The Covid Spread Explained...1 outbreak causing 45 others to lose games...

You didn't know the virus doesn't spread through mass gatherings with the intent of peaceful protesting to bring attention to the systemic racism in America and specifically our law enforcement organizations? It only spreads through mass gatherings that have the intent of people having fun. Sporting events, concerts, movies, grad parties, etc.

It's a smart virus like that.

You're a moron. You've proven it over and over here.

There's a huge increase in positives in the younger population going on right now. Younger, as in.....the ones that were protesting.

Are you going to tell all the incoming seniors just wait till next year? these kids have been waiting their for their turns to be the seniors on the team, their last chance to win that race or beat their school rival. Why take this away when they can still catch this by any chance encounter they might have with somebody.
This is such a pathetic argument on the “appeal to emotion.” It’s possible for what you’re describing to: be a shame (I agree) but also the correct course of action.

You're a moron. You've proven it over and over here.

There's a huge increase in positives in the younger population going on right now. Younger, as in.....the ones that were protesting.
Except the science isn’t saying it’s from the protests... it’s from the bars, the beaches, large gatherings of people without masks. It’s going to tourist destinations like Florida and South Carolina, not protests.

Why is no one talking about travel softball or baseball. One would think there would be huge spikes with those sports the way they’re being handled. They have been given guidelines, but let’s be honest, every game I’ve been to or when I talk to others about them have not been socially distanced. These kids are huddled close together yelling in dugouts the entire time. So are their parents. You would think you’d start to see spikes there.
There is no doubt in my mind travel softball or baseball has some contribution to the spread of coronavirus. What the effect is, hard to tell. We’re at least three, or four, weeks now into travel softball. A team plays >5 games in Findlay the first weekend, >5 games in Bowling Green the next weekend, and then >5 games in Canton the next weekend. Vast majority of these participants are invariably staying in hotels, and their teams represent wide swaths of geography.

Carriers of this virus are almost assuredly at these events. It’s beyond naïve to think otherwise. In the absence of contact tracing, better data and more inspection on the guidelines and how it affects transmission, we don’t have the science to inform us if travel ball is indeed safe or good for public health right now.

Except the science isn’t saying it’s from the protests... it’s from the bars, the beaches, large gatherings of people without masks. It’s going to tourist destinations like Florida and South Carolina, not protests.
How does the "science" prove this? Were there not any protests in the tourist areas....and bars, etc?

How does the "science" prove this? Were there not any protests in the tourist areas....and bars, etc?
Ask the Florida Department of Public Health about the science they’re relying on:

In Florida, Governor Ron DeSantis has repeatedly dismissed the protests as a source for the state’s increase in community spread.

“I certainly have not had my Department of Health substantiate the protests are driving the figures with the younger people,” said DeSantis.

Florida has ramped up contact tracing to figure out where people who tested positive have been spending their time. The state’s health experts are finding a pattern that leads not to outdoor protests, but to indoor establishments where young adults socialize and drink.

Seminole County Medical Director Todd Husty described the pattern in a recent news conference.

“The sick individuals have all stated they’ve been around a pub, a bar, an event,” he said.

The state says the Knights Pub in the Orlando area is one example. State agents say it violated social distancing orders. More than 40 customers and staff tested positive before the state suspended its alcohol license.

“You pack huge numbers of people indoors that are very close, you're creating an environment that you're going to see more spread,” Governor DeSantis said.

Also,https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408

Ask the Florida Department of Public Health about the science they’re relying on:

Also,https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408

There is no way the protests did not contribute to rising numbers. Come on.

There is no way the protests did not contribute to rising numbers. Come on.
I'm sure Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis took no pleasure in saying that, indeed, the re-opening of bars contributed to spikes of COVID-19 and not protests. Alas...

I'm sure Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis took no pleasure in saying that, indeed, the re-opening of bars contributed to spikes of COVID-19 and not protests. Alas...
C'mon. You really think any politician is going to say the protests and riots were part of the reason in the spikes in infections?

C'mon. You really think any politician is going to say the protests and riots were part of the reason in the spikes in infections?
I think any governor who “shuts down” their state, reopens, and is staring down potentially another “shut down” (at least partial) because the pandemic flared up in their eyes is going to have a whole lot of answering to do. Is it right or wrong? I’m not sure.

Blaming the protests and riots might actually be the more politically expedient path than saying “it’s the bars, indoor events [etc].” They’re both red states, Republican governors with deeply entrenched conservative populations. So why they aren’t saying it’s the protests, it’s hard to say. Probably because there’s virtually nothing published to suggests it is the protests. And evidently, no one in their corner at their respective state departments of health that would back up the idea its the protests causing the surge?

I think any governor who “shuts down” their state, reopens, and is staring down potentially another “shut down” (at least partial) because the pandemic flared up in their eyes is going to have a whole lot of answering to do. Is it right or wrong? I’m not sure.

