The Dock's newsletter & pick'em (wk 5 GAMES are on post #160)

JokesOnYou

Week 4 Picks
Pick Central
Olentangy
St.Edward
Berlin
Fairmont
Avon Lake
Archbishop McNicholas
West Holmes
St.John's Jesuit
Chardon

Last edited:

utsherman

Week 4 games

Pick Central
Olentangy
St. Edward
Olentangy Liberty
Fairmont
Avon
Archbishop McNicholas
West Holmes
Lima Sr
Chardon

LouHoltz

@The Dock is = to Joe Eitel and > then any ESPN numbskull any day of the week. Absolutely love this new newsletter and look forward to it each week. This is great for those of us that just love HS football (sports). Great reading each week!!!! THANK YOU

The Dock

@The Dock is = to Joe Eitel and > then any ESPN numbskull any day of the week. Absolutely love this new newsletter and look forward to it each week. This is great for those of us that just love HS football (sports). Great reading each week!!!! THANK YOU
Thanks for the kind words, friend. I’m not Joe Eitel, although I like to think I have his charisma. Joe’s a cool character to talk to. It’s nice, and enjoyable, that Joe and Drew have the confidence as well as the wisdom to periodically come out of their shells (we all have shells) and talk shop. I’ve always felt that, while it is great that us fans revere Joe and Drew for their incredible work, we also gotta recognize that they’re not drones, lol. The openness and self-descriptions of the Martin RPI gentleman is also pretty cool.

Always try to blend some cultural facets and common ground with the work. Not a lot to run with past a certain point if you stick strictly to pure football talk, because you can run into the pitfalls of microanalysis at best and armchair QB’ing at worst. That’s a subjective standard, yeah, but it all spins the way. I’m no saint in that regard. Definitely not. But it’s a game played by kids — an adage I’ve learned and seen first-hand come to fruition is “high school sports would be much easier if it was played by adults.” An ironic statement? There’s irony: but it sticks firmly in the minds of everyone at some point or another. Fine-pointing an aspect (personnel, play or player) as a focus of criticism is a straight-line to granularity. The emotion makes sense and is sympathetic, but you come to learn that you have to make space for more of the experience that you’re in.

Am I contradicting myself with that above statement in light of my “week ‘4’ newsletter” (where I lament the nature of conferences, with a specific emphasis on one that I think is downright ridiculous in a couple years?) Perhaps. I would argue in defense of such a claim “be that as it may: I’m speaking specifically on a pool of schools (Central Ohio large schools) that already has an immense pressure to be competitive (if not excellent) in every regard, where there is a high number of stakeholders; comparatively high amounts of capital (revenue, expenditures; resources of people and facilities) revolving in the operations of high school sports; all wrapped together in the backyard of a booming metropolitan area. It’s a terra incognita for many of us, including myself, and I want to continue to least promoting inthe discussion while enriching myself with knowledge and perspective along the way. Because I firmly believe there may be ramifications coming out down the line that drastically changes our HS sports landscape not just in Central Ohio, but possibly statewide.”

Last edited:

ElDuderino

Pick North

Olentangy

St Eds

Olentangy Liberty

Northmont

Avon

Archbishop McNicholas

West Holmes

St John’s Jesuit

Chardon

Last edited:

Burreaux

Pick Central

Olentangy

St. Edward

Olentangy Liberty

Fairmont

Avon Lake

Archbishop McNicholas

West Holmes

St John’s Jesuit

Chardon

George S. Patton

Pick North @ Pick Central

Olentangy @ Orange

Elder @ St. Edward

Olentangy Liberty @ Berlin

Fairmont
@ Northmont

Avon @ Avon Lake

Hartley @ Archbishop McNicholas

Mansfield @ West Holmes

Lima Sr
@ St John’s Jesuit

Chardon @ (Painesville) Riverside

nwwarrior09

Week 4 Games

Olentangy @ Orange

Elder @ St. Edward

Olentangy Liberty
@ Berlin

Fairmont @ Northmont

Avon @ Avon Lake

Mansfield @ West Holmes

Lima Sr @ St John’s Jesuit

Chardon
@ (Painesville) Riverside

DubPub88

Olentangy @ Orange

Elder @ St. Edward

Olentangy Liberty @ Berlin

Fairmont
@ Northmont

Avon @ Avon Lake

Mansfield @ West Holmes

Lima Sr
@ St John’s Jesuit

Chardon @ (Painesville) Riverside

danville96

Pick Central

Orange

St. Edward

Olentangy Liberty

Fairmont

Avon

Hartley

West Holmes

St John’s Jesuit

Chardon

ceebass13

Pick Central

Orange

St. Edward

Olentangy Liberty

Fairmont

Avon

West Holmes

Lima Sr

Chardon

The Dock

Week 4 scores...

