The Dock's newsletter & pick'em (wk 5 GAMES are on post #160)

The Dock

Persona Non Grata
The first issue of my weekly newsletter, with pick'em and general commentary interspersed, spans posts #1-24.

The second issue of my weekly newsletter, etc starts at post #25 -- located here. It ends at post #63.

Rather than post across multiple threads, some of which span months, I’m thinking that serialized posting (akin to a weekly post) is the best way for me to generally post and my readers to generally read with regards to this football season. This will primarily be Central Ohio (with dashes of MSL, CCL, LCL… some OCC), but I’ll have some statewide sprinkles and general interest mixed in. This concept is largely inspired by Peter King’s Football Morning in America column… as well as a friend in the greater Dublin area.

There will be a Pick’Em in post 2 (and ideally subsequent posts to my initial post for the week) for you fiends.

Ideally, if enough readers are interested in doing Q & A (questions and answers… not Q’ing my A) I can also do a weekly mailbag feature where you can send me questions/comments via posting, DM, e-mail (if you have it) or ph# (if you have it) and I’ll post responses.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FAREWELL, AM820: Ryan Baker and Lee Cochran’s Friday evening Scoreboard Show -- famous for commentary, score finals and call-ins from victorious coaches – has moved to WBNS 97.1FM The Fan. Ryan confirmed with me that, with this move, AM820’s programming related to high school football has finally come to a close.

END OF AN ERA: After 25 years of running the once vaunted, now decried Delaware Wing-T offense, the Lancaster Gales will open their season tomorrow night in Violet Township sporting a new look. Details are generally sparse as to all the various differences within the new schemes, but rumors indicate it may be more pass-heavy. It may be a tough row to hoe out the gate, as the Panthers of an allegedly northward “Pickerington” are said to be quite impressive in local watering holes.

CHALLENGE OFFERED; CHALLENGE ACCEPTED: “What are all these teams that are undefeated have in common? Well [what] a lot of these teams have in common is they’re not playing very good people… a lot of these teams like to have pep rallies in September and October.” Fast forward from this week 8 quote of the 2021 season to tomorrow: within a mile of U.S. 36/S.R. 37 comes the heavily-anticipated matchup of an avian variety.

A MATTER OF MINUTES: Word has spread that part of the roster for ascending program KIPP Columbus, a newcomer to Division IV that boasts an impressive slate of Division I prospects, is facing a deeply unusual eligibility issue. A social media post that has gained traction in the last 24 hours indicates that there are seven starters – 12 players in total – that are ruled ineligible by the OHSAA until week 10 due to the school cutting period lengths “from 46 minutes to 35 last year due to COVID.” It’s unclear if this is indeed a specific infraction by OHSAA eligibility bylaws pertaining to scholarship, and not instead an Ohio Department of Education matter.

STRIKING OFF GAMES: A Columbus City League coach, who also teaches, has said that “Sunday [August 21st] is the vote for if we strike or accept the contract. [Columbus City Schools] has already put in writing on their website that [if] there is a strike then school will be online and all extracurricular activities including sports would be cancelled or rescheduled.”

DOCK TIP: Consider keeping 97.1 as your FM preset for your drive in to your game and for the ride home. And for my readers outside Central Ohio, if you have the TuneIn App, consider accessing WBNS-FM through TuneIn Radio App and Bluetooth/Auxiliary Cord it into your car. Nothing hits the spot better than listening to Skip Mosic’s award-winning Tonight in High School Football program that provides a detailed look at the biggest games across the state and all sizes.

WHERE THE DOCK WILL BE: Thursday – the career of Allen Iverson, 1996-2008. Friday – “Well George, we knocked the bastard off.” Saturday – I’ll have to take preventative measures to resist the condition known as Argyria. I’ll give you a point toward your pick’em total if you can solve the riddle for where I’ll be at. If you can solve all three, you get three points… if you can solve only two, you get two points… if you can solve only one, you get one point.

Last edited:

Dock’s “Terrific Ten” Games, week one. Again, an extra point each for the riddle you can solve as to where I will be. See the butt of the above post for more details.

• Harvest Prep at Bloom-Carroll – “Dawgs vs Dawgs”
  • Olentangy Liberty at Pickerington Central “The two best stadiums in Central Ohio”
  • Hilliard Bradley at Olentangy Berlin “The Runts of the Litter Bowl”
  • Holy Name at Padua Franciscan “The Little Holy War, aka ‘The Fight for The Soul of Parma’”
  • Logan Elm at Zane Trace “The Battle of Route 159”
  • Dawson-Bryant at Berne Union ”Grove v. Grove”
  • Upper Arlington at Reynoldsburg “Too many times in recent memory”
  • Sheridan at Licking Valley “One of the best non-league series from 1995 to 2005.”
  • Princeton at Anderson “Hell is… driving on I-275.”
  • Tuscawaras Central Catholic at Fisher Catholic “The Big One.”

Rather than post across multiple threads, some of which span months, I’m thinking that serialized posting (akin to a weekly post) is the best way for me to generally post and my readers to generally read with regards to this football season. This will primarily be Central Ohio (with dashes of MSL, CCL, LCL… some OCC), but I’ll have some statewide sprinkles and general interest mixed in. This concept is largely inspired by Peter King’s Football Morning in America column… as well as a friend in the greater Dublin area.

There will be a Pick’Em in post 2 (and ideally subsequent posts to my initial post for the week) for you fiends.

Ideally, if enough readers are interested in doing Q & A (questions and answers… not Q’ing my A) I can also do a weekly mailbag feature where you can send me questions/comments via posting, DM, e-mail (if you have it) or ph# (if you have it) and I’ll post responses.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

FAREWELL, AM820: Ryan Baker and Lee Cochran’s Friday evening Scoreboard Show -- famous for commentary, score finals and call-ins from victorious coaches – has moved to WBNS 97.1FM The Fan. Ryan confirmed with me that, with this move, AM820’s programming related to high school football has finally come to a close.

END OF AN ERA: After 25 years of running the once vaunted, now decried Delaware Wing-T offense, the Lancaster Gales will open their season tomorrow night in Violet Township sporting a new look. Details are generally sparse as to all the various differences within the new schemes, but rumors indicate it may be more pass-heavy. It may be a tough row to hoe out the gate, as the Panthers of an allegedly northward “Pickerington” are said to be quite impressive in local watering holes.

CHALLENGE OFFERED; CHALLENGE ACCEPTED: “What are all these teams that are undefeated have in common? Well [what] a lot of these teams have in common is they’re not playing very good people… a lot of these teams like to have pep rallies in September and October.” Fast forward from this week 8 quote of the 2021 season to tomorrow: within a mile of U.S. 36/S.R. 37 comes the heavily-anticipated matchup of an avian variety.

A MATTER OF MINUTES: Word has spread that part of the roster for ascending program KIPP Columbus, a newcomer to Division IV that boasts an impressive slate of Division I prospects, is facing a deeply unusual eligibility issue. A social media post that has gained traction in the last 24 hours indicates that there are seven starters – 12 players in total – that are ruled ineligible by the OHSAA until week 10 due to the school cutting period lengths “from 46 minutes to 35 last year due to COVID.” It’s unclear if this is indeed a specific infraction by OHSAA eligibility bylaws pertaining to scholarship, and not instead an Ohio Department of Education matter.

STRIKING OFF GAMES: A Columbus City League coach, who also teaches, has said that “Sunday [August 21st] is the vote for if we strike or accept the contract. [Columbus City Schools] has already put in writing on their website that [if] there is a strike then school will be online and all extracurricular activities including sports would be cancelled or rescheduled.”