Blaming the protests and riots might actually be the more politically expedient path than saying “it’s the bars, indoor events [etc].” They’re both red states, Republican governors with deeply entrenched conservative populations. So why they aren’t saying it’s the protests, it’s hard to say. Probably because there’s virtually nothing published to suggests it is the protests. And evidently, no one in their corner at their respective state departments of health that would back up the idea its the protests causing the surge?
They can't say anything negative about the protests. Doesn't matter what color their state is.

every bar ive been too has been coherent to the rules.

jtk
()

Are you going to tell all the incoming seniors just wait till next year? these kids have been waiting their for their turns to be the seniors on the team, their last chance to win that race or beat their school rival. Why take this away when they can still catch this by any chance encounter they might have with somebody.
The news continues to show a major spike in Covid cases and hospitalizations from places that ended lockdowns too early. This is a serious health crisis. So if a kid is disappointed that their senior year didn't happen they have my empathy, but life is full of disappointment. Learning how to deal with disappointment and failure is a critical life skill.

As for your chance encounter comment the whole idea is to limit the spread as much as possible. You cannot eliminate the spread but communities can take proactive steps to significantly reduce the chance of spread. There were 85 college students infected at a bar in Michigan. The same thing will happen if you play football.

There is no doubt in my mind travel softball or baseball has some contribution to the spread of coronavirus. What the effect is, hard to tell. We’re at least three, or four, weeks now into travel softball. A team plays >5 games in Findlay the first weekend, >5 games in Bowling Green the next weekend, and then >5 games in Canton the next weekend. Vast majority of these participants are invariably staying in hotels, and their teams represent wide swaths of geography.

Carriers of this virus are almost assuredly at these events. It’s beyond naïve to think otherwise. In the absence of contact tracing, better data and more inspection on the guidelines and how it affects transmission, we don’t have the science to inform us if travel ball is indeed safe or good for public health right now.
This point came up yesterday during "garage summit" (adult beverages at a distance). Buddy had umped multiple travel ball the last few weeks as school administrator talked about how they're really unsure about fall sports. The quote that hit home - "that travel coach doesn't have any responsibility outside of the lines. If someone dies from the virus they contracted watching his team it's sad, but that's it. If someone dies because they got the virus at one of our football/volleyball games, we could be held liable."

But when the hospitals are being paid extra money to call something COVID. They have to mark COVID, even without testing. This is to make up for when the voluntary operations were down. So I don’t blame our hospitals. They need the money. It’s the politicians fault for incentivizing COVID. This flawed process is still continuing even after the voluntary operations were resumed. Also, the CDC has come out and said that up to 50% of our positives could be false. That’s astronomical! So I don’t believe these numbers for a second.

But when the hospitals are being paid extra money to call something COVID. They have to mark COVID, even without testing. This is to make up for when the voluntary operations were down. So I don’t blame our hospitals. They need the money. It’s the politicians fault for incentivizing COVID. This flawed process is still continuing even after the voluntary operations were resumed. Also, the CDC has come out and said that up to 50% of our positives could be false. That’s astronomical! So I don’t believe these numbers for a second.
Have you heard the number they are paid? I have heard $35,000 for each one

This point came up yesterday during "garage summit" (adult beverages at a distance). Buddy had umped multiple travel ball the last few weeks as school administrator talked about how they're really unsure about fall sports. The quote that hit home - "that travel coach doesn't have any responsibility outside of the lines. If someone dies from the virus they contracted watching his team it's sad, but that's it. If someone dies because they got the virus at one of our football/volleyball games, we could be held liable."

That's the big reason right there. It is not only the players they are worried about it is the bystanders as well. If you had a team in school for a few days and they find out someone from the school they played last Friday is positive, the admins have put the whole student body at risk. Even if no one tests positive from the team, other parents are going to be mad. One positive on a team will be blamed for any kid that gets it at that school for the next two weeks no matter how and where they might have contracted it.

Have you heard the number they are paid? I have heard $35,000 for each one

“So, hospitals get an extra $13,000 if they diagnose a death as COVID-19,” a widely shared meme on Facebook claimed. “And an additional $39,000 if they use a ventilator!” One post of the meme, shared by hundreds, was captioned: “And then we wonder why the numbers of deaths are embellished…”

An analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation looked at average Medicare payments for hospital admissions for the existing diagnosis-related groups and noted that the “average Medicare payment for respiratory infections and inflammations with major comorbidities or complications in 2017 … was $13,297. For more severe hospitalizations, we use the average Medicare payment for a respiratory system diagnosis with ventilator support for greater than 96 hours, which was $40,218.”

yeah.. the spread is awful. We should be very careful and think not only about ourselves but also about people around us. Obviously there are those who think that masks are useless and they would rather not wear them at all. But they are wrong.. Masks do not have the purpose to secure you, they are made to secure everyone around you in case you already have the virus but do not know about it. I always wear my KN95 mask whenever I'm outside of my house!

Last edited:
To expound on the OP - say teams are in the conference/league play part of their schedule. Team A has a player test positive. So the Team B they just played is shut down and likely the Team C that they the week before. So at least 5-6 teams in the league are impacted for the next couple weeks. Season's over.