The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power

Crusaders

This sort of half-assed, self-indulgent crap ruined Game of Thrones and doomed the new Stars Wars trilogy to be panned from outset. But at least those made their studios money. This is shaping up to a $1b colossal bomb. It's like they decided to toss out what made the LOTR trilogy so good and turned up everything people disliked about the Hobbit trilogy to 11.

What exactly made the trilogy so good? It wasn't to my taste, particularly after that troll showed up, so I don't understand what people see in it. Not taking shots mind you. Just curious.

This sort of half-assed, self-indulgent crap ruined Game of Thrones and doomed the new Stars Wars trilogy to be panned from outset. But at least those made their studios money. This is shaping up to a $1b colossal bomb. It's like they decided to toss out what made the LOTR trilogy so good and turned up everything people disliked about the Hobbit trilogy to 11.

what makes you think this is being half-assed?

If it’s woke, it will fail. You can’t piss off nerds who are loyal to a specific IP, just ask Star Wars.

If it’s woke, it will fail. You can’t piss off nerds who are loyal to a specific IP, just ask Star Wars.

1645537017466.png

AMZ doesn't have the best track record when it comes to original content. There are a couple critics darlings that have a woke angle, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel & Transparent, but no real water cooler type show like you see on other streaming platforms. They do like to spend big $s on sets and locations so that should make the Tolkien fans happy but I am not holding out much hope for this thing.

On a related note it appears a South Park character has a tie in with the LOTR:

what makes you think this is being half-assed?

There are a few quotes I’ve read I can’t find at the moment, but they basically outline that the writing was done with story accuracy on the back burner. They’re doing things based on money. For example, they didn’t want to hold out on bringing in some of the known characters till the 3rd season even though that makes the most sense for the era the story takes place in. And they wanted their human characters to stick around for the entirety of the series, even though it takes place over hundreds of years. There are some things you have to do within a particular universe. Humans don’t live long. Elves do. And Tolkien’s universe, Elves are the main characters before the Third Age. In the Second Age, where this story takes place, men, mostly Numenoreans, don’t emerge as a powerful ally till later to fight against Sauron. Even if you did a little non-linear storytelling, human characters, again, wouldn’t really show up till halfway through. And again Amazon didn’t like that, so they’re just going to change it. It speaks to how corporate and safe this project is and how little care is being taken with the writing being faithful to Tolkien

Last edited:
There are a few quotes I’ve read I can’t find at the moment, but they basically outline that the writing was done with story accuracy on the back burner. They’re doing things based on money. For example, they didn’t want to hold out on bringing in some of the known characters till the 3rd season even though that makes the most sense for the era the story takes place in. And they wanted their human characters to stick around for the entirety of the series, even though it takes place over hundreds of years. There are some things you have to do within a particular universe. Humans don’t live long. Elves do. And Tolkien’s universe, Elves are the main characters before the Third Age. In the Second Age, where this story takes place, men, mostly Numenoreans, don’t emerge as a powerful ally till later to fight against Sauron. Even if you did a little non-linear storytelling, human characters, again, wouldn’t really show up till halfway through. And again Amazon didn’t like that, so they’re just going to change it. It speaks to how corporate and safe this project is and how little care is being taken with the writing being faithful to Tolkien

The story revolves around some of the known characters? So I'm not sure why that's an argument. It makes no sense to bring them all in from the start.

Elrond and Galadriel are good starts. Then later you can possibly bring in Gandalf and the other wizards. It will help keep things fresh while expanding the universe.

A few of the Elves from the LOTR and The Hobbit (Thurandil, but not Legolas) are around, but the human characters we've seen from that time, like Isildur, weren't around till near the end of the Second Age. The wizards aren't sent to Middle Earth till around 1000 years into the Third Age, or 1000 years after the battle Isildur and Elrond are shown fighting in at the beginning of the Fellowship. Mind you, the Second Age lasts about 3,500 years, with Sauron being a major player for the last 3000 years of it.

There are a lot of events and characters from the time of the show that appears in the Silmarillion and some other things. There's a lot of material to use and create something. But what it appears they've come up with is not good

A few of the Elves from the LOTR and The Hobbit (Thurandil, but not Legolas) are around, but the human characters we've seen from that time, like Isildur, weren't around till near the end of the Second Age. The wizards aren't sent to Middle Earth till around 1000 years into the Third Age, or 1000 years after the battle Isildur and Elrond are shown fighting in at the beginning of the Fellowship. Mind you, the Second Age lasts about 3,500 years, with Sauron being a major player for the last 3000 years of it.

There are a lot of events and characters from the time of the show that appears in the Silmarillion and some other things. There's a lot of material to use and create something. But what it appears they've come up with is not good

fwiw, as I understand it they are going to jump around in time, likely each season, to cover all those periods over the length of the show. They won't strictly stay in the same timeframe that the show starts in. There will be time jumps.