Pick Central 14 - Pick North 7

Orange 47 - Olentangy 17

St. Edward 17 - Elder 14

Liberty 21 - Berlin 17

Northmont 28 - Fairmont 0

Avon 42 - Avon Lake 21

Hartley 40 - McNick 31

West Holmes 37 - Mansfield 7

St. John's Jesuit 48 - Lima Senior 13

Riverside 21 - Chardon 7 (down goes the Hilltoppers' 31-game winning streak)

There will be some movement in the top flight of the pick'em, standings wise. I either went 4-6 or 5-5, pending the outcome of the Ed's/Elder game. I'll take a day or two to tally everyone up. I know that there were a ton of common misses (Riverside beating Chardon; Northmont beating Fairmont; different picks between the two Olentangy games and obviously North vs Central.) Rough week. I'll be interested to see if anyone went above .500 on the week (I think @danville96 did off the top of my head and a general first glance.) Just got home...

Last edited:

Almost Prideful

Week 4 scores...

Pick Central 14 - Pick North 7

Orange 47 - Olentangy 17

Ed's/Elder play tomorrow

Liberty 21 - Berlin 17

Northmont 28 - Fairmont 0

Avon 42 - Avon Lake 21

Hartley 40 - McNick 31

West Holmes 37 - Mansfield 7

St. John's Jesuit 48 - Lima Senior 13

Riverside 21 - Chardon 7 (down goes the Hilltoppers' 31-game winning streak)

There will be some movement in the top flight of the pick'em, standings wise. I either went 4-6 or 5-5, pending the outcome of the Ed's/Elder game. I'll take a day or two to tally everyone up. I know that there were a ton of common misses (Riverside beating Chardon; Northmont beating Fairmont; different picks between the two Olentangy games and obviously North vs Central.) Rough week. I'll be interested to see if anyone went above .500 on the week (I think @danville96 did off the top of my head and a general first glance.) Just got home...
"Dang, I was gonna pick Riverside, but...."

The Dock

"Dang, I was gonna pick Riverside, but...."
Yeah. That one was a hard score for me to stomach. Was pretty confident Chardon's system was going to be a 180 in difference, preparation necessities and an ace-in-the-hole for the Toppers whereas Riverside was coming off a gut-wrenching loss to Mentor.

Gotta love it. Hats off to Riverside.

The Dock

Week '4' wrap-up

YOU COME AT THE KING, YOU BEST NOT MISS: "Ay yo, lesson here North." Alright, I got that out of my system. Drove down 270 and got the final ~90 seconds of this game on 1460AM. Sounded like a classic. Troy Lane, the fastest man in Ohio (look at his 100m time... look it up) got his fill for the Tigers! Great quote from Jay Sharrett on the call-in show (paraphrase) "Our young guys know its expected that they win every game they can for this senior class. When they buy in and get on that mission, they play outside of themselves and come together to make a team that is hard to beat." Reminds me, well, it strikes a tone akin to the powerful closing refrain of General McArthur's final speech to the cadets at West Point: "The Corps, and The Corps, and The Corps."

THEY FINALLY DID IT: Jerome beats Coffman, 16-7. I'll have more on this down-post (spoiler.)

ITS ABOUT TIME: Hartley goes down to Cincinnati and beats Archbishop McNicholas for the Hawks' first win.

THEY'LL BE ENJOYING MUTTON AND MEAD, TONIGHT: Congrats to the Barons of Buckeye Valley, as they pull off a shocking 'upset' over Bishop Ready in the most stunning of fashion -- per the postgame show. BV tied the game late in regulation; game went into two OT's. Ready scores, up 7. BV punches it in -- they [blank]'ed up the PAT snap/hold and ran it in to win, 36-35.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN, NOW OPEN AT FULTON FIELD: Both teams that call it home are 0-4, and are at grave risk of missing the playoffs.

THE "BATTLE OF U.S. 62" GOES TO...: the Grove City Greyhounds, for they beat the hell out of Central Crossing tonight 41-0.

A HARD RIDE HOME: Watterson loses a heartbreaker up at Tiffin Columbian, 40-37. The Eagles were down 26-0, were up 37-33 before the Tornadoes went up late in the 4Q. Watty had the ball inside TC's 20-yard line with :20 seconds to go, and were picked off in the endzone.

-- -- -- -- --

WHERE DID THE DOCK GO? I went to Hyland-Croy Road, and witnessed history.

JUST SAY WHAT GAME YOU WENT TO: Coffman at Jerome.

OH, HOW WAS IT: Oh, brother man and readers... it was a BLAST!

HOW SO?: So, I had no real idea if we were going to get in, or not. Jerome's Twitter all through the week kept suggesting that they anticipated a sell-out -- with a specific note that literally said "DO NOT WAIT UNTIL GAME DAY." Well, a-ha, this MF waited until Game Day to buy tickets. I scooped up the tickets, until a lightbulb went off in my head. "Oh, crap, the tickets are legit, yeah, but since they're doing ticketing through a third-party vendor they might not have been able to seal off the tickets." Is there a chance we might not make it in?

WELL?: So, realizing the stakes of the game (Jerome's had never beaten Coffman, duh) and never having been to Jerome from the south (I've been there coming from the north) I had no real idea what to expect with traffic and stuff. So, knowing that gates were open at 5:30, we got there at 5:50. Got in, seated at 5:55. Eh. Better safe than sorry.

DID YOU GET GOOD SEATS?: Yeah, man. Around the 40 yard line, south half of the field, two rows off the track. Plenty of leg room since we were one off the retaining posts (sat above the interior steps that come up from underneath the stands.) Great view, cool shade. And we were wise to get their early. Plenty of people poured in and it was SRO (standing room only) ~10 minutes before kickoff.

HOW WAS THE CROWD? Man, it was an unreal experience. The Pit two weeks ago is sacred ground and an experience in and of itself, so I shouldn't compare it to that. It was electric -- and by electric I mean "goofball throws a rock wrapped in copper wire at a high-voltage power line and hits it" electric for 48 minutes. UA was awesome to visit last week, but North couldn't have held a candle in attendance-and-energy within the stands like to what Coffman had on the other side of the field. It was everything I thought it would be. Pics below. Just an incredibly special game to see and be a spectator at. My guess is there may have been 4-4.5K (at least) there?

C2D7C17D-220E-47B6-A438-6DF07FCD4C7A.jpeg5A64CB8D-0816-43A6-9B9F-997BB0B82EE8.jpeg266C7BF0-AC88-423F-968B-615D300FAF4A.jpeg9FA59883-2C18-46D0-9F41-E911D7FA0241.jpeg

The Dock

Jerome’s AD, on Twitter, said it was 6897 in attendance.
We Ohioans are spoiled rotten with experiences like the one you had tonight. Looks like an amazing atmosphere. Full moon, can't beat it.
I like to think this is more meaningful to experience. My school (a D7) used to play home games exclusively on Saturday, but they went away from that 6-7 years ago and now only play once or twice on Saturday. Which, I get it, but I spent ~5 seasons of that and I finally came around (because of 2020 season, which I got to check all of our home games out) that I wasn’t interested in burning Fridays trying to watch them all the time.

It is hard internally at times to take the new approach I’ve had toward games. I’m bonded pretty well with a handful of parents who have kids playing for my school; they’re having a rough year. Tons of freshmen and sophomores playing, lot going both ways. It sucks big time on the one hand that I’m not there, because a) I absolutely would if they were on Saturdays, b) I’m not a fair weather fan (like, I watched them go 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, 4-6 from August to week 10 a handful of times) and even when the team isn’t doing too hot we’re still family in the stands, man. Fortunately for me, they don’t take it personally or as a sign of indifference. I get constant updates at the games every week from one of our dads, through the good/bad/ugly, there’s other dads I see at other events (usually weekly) and we get to talk about the games I went to. And even the other parents I know well respect what I do. It’s good to have that support, for real, because although it isn’t necessarily it is greatly and sincerely appreciated.

