Toledo Area Athletic Conference

Cardinal Stritch 24 - 4 9 - 1 State Final Four
Ottawa Hills 15 - 6 7 - 3
Maumee Valley Country Day 19 - 8 6 - 4 Regional Final
Toledo Christian 18 - 7 6 - 4 District Final
Emmanuel Christian 10 - 12 2 - 8
Northwood 5 - 18 0 - 10

59-25 .702 All teams combined in non-league games

Overall the league is down, but there are still several talented players.

Stritch - Need to get guys to buy into their role and everyone needs to play with max effort all the time
Ottawa Hills - Lost by one to Evergreen (good loss), but then Evergreen lost by 10 to Swanton
Maumee Valley - Lumsden could average about 20 and 15
Toledo Christian - Have been drilling teams including the defending D4 state runner up by 17
Emmanuel Christian - Have pretty much everyone back with 11 seniors from a team that went 8-4 in non-league games
Northwood - Have 3 of their better players back, but not much depth

Stritch and Toledo Christian have the "potential" to win district titles in their division. I could see them sharing the league title by splitting with each other and sweeping everyone else.

Last edited:

Couple more TAAC games of interest.

Springfield 59 MVCD 56 Not a bad showing. Springfield is very solid. To be honest I thought MVCD would struggle in this game.

Stritch 72 Waite 43 Kinda left that game thinking ehh, even with a 29 point win. Sloppy game overall. Foul shooting - hide the women and children. Jones broke his wrist trying to dunk in traffic, nothing dirty just let go of the rim at the wrong time. Stritch has a few talented freshman. Hightower 6'5" and long, gets off the ground easy, missed a two hand dunk driving down the lane. Not sure of the other name #20. Coach has his work cut out for him this year. May have to win ugly, but they will be tough by March.

The freshman Clark for Waite will be very good down the road.

Last edited:
Couple more TAAC games of interest.

Jones broke his wrist trying to dunk in traffic, nothing dirty just let go of the rim at the wrong time. \

Not sure if he actually got to the rim but most assuredly into the net, went horz and landing hands first. Truly broken or just hurt?

Not sure if he actually got to the rim but most assuredly into the net, went horz and landing hands first. Truly broken or just hurt?

Broken - out 6-8 weeks.

Big game Saturday. TC does a great job of exposing weaknesses.

Stritch needs to play with more maturity, better effort on defense and the backboard to overcome their lack of execution in the half court. Stritch's defensive effort while trapping out top is solid, but once the trap is broken they are not quick to recover and lose assignments. They have also struggled to finish at the rim and foul line. They have a long way to go getting everyone's head on straight with so many players trying to figure out where they fit.

As long a McWinnie doesn't get in foul trouble TC will control tempo.

I'll take TC by 5-7 this time and Stritch by 3 the 2nd time around.

Saw Stritch got it done last night against TC 60-50, I'll be looking for the replay on BCSN.

Wandered over to OHHS last night as a consolation(couldn't make it all the way to Lima to catch that game). Got a real barnburner over in Ottawa Hills. Emmanuel won 56-55 in triple OT. There were more EC fans than OH in the place, and the game was surprisingly entertaining. EC has very little size but between the PG Williams and the SG Sims, they had the best two players on the floor and did enough to get it done. Sims had 30 and absolutely torched OH. I can only imagine what Wilson at Stritch or McWhinnie at TC will do to OH, the perimeter defense was porous.

OH is not as big as they've been in the past and looked slower than they have over the past few years. Hard for me to think they will do a whole lot this year.

Saw Stritch got it done last night against TC 60-50, I'll be looking for the replay on BCSN.

Wandered over to OHHS last night as a consolation(couldn't make it all the way to Lima to catch that game). Got a real barnburner over in Ottawa Hills. Emmanuel won 56-55 in triple OT. There were more EC fans than OH in the place, and the game was surprisingly entertaining. EC has very little size but between the PG Williams and the SG Sims, they had the best two players on the floor and did enough to get it done. Sims had 30 and absolutely torched OH. I can only imagine what Wilson at Stritch or McWhinnie at TC will do to OH, the perimeter defense was porous.

OH is not as big as they've been in the past and looked slower than they have over the past few years. Hard for me to think they will do a whole lot this year.
Good luck finding it on BCSN. Their coverage has been really spotty so far this season.

Cardinal Stritch 3 - 0 7 - 3
Toledo Christian 2 - 1 7 - 1
Maumee Valley Country Day 2 - 1 5 - 6
Ottawa Hills 1 - 2 6 - 3
Emmanuel Christian 1 - 2 3 - 3
Northwood 0 - 3 3 - 6

Stritch has a 3-peat wrapped up with at least a share of the title, absent a miracle. TC is the only team in the league that somewhat matches up with them.

Stritch - Will need to defend better to make a run in the tournament. Also need to follow Holifield's lead. They do not seem as disciplined as in the past. 3 technical fouls and counting for one player. When do the fines kick in? Nice wins vs TC and North Royalton (10-1 D1 school in Cleveland area). Lost in OT to a Kentucky team that pushed Harvest Prep the day before.

Toledo Christian - Ranked 10th in the state in D4. Nice wins vs Berlin Hiland and neighborhood rival Bowsher, even if they are down. No shame in the loss to Stritch. Next year could be their year.

Maumee Valley - Just not very good this year with all the defections. Nice win vs Scott I guess.

Ottawa Hills - Nice win vs Pettