Teams Opting Out Playoffs

Not sure why there should be objection to having D I title game a week early. Also would not be surprised if the other 6 are spaced or timed in a way that would make it difficult if not impossible to see all 6. Again, no problem with that in 2020. It can go back to a party/showcase in 2021.

I would assume attendance criteria won't change anyways, and also would assume all will be televised anyways. Nothing is going to change drastically with pandemic in 7-8 weeks, at least not in a good way.

Or maybe, more play off games more money for OHSAA. I don't think OHSAA counted on this many teams opting out, if they had, OHSAA would have an opt out fee.

The OHSAA hoped this many teams would opt out! They have expenses for these tournament games, and who is gonna go to a round one blowout with huge travel? Those games would be money losers for sure. Opt outs, better matchups, pray that the seeding keeps travel reasonable, hope you sell out your 15% allotment.

Finances are important (and not dirty like some of you dolts think), however I think the focus of the OHSAA may be more on providing an experience for student-athletes than you might want to believe.

Fremont St. Joe and Hilltop opted out and will be playing each other week 7
Bucyrus and Crestline opted out and will be playing each other week 7

The experience of playing in a playoff game is one you never forget. Choosing to deny kids this opportunity for any reason other than health and safety is just plain wrong. Yes there are other things in life than football but this is a truly special and unique opportunity. Never would I opt out.

The experience of playing in playoff games is only worthwhile when you actually qualify for them, with the only prerequisite being that you say yes to participating playing in a round 1 playoff game has lost all of its shine. Additionally, being on a 2-4 team and losing by 40+ in week 7 is not an experience anyone is going to value. Coaches need to be realistic here and understand the genuine quality of their team before wasting one of the final games of some of their kids lives

Fremont St. Joe and Hilltop opted out and will be playing each other week 7
Bucyrus and Crestline opted out and will be playing each other week 7

both excellent decisions....now they both need to face the facts and start playing 8-man. Obviously there's already a ready made league waiting for them.

So now that the final opt-out deadline has passed, what's the count of teams that aren't participating in the playoffs?

According to Joe Eitel, the number of teams still entered into the playoffs for each region are as follows (if a team opted out, Eitel removed that team from the computer standings). Also listed is how many teams would get 1st round byes (i.e. round of 32):

DI
1 - 16, no round of 32 needed
2 - 16, no round of 32 needed
3 - 16, no round of 32 needed
4 - 16, no round of 32 needed

DII
5 - 26, 6 byes
6 - 24, 8 byes
7 - 25, 7 byes
8 - 25, 7 byes

DIII
9 - 27, 5 byes
10 - 22, 10 byes
11 - 23, 9 byes
12 - 26, 6 byes

DIV
13 - 25, 7 byes
14 - 24, 8 byes
15 - 26, 6 byes
16 - 25, 7 byes

DV
17 - 26, 6 byes
18 - 25, 7 byes
19 - 25, 7 byes
20 - 24, 8 byes

DVI
21 - 26, 6 byes
22 - 26, 6 byes
23 - 25, 7 byes
24 - 22, 10 byes

DVII
25 - 21, 11 byes
26 - 25, 7 byes
27 - 24, 8 byes
28 - 21, 11 byes

Off topic but has it been determined where the state finals will be played?

I don't believe so. The Hall of Fame has made it clear that they would like to host as many as possible. But I think the OHSAA is going to let geography dictate the locations.

Understand this, but don't like it.
Off topic but has it been determined where the state finals will be played?

No, but best guess is a neutral.HS field between the 2 participating schools announced that week. Dont believe this year will be 1 location for all

No, but best guess is a neutral.HS field between the 2 participating schools announced that week. Dont believe this year will be 1 location for all
Yea I wasn't expecting all games in same stadium, just wasn't sure if the criteria was set for venues.