The Covid Spread Explained...1 outbreak causing 45 others to lose games...

Yes, you should take reasonable precautions to protect yourself from the long list of things that could happen to you. Key word is reasonable. I don't think remote learning or even blended learning is reasonable. Same with sports. This group impacted by those precautions are in the lowest risk groups.

What if kids lose 20 players to various injuries and "normal" illnesses. What do teams do then? This is no different. You play unless you are unable to field a team.

Vaccine might be ready in the spring. Might. Or....might not. Life needs to move on. This whole thing has been a complete overreaction.

Living in NYC during peak-COVID was more dangerous than being a soldier in Afghanistan or Iraq during the most brutal years of fighting there. But please tell me again how "overreaction" is the problem.

Living in NYC during peak-COVID was more dangerous than being a soldier in Afghanistan or Iraq during the most brutal years of fighting there. But please tell me again how "overreaction" is the problem.
Well, NYC was a complete mess due to the state and local leadership. They were putting sick people in with those most vulnerable.

But all the lockdowns and restrictions were overreactions. Yes, that is hindsight. But to still be in favor of renewed restrictions is an overreaction knowing what we do now and who is most at risk.

Yes, you should take reasonable precautions to protect yourself from the long list of things that could happen to you. Key word is reasonable. I don't think remote learning or even blended learning is reasonable. Same with sports. This group impacted by those precautions are in the lowest risk groups.

What if kids lose 20 players to various injuries and "normal" illnesses. What do teams do then? This is no different. You play unless you are unable to field a team.

Vaccine might be ready in the spring. Might. Or....might not. Life needs to move on. This whole thing has been a complete overreaction.
Your comment about this being an overreaction depends upon what criteria you use in making that statement. I am not sure about your criteria but lets use that of others who have downplayed this virus.

One of the most often quoted criteria is "This is not as deadly as the flu....or More people die of the flu every year" That was repeated quite often by those downplaying the Coronavirus

Last year the CDC estimated somewhere between 29,000-59,000 died of the flu. Let's split the difference and use 44,000.

Currently an estimated 124,000 people have died of the Coronavirus. So currently that is almost 3x as many people as died from the flu and that was after aggressive lockdown in much of the country for 2-3 months. What would that figure have been without those actions? And to the best of my knowledge "Coronavirus season" isn't over yet, at least not until we find a vaccine.

The United States makes up about 4.5% of the worlds population yet we have 25.7% of the cases and death.

In my book this has been pretty darn serious and if we did not take the steps we did as a country I would imagine it wouldn't be a stretch to say that we would have had 2 to 3 times as many deaths. So No I don't think we overreacted

Your comment about this being an overreaction depends upon what criteria you use in making that statement. I am not sure about your criteria but lets use that of others who have downplayed this virus.

One of the most often quoted criteria is "This is not as deadly as the flu....or More people die of the flu every year" That was repeated quite often by those downplaying the Coronavirus

Last year the CDC estimated somewhere between 29,000-59,000 died of the flu. Let's split the difference and use 44,000.

Currently an estimated 124,000 people have died of the Coronavirus. So currently that is almost 3x as many people as died from the flu and that was after aggressive lockdown in much of the country for 2-3 months. What would that figure have been without those actions? And to the best of my knowledge "Coronavirus season" isn't over yet, at least not until we find a vaccine.

The United States makes up about 4.5% of the worlds population yet we have 25.7% of the cases and death.

In my book this has been pretty darn serious and if we did not take the steps we did as a country I would imagine it wouldn't be a stretch to say that we would have had 2 to 3 times as many deaths. So No I don't think we overreacted
Duly noted.

If you really think anyone is going to risk the lives of senior citizens for high school football you're out of your mind. If this outbreak continues there will be no season, simple as that. And if you think there's something wrong with that you need to reevaluate your priorities in life

If you really think anyone is going to risk the lives of senior citizens for high school football you're out of your mind. If this outbreak continues there will be no season, simple as that. And if you think there's something wrong with that you need to reevaluate your priorities in life
Are senior citizens playing football?

Well, NYC was a complete mess due to the state and local leadership. They were putting sick people in with those most vulnerable.

But all the lockdowns and restrictions were overreactions. Yes, that is hindsight. But to still be in favor of renewed restrictions is an overreaction knowing what we do now and who is most at risk.

