Tate Martell to retire

I wonder what Joe Burrows is thinking right now? While I suspect that he's happy with LSU, particularly since the Tigers will be in the national title hunt next year, you have to think he's doing a bit of "what if" thinking?

As an aside and I know I'll catch flak for this but in the end wouldn't it have been better for Ohio State to have declared Burrows the winner of last springs QB competition? I submit the Bucks would have done just as good as they did this year with Burrows at QB and next year they would be sitting pretty with a veteran dual threat QB at the helm.

Burrow was no where near as good as Haskins and probably wouldn't win the job over Fields.

He was not as effective a passing QB as Haskins was that's for sure. But IMO he would have fit Meyer's offense better then Haskins did. I believe that OSU's wins & losses would have played out very similarly with Burrows at QB as with Haskins. The difference is how they would have won & lost those games. Sure, Burrows wasn't going to throw for 400 yards every week but his running ability would have been greatly appreciated by Meyer.

As for Fields, we have no idea how good this kid will be as he didn't start for Georgia. We did see Burrows improve significantly at LSU in leading his team to a 10 - 3 record and a top 10 finish while playing arguably the toughest schedule in college football. And given LSU's inexperience at RB, WR & O-line combined with Burrows having little time to learn a new offense the results overall were very solid.

I wonder what Joe Burrows is thinking right now? While I suspect that he's happy with LSU, particularly since the Tigers will be in the national title hunt next year, you have to think he's doing a bit of "what if" thinking?

As an aside and I know I'll catch flak for this but in the end wouldn't it have been better for Ohio State to have declared Burrows the winner of last springs QB competition? I submit the Bucks would have done just as good as they did this year with Burrows at QB and next year they would be sitting pretty with a veteran dual threat QB at the helm.

I mean Burrow made the best choice. Meyer never made a choice for starting QB so Burrow left. Also Burrow probably knew the wheels were about to fall off Ohio State and Meyer would leave.

I mean Burrow made the best choice. Meyer never made a choice for starting QB so Burrow left. Also Burrow probably knew the wheels were about to fall off Ohio State and Meyer would leave.

I don't disagree with this Raider but it is an intriguing "what if".

IMO Burrows made the best choice for his future. I think NFL people are going to be very impressed with how he moved from Ohio State to LSU, won the starting QB job in an open competition and then very quickly became a leader on the LSU football team. These are some of the intangibles that the NFL likes in their QB's. Assuming Burrows continues to improve and has a solid season next year he will likely go anywhere from the late 1st round to early 3rd round in the 2020 draft.

In the limited duty that both Burrows and Martell saw, I thought Burrows showed some signs of the ability to play at a high level. I never saw that from Martell this year. But, it is really hard to project skills from team to team, from offense to offense, and looking at the surrounding players.
Haskins obviously had a great year at tOSU. I think tOSU could have had a great year as well with Martell as the qb - if - if they had implemented an offense to utilize his strengths (like they did for Miller and Barrett) instead of just using him for qb run plays.
I wish Martell the best, but I REALLY hope Fields turns out to be a good qb.

I was okay with having the best QB in Ohio State history as our starter. The only f**kup was to not start him a year earlier

I was okay with having the best QB in Ohio State history as our starter. The only f**kup was to not start him a year earlier

That's what makes this a fascinating discussion IMO MB. Haskins was without doubt the best QB in Ohio State history. But will we look back on the 2018 & 2109 seasons and conclude he was the best QB for Ohio State when compared to Burrow?

The college game is a different beast then the pro game with the potentially much shorter window for a QB to impact a program. And you point out an equally interesting debate point: should Meyer have started Haskins over Barret in 2017?

Tate Martell didn't even want to compete for the stating job? He even has to sit out a year now.

Tate will fit right in at Miami. Talks a big game but can’t seem to back it up. “Don’t swing and miss, especially not your second time ”

That's what makes this a fascinating discussion IMO MB. Haskins was without doubt the best QB in Ohio State history. But will we look back on the 2018 & 2109 seasons and conclude he was the best QB for Ohio State when compared to Burrow?

The college game is a different beast then the pro game with the potentially much shorter window for a QB to impact a program. And you point out an equally interesting debate point: should Meyer have started Haskins over Barret in 2017?

Both QB's are very good. Just sucks they both had to sit behind JT

Tate will fit right in at Miami. Talks a big game but can’t seem to back it up. “Don’t swing and miss, especially not your second time ”

How do you tweet something like this and then leave before you even have a chance to compete for the job. Fields hasn't had his waiver cleared yet to play next - what if they rule he still must sit out? Who do the Buckeyes turn to at QB? Martell wasn't the answer anyways but who do they have waiting in the wings if Fields isn't allowed to go?