DOCK TIP: Consider keeping 97.1 as your FM preset for your drive in to your game and for the ride home. And for my readers outside Central Ohio, if you have the TuneIn App, consider accessing WBNS-FM through TuneIn Radio App and Bluetooth/Auxiliary Cord it into your car. Nothing hits the spot better than listening to Skip Mosic’s award-winning Tonight in High School Football program that provides a detailed look at the biggest games across the state and all sizes.

WHERE THE DOCK WILL BE: Thursday – the career of Allen Iverson, 1996-2008. Friday – “Well George, we knocked the bastard off.” Saturday – I’ll have to take preventative measures to resist the condition known as Argyria. I’ll give you a point toward your pick’em total if you can solve the riddle for where I’ll be at. If you can solve all three, you get three points… if you can solve only two, you get two points… if you can solve only one, you get one point.

Thanks for the info about the AM820 show moving, had not heard that. Makes a lot more sense.

• Bloom-Carroll
  • Pickerington Central
  • Olentangy Berlin
  • Holy Name
  • Logan Elm
  • Dawson-Bryant
  • Upper Arlington
  • Sheridan
  • Anderson “Hell
  • Fisher Catholic

GREAT read Dock…always been a fan of your post!!!
Thank you, friend! Went one week Yappi-free and, let’s just say… quitting cold turkey is tough. The question came to myself during lunch break “alright, how can I make this a more enjoyable place for someone?”

My picks:
* Bloom-Carroll
* Pickerington Central
* Hilliard Bradley
* Holy Name
* Logan Elm
* Dawson-Bryant
* Upper Arlington
* Licking Valley
* Anderson
* Fisher Catholic

Thanks for the info on the radio program that will be on 97.1 The Fan

Thanks for the info on the radio program that will be on 97.1 The Fan
The tradition of radio programming on high school football being passed down from generation over generation, today culminating in the move to 97.1 The Fan, is a net good.

While I’ll miss the novelty and, yes, the static that came on AM, I’m excited for this move. The Fan is one of the most popular stations in Central Ohio, and it weds perfectly a relationship of sports between the collegiate/pro levels and now community-based activities like HS football. I think it’ll drive interest in the area. It was also past due on a personal preference — it was becoming a bit, uh, awkward that the Scoreboard Show was getting some of the “commercials” aired on AM820 interspersed on the program.

Good Work The Dock. You will be at The FC Game.
Not sure about your 2 Best Stadiums. I don’t think either are Top Ten in Central Ohio.
Enjoy the Games.

Good Work The Dock. You will be at The FC Game.
I actually will not be at it! Nothing against my Irish — just need some fresh air to kick off this fall. I’ll circle back to catch them soon enough. There’s a couple guys I know I’ll enjoy watching play, again, tomorrow night and the visiting team has a fantastic band.
Not sure about your 2 Best Stadiums. I don’t think either are Top Ten in Central Ohio.
Enjoy the Games.
Hey, I’ll defend “The Ditch” at PC to the death!

Thank you, thank you.

So the answer to where I went tonight (Thursday): NBA superstar Allen Iverson played for the Philadelphia 76’ers and later had a brief stint with the Denver Nuggets. The school I went to tonight opened in 1976, and Colorado is the Centennial State.
4401663F-E199-468E-82BB-BAD7DC3F9ED3.jpeg

Centennial turned out to be an imperfect, yet very enjoyable place to break in my 2022 odyssey. It was a pretty chill place to watch a game. The venue and hosting was pretty simple, but, hey, some of the finest things these days come in the form of simplicity.

Grandview Heights whooped Centennial. The Stars’ o-line was decently big, but between a litany of bad snaps as well as weird splits there was nary a pocket to be had. Centennial’s numbers are bad, man, and it’s sad, man.

I think Grandview will have a “decent” year. They have some dudes, o-line has OK size and some respectable athletes. It’s too early to tell if the Bobcats can make a dent in the Division VI, Region 23 picture — Centennial was pretty dysfunctional offensively in the first half and after the first couple possessions GH was set up with great field position.

It cost $5 to get in. Hooray! Made sure to round out the trip with a stop at Kenny Road Market (better known as BEER ZONE) on the way home. Was also good to talk to some GH people, City League grads whose kids played for GH in their heyday of the mid-early 2010’s. I’m often guilty of putting communities into “boxes” at times, so it was cool to see some blue collar streak coming out of people who knew Grandview Yard before it became Market District. There was also a double rainbow tonight!

F54CD679-ABA8-4043-A07E-6084F55477C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you.

So the answer to where I went tonight (Thursday): NBA superstar Allen Iverson played for the Philadelphia 76’ers and later had a brief stint with the Denver Nuggets. The school I went to tonight opened in 1976, and Colorado is the Centennial State.
View attachment 32792

Centennial turned out to be an imperfect, yet very enjoyable place to break in my 2022 odyssey. It was a pretty chill place to watch a game. The venue and hosting was pretty simple, but, hey, some of the finest things these days come in the form of simplicity.

Grandview Heights whooped Centennial. The Stars’ o-line was decently big, but between a litany of bad snaps as well as weird splits there was nary a pocket to be had. Centennial’s numbers are bad, man, and it’s sad, man.

I think Grandview will have a “decent” year. They have some dudes, o-line has OK size and some respectable athletes. It’s too early to tell if the Bobcats can make a dent in the Division VI, Region 23 picture — Centennial was pretty dysfunctional offensively in the first half and after the first couple possessions GH was set up with great field position.

It cost $5 to get in. Hooray! Made sure to round out the trip with a stop at Kenny Road Market (better known as BEER ZONE) on the way home. Was also good to talk to some GH people, City League grads whose kids played for GH in their heyday of the mid-early 2010’s. I’m often guilty of putting communities into “boxes” at times, so it was cool to see some blue collar streak coming out of people who knew Grandview Yard before it became Market District. There was also a double rainbow tonight!

View attachment 32793
So I'm guessing Centennial won't be much of a game for Watterson this season?

Here’s my picks for week 1. Hope a few of my picks are wrong, ‘cos I don’t wanna win my own contest.

Harvest Prep
Pickerington Central
Olentangy Berlin
Holy Name
Zane Trace
Dawson-Bryant
Upper Arlington
Licking Valley
Princeton
Tuscawaras Central Catholic

If I go below 8-2 on this, everyone in week one gets two extra points.

My predictions
Bloom-Carroll
Pick Central
Olentangy Berlin
Holy Name
Logan Elm
Dawson-Bryant
Licking Valley
Anderson
Upper Arlington
TCC (Trusting The Dock on this one)

Last edited:
Harvest Prep d. Bloom-Carroll, 20-7 (miss for Jokes, WJ, TC and danville)
Pickerington Central d. Olentangy Liberty, 42-0
Hilliard Bradley d. Olentangy Berlin, 31-28 (miss for Dock, Jokes, danville and OU)
Holy Name d. Padua Franciscan, 21-16
Zane Trace d. Logan Elm, 25-13 (miss for OU, Jokes, WJ, TC and danville)
Dawson-Bryant d. Berne Union, 43-6 (miss for OU, TC)
Upper Arlington d. Reynoldsburg, 42-14
Sheridan d. Licking Valley, 35-28 (miss for Dock, OUBobcat, JokesOnYou, WJ-, TC)
Princeton d. Anderson, 61-36 (miss for danville, Jokes, WJ, TC)
TCC d. Fisher Cath., 63-14 (miss for OU, danville, WJ, TC)

Week One

The Dock 8-2
OUBobcat_W.J. 6-4
danville96 5-5
JokesOnYou 5-5
WJ-OSU-STEELERS 5-5
TCSoup 4-6

Week 1 results are in the post above.

THE DEUCE IS LOOSE: After a fantastic “1K and 1K” (1000 yards passing, 1000 yards rushing) performance last year, Licking Heights senior quarterback “Deuce” Caldwell did not disappoint in his final home opener as the Hornets cruised through the Johnnies of Johnstown-Monroe, 42-21. Deuce ran for 3 TD’s through 115 yards on 9 carries in the first half, per the remarkable Steve Helwagen of Bucknuts.com.

PICKERINGTON, A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE (TONIGHT): Senator Jay Sharett’s Pickerington Central Tigers put a beatdown on the Powell residents of Olentangy Liberty, but nothing compared to the can of whoop-as that their rivals North put on the overmatched Gales of Lancaster. How do the children of the State Route 204 corridor feel about the Auditor boosting up their parents’ home valuations from the comfort of her county-seat office? “53-0.”

HARD TIMES FOR FAIRFIELD COUNTY: Beatdown, beatdown, beatdown, beatdown, beatdown, never in a position to win, heartbreak. Amanda gets bludgeoned in Plain City at the hands of Jonathan Alder; Fairfield Union gets bested by the best cousins from down Route 37 way in New Lexington; Berne Union loses the less-entertaining football version of Kramer v. Kramer as Coal Grove rolls into Sugar Grove and stings the Bernies; Millersport goes into the woods of Beallsville and saw a shed; my Irish received an un-Saintly reminder that their sister school in New Philadelphia is in the same Diocese, as TCC throttled FC 63-14; Bloom-Carroll steps up to the plate by scheduling Harvest Prep in a week one home opener and just can’t get anything gelling against the Warriors, 20-7 loss; Liberty Union loses a last-minute heartbreaker to Heath, 28-27. The only hope for “the county” to not go 0-fer in week 1 is Fairfield Christian’s journey to the Ohio River, tomorrow, as they take on Green.

SAFETY FIRST: In a battle of huge schools, Gahanna-Lincoln breaking a 0-0 gridlock with a safety proved to be the crucial difference as the Lions beat the Comets of Mason, 9-7.

SUNBURY, THE SITE OF A NEW CCL MEMBER?: lol this an admittedly dumb heading – I just wanted to wed the ironic comment from earlier in the week on here that Sunbury will have a Catholic high school together with the fact Hartley lost to Big Walnut.

WELL, THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY: I mentioned in a different post on this thread that the commercials on AM820 abutting the Scoreboard Show the last couple years were starting to become repetitive and a little awkward given the primary programming– well, sheeeeeee-ittttt, I fired up WBNS 97.1 ‘The Fan’ on my phone to tune into the program and after three ATLAS BUTLER commercials I hear a super-cringey commercial for the Lion’s Den. I don’t know if this commercial ended up going over the FM airwaves, or not (because the TuneIn radio app feed for 97.1, as well as the live-stream on the website, have ad blocks that were running while Lee and Ryan were talking scores on the FM airwaves as I turned my car off having just gotten home), but damnit. I kinda’ miss hearing the old commercials that recite everything I was supposed to have learned years back at 1803 Granville Pike.

WHERE DID THE DOCK GO TONIGHT?: So, no one took a stab at the riddle for tonight’s game (I acknowledge that of the three riddles, this was probably the hardest and most open to interpretation.) “Well George, we knocked the bastard off” is the famous quote by Edmund Hilary after he successfully climbed to the top of Mt. Everest and came back down – the census-designated place of Summit Station was the former OHSAA-designated location descriptor for Licking Heights.

WHAT DID THE DOCK THINK OF THE GAME: I had a bad feeling this was going to be a ‘clunker’ game to watch, but I’m a glutton for punishment. Just two diametrically different squads in almost every way imaginable. Licking Heights should not be playing Johnstown as a non-league game. Heights is probably as close as they ever have been to making a legitimate crack in the Division II playoffs (‘Sweet 16, regional semi-finals?’) and these are not your father’s Johnnies. Johnstown’s line on either side is not very big; Heights by contrast has an improved line that is big and physical. Heights was able to pack that box up with 8-9 guys, on a three-man front, and just ripped Johnstown to shreds for the most part. I won’t say that Johnstown looked lost – it just was brutal to watch. In tennis terms this would be akin to watching a ‘5.0’ playing a ‘3.0’ (e.g. a third-singles player for your typical OCC school.) Too many weaknesses and deficiencies by the lower-leveraged opponent that got exploited – set the tone for the game.

WHAT DID THE DOCK THINK OF THE BANDS: I thought they were great! Two different styles. Johnnies are known for their band even in the worst of seasons. Always a great rendition of “Long Train Runnin’” and it was delightful to see the performance of “Fat Bottomed Girls.” Heights’ band by contrast was more, uh, I think I’m using the right terminology here, show-and-composition based (again not an OMEA savant) – xylophones, drums, other percussion. Their music was more folksy and “river” themed, but they did a good job.

Last edited:
Saturday – I’ll have to take preventative measures to resist the condition known as Argyria.

Argyria is the poisoning of silver. Newark Catholic and the Ready Silver Knights were rivals of the former CCL-Silver. A game that I went to, tonight, that never got off the ground after 3.5 hours of weather delays.

I’m cold (and wet.) ? Time to start a fire in the fireplace!

Issue no.2.

THE “U” STARTS 1-0: Congratulations to the Utica football team, as they start out the season ‘1-0’ for the first time since 2012 with their final-minutes win against Centerburg.

DOING THE RIGHT THING: I’d like to take a minute to praise the folks at Newark Catholic for voluntarily issuing refunds for tickets purchased last Saturday. As some of you know, their game versus Bishop Ready was never played due to extremely unfortunate weather circumstances on Saturday night that pushed the nighttime kickoff into four (4) consecutive hours of weather delays. It was a pleasant surprise to see an e-mail from Hometown Ticketing / NC in my inbox stating that I got an unsolicited refund. They even refunded the processing fee! Good on you, NC.

EAST SIDE ECCLESIASTICAL CLASSICAL: Game two of the highly fun and contagiously spirited showdown between Hartley & Harvest Prep comes down Gender Road with right turn into Jack Johnson Field this coming Friday. Hartley with their pants pulled down on 20 seconds of TV coverage last week, the Warriors with a statement win.

CAN I GET A DAWG CHECK?: The Grove City Greyhounds are off to a rare 1-0 start, following their 35-28 overtime victory over Dublin Scioto.

EAGLE, EAGLE, EAGLE: In a fantastic reversal of recent fortunes, the Eagles of Grove City Christian (coming off a fresh 0-10 2021 campaign) were the only team in the MSL-Cardinal from last weekend to start off 1-0 and did so with a dominant win over Miami Valley Christian Academy.

CHOPPING WOOD: Congrats to KIPP Columbus for their blowout win over Mifflin, against all odds.

WHERE THE DOCK WILL BE: The worst traffic light in Fairfield County, between Columbus and the Ohio River.

Pick’Em Games for week '2' to be posted later today, around 8pm. (Possibly earlier!)

Week '2' games.

Bishop Hartley vs Harvest Prep

Clev. Benedictine vs Toledo Central Catholic

Coldwater vs Bellefontaine

Bishop Watterson vs Dublin Scioto

Pickerington Central vs Elder

Glenville vs Olentangy Liberty

Westerville Central vs Westerville South

Dublin Jerome vs Whitmer

Hilliard Darby vs Bradley

Hilliard Davidson vs Grove City

-- -- -- -- -- --

Same deal as last week, if I go below 8-2 this week everyone gets two extra points.

Standings from week one:
The Dock 8-2
OUBobcat_W.J. 6-4
danville96 5-5
JokesOnYou 5-5
WJ-OSU-STEELERS 5-5
TCSoup 4-6

Feel free to join in and play, even if you didn't cast picks previously. I can give a dubious yet honorable prize to whoever has the best picks among those who joined in late.

Ill join in on the fun why not
Hartley
Benedictine
Coldwater
Dublin Scioto
Elder
Olentangy Liberty
Westerville South
Dublin Jerome
Hilliard Darby
Hilliard Davidson

Ill join in on the fun why not