Yep, it’s going to be a colossal failure. You can’t piss off the existing fan base and hope to replace them with the woke crowd, it’s not going to happen. The woke crowd only cares about infesting an IP with their ideology, they don’t care about watching the actual product.

AMZ doesn't have the best track record when it comes to original content. There are a couple critics darlings that have a woke angle, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel & Transparent, but no real water cooler type show like you see on other streaming platforms. They do like to spend big $s on sets and locations so that should make the Tolkien fans happy but I am not holding out much hope for this thing.

On a related note it appears a South Park character has a tie in with the LOTR:

That’s why South Park is still awesome. They retconned a character name to make a joke gaslighting people about being racist.

That’s exactly the opposite of what I’ve read.

Don't know if its a single human lifespan but they are condense the whole second age into a single story, having characters interact that are supposed to be thousands of years apart and just put groups together that never would have met in Tolkien Time.

The worst thing I have read about the series is that they don't actually have the Rights to the Simallarion and other books that actually contain the 2nd age story. They only have the rights to LOTR, the Hobbit, and the Appendices. They can only tell the story based on the short descriptions of the Appendices and allusions made in the Main books. Instead of small stories that could be properly drawn out from those books they are basically forced to make a story inspired by and loosely based on the age they are telling. They may need a Game of Thrones type story to justify the cost for the Tolkien rights but it seems more like a story wearing a LoTR costume.

You mean the newest Star Wars films, right?

The Force Awakens: $2.06 billion
The Last Jedi: $1.33 billion
The Rise of Skywalker: $1.08 billion
Rogue One: $1.06 billion

The Rise of Skywalker was garbage and still joined the billion dollar club. It was by far and away the worst Star Wars film after Episode I and it still did really well. Obviously not as colossal as TFA, but 99.9999% of movies aren't either

Not to mention The Mandalorian is a giant hit lol. I think Star Wars is doing just fine, even if it is a bit fatigued

You mean the newest Star Wars films, right?

The Force Awakens: $2.06 billion
The Last Jedi: $1.33 billion
The Rise of Skywalker: $1.08 billion
Rogue One: $1.06 billion

The Rise of Skywalker was garbage and still joined the billion dollar club. It was by far and away the worst Star Wars film after Episode I and it still did really well. Obviously not as colossal as TFA, but 99.9999% of movies aren't either

Not to mention The Mandalorian is a giant hit lol. I think Star Wars is doing just fine, even if it is a bit fatigued
Didn’t the Solo movie bomb? I’m also pretty sure they burnt all of their bridges with that last movie too.

All this anger over a show that doesn't even have a full trailer out yet and doesn't premiere for 7 more months. Weird
Bc people like you keep f’n up tv shows & movies. Not everything needs to a multicultural, LGBTQ12xy% celebration.

And I don’t even care about Star Wars or LOTR, but you people are why 99% of entertainment sucks.

Nike could have a commercial where it’s a sweatshop foreman beating an 8 yr old line worker to death and it would be less disgusting than this

Didn’t the Solo movie bomb? I’m also pretty sure they burnt all of their bridges with that last movie too.
Yes, Solo bombed, but that was before The Rise of Skywalker.

The Mandalorian continues to do well commercially and with critics now.

There is definitely Star Wars fatigue, but nowhere near the level you are trying to convey

Bc people like you keep f’n up tv shows & movies. Not everything needs to a multicultural, LGBTQ12xy% celebration.

And I don’t even care about Star Wars or LOTR, but you people are why 99% of entertainment sucks.
You clearly care to continue to take the time to talk about it.

Are you this mad there are black characters in a fantasy movie with hobbits, elves and monsters from hell? ?

You clearly care to continue to take the time to talk about it.

Are you this mad there are black characters in a fantasy movie with hobbits, elves and monsters from hell? ?
I mean they’re basically spitting in the face of Tolkein to meet an agenda, it’s pretty despicable. You guys/leftist dbags care more about meeting racial quotas in the cast & pushing s**tty woke narratives than the actual quality of the show.

Yes, Solo bombed, but that was before The Rise of Skywalker.

The Mandalorian continues to do well commercially and with critics now.

There is definitely Star Wars fatigue, but nowhere near the level you are trying to convey
Isn’t the Mandalorian run by difft producers? It’s not surprising it would do better outside of the movie universe.

I mean they’re basically spitting in the face of Tolkein to meet an agenda, it’s pretty despicable. You guys/leftist dbags care more about meeting racial quotas in the cast & pushing s**tty woke narratives than the actual quality of the show.
It's a black person in a movie about hobbits, trolls, demons, giant animals, elves and monsters. Who gives a ****