How do you tweet something like this and then leave before you even have a chance to compete for the job. Fields hasn't had his waiver cleared yet to play next - what if they rule he still must sit out? Who do the Buckeyes turn to at QB? Martell wasn't the answer anyways but who do they have waiting in the wings if Fields isn't allowed to go?

That's of no concern to Martell now.

Tate Martell didn't even want to compete for the stating job? He even has to sit out a year now.
He is petitioning to not sit out a year, but no way he can use an excuse that will work.
Your HC leaving who recruited you wont do the trick

He is petitioning to not sit out a year, but no way he can use an excuse that will work.

He can say that a drunk student called him a bad name and he had to leave because of that.

He can say that a drunk student called him a bad name and he had to leave because of that.

He is white, right? I really dont know.
If so, nothing that can be said to him would justify the waiver.
Even though It hasn't gone through yet, there is no way the NCAA will not grant their new QB's waiver.

Given Fields is going to be eligible to play, yes OSU made the correct choice. Even if Fields never came and OSU started either Martell or Baldwin, they still made the correct choice.

Matt Baldwin who will be a redshirt freshman. There's rumors going around Martell might not have beaten out Baldwin, who has gotten rave reviews from teammates (but to be fair, so do a lot of guys who go on to do little). Baldwin was handpicked by Day to run his offense whereas Tate was a great fit for Urban's offense. I think it has more to do with Baldwin than it does Fields, but that's just my pure speculation take.

I do appreciate the way you approach things differently, and I think it’s okay to ask these types of questions and invite debate. I still very much disagree and I think we are asking the wrong question, ultimately. The real question is what could have been had Haskins been named the starter a year (or two) earlier? (Those years when we had a great defense and offensive line)

I do appreciate the way you approach things differently, and I think it’s okay to ask these types of questions and invite debate. I still very much disagree and I think we are asking the wrong question, ultimately. The real question is what could have been had Haskins been named the starter a year (or two) earlier? (Those years when we had a great defense and offensive line)

Thanks MB and this is a message board and we're in the off season so it seemed like a pretty good discussion point.

Actually your question about why Haskins didn't start in 2017 is one of the reasons I'm arguing that declaring Burrow the 2018 QB MIGHT have been the better OVERALL option. And it's not because I think Burrow is a better QB then Haskins but that Meyer would have been much more comfortable with Burrow running the offense. Hell maybe Meyer comes back for one more year with Burrow coming back?

That Meyer didn't insert Haskins into the starting line-up in 2017 was in part due to loyalty to Barret but mostly had to do with what skill set Meyer values in his QB's the most. I agree with you that Haskins was a much better passer then Barret and the Bucks would have had a better offense with him at the helm in 2017.

The reality is though that this question can't be answered until the end of the 2019 season after we've seen what Burrow has done at LSU in year 2 and how the Buckeyes QB situation resolves itself.

Given Fields is going to be eligible to play, yes OSU made the correct choice. Even if Fields never came and OSU started either Martell or Baldwin, they still made the correct choice.

I think we all have to wait to the end of the 2019 season to declare one way or another on this topic. The answer will depend on what Burrow does at LSU in year 2 and whether Fields does come to OSU; is cleared to play immediately and is actually any good. I know the kid has great POTENTIAL but there's a reason he wasn't starting at Georgia.

Actually a change in coaching should be all a kid needs to leave one program for another. I think the days of college football having a stranglehold on a kids freedom to market his services are on the way out.

If you let Fields be eligible immediately based on something that may or may not have happened then how do you deny Martel his freedom when the coach that recruited him for one skill set - dual threat QB with an emphasis on running - is replaced by a guy who may favor a completely different style of play?

I think we all have to wait to the end of the 2019 season to declare one way or another on this topic. The answer will depend on what Burrow does at LSU in year 2 and whether Fields does come to OSU; is cleared to play immediately and is actually any good. I know the kid has great POTENTIAL but there's a reason he wasn't starting at Georgia.

I disagree. What Haskins did this year makes what happens next year irrelevant when discussing the starting Haskins vs. Burrow debate. Passing up on the greatest passing season by an OSU QB for 2 average years with Burrow is the wrong choice. Look, Burrow wasn't even that good at LSU this past year. He threw less than 2,900 yards, 16 touchdowns and his completion percentage was 57.8%. Blame some of that on the offensive system and players around him but he still ranked 54th in passing yards, 86th in passing TDs and 79th in completion percentage in FBS football. He is a game manager with some mobility.

I personally think the biggest reasons he didn't start in Georgia are: the incumbent lead his team to a national title the previous year, the incumbent did not suffer an injury (the only reason Fromm started last year was Eason's injury), Fromm is pretty damn good himself, Fromm fits the offense better than Fields. It's no different than Haskins not starting over Barrett, minus the NC appearance.

Last edited:
Take a look at the advanced metrics of the LSU offense and Burrow. Any way you look at it he was very average but that was a big step up for LSU offensive standards.

This is 14red level....