Thank You Hornets, and next year

TRIPLE-J

First off I wanted to say Thank You Hornets for the great year you had. Was a lot to try and overcome that last week and you held your heads up high and gave it your best. Not sure how you did it, I know I was having a hard time with all that was going on. Hope all of you are very proud and hope the friends and families are too. Cause I know I am, Very much so. Lot of heart and class on that team from the head coach all the way down to the last freshman player. Cant even imagine having to go out there and play a playoff game like that knowing one of your own is in the hospital and not able to be there. THANK YOU AGAIN
Was wondering what peoples outlook for next season is, know its hard to think about right now but just wanted a general outlook for the team and opinions, on the team, players, different positions etc. Not sure what we are losing to graduation and all.

Thank you Hornets!

Those guys played their hearts out Friday. I loved the emotion after we got that onside kick... We definitely never quit either. I'd like to think we would've won that with a healthy Scholle. Oh well, injuries happen. It was a fun season.

As for next year, I'll just list some thoughts.
-Lot of talent to replace. Seniors have to step up, as do the underclassmen. Especially at the skill positions
-Our offensive line should be great.
-I can't wait to see what Scholle can do.
-The key is getting some guys to really step up at the other skill positions. We need a running back, and we need some WR's.
-I think our defense could be pretty tough. Bernhard needs to step up at the MLB spot. Our defensive line could be pretty good, we bring most of it back.

Again
Thank you Hornets
Thank you Seniors

Thank you Hornets!

Those guys played their hearts out Friday. I loved the emotion after we got that onside kick... We definitely never quit either. I'd like to think we would've won that with a healthy Scholle. Oh well, injuries happen. It was a fun season.

As for next year, I'll just list some thoughts.
-Lot of talent to replace. Seniors have to step up, as do the underclassmen. Especially at the skill positions
-Our offensive line should be great.
-I can't wait to see what Scholle can do.
-The key is getting some guys to really step up at the other skill positions. We need a running back, and we need some WR's.
-I think our defense could be pretty tough. Bernhard needs to step up at the MLB spot. Our defensive line could be pretty good, we bring most of it back.

Again
Thank you Hornets
Thank you Seniors

Flat out awesome performance Friday night. I was proud of each and every young man who stepped on that field. The tradition is slowly building. We have a few seniors coming back next year who have played in 4 playoff games already - and the Hornets have played well in each one. Those guys will need to be leaders next year and pass on to the underclassmen the work ethic and enthusiasm that has been a part of this program the past three seasons. The future is bright. I expect the Hornets to compete for playoff spot again in 2010.

I agree the offensive line will be strength of the team next year. To me, the key offensive skill players who need to work hard in the offseason are Koran and Popson. Koran will have big shoes to fill at RB, but I think he has the ability to get the job done - especially since Scholle can provide the home run in the ground game. Popson's junior year was very similar to Kronenberger's junior year. If he can come in to camp stronger and heavier like Kroney did this year, he will help us because he has good hands and has made big catches with games on the line - like Kroney did with the JV his junior year.

As for Bernhard, I would like to see the coaches try him as a one gap player with his hand on the ground. I doubt they will move him to the front four, but I think he might be more disruptive to opposing offenses at tackle or end. Of course, that would mean finding two new middle backers - but it is just a thought based on my observation of him this year. We also need people step up at outside backer. I have no idea who will end up at the two outside backer spots right now. Secondary should be ok with Trey Edwards coming back at safety and Popson at corner. Will need to find at least one more corner. Two would be better if Popson is going both ways - you see how that wore down Kroney this year. It would be nice if we had enough talent to rotate three corners at the two spots.

Starting with a solid offensive line should help the new skill position players find their way early in the year. Dave Christopher played really well at center the last three weeks of the season. He should be REALLY good next year. Maybe the younger Justik brother can fill the open slot up front. Chris Justik is solid at tackle. I am optimistic. :) Go Hornets!

Agree with everyone. When it was 20-0, the team and coaching staff could have easily folded, yet they chose not to. They played with a tremendous amount of heart. I will say that I learned some things this week about keeping things in perspective and the way the football team carried themselves on and off the field was a big part of that.

PS....any thoughts on who replaces Buckeye on our schedule?

I have heard nothing on that front. Hopefully they find an opponent we can beat that has a good chance of finishing over .500. North Royalton will be a tall order again next year. I saw in the Plain Dealer this morning that their JV and Freshmen only lost a combined total of one game. We should handle Holy Name fairly easily, but there won't be many Harbin points attached to that one. I am not sure who is looking for a week 3 game at this point. :shrug:

Actually - Highland is looking for a WEEK 2 game, not a week 3 game. We have Holy Name for week 1, no one week 2, and North Royalton week 3. I still have heard nothing on potential opponents.

Aaron Maslowski - First Team All Ohio

Congratulations to Aaron Maslowski on his selection to First Team All Ohio, adding to his All District award as offensive player of the year. Great season for Maz. I wish him well and hope he gets a chance to play at the next level in 2010.

Also named Medina County MVP by the Gazette. Congrats again, Maz!

Last edited:
2010 Football Schedule

Actually - Highland is looking for a WEEK 2 game, not a week 3 game. We have Holy Name for week 1, no one week 2, and North Royalton week 3. I still have heard nothing on potential opponents.

Got the Answer to this. Hornets are at Olmsted Falls week 2. But the new schedule posted at the AD's website still has Rocky River listed as our week one opponent. Apparently Rocky River had a change of heart about dropping us. 2010 Schedule is below. Talk about a tough non-leaugue schedule. Rocky River and North Royalton were playoff teams and Olmsted Falls was 6-4 and just missed the playoffs losing to rival North Olmsted 14-6 in week 10. No weeks off for the Hornets this year!

08/27/10 Friday Rocky River @ Highland 7:30 PM
09/03/10 Friday Highland @ Olmsted Falls 7:30 PM
09/10/10 Friday North Royalton @ Highland 7:30 PM
09/17/10 Friday Copley @ Highland 7:00 PM
09/24/10 Friday Highland @ Tallmadge 7:00 PM
10/01/10 Friday Revere @ Highland - Homecoming 7:00 PM
10/08/10 Friday Highland @ Green 7:00 PM
10/15/10 Friday Barberton @ Highland - Senior Night 7:00 PM
10/22/10 Friday Highland @ Wadsworth 7:00 PM
10/29/10 Friday Highland @ Cloverleaf 7:00 PM

Last edited: