The Last of Us

I think both shows will be constantly compared to each other as long as they remain popular. For me, TWD is the better of the two. Maybe because it was first. I know there are alot of people that really think the Ellie/Joel dynamic is great television but I don't see it. I think both are excellent characters but there is just something missing for me. I'll mark this episode down as a solid episode and a good way to end the season.

One thing that I dislike about both shows is that humanity is on the verge of extinction. Every random kill is one step closer to the end. If Ellie and Joel had never crossed the country, three communities would still be around. Life should be more precious. I agree with @irish_buffalo about the characters being cold as ice but at this rate, there won't be any characters left in the world.

As final episodes to a season go this one felt more like an epilogue then a full blown wrap up to a season. I actually get the shoot 'em up scene as what someone playing the game would probably feel comfortable & realistically doing but the ending felt like a lot of side dishes with no main course. Not knowing the game at all it feels like season 1 was a quest unrealized with season 2 being set up for Joel & Ellie to be chased and avoiding various folks that want to get their hands on Ellie. Like I said previously, I am not counting down the days until the season 2 premier.

I haven’t seen anything that couldn’t be considered realistic within the parameters of a fungus zombie event. 🤷‍♂️
Never heard of the video game, but like the show. Ending makes you think what would you do in same situation. I am positive Republicans would reject any vaccination that would cure them. The thought of that makes me smile.

Was there a time leap as well? They went from the middle of brutal winter last episode to feeding a giraffe and some decent weather this episode.

Last edited:
Never heard of the video game, but like the show. Ending makes you think what would you do in same situation. I am positive Republicans would reject any vaccination that would cure them. The thought of that makes me smile.
You're positive about a lot of things that are wrong though.

Personally, I've had the vax four times and tested positive for covid twice.

But I ride my bicycle without a mask, so ...

Last edited:
I watched it like I do every Sunday, I stream it on HBO Max. Regular TV doesn't interfere with my schedule. I wonder how many people are actually watching it on HBO when it is telecast and how many people like me are watching it on their streaming service. I guess the one negative on my way of watching it is that I can't read this thread until I've watched it, which may be a few minutes or even hours after others have watched it.

I watched it like I do every Sunday, I stream it on HBO Max. Regular TV doesn't interfere with my schedule. I wonder how many people are actually watching it on HBO when it is telecast and how many people like me are watching it on their streaming service. I guess the one negative on my way of watching it is that I can't read this thread until I've watched it, which may be a few minutes or even hours after others have watched it.
After 5 episode, Nielsen had it around 1.1 billion minutes streamed that week (Nielsen is way behind). This does not count the live viewers on HBO

There's an article saying it's averaging ~30 million an episode:

Sunday’s finale averaged 8.2 million viewers across all platforms for HBO, up slightly from the previous week’s 8.1 million and an opening-night high for the nine-episode season. The series grew steadily throughout the season and, according to HBO, is averaging 30.4 million viewers since its Jan. 15 premiere.

The latter figure also means that The Last of Us is now bigger than House of the Dragon, which averaged 29 million cross-platform viewers over the course of its run in the late summer and fall of 2022.

Again, I know nothing about the game, and liked the episode. It is very clear why Joel is lying to Ellie, he can not bear to lose another person he cares about, but it does not bode well for their relationship in Season 2.

Someone explain to me... In Boston, Marlene asked Joel to get Ellie to that hospital out west. She could not go. Then she ends up in Salt Lake City and says she had five armed men with her and barely made it? Why was taking Ellie in that fashion not her first option? Did I miss her explanation?

Again, I know nothing about the game, and liked the episode. It is very clear why Joel is lying to Ellie, he can not bear to lose another person he cares about, but it does not bode well for their relationship in Season 2.

Someone explain to me... In Boston, Marlene asked Joel to get Ellie to that hospital out west. She could not go. Then she ends up in Salt Lake City and says she had five armed men with her and barely made it? Why was taking Ellie in that fashion not her first option? Did I miss her explanation?
If I understand correctly, Joel and Tess were only supposed to smuggle her to another group of Fireflies cross-city at the Capitol building (who would then take her to SLC). And given Marlene was hurt at the time, it made sense to have another group attempt the trip. I would surmise that her eventual trip was more direct, getting her to the Hospital shortly before Joel and Ellie, considering all the detours/side-trips they had to make en route.

If I understand correctly, Joel and Tess were only supposed to smuggle her to another group of Fireflies cross-city at the Capitol building (who would then take her to SLC). And given Marlene was hurt at the time, it made sense to have another group attempt the trip. I would surmise that her eventual trip was more direct, getting her to the Hospital shortly before Joel and Ellie, considering all the detours/side-trips they had to make en route.
Ah yes, I forgot that, thanks.

HBO's zombie/survival thriller based on the classic PlayStation game. Premieres tonight at 9

Excited for this one
They keep adding main characters to the script. Because most aren't LOOONG for this world. I've watched four episodes, and has ANYBODY figured out their endgame?

I'm assuming I don't have to write **spoiler** in this thread but I'll do it anyway:

**spoiler**

I think Joel was slightly wrong to kill all those people in the hospital. He didn't need to kill all of them, especially if they had already given up or were clearly not a threat.

With that said, the arrogance of the Fireflies is amazing. To have just gone through a pandemic that had so many scientists disagree on nearly every aspect of Covid, it is amazing that this tiny little hospital thought they knew for sure that they could cure the world by killing this girl and that their way was the only way. Maybe the cure will come from another procedure where they need the immune patient alive. They chose one chance to "save the world" instead of multiple chances going forward.

I'm assuming I don't have to write **spoiler** in this thread but I'll do it anyway:

**spoiler**

I think Joel was slightly wrong to kill all those people in the hospital. He didn't need to kill all of them, especially if they had already given up or were clearly not a threat.

With that said, the arrogance of the Fireflies is amazing. To have just gone through a pandemic that had so many scientists disagree on nearly every aspect of Covid, it is amazing that this tiny little hospital thought they knew for sure that they could cure the world by killing this girl and that their way was the only way. Maybe the cure will come from another procedure where they need the immune patient alive. They chose one chance to "save the world" instead of multiple chances going forward.
I'd agree the story as shown never gave the Fireflies the competence that would make the story credible. Every group hoping to survive will be arrogant or they won't survive. They're only depicting one group so far. I think normal presumption is the "superheroes" survive or we wouldn't have fiction. I can leap that those doctors were discovered and protected. Even so, with all the presumptions the story still could go they were wrong and that there are others out there that might have a solution.

Having been through the mill a bit, "so many doctors" will always disagree, mostly vectored to their particular research or specialty. But as I didn't see ANY doctors offices say, "don't bother" to masking and general consensus, the idea that many scientists disagreed on nearly every aspect of covid is maga fiction to me. Baaahhhh. I'll trust the doctors I actually see to interpret the scientists over trusting someone that bought a red hat to wear while listening to their podcasts, while over-posting on the DB, thank you.

However what has been clear, she is immune. There is a reason. Who to trust for finding the reasons better than immunologist? Would it have been more credible if her attempt at blood transfusion with the boy by smearing her blood on him had worked? Probably not.