated off his teammates setting him up to score. At the D1 level he would need to fit into the right system and TBH scorers like him are a dime a dozen. As skilled as he is, I just don't see the physical athletic ability necessary to be a scholarship D1 athlete. Not having an aau season last spring probably hurt him getting the attention he needed to garner any true d1 attention. Go D2 or D3 and have a nice career and win championships. Going to low D1 doesn't have the same clout imo especially in basketball.
I have watched him play 15-20 times live and probably another 10 on tv. Yes allot of his points are of off transition because teams they play suck at transition defense against this talented team. I suggest he can get to the basket almost anytime he wants from the wing on drives. As he improves his pull up 10 footers he will be a dynamic offensive player. An organized offense will suit him better in the half court, but he is solid in transition. Defensively I believe he will have few issues defending most d 1 6-2 to 6-5 players. The mental factor puts him over the top. I have been lucky to see probably a 100+ small d 1 and d 2 players. If you want someone to look the part of a d1 mid major player, he probably doesn't fit. If you want someone who will beat most of those Mid major d 1 players, then he is a good choice. By the way, I have no problem with him going to a good d 2 program. May end up an All American down the road in d 2.

I have watched him play 15-20 times live and probably another 10 on tv. Yes allot of his points are of off transition because teams they play suck at transition defense against this talented team. I suggest he can get to the basket almost anytime he wants from the wing on drives. As he improves his pull up 10 footers he will be a dynamic offensive player. An organized offense will suit him better in the half court, but he is solid in transition. Defensively I believe he will have few issues defending most d 1 6-2 to 6-5 players. The mental factor puts him over the top. I have been lucky to see probably a 100+ small d 1 and d 2 players. If you want someone to look the part of a d1 mid major player, he probably doesn't fit. If you want someone who will beat most of those Mid major d 1 players, then he is a good choice. By the way, I have no problem with him going to a good d 2 program. May end up an All American down the road in d 2.

Exactly to my point. Why go to an average at best small D1 program and get lucky and maybe make the tournament one time and get destroyed on the big stage, when you go smaller and compete at a possible championship level for four years. Seems like a no brainer. Big fish in a small pond sounds a lot better to me than little to no playing time at an average D1 program. Plus, unfortunately, most coaches at the D1 level don't recruit for the "mental factor." Their jobs are on the line annually and most can't afford to take that risk. They don't only recruit talent, they recruit athletic ability and with minimal scholarships available in basketball it's just not meant to workout that way. Sometimes football coaches can get away with it, but even then not too often.

Exactly to my point. Why go to an average at best small D1 program and get lucky and maybe make the tournament one time and get destroyed on the big stage, when you go smaller and compete at a possible championship level for four years. Seems like a no brainer. Big fish in a small pond sounds a lot better to me than little to no playing time at an average D1 program. Plus, unfortunately, most coaches at the D1 level don't recruit for the "mental factor." Their jobs are on the line annually and most can't afford to take that risk. They don't only recruit talent, they recruit athletic ability and with minimal scholarships available in basketball it's just not meant to workout that way. Sometimes football coaches can get away with it, but even then not too often.
Maybe because college will be 100% free at d1 and not at lower levels in most cases.

Maybe because college will be 100% free at d1 and not at lower levels in most cases.

College coaches at the D2 and D3 level do a pretty good job of making the cost pretty low for those who they want in their program, especially at the D2 level. Not to mention the only thing that is 100% free is tuition room and board, but there are definitely other expenses that rack up. Plus, living in Shawnee, I'm sure his family has the means to make up the difference in costs.

College coaches at the D2 and D3 level do a pretty good job of making the cost pretty low for those who they want in their program, especially at the D2 level. Not to mention the only thing that is 100% free is tuition room and board, but there are definitely other expenses that rack up. Plus, living in Shawnee, I'm sure his family has the means to make up the difference in costs.
College coaches at the D3 level far and away have zero say in the coast for students. It is all up to the FAFSA, institutional scholarships students can apply for (if they fit the criteria of said scholarship) and merit based awarding. D2/NAIA have some money they prioritize towards who they want. Also, you forgot the cost of attendance checks, shoes, gear, traveling that is also 100% free to the D1 athletes.

College coaches at the D3 level far and away have zero say in the coast for students. It is all up to the FAFSA, institutional scholarships students can apply for (if they fit the criteria of said scholarship) and merit based awarding. D2/NAIA have some money they prioritize towards who they want. Also, you forgot the cost of attendance checks, shoes, gear, traveling that is also 100% free to the D1 athletes.

D3 coaches don't have a lot of say, sure, but the good ones know how to find grants and other aid to help offset costs to their athletes. Sure D1 is great and cheaper, but when a school is chosen kids need to think about their best fit, not only in terms of athletics, but academically and socially as well. Sometimes that isn't D1, sometimes it is. I have to wonder too what his plans are outside of basketball. That should be considered as well, probably more so than his fit for basketball.

D3 coaches don't have a lot of say, sure, but the good ones know how to find grants and other aid to help offset costs to their athletes. Sure D1 is great and cheaper, but when a school is chosen kids need to think about their best fit, not only in terms of athletics, but academically and socially as well. Sometimes that isn't D1, sometimes it is. I have to wonder too what his plans are outside of basketball. That should be considered as well, probably more so than his fit for basketball.
Absolutely agree with everything you say besides the D3 coaches finding grants for kids. Each institute has a finite number of grants/institutional scholarships. I've worked in D3 and we had no say in what grants kids got. Most of the time that was automatically added based on financial info for each kid (FAFSA).

