Tessitore, McFarland Out of MNF Booth

bedevil

Praise the Lord, ESPN finally did something right:

As ESPN continued to look for new additions to the Monday Night Football crew, it became increasingly obvious that the current members of the booth would not be returning. It’s now official.

Richard Deitsch of TheAthletic.com reports that Joe Tessitore and Booger McFarland won’t be back. Deitsch adds that the replacements will come from within ESPN, and that decisions have not been made as to the persons who will succeed Tessitore and McFarland, both of whom will remain in “prominent roles” at ESPN.

ESPN reportedly made runs in recent months at folks like Peyton Manning, Tony Romo, and Al Michaels. Any changes could be temporary. With rumors rampant that the next deal for Monday Night Football (which starts in 2022) may result in the game moving back to ABC, efforts to swing for the fences when it comes to the folks working the games may not result in a strikeout.

I didn't mind Tessitore so much, he's a very capable play-by-play man, but he just seemed to be...there. McFarland waffled between mediocre to simply unlistenable, especially as the season wore on and he started acting like he was the show. Monday Night Football isn't the pre-eminent spotlight game anymore, mostly because the NFL continues to schedule stinkers, with no flex options. But Tessitore and, particularly, McFarland offered nothing to entice more viewership.

Whomever is providing color will have to be someone with a depth of football knowledge, and that's not Stephen A. Smith. But there is a chance ESPN will want to go back to MNF roots and bring in Smith to be the new Howard Cosell. The issue would be what football guy with any cache would want to be a foil for Smith?

I think Stephen A Smith would be interesting but offer nothing as far as football goes. He is entertaining and annoying at the same time but I don't believe his sports knowledge is all that deep. It is something that ESPN has to weigh all the time, entertainers or knowledgeable people. Very rarely do you find both. I prefer more knowledge without all the antics. Hoping that ESPN sees it the same way and finds someone with real football knowledge.

Let's hope nobody thinks Steven A. could be the next Howard Cosell. Monday Night Football has become a shell of what it once was. Putting Stephen A, in the booth would kill it.

Just get me a knowledgeable crew that doesn't try to make the game about themselves and I will be content.

Louis Riddick is about the only on-air person from ESPN that I could stomach listening try to analyze a game. Their on-air personalities are awful when it comes to NFL.

I think Stephen A Smith would be interesting but offer nothing as far as football goes. He is entertaining and annoying at the same time but I don't believe his sports knowledge is all that deep. It is something that ESPN has to weigh all the time, entertainers or knowledgeable people. Very rarely do you find both. I prefer more knowledge without all the antics. Hoping that ESPN sees it the same way and finds someone with real football knowledge.
Stephen A Smith called Dwayne Haskins a running QB in college. End of discussion.

Louis Riddick is about the only on-air person from ESPN that I could stomach listening try to analyze a game. Their on-air personalities are awful when it comes to NFL.
Yes. I think Fowler and Riddick would be their best choice of current ESPN talent.

Booger, on 4th down in the hurry up...
"They should hurry up and spike the ball...."...

That comment did it for me!

i will never NOT watch, or watch, an NFL game because of whom is announcing, but the good ones do make it a little more enjoyable.

Reactions: y2h
i will never NOT watch, or watch, an NFL game because of whom is announcing, but the good ones do make it a little more enjoyable.
Ehhh, it’s hard to watch a game with a female play by play announcer. Just doesn’t feel right.

As far as the MNF changes, Tessatore is a mediocrity and Booger isn’t even that. Good riddance.

Dan Orlovsky unfortunately sounds like a front-runner for the color commentator role. I think Pat McAfee makes sense, but ESPN probably doesn't trust him.

Carter Blackburn for the play-by-play? I dunno.

Booger should stick to SEC football and Stephen A to Knicks basketball.... or whatever passes for basketball at MSG. Stephen A is like Will Ferrell. Can take in small doses but my ears bleed when hes the main focus

Louis Riddick would be solid

If we are talking dream team, I'd vote Al Michaels and Romo. If we are talking the best employed by Disney/ESPN, I like Fowler and Riddick, Fowler is a polished pro, and Riddick knows the NFL; gives great insight every time I hear him.

If we are talking dream team, I'd vote Al Michaels and Romo. If we are talking the best employed by Disney/ESPN, I like Fowler and Riddick, Fowler is a polished pro, and Riddick knows the NFL; gives great insight every time I hear him.
Riddick is good. I've always thought Chris Spielman is a very good analyst, but he may be a little on the dull side for some.

Riddick is good. I've always thought Chris Spielman is a very good analyst, but he may be a little on the dull side for some.

I can live with dull. It's much better than over the top.

Give me a play by play guy that does the basics of calling the game and a color guy who gives me insights and what to expect (e.g. Romo on football and John Smoltz on baseball) and I am perfectly content.

Ehhh, it’s hard to watch a game with a female play by play announcer. Just doesn’t feel right.

As far as the MNF changes, Tessatore is a mediocrity and Booger isn’t even that. Good riddance.
I'm not opposed to a female announcers, it's just that very few of them are any good. Doris Burke is the exception

If ESPN could pull Ian Eagle away from CBS he'd be a great choice. Could also do NBA and college games while still doing the NCAA tourney for CBS.

The analyst position should go to either Riddick or Kurt Warner. Noone else. ESPN needs to cut out the gimmicky sh-t and just get back to football basics. No more ridiculous Booger Mobile sideline cranes and Hyundai Genesis Halftime Show Music Video Concerts

ian eagle has gotten better......i remember when he first started he sucked. he would always do the bengals games because they also sucked. lol

jtk
()

ian eagle has gotten better......i remember when he first started he sucked. he would always do the bengals games because they also sucked. lol

jtk
()

That shows how much you suck- you get assigned the Bengals or the Browns.

Reactions: jtk