The "Big Ten" schedule starting in 2024

LCL

The additions of USC and UCLA will undoubtedly change how conference games wil be scheduled.

The B10 will most definitely move away from using divisions to determine their conference champion, as has the PAC 12, and starting next year the ACC. In the ACC, scheduling will involve 3 permanent opponents, and a rotating conference schedule every 2 years.

If the B10 were to adopt some sort of method to scheduling it might mean that everyone will have to use either USC or UCLA as their third permanent opponent. My reasoning for this would be to prevent any team from risking traveling to California twice. Obviously USC and UCLA would protect one another, meaning their other 8 conference opponents would rotate on a year to year basis.

Thinking forward, the three permanents might look something like this:

OHIO STATE-MICHIGAN-USC/UCLA
PENN STATE-MICHIGAN ST-USC/UCLA
MARYLAND-RUTGERS-USC/UCLA
INDIANA-PURDUE-USC/UCLA
WISCONSIN-MINNESOTA-UCLA/USC
IOWA-NEBRASKA-UCLA/USC
NORTHWESTERN-ILLINOIS-UCLA/USC
USC-UCLA-ROTATING OPPONENT

Essentially, you are splitting USC and UCLA into the current East or West divisions, and rotating the traveling to California on a yearly basis.

Would this sort of scheduling work?

aztecjim

It won't work. That's the problem. But I do envision them keeping the "division" scheduling of sorts. OSU will always play Penn State, MSU, TSUN, Maryland , Rutgers and Indiana/Purdue plus three "western division teams" on a rotating basis. Until the TV partners get involved and start insisting on more games with OSU, Penn State, and TSUN playing USC and UCLA.

cjb5656

It won't work. That's the problem. But I do envision them keeping the "division" scheduling of sorts. OSU will always play Penn State, MSU, TSUN, Maryland , Rutgers and Indiana/Purdue plus three "western division teams" on a rotating basis. Until the TV partners get involved and start insisting on more games with OSU, Penn State, and TSUN playing USC and UCLA.
Only Michigan and Penn State will require any yearly schedule protection. The rest can be rotated.