Teams Opting Out Playoffs

Over the past 20 years Canfield has scheduled the following opponents:
View attachment 9977
A few notes: Their only D-V opponent was Campbell (it was a conference/league game), their D-IV opponents have mainly been Struthers and Poland. Their D-I opponents have included Fitch and East among others.
Canfield averages 4 D-II opponents and 5 D-III opponents per year with the other school being either D-I or D-IV.

So just to be clear I have no problem with who Struthers schedules, I don't expect them to play 4 or 5 D-II or higher schools like Canfield has, since Canfield is D-III which is a division higher, but it is a bit unfair to say Canfield doesn't play good opponents OOC because they schedule teams like Louisville, Dover, Notre-Dame Cathedral Latin, Chardon, Kenston, Ellett, Roosevelt, Aurora, Maple Heights, Highland et al.
And Boardman is tougher than you think, they play a pretty solid schedule between Federal League teams, all the D-I and D-II teams in the area as well as Ursuline and Mooney, and granted Mooney has been down as of late, but you have to give them a bit of credit for at least playing a respectable schedule, though it probably has some room for improvement as does many teams in this area.
Canfield scheduled a NDCL team that beat them by 38, a New Philly team that was one of the best in the state last year, a Dover team who beat them & New Philly.

Now that September 17th has past. What schools will not entertain the opportunity to play in this year's playoffs? I would appreciate the help...

Now that September 17th has past. What schools will not entertain the opportunity to play in this year's playoffs? I would appreciate the help...

As of now, any team listed in the regions on Eitel's website are in for the playoffs. Any teams that have opted out are not listed. Also, if you look at a team's schedule on Eitel and see an opponent whose listing lists the division but not the playoff region, then that opponent has opted out of the playoffs. Teams still have until Thursday to opt out of the playoffs with no penalty. Seeding will be done roughly a week from tomorrow.

Note that a chunk of those opt outs (the Clevelands, Lorain, Jefferson Township, Hillcrest) are not even playing football now. Ada canceled due to low numbers

Most teams opting out will still be playing football.

How about those not playing...Cleveland teams, Lorain, Jefferson Township...will they play in Spring? (Guessing Jefferson Township won't since they'll have no one convenient to play)

It’s just odd to me, for the most part everybody will still play at least 10 games, should have just kept original schedules and playoff format.
I think the reason they did this was so that no team would be conflicted with cancelling a game, even if it might make the difference of making the playoffs.

So we are going to have 1 title game 1 week before the other 6. Genius.....not really. Might as well have them at some middle geographic location between the schools that is a HS field

So we are going to have 1 title game 1 week before the other 6. Genius.....not really. Might as well have them at some middle geographic location between the schools that is a HS field
They're not going to be in Canton this year. It's basically exactly how you envision this year. Just like any other neutral round.

Last edited:
Even so the D I map makes sense. Good regions and a nice even 64 and no additional regular season games. I think it is good.

So the DI final will be a week before all the others. Also, someone could have a haul Region 2. It goes from south of Dayton to Toledo. I bet the OHSAA is hoping Whitmer and Perrysburg end up as the first round match-up (which is what it would be based on the rankings on Joe Eitel at the moment).

Here is the DI map:
That sounds like a mess! If a team would have to travel from Dayton to Toledo or vice versa is at a huge disadvantage. Cannot imagine a team making that drive in a regional game.

That sounds like a mess! If a team would have to travel from Dayton to Toledo or vice versa is at a huge disadvantage. Cannot imagine a team making that drive in a regional game.

Just win games and you will be at home and not worry about the travel..... Not really that far going from Dayton to Toledo.... could be worse....

Just win games and you will be at home and not worry about the travel..... Not really that far going from Dayton to Toledo.... could be worse....
Regional semifinal game, where a 2 hosts the 3 seed and is going to have a team a little over 2 hours to compete. That is a big advantage for the home team. Both teams in this scenario have won as you suggest but one still has to make the trek. It may not happen just thinking how advantageous it is for the top seeds to play at home through regionals.

Semi's were in Sidney last year, not that much different. Wasn't bad. I'm old and the drive didn't slow me up at the concession stand at all! That pairing wont be even close to worse case in the state.

Regional semifinal game, where a 2 hosts the 3 seed and is going to have a team a little over 2 hours to compete. That is a big advantage for the home team. Both teams in this scenario have won as you suggest but one still has to make the trek. It may not happen just thinking how advantageous it is for the top seeds to play at home through regionals.

Two hours is not that big of a deal. When Lima was in the GMC everybody they played at home had a 2+ hour trip to their place and it never really gave them a competitive advantage. In fact, we never lost to them at Lima, but they did drive 2 hours to Middletown and beat us at home once. It's probably a slight advantage, but I think you are definitely overplaying how much of an advantage it really is.

"travel is a disadvantage" is an old adage but i've never seen anyone do a study to back it up. La Salle didn't seem to have a problem with the travel to Canton when they played Massillon.

I'll be honest, there are times I'd rather play on the road. There can be a lot of distractions at home for both coaching staff and players. We've won a ton of big games on the road.

Not sure why there should be objection to having D I title game a week early. Also would not be surprised if the other 6 are spaced or timed in a way that would make it difficult if not impossible to see all 6. Again, no problem with that in 2020. It can go back to a party/showcase in 2021.