Absolutely agree with everything you say besides the D3 coaches finding grants for kids. Each institute has a finite number of grants/institutional scholarships. I've worked in D3 and we had no say in what grants kids got. Most of the time that was automatically added based on financial info for each kid (FAFSA).

Grants may be the wrong wording, but there is financial aid available that I know for a fact was made available through the help of the coach. Different institutions may have different people working.

Grants may be the wrong wording, but there is financial aid available that I know for a fact was made available through the help of the coach. Different institutions may have different people working.
Could be. But the vast majority of D3 does not work that way.

Being recruited can mean many things. I know kids who have gotten form letters from big schools. Are they being recruited, some say yes, I say no.
Others kids get hand written notes. Are they being recruited, some say yes, I say no. Others receive phone calls by staff showing interest. Are they being recruited, Most say yes, I say no, unless they are offered on the call or have already been offered. Other kids get home visits, I say probably yes because they either have been offered or are about to be offered. Last, other kids are officially offered. THEY ARE GETTING RECRUITED.
So basically, you think I wasn't dating my wife until I got married to her? What sense does that make? You think schools are sending letters to kids they aren't trying to convince to come to their school? You think they're sending handwritten notes because they're bored? No. The second communication is started, you're being recruited.

So basically, you think I wasn't dating my wife until I got married to her? What sense does that make? You think schools are sending letters to kids they aren't trying to convince to come to their school? You think they're sending handwritten notes because they're bored? No. The second communication is started, you're being recruited.
Ya, this guy is pretty much wrong in every way in that post. Being recruited comes in many forms (including every way he lists above) and it means YOU ARE GETTING RECUITED.

Yes,yes,yes, and yes. A kid may be number 7 on the schools board for a position. So that player gets letters, calls, etc. Using your example, They are not being asked out on dates, but the dater has, lets say, five phone numbers in their directory, calls all five of them occasionally, maybe a date once in awhile, but as soon as number one says I want to date you. Probably those other poor saps numbers are deleted and they never hear from the guy or girl again. Now if you want to consider that being recruited, go ahead. I can show you a pile of hundreds of form letters, written letters, phone records, that all led to no offers. Actually, not going do all that, but I promise they existed The kid did get multiple offers, just not from the vast majority of the schools who made consistent contact with them.....Its all in how you look at it I guess.

Yes,yes,yes, and yes. Clarification, I am talking D 1 basketball and football only! A kid may be number 7 on the schools board for a position. So that player gets letters, calls, etc. Using your example, They are not being asked out on dates, but the dater has, lets say, five phone numbers in their directory, calls all five of them occasionally, maybe a date once in awhile, but as soon as number one says I want to date you. Probably those other poor saps numbers are deleted and they never hear from the guy or girl again. Now if you want to consider that being recruited, go ahead. I can show you a pile of hundreds of form letters, written letters, phone records, that all led to no offers. Actually, not going do all that, but I promise they existed The kid did get multiple offers, just not from the vast majority of the schools who made consistent contact with them.....Its all in how you look at it I guess. But insane 92, if you dont get an offer, did it matter that you got letters and calls? If it does in your mind, then good for you. I prefer to think when the school puts a four year tution free, books free, housing free offer on the table, you are being recruited. They are saying we want you. Otherwise, schools are saying we maybe down the road may want you. To each his own. Maybe a similiar thought process as participation trophies.

Last edited:
I guess your experience with these expenses were drastically different than mine. One I'm thinking about, the young man got a check to live off campus after his freshman year which more than paid for rent, utilities, food, gas , and less needed things. This was D 1 football.

I guess your experience with these expenses were drastically different than mine. One I'm thinking about, the young man got a check to live off campus after his freshman year which more than paid for rent, utilities, food, gas , and less needed things. This was D 1 football.

Sounds like a check to cover room and board? Isn't that what I'm saying? Must've been a helluva check. Mom and dad must be retired educators

Sounds like a check to cover room and board? Isn't that what I'm saying? Must've been a helluva check. Mom and dad must be retired educators

Once you move off campus you get the same amount of money that the dorm room plus food plan would have been worth if you stayed in a dorm. Considering most players live in an apartment with 2 or 3 other players, that check more than covers the rent and food. There can be a pretty substantial amount left over which is what LimaJock is referring to

We probably agree
I think we are saying pretty much same thing. In my example, the kid had everything paid for with money left over. Only cost to parents was all the travel expenses to see games. Even tickets were free to parents.

Not sure why Mangas is not getting any D - 1 offers. Maybe he doesn't pass the eye test but if Ahrens can play in the BIG so can Mangas, IMO.
Ahrens is a better shooter and more athletic plus a legit 6'5. Mangas is a very good player but more finesse than Ahrens. Too different styles of play. I still think Mangas can be a good MAC level player.

Ahrens is a better shooter and more athletic plus a legit 6'5. Mangas is a very good player but more finesse than Ahrens. Too different styles of play. I still think Mangas can be a good MAC level player.
Mangas is more physical than Ahrens ( at least at the H.S. level ), also a better ball handler.. I would like to see a team play a box and one on Mangas. Saint Henry and Marion Local did so on Ahrens in back to back games and held him to under 10 pts. in both games.

Last edited:
Mangas is more physical than Ahrens ( at least at the H.S. level ), also a better ball handler.. I would like to see a team play a box and one on Mangas. Saint Henry and Marion Local did so on Ahrens in back to back games and held him to under 10 pts. in both games.
Van Wert tried and utterly failed. The kids moves so well without the ball he’s tough to handle one on one off the ball.