Teams of the decades

And just think. LeBron and some of his buddies went to buchtel middle school. What a game changer that would have been over the last 20 years.
You have to wonder what the impact would have been had that group gone to Buchtel. Certainly STVM basketball would be considerably less. Certainly LeBron would still have been a great player. But would he have been "The Chosen One"? Would he, could he, have gotten the publicity playing in the Akron City Series that he did playing around the country the way that team did? The freedom (maybe too much freedom?) the Irish schedule offered certainly helped build his brand in high school. Had he gone to Buchtel, the Griffs definitely would have won the state titles that the Irish did, but would LeBron have been considered the transcendent player that he was for STVM? He never was one who wanted to average 40 a game. So what would his legacy have been as a great player at Buchtel who dominated the City Series for four years? Certainly still as an all-time great player. But I wonder if his impact on Buchtel would have been as long-lasting as his impact on STVM. Would players still have wanted "to follow in his footsteps" to play a City Series schedule? And not to knock the City Series, but the Irish status as an independent makes it much easier for them to cobble together a schedule that a team in the City Series (or in most conferences) could not match. The decision of that group to go to STVM rather than Buchtel was certainly a game-changer, as you say, for both schools. But it likely also worked out better in the long run for LeBron as well.

Last edited:
Wehrle in the 80s we’re dominating. 87-88 team might have a argument of being the best team of the decade. 85-86, 86-87, 87-88 teams were ranked in nation.
Old Chuck Kemper. One of the most notorious coaches in OHSAA history.

STVM 8 state titles and this year would have been number 9. The chase for #9 will begin next season as the Irish return nearly all their talent for 20-21 to 9 ?

STVM 8 state titles and this year would have been number 9. The chase for #9 will begin next season as the Irish return nearly all their talent for 20-21 to 9 ?
I respect you but there was no guarantee that #9 would happen. A regional v. Lutheran East(a team that won a regular season match up) was in question.

Last edited:
I respect you but there was no guarantee that #9 would happen. A regional v. Lutheran East(a team that won a regular season match up) was in question.
Like I've stated on other threads, no offense to Trotwood or Shawnee, but LE and the Irish were the two best teams in D2 this year. That would have been a great rematch in the regional final. Sad that it didn't happen.

Like I've stated on other threads, no offense to Trotwood or Shawnee, but LE and the Irish were the two best teams in D2 this year. That would have been a great rematch in the regional final. Sad that it didn't happen.
Stay safe and hopefully many more seasons ahead for all of us.

You are a very angry boy. That will increase your chances of heart disease. Take a breath and except the VIKINGS place in history. Maybe some day, your elitist school will find that elusive prize in a box of Count Chocula.
[/QUOT
VASJ was 6th in the country during the 2014-2015 season. They were in the state title game 5 times in the 2010s, winning 3 -ships. The "FLOOR" has the effect of athletes playing faster when you are off of it. C. McKinley has been complaining about it since the 1980s. The VIKINGS are obviously one of the teams of the decade. But, that is not what this is about for you.

You cannot fathom that it is the VIKINGS that are enjoying this illustriousness. You want to lesson the programs achievements but it is in the history books. You do this because you learned it during your upbringing. It was reinforced and cemented in your beliefs at the lost and found school for SNOBERY that you attended.
You are so full of , you went 23-4 that year and lost to Ed's as usual, zero chance that a D3 team from Ohio can lose 4 games and be ranked 6th in the country now if I look this up I will prove you to be a liar so go away and quit talking . You are a LOSER who needs to lie and can not deal with facts. You know nothing about sports and you are hung up on a team of the decade because you won 2013 2015 and 2017 and they were not even D1 or D2 so shut up and go away you are embarrassing yourself.

You are so full of , you went 23-4 that year and lost to Ed's as usual, zero chance that a D3 team from Ohio can lose 4 games and be ranked 6th in the country now if I look this up I will prove you to be a liar so go away and quit talking . You are a LOSER who needs to lie and can not deal with facts. You know nothing about sports and you are hung up on a team of the decade because you won 2013 2015 and 2017 and they were not even D1 or D2 so shut up and go away you are embarrassing yourself.
They are certainly one of the teams of the decade.

By the way you went 8-15 this year and lost to Ed's by 49 you are not enjoying this illustriousness. Don't use words that are over your head and quit trying to act like you are smarter than you are because you sound more ignorant the more you post your nonsense.

You have to wonder what the impact would have been had that group gone to Buchtel. Certainly STVM basketball would be considerably less. Certainly LeBron would still have been a great player. But would he have been "The Chosen One"? Would he, could he, have gotten the publicity playing in the Akron City Series that he did playing around the country the way that team did? The freedom (maybe too much freedom?) the Irish schedule offered certainly helped build his brand in high school. Had he gone to Buchtel, the Griffs definitely would have won the state titles that the Irish did, but would LeBron have been considered the transcendent player that he was for STVM? He never was one who wanted to average 40 a game. So what would his legacy have been as a great player at Buchtel who dominated the City Series for four years? Certainly still as an all-time great player. But I wonder if his impact on Buchtel would have been as long-lasting as his impact on STVM. Would players still have wanted "to follow in his footsteps" to play a City Series schedule? And not to knock the City Series, but the Irish status as an independent makes it much easier for them to cobble together a schedule that a team in the City Series (or in most conferences) could not match. The decision of that group to go to STVM rather than Buchtel was certainly a game-changer, as you say, for both schools. But it likely also worked out better in the long run for LeBron as well.

This is a valid point. However STVM did not play a national schedule until Lebrons sophmore year. Buchtel had a better out of league schedule up until that point including games against the Irish. Lebron was always going to be Lebron he was the best player in the country at every basketball camp and AAU tournament since 4th grade. Shooting Stars were national champs in 1996 or 1997. He was dunking on everyone in 7th grade, Stevie Wonder couldve saw Lebron coming. I won't play the what if game but Lebron couldve went to any school in Akron and made it happen. The greatest gift that Lebron gave ST.VM is coach Dru Joyce.

By the way you went 8-15 this year and lost to Ed's by 49 you are not enjoying this illustriousness. Don't use words that are over your head and quit trying to act like you are smarter than you are because you sound more ignorant the more you post your nonsense.
It is known that one should never try to reason with the insane.

Last edited:
In the Southeast District, Portsmouth recorded 8 seasons of at least 20 wins in the 1980's and overall for that decade had a mark of 197-50.

1980: 21-6.......Class AA state runnerup
1981: 20-4.......District runnerup
1982: 20-4.......District champion
1983: 20-4.......District champion
1984: 20-4.......District runnerup
1985: 10-12.....Sectional finals
1986: 16-8.......District semifinals
1987: 22-3.......District champion
1988: 27-1.......D2 State Champion
1989: 21-4.......District champion
Portsmouth took out 2 of our area teams in 80 and 88; Willard and Mansfield Malabar, respectively. Malabar closed a year later, merging with Mansfield Senior.

You have to wonder what the impact would have been had that group gone to Buchtel. Certainly STVM basketball would be considerably less. Certainly LeBron would still have been a great player. But would he have been "The Chosen One"? Would he, could he,

yes

I am not talking about a talent perspective, but from a publicity perspective. Obviously he would still be the same player. But does LeBron make the cover of Sports Illustrated if his team isn't travelling around the country? Maybe, but maybe not.

I am not talking about a talent perspective, but from a publicity perspective. Obviously he would still be the same player. But does LeBron make the cover of Sports Illustrated if his team isn't travelling around the country? Maybe, but maybe not.
Yes!! Lebron has been the man in the basketball world since 4th grade. He has always been athletic royalty it just took a minute for the hype to catch up. He was always top notch on the AAU circuit locally and nationally. Going back to the Cage Classic days. Lebron was thee man in football and basketball since day 1 always played up in age because of his talent. The man was dunking in the 5th/6th grade. Remember he got on the cover of Sports Illustrated because of his performance at Addidas ABCD basketball camp against other blue chip prospects like Carmelo and Lenny Cooke not to mention the scrimmage with Kobe. This is not a knock on the Irish at all but Lebron couldve made this happen anywhere he went.

Now if we are talking current era I absolutely believe kids like Jayvon Graves, Jakir Samspon, etc benefited more from playing at STVM vs a public no doubt about it. But Lebron wasn't dubbed the chosen one for no reason.

The Vikings at the time of the Oak Hill game on ESPN were unbeaten and ranked either 6 or 9 in the nation - that is a fact.

If Joe's was ranked that high at the start of the season then it shows they were overrated, they ended up 130 that year. Who cares where you are ranked at the start of the year it matters where you end up. By the way my comments were 13 days ago not sure on why the delay on your end.

The Vikings at the time of the Oak Hill game on ESPN were unbeaten and ranked either 6 or 9 in the nation - that is a fact.
As you know, one cannot have an intelligent exchange with someone who has an ax to grind. Myboyblue, who needed the money, is much like Brusharc. For 99.9% of basketball/sports enthusiasts, 3 Championships and 2 Runners-Up is an illustrious decade. We do not need to apologize for where they told us to play and if we lost some regular season game.

As you know, one cannot have an intelligent exchange with someone who has an ax to grind. Myboyblue, who needed the money, is much like Brusharc. For 99.9% of basketball/sports enthusiasts, 3 Championships and 2 Runners-Up is an illustrious decade. We do not need to apologize for where they told us to play and if we lost some regular season game.
First of all Vikings4life I deal with facts you do not, you seem so angry at the Ed's and Ignatius people of the world and I can see why,

1. Your AD went to coach for Ignatius and sent his son to play for them
2. You have lost to Ed's 20 straight years and this year was by 49, Iggy has a winning record vs you in the last 20 years
3. Your football team missed the playoff for D5 but somehow it was a successful year
4. You have no basketball coach and your team is in chaos
5. You are the 2nd best school right now in Euclid
6. Your bar Skinny's closed

Nobody celebrates preseason rankings 4 years later when your team finished 130 that year, (Hoban in football this year was preseason top 20 in the nation. They lost 2 games and didn't win state, they don't celebrate the preseason ranking get a clue.)
So keep celebrating your team of the decade award because you obviously have nothing else to look forward to.

FACT This is a BB thread.
FACT 3 -SHIPS in a decade
FACT There is a very good reason that a certain school is located in Lakewood.
FACT I wish you well.

Chaminade for the 1960s:
1961 - District Champs
1962 - District Champs
1963 - District Champs
1965 - District Champs
1966 - AA State Champs
1968 - District Champs
1969 - Regional Champs
1970 - AA undefeated State Champs

8 Districts, 3 Regionals, 2 State Championships in a 10 year period.

It is thought provoking methodology to try to determine a pecking order. If you ask any COMPETITOR in the state, 99%+ would rather win a State Championship than be ranked in a computer poll. A ranking should not carry more weight than winning a -SHIP. The only people that think about polls that way are the mind-numbed robots in Massillon.

Hahaha you are pathetic, you use the polls in an argument when you say you were ranked number 6 at the start of the year but when an independent place like Maxpreps says information that you don't agree with you dispute it. You are insane and I don't have the energy to deal with your ignorant . The poll was based on 10 years and in those 10 year you went 0-10 vs Eds. You starting this whole conversation by saying St. Ed's should not be in the conversation and now you say it is impossible to determine a pecking order. You are all over the board. I can't even follow your BS. At least Maxpreps agrees with me on the 10 years and you are so mad about it. You should be more worried why they had LaSalle ranked 4 ahead of you, obviously they value D1 and D2 championships way more than D3 and D4. I lose brain cells dealing with you.

It is JOES and SVSM at the top in the 2010s. Every other school, including those west side fools that draw from 5-7 counties, are NOT in the discussion. WINNING (see Charlie Sheen) CHAMPIONSHIPS is what counts not your polls, rankings or other opinion. There is nothing to be upset about when you win 3 in a decade. Go have some fun with your poll in Lakewood.

Wow a catholic school killing another for having kids from 5-7 counties, you are such a bitter loser and your school will be closed in 2 years, maybe if your school would be worth going to your enrollment would be higher. People in Euclid would rather go to Euclid than VASJ, your school is a has been, so send one of your gay quotes and pull your monkey in your one bedroom apartment in Euclid. When is the last time you beat St V? Don't even try to put yourself on that level with St V you have a losing record against all good D1 teams so go away.

WINNING STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
When you get to 7 in BB then let us know.
Beat St. V in 2017.
Team of the decade. You are so bent that it was not your white bread school by the over-rated market.
WINNING

I can't argue with the conclusion that Moeller and STVM are tied for the top spot in this poll's calculation. If you look at just the post season, I'd probably rank Moeller #1 over STVM for this period. Even though the Irish have more titles, I'd have to give a nod to Moeller since it is tougher to be dominate in D1. However, if you look just at the regular season, I'd give the nod to the Irish because, while Moeller's schedule is certainly no cakewalk, IMO the Irish have the toughest schedule in the state year-in and year-out.