The 1619 Project (yesterday was the 400th anniversary of the first African slave to land on American soil)

hubman

"We need to understand the greater evil of American slavery wasn't involuntary servitude and forced labor; it was this idea that black people aren't as good as white people, that they're not fully human. The Supreme Court said we're three-fifths human, and that created this ideology of white supremacy that we never addressed. The North won the Civil War, but the South won the narrative war. They weren't required to repudiate and acknowledge the wrongfulness of bigotry and slavery. They actually glorified that era,

"As Times editor Mara Gay wrote, “In the days and weeks to come, we will publish essays demonstrating that nearly everything that has made America exceptional grew out of slavery.”

These words, and the first batch of essays, provoked many prominent right-wingers to go berserk. "

"This collective meltdown is puzzling. Anyone who takes the trouble to sit down and read the essays in the 1619 Project will be struck by the fact that they are very sober, thoroughly grounded in the most recent mainstream scholarship, and also surprisingly and fiercely patriotic. By placing the black experience at the center of the American story, the series doesn’t debunk the nation’s ideals of freedom, showing them to be pure claptrap. Rather, focusing on the struggles of those who were denied freedom dramatizes the story of how those ideals came to acquire a measure of reality. "

"As Times editor Mara Gay wrote, “In the days and weeks to come, we will publish essays demonstrating that nearly everything that has made America exceptional grew out of slavery.”

Abject stupidity...she should call it essays for morons.

Do you see the above quote as divisive?

It may be an attempt to open a dialogue but THAT dialogue was opened in the 1950s. We are so far past this point and should be working on our minor differences, not the monumental divide that some want us to believe that exists today.

It may be an attempt to open a dialogue but THAT dialogue was opened in the 1950s. We are so far past this point and should be working on our minor differences, not the monumental divide that some want us to believe that exists today.

I would say provocative. Divisive is Gulliotine's quote about essays for morons.. I think as a nation we were closer together in the eighties and nineties before Roger Ailes and the Fox news propaganda machine started vilifying people of color and the Election of the first Black President that brought all kind of closet racist to the fore.

I would say provocative. Divisive is Gulliotine's quote about essays for morons.. I think as a nation we were closer together in the eighties and nineties before Roger Ailes and the Fox news propaganda machine started vilifying people of color and the Election of the first Black President that brought all kind of closet racist to the fore.
It is actually the other way around, Dems want us to all be part of a group, so they can pit one group against the other.

Pretty sure everybody is 100% up to speed on the struggle by now. Everyone is just tired of you beating the deceased horse into the ground.
I'm sure if you actually read some of the essays you would learn something new, which means you are not 100% up to speed maybe only 95%. It's the 400th anniversary, should they wait for the 500th?

My earliest English relative arrived in America in 1610. That origin was before slavery, so there's that.

Where would Egypt be today, were it not for the slavery of the Jews? Where would Iraq be without the slavery of the Jews? Where would Japan be without the slavery of Koreans or the serfs? Where would France, Germany, England, Turkey, Italy, Spain, Greece, India, China, Ethiopia, Morocco, etc be without the slaves of their past? Where would most of Africa be today if they hadn't been selling people from other tribes and lands to the slave traders?

At some point just about every race/nation/village/family has been a slave to another race/nation/village/family on the planet. How many generations or years should it take to "get over it" and move on and be responsible for your lives and future? Is it 5000 years? 2500? 1000? 500? 100? Is it a generational thing? After 4-5 generations of "free" people aren't they pretty much able to stand on their own? If not, aren't you really confirming what the worst of the bigots believe?

The best you could throw out there was a cheap rhetorical parlor trick? I kind of expected more from you, though that's probably my bad.

???

“Ask anyone…”
“As everyone knows…”
“Any reasonable person would…”
“It’s obvious that…”
"Clearly..."
"It is a remarkable fact that..."

It's becoming pretty clear that you're not exactly a reasonable person, so it's easy to see why you're confused.

The best you could throw out there was a cheap rhetorical parlor trick? I kind of expected more from you, though that's probably my bad.

???

“Ask anyone…”
“As everyone knows…”
“Any reasonable person would…”
“It’s obvious that…”
"Clearly..."
"It is a remarkable fact that..."

And yet, he's not wrong.

We were English colonies then. The United States did not start slavery, we ended slavery!

One of the reasons we fought for our independence was to end slavery. Massachusetts tried around 70?? to end it but was denied by they king, other colonies were also wanting to end slavery. Yes we needed the southern slave states on board to gain our independence, but patriots like Jefferson (the slave owner) and his words in our founding documents paved the way to bring it to a end here before many ares of the world had done so.

Slavery has been a worldwide condition for all of history and still is today in many areas.
The United States has the best founding documents for the individual freedom of all men.

Stop falling for the lies and rewriting of our history.
This is about demonizing our country in order to bring it down and make us good little slaves.

Last edited:
We were English colonies then. The United States did not start slavery, we ended slavery!

One of the reasons we fought for our independence was to end slavery. Massachusetts tried around 70?? to end it but was denied by they king, other colonies were also wanting to end slavery. Yes we needed the southern slave states on board to gain our independence, but patriots like Jefferson (the slave owner) and his words in our founding documents paved the way to bring it to a end here before many ares of the world had done so.

Slavery has been a worldwide condition for all of history and still is today in many areas.
The United States has the best founding documents for the individual freedom of all men.

Stop falling for the lies and rewriting of our history.
This is about demonizing our country in order to bring it down and make us good little slaves.

"Jefferson and the other founders were keenly aware of this hypocrisy. And so in Jefferson’s original draft of the Declaration of Independence, he tried to argue that it wasn’t the colonists’ fault. Instead, he blamed the king of England for forcing the institution of slavery on the unwilling colonists and called the trafficking in human beings a crime. Yet neither Jefferson nor most of the founders intended to abolish slavery, and in the end, they struck the passage.

There is no mention of slavery in the final Declaration of Independence. Similarly, 11 years later, when it came time to draft the Constitution, the framers carefully constructed a document that preserved and protected slavery without ever using the word. In the texts in which they were making the case for freedom to the world, they did not want to explicitly enshrine their hypocrisy, so they sought to hide it. The Constitution contains 84 clauses. Six deal directly with the enslaved and their enslavement, as the historian David Waldstreicher has written, and five more hold implications for slavery. "

Please point out some of the lies you are referring to in this project.

No, I'm not afraid of facts. Slavery was at the beginning. It's as much or more of what we have become as Jamestown and Plymouth Rock. I don't know how we wouldn't be dramatically different, if America at all without that experience of slavery. I think it should always be remembered that slavery wasn't ended by an uprising of the slaves. It was ended by ideals of man. It was our original sin but also our original compassion.

What's this "America" these historical illiterates are calling out? Are they actually talking about the British, French, Spanish & Portuguese EMPIRES that brought African slaves to the Western Hemisphere in an effort to better exploit their fledgling colony's?

And back in the 1600's slavery was UBIQUITOUS across the world. It was truly a global phenomena. Almost everyone who could enslave people did so. There is NO reason the Europeans of the time should not have fully participated in an activity that was being practiced by Africans, Asians, native Americans and all of the Middle East. Talk about diversity in action - slavery was done by everyone.

Hell in the 1500's at least a million Europeans, some as far away as ICELAND were enslaved by African Moors.

Is this going to be part of the NYT's educational series? Hell, did any of you learn about the Barbary slave trade in school?

Please point out some of the lies you are referring to in this project.

You can start with the heading then everything after tries to get you to by into this false narrative
"America wasn't a Democracy, until Black Americans made it one"

Their was more of a abolitionist movement in the Colonies than in England at the time. As I said Massachusetts tried to abolish it but was denied by England 3 times. The English abolition movement came after our revolution.
Slavery was a worldwide condition long before and after the US ended here.

Oh and by the way, we are not and never were a democracy.