Teams of the decades

What was that league that Middletown, Hamilton, I think Lima and maybe Springfield were in?

Greater Ohio League.

League members were Middletown, Hamilton, Lima, Portsmouth, Springfield. Portsmouth website says that Mansfield and Chillicothe were members for a short time as well. Website says that by the 70s only Portsmouth, Lima and Springfield South remained. Someone from Hamilton or Springfield can help here but I assume that both Taft and Garfield were around for the entirety of the GOL as they didn't combine until maybe 1980?? Same with Springfield. I'm not sure when Springfield split into North and South originally. So its possible the GOL was at one point maybe a 9 team league???

Guy who attended my church was a Lima grad back in the 50s and said the best away games were the ones to Portsmouth. They basically had to get out of school in the morning to make the bus trip down to Cincinnati, THEN get on River Road / US 52 in Cincinnati to go east to Portsmouth. This was pre Interstate 75 so he it took a while to get from Lima to Portsmouth by bus.

Between 1944 and 1961 the GOL won 11 state titles. MOST of them were the Middies, with Hamilton and Portsmouth putting in some work. Taft won a state title in 1962 but i'm not 100% sure they were in the GOL. Again someone from Hamilton can assist with this.

Last edited:
^^^
Pushing 80, and being from rural central Ohio all I had done was hear about the league. We didn't get all the coverage in the 40s and 50s that we get today. Did get to go to Cleveland for the state semis and finals when Jerry Lucas was a sophomore and then to St. John's after that. I remember getting a ticket at St. John's for the B semis for $2.00. That seems like a million years ago now.

I expect more of a retort from this fool. I can out write you. I can out think you. I can out philosophize you. Silesius 17 Century "I am like God and God like me. I am as large as God. He is as small as I. He cannot above me nor I beneath him be". Hey, that is not bad coming from someone, as you say, lives in a 1 bedroomer in Euclid. I thinks that you got duped with that misguided culture at your school. The praiseworthy people of this world care naught of your yacht, helicopter, caviar, silk linens and yo-yo. I culminate with Charlie Sheen from the 21st century. WINNING

^^^
Pushing 80, and being from rural central Ohio all I had done was hear about the league. We didn't get all the coverage in the 40s and 50s that we get today. Did get to go to Cleveland for the state semis and finals when Jerry Lucas was a sophomore and then to St. John's after that. I remember getting a ticket at St. John's for the B semis for $2.00. That seems like a million years ago now.

Not 100% sure how that league came to be seeing as how it's so far out geographically. I mean you have a league with similar blue collar industrial communities but they're so scattered (NW Ohio, SE Ohio, SW Ohio and for a moment North Central Ohio with Mansfield). I also forgot to mention that prior to 1955 there was no Lima Senior. It would've been Lima Central and Lima South.

So is this thread about a single best team during a decade or the best program over the whole decade? Those are two very different discussions, they can have some similar answers at times, but still two different discussions.

I expect more of a retort from this fool. I can out write you. I can out think you. I can out philosophize you. Silesius 17 Century "I am like God and God like me. I am as large as God. He is as small as I. He cannot above me nor I beneath him be". Hey, that is not bad coming from someone, as you say, lives in a 1 bedroomer in Euclid. I thinks that you got duped with that misguided culture at your school. The praiseworthy people of this world care naught of your yacht, helicopter, caviar, silk linens and yo-yo. I culminate with Charlie Sheen from the 21st century. WINNING
You sound like such an uneducated idiot which you probably are, Charlie Sheen's winning quote was 2011 so it is an old take just like your Vikings, You probably have the HIV like he does, now go away and I am done with you. You bore me with your posts.

So is this thread about a single best team during a decade or the best program over the whole decade? Those are two very different discussions, they can have some similar answers at times, but still two different discussions.
I originally intended it to be about the best program over the course of a decade and that seems to be where the conversation has generally been concentrated.

I like the idea of best team. Brings more of a debate and more options to discuss. Best program over the whole decade is kinda cut and dry and leaves you with few schools to debate over.

I originally intended it to be about the best program over the course of a decade and that seems to be where the conversation has generally been concentrated.
Jackson won two D1 state titles in 2010 and 2017. Not too bad for a public school

You sound like such an uneducated idiot which you probably are, Charlie Sheen's winning quote was 2011 so it is an old take just like your Vikings, You probably have the HIV like he does, now go away and I am done with you. You bore me with your posts.
Blow, how are you? It does not matter if you live in a hovel, in the TAJ or somewhere in-between. We all know it by one word. WINNING!!! JOES is one of the 2 teams of the decade and your overblown school is not in the conversation. Do not live in denial. Except the facts and you will enjoy a better life. WINNING

Last edited:
Myboyblue, because he needed the money (circa 1987 Andrew Dice Clay), we know what you have been doing, but, where are you? Have you been spending your time at that SNOBATORIUM of a school of yours on the west side? Here is your FACT update. JOES was the BB PROGRAM OF THE DECADE in the 1990s and the 2010s. St. Snob was omitted because they were NOT GOOD ENOUGH. WINNING

Myboyblue, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to the biggest MOTHA- in the city. You refuse to respond because you are a beaten boy. WINNING

You bore me, your arguments are weak and your program blows. You and your lap dog Conspirator go away and play Xbox in your 1 bedroom apartment in Euclid if you think that is winning then you are the LOSER!

You bore me, your arguments are weak and your program blows. You and your lap dog Conspirator go away and play Xbox in your 1 bedroom apartment in Euclid if you think that is winning then you are the LOSER!
You are too dupable!!!!! I knew that I could draw you out of your despondency. You can try to insult with your fake highbrow defense mechanism. It will not change the naked veracity of JOES being the TEAM OF THE DECADE in the 1990s and 2010s. This name will forevermore be replaying in your memory. CHARLIE SHEEN

I must own property in your head because you can't let it go, 0-20 for Ed's the last 20 years. Go bother someone else on another thread because you bore me. Get a life.

I must own property in your head because you can't let it go, 0-20 for Ed's the last 20 years. Go bother someone else on another thread because you bore me. Get a life.
Hey blue, I saw that you got destroyed on the Iggy thread too. It is no wonder that you do not post much anymore.

I saw the Massillon guys buried you and your lap dog Viking4life, You two idiots bore me. Good luck this year for your D5 VASJ football team and their CYO schedule.
I see that your boys at Iggy banished you for your mutiny on coach Kyle. A word has not been invented to describe your senselessness.

When is the last time you won a playoff game?
When was the first time that you won States? As most well informed people know, JOES has 7 titles in BB and 1 in FB. The multitudes are also familiar with your school having ZERO State titles in football and basketball. Thus, to answer my Q, you have NOTHING except for alot of words with zilch to back it up. Sweet dreams because that is the only wavelength that you will experience bliss. CHARLIE SHEEN