ElDuderino

Jerome’s AD, on Twitter, said it was 6897 in attendance.

I like to think this is more meaningful to experience. My school (a D7) used to play home games exclusively on Saturday, but they went away from that 6-7 years ago and now only play once or twice on Saturday. Which, I get it, but I spent ~5 seasons of that and I finally came around (because of 2020 season, which I got to check all of our home games out) that I wasn’t interested in burning Fridays trying to watch them all the time.

It is hard internally at times to take the new approach I’ve had toward games. I’m bonded pretty well with a handful of parents who have kids playing for my school; they’re having a rough year. Tons of freshmen and sophomores playing, lot going both ways. It sucks big time on the one hand that I’m not there, because a) I absolutely would if they were on Saturdays, b) I’m not a fair weather fan (like, I watched them go 1-9, 2-8, 3-7, 4-6 from August to week 10 a handful of times) and even when the team isn’t doing too hot we’re still family in the stands, man. Fortunately for me, they don’t take it personally or as a sign of indifference. I get constant updates at the games every week from one of our dads, through the good/bad/ugly, there’s other dads I see at other events (usually weekly) and we get to talk about the games I went to. And even the other parents I know well respect what I do. It’s good to have that support, for real, because although it isn’t necessarily it is greatly and sincerely appreciated.

I believe it, this looks like even more lined up deep around the endzone fences than were at Berlin/Orange a couple weeks ago and that game did a 29k gate (at 7$ and 5$ per, you do the math), so that 7k number is completely believable. Looks like a blast.

The Dock

Week '4' results

8-2 : Danville96

7-3 ; Almost Prideful, trimblefootball, ceebass13

6-4; Me, LCL, ElDuderino, Big GLHS

5-5; utsherman, watty1991, Burreaux, nwwarrior09

4-6; JokesOnYou, PerceptiveDeception

3-7; WJ-OSU-Steelers, bballfan48

2-8; ayCC!; George S. Patton; DubPub88

1-9; Jteegardner

- - - - - - - - -

Standings through week '4'

Flight White (picked all weeks so far)

1. danville96: 21-11 (+8-2) = 29-13 +2-0 = 31-13

t2. Dock Rivers: 21-11 (+6-4) = 27-15 +0-2 = 27-17
t2. JokesOnYou: 21-11 (+4-6) = 25-17 +2-0 = 27-17

4. WJ-OSU-Steelers: 20-12 (+3-7) = 23-19 +2-0 = 25-19

Flight Green (picked all but one week, so far)

1. ElDuderino: 13-7 (+6-4) = 19-11

2. watty1991: 13-7 (+5-5) = 18-12

3. LCL 11-9 (+6-4) = 17-13

t4. ceebass13 9-11 (+7-3) = 16-14
t4. Big GLHS 10-10 (+6-4) = 16-14
t4. Burreaux 11-9 (+5-5) = 16-14

7. DubPub88 12-8 (+2-8) = 14-16
8. bballfan48 10-10 (+3-7) = 13-17

9. ayCC! 9-11 (+2-8) = 11-19

Flight Black (picked only two weeks so far)

1. trimblefootball 4-6 (+7-3) = 11-9
2. Almost Prideful 3-7 (+7-3) = 10-10

t3. utsherman 4-6 (+5-5) = 9-11
t3. PerceptiveDeception 5-5 (+4-6) = 9-11

5. George S. Patton 4-6 (+2-8) = 6-14

Flight Silver (picked only one week so far)

1. OUBobcat_W.J. 6-4
2. nwwarrior09 5-5
3. TCSoup 4-6
4. Jteegardner 1-9

I know I said I either went 4-6 or 5-5, but I mis-counted one. Here’s a link to my picks for posterity.

Congrats to @danville96 for taking a commanding lead in the top flight. A special shoutout to @ElDuderino and @trimblefootball for being the only two to get Northmont over Fairmont right. Most improved player on the week was @Almost Prideful (going from 3-7 in his first week, to turning 7-3 in his second.)

For the second week in a row, we all had a common miss: Riverside beating Chardon.