'The Blue Line flag represents my son': Ohio father battles HOA to keep flag flying

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
"I've fought my whole life, This fight is nothing," said Thomas DiSario, a disabled combat veteran.

He sat on his porch, looking out to his front yard and his flag pole that is flying an American flag and a Thin Blue Line flag.

DiSario's son, Eric DiSario, was killed in the line of duty on May 12, 2017. At the time, he was the Kirkersville Police Chief.

so you cant have a flag pole in Mason?
According to my HOA you can it just has to be a certain kind, height, positioned in a certain place on the property. I am guessing they allow certain flags of certain styles. Certainly not as controversial as a shed in backyard or RV in driveway (for over 48 hours)

So Yorktown You FJB flag would be banned.

Last edited:
it's rare but I'm with Happy on this one thing.

HOA's seem like a good idea, but generally show why giving authority to small people is a bad idea. Lol.
The person who volunteers for that job has a personality trait I just don't understand.

According to my HOA you can it just has to be a certain kind, height, positioned in a certain place on the property. I am guessing they allow certain flags of certain styles. Certainly not as controversial as a shed in backyard or RV in driveway (for over 48 hours)

I have a huge gas station FJB flag! My neighbors are sort of put off by it.

Happy talking about right wing manufactured crises…as we’re at the tail end of a manufactured pandemic with another one on the horizon in Monkey Pox, just in time for the mid terms.

Clearly should have been impeached.....twice.
Donald Trump GIF by NowThis

the HOA is calling the Police flag a Political Statement.....because a goof ball like you was upset about it

The key takeaway is that the HOA permits the owner to fly an American flag. But the Blue Line flag is not the American flag. I agree with Hammerdrill re abolishing HOA's, but from what I've read, HOA's in Ohio are within their rights to expect the Blue Line flag to be taken down. I read somewhere there was a bill introduced in the Ohio statehouse to change this, but I don't think it passed.

Unless someone knows different, the father would have given his consent to the restrictions when he moved there. If he wants to go against them now, he's responsible for the resulting fines.

The person who ripped down the flag and wiped their nose with it in front of the father needs to be throat-punched. But the nose-wiper has zero to do with the father's dispute against the HOA.

I feel bad for the father about the loss of his son. No father should have to live through that. But father's status as a disabled combat veteran has zero to do with this dispute, unless the HOA has previously granted such individuals special exemptions in this area.

I’ll never understand why anyone would willingly live in an HOA.
I live in a neighborhood that is between 40 and 50 years old. No HOA of course, and we don't seem to have ever missed having one. If it were built today though, I'm sure there would be one. "Progress" is often not progress.