I think the Navajo and the indigenous peoples of the Americas would disagree with restrictions being an overreaction. Coronavirus has been the worst event to occur to indigenous populations since the arrival of the Spanish.

More inclusively, the entire state of Arizona as well as Texas, and other southern and southwestern states are seeing the highest rates of infection in the world. It gets any worse and AZ will definitely shutdown football for the fall, and I think TX will have to do the same if they are unable to curve their infection rate. We locked down and still over 100K died, we’re looking at at least a million plus dead in USA without the lockdowns. This isn’t a second wave we’re about to hit, we’re still in the first wave because people refused to lockdown. On Tuesday there were 34,720 new cases of COVID-19 in just 3 states: CA,TX, and FL. These all happen to be football hotbed states like OH; I am really thinking seasons will be moved to Spring or will start, a ton of people will get sick, and then it will be postpo

Lockdown

Are senior citizens playing football?
Kids live with seniors, kids live with parents who work with seniors, kids have jobs where they come in contact with seniors. And newsflash, more than just seniors die from this virus or have life changing symptoms from it. There is no way to make this a closed loop, there's no way people won't be adversely affected by this if the surge continues and for some reason a season would still be played. We had a chance to get through this and not lose football but people didn't take it seriously and ignored the advice of medical experts from prestigious organizations and universities in favor of taking advice from some dumbasses on facebook and now the season hangs in the balance because of it

Kids live with seniors, kids live with parents who work with seniors, kids have jobs where they come in contact with seniors. And newsflash, more than just seniors die from this virus or have life changing symptoms from it. There is no way to make this a closed loop, there's no way people won't be adversely affected by this if the surge continues and for some reason a season would still be played. We had a chance to get through this and not lose football but people didn't take it seriously and ignored the advice of medical experts from prestigious organizations and universities in favor of taking advice from some dumbasses on facebook and now the season hangs in the balance because of it
Those experts that said in Ohio we would have 10,000 new cases a day with mitigation? Those experts? It those that said we'd have a million deaths in the country with mitigation? Or just the experts that downplayed it early only to reverse course later? How about the experts that can't make their minds up if masks are beneficial or not?

Or just the experts you want to listen to?

The experts have been more wrong than right on this but you advocate listening to them more?

Or have someone Zoom them so they can see too. It's not that big of a deal really. Friday Night Footbal!~

Those experts that said in Ohio we would have 10,000 new cases a day with mitigation? Those experts? It those that said we'd have a million deaths in the country with mitigation? Or just the experts that downplayed it early only to reverse course later? How about the experts that can't make their minds up if masks are beneficial or not?

Or just the experts you want to listen to?

The experts have been more wrong than right on this but you advocate listening to them more?

You're a lost cause man, keep taking medical advice from memes and rambling youtube videos and be sure to stay away from 5g at all costs, I hear it's extra bad for you

You're a lost cause man, keep taking medical advice from memes and rambling youtube videos and be sure to stay away from 5g at all costs, I hear it's extra bad for you
No memes. No YouTube. Typing on 5g right now.

Anything else I can help you with today?

I think more schools will look at how to live stream the games.
I don't know about you, but those so called "live streams" are hit and miss with me. Shoot, I even have problems sometimes watching Thursday Night HS Football on the dayton live site they have. Not sure if the problems were on my side (WiFi) or if they were having trouble streaming.

I don't know about you, but those so called "live streams" are hit and miss with me. Shoot, I even have problems sometimes watching Thursday Night HS Football on the dayton live site they have. Not sure if the problems were on my side (WiFi) or if they were having trouble streaming.
I honestly have never tried. I bet most schools don't have good wifi/internet out at their stadiums and that could be the problem. Maybe they will record and put on YouTube for later viewing. Heck, maybe they could even post the first half at half-time and then the second half at the end if the game. This way those at home don't have to wait until 10 to watch the recorded version.

I think streams will become a lot more popular, and the better off schools will have better off stream quality. Or maybe a school has a teacher or student that's a tech guru and they run a really quality product, but the quality (and cost to access said stream) around the state will probably differ wildly

Funny how the virus was a moot point during the riots and now it’s back at the top of the news. They just hop from one catastrophe to another to play an agenda that is bogus. IMHO.

Funny how the virus was a moot point during the riots and now it’s back at the top of the news. They just hop from one catastrophe to another to play an agenda that is bogus. IMHO.
You didn't know the virus doesn't spread through mass gatherings with the intent of peaceful protesting to bring attention to the systemic racism in America and specifically our law enforcement organizations? It only spreads through mass gatherings that have the intent of people having fun. Sporting events, concerts, movies, grad parties, etc.

It's a smart virus like that.

Those same kids that live with senior citizens are leaving the house for a multitude of reasons right now, so are their parent, so are anyone else who comes in contact with them. Unless people never leave their homes again, these people are going to most likely get some sort of exposure. That is the thing that cracks me up about this whole situation. The doom and gloomers act like living in a hermetically sealed bubble is possible. Its not. Cancelling life for those that are extremely healthy for those that aren't just isn't sensible. Protecting those that are vulnerable is. If you are a high school football player and live with a vulnerable elderly person then maybe you shouldn't play or go to school, but why should the 40 other kids on the team not if their risks are miniscule?

Why is no one talking about travel softball or baseball. One would think there would be huge spikes with those sports the way they’re being handled. They have been given guidelines, but let’s be honest, every game I’ve been to or when I talk to others about them have not been socially distanced. These kids are huddled close together yelling in dugouts the entire time. So are their parents. You would think you’d start to see spikes there.

Certainly a mixed message being sent by media (and not just) but I trust what my local doctors and nurses say they have experienced. I don't see them part of this great "agenda." I'll take my precautions and let others do what they will without comment as long as none are made towards me.

Kudos to whoever comes up with an even remotely successful solution to the education problem. The most important part of school had always been the socialization aspects, not the vulcan mind training. Parents, those still working need that place for their kids to go and society needs it in order to be a society, doesn't it?

I agree with those that do not think distance or mixed learning has a chance, not in the short term. The infrastructure and teacher training simply will take years to obtain competancy. People will SAY it's working to keep the money rolling in but for most kids? I can only be hopeful.

There are things in my power to limit my risk of getting cancer. Don't smoke, watch my weight, avoid environmental hazards as much as possible. And yet genetics, something I cannot control, may very well lead to a cancer diagnosis (big family history of the disease). So should I not take the steps within my control to reduce my risk?

The other issue as it relates to sports is the inability to compete if multiple players test positive. What if schools decide each Wednesay they will test the athletes. Lets say 20 kids test positive and your roster is 45 kids, do you still play? Does that risk the well being of the kids playing?

This is not a simple problem. Some people have said "Oh they are kids, they will get sick and bounce back quickly"

Athletics, band, theater are extra curricular activities and ones that add to the experience of high school, but the key word is "extra". It sounds as if a vaccine may be read by next spring. If so why not wait?
Are you going to tell all the incoming seniors just wait till next year? these kids have been waiting their for their turns to be the seniors on the team, their last chance to win that race or beat their school rival. Why take this away when they can still catch this by any chance encounter they might have with somebody.

Are you going to tell all the incoming seniors just wait till next year? these kids have been waiting their for their turns to be the seniors on the team, their last chance to win that race or beat their school rival. Why take this away when they can still catch this by any chance encounter they might have with somebody.

The way I look at it is that is exactly what the science deniers and those who shun guidelines are telling them. Because they don't want to be inconvenienced. Or maybe it makes them feel more like their orange goddess idk but if everyone was doing what they should, like we were, we would be much closer to opening everything and staying open, instead of spiking and scaling back.

"like we were". Does that include letting your kids have sleepovers and going to sleepovers during that period? Cause I don't remember any CDC guidelines saying that is an acceptable exception to social distancing.

Why is no one talking about travel softball or baseball. One would think there would be huge spikes with those sports the way they’re being handled. They have been given guidelines, but let’s be honest, every game I’ve been to or when I talk to others about them have not been socially distanced. These kids are huddled close together yelling in dugouts the entire time. So are their parents. You would think you’d start to see spikes there.

Uhhh, big dude, our case numbers and hospitalizations are up 300% from 2 weeks ago on a consistent basis, the age range has shifted to be majority of middle aged people. Not sure what to tell you.