The case for keeping Kevin Love

OhioBobcatFan06

Some people seem pretty passionate about this discussion... I'm not there yet... I'll be enjoying this championship for awhile.

Beyond Kevin Love's newfound elite defensive ability (https://twitter.com/SInow/status/744770251217317888) I think that Love is a good fit for the Cavs. Not necessarily as a starter... As Lebron continues to age, I think we are going to give him get increasingly large amounts of rest. I think Love is a great player, but his fit in a lineup with Kyrie and Lebron is iffy. Kyrie and Love both are much better offensively than defensively. I like 2/3 of (Kyrie/LBJ/Love) on the court together at same time. Lebron sits, Love plays and picks up scoring slack.

If we are going to give Lebron more rest, which I think is smart/likely, then Love could play a crucial role in giving us a scoring presence on the 2nd unit.

With the length of his contract and the increase in the salary cap, Love's deal is going to start looking a lot better.

Yet you started a thread specifically for this discussion? Sounds like a case of cognitive dissonance.

ironic post is ironic, huh ?

:laugh: at this. If someone starts another similar thread, just to rattle OBCDEFG, I will post there instead. Maybe hoffy will do it, and I will support the smarter Bobcat.

Some people seem pretty passionate about this discussion... I'm not there yet... I'll be enjoying this championship for awhile.

Beyond Kevin Love's newfound elite defensive ability (https://twitter.com/SInow/status/744770251217317888) I think that Love is a good fit for the Cavs. Not necessarily as a starter... As Lebron continues to age, I think we are going to give him get increasingly large amounts of rest. I think Love is a great player, but his fit in a lineup with Kyrie and Lebron is iffy. Kyrie and Love both are much better offensively than defensively. I like 2/3 of (Kyrie/LBJ/Love) on the court together at same time. Lebron sits, Love plays and picks up scoring slack.

If we are going to give Lebron more rest, which I think is smart/likely, then Love could play a crucial role in giving us a scoring presence on the 2nd unit.

Kevin Love is not going to be some 2nd unit captain. He may get some run with them but he'll get the majority of his minutes with the starters.

I hope the Cavs keep Kevin Love. May not be one of the premier players in the league but does a great job of rebounding and stretching the defense.

Love is nothing more than a Ryan Anderson at this point. Trade him for some picks and then bring in some young talent. Then, go get a Ryan Anderson type of player.

Nothing against Love, I like him, but he's overpaid.

You might laugh but they are very similar. Look at their stats. Also, Ryan Anderson is not that bad of a player. He does make 11 million dollars less than Love.

The problem with Love is perception ... being part of the "big 3" ... if he was perceived like Thompson or Smith, as a role player, no one would complain. To me that is what he is, a very good role player and as long as he is not causing trouble, I am happy with him and would not trade him unless someone (Boston) blows me away with a trade offer.

Right, and he's only playing as a role player because Kyrie and LeBron are both better than him. He is very capable of averaging 20+ PPG.

It's the defensive limitations that concern me.

As I said earlier in a different thread, he's awesome against 25 or so other teams.

GSW, OKC, SanAn, Clippers......not so much... :dang:

It's the defensive limitations that concern me.

As I said earlier in a different thread, he's awesome against 25 or so other teams.

GSW, OKC, SanAn, Clippers......not so much... :dang:

I'll take that. Great teams are great teams for anyone to go against. Made bums out of a couple GS players too. No such thing as a bum v. 25 teams, but great against the best, lol. No doubt this series was a tough match-up. Got concussed. First major playoff experience. But good character guy who will learn from it and improve.

Btw, agreed on on-ball defense in general but that was a VERY good close-out on Curry at the end, and defensive rebounding very good period.

Yet you started a thread specifically for this discussion? Sounds like a case of cognitive dissonance.
Worth a thread. Not worth calling in sports talk radio to discuss.

Kevin Love is not going to be some 2nd unit captain. He may get some run with them but he'll get the majority of his minutes with the starters.
I think over the next decade, we will see a shift towards more of a hockey model... Less "starters" and "bench" and more "multiple lines."

#analytics

He's good enough to be the 2nd best player in a championship team IMO. The rest of the team has to be pretty damn good, but it could certainly happen. He did 26-12 the last two years he was healthy before being the 3rd fiddle.

I was being a and poking fun at joe with the caliper/caliber gaff thing. I was just looking to get the word "measure" out there to see if you were taking a subtle cheap shot, but I agree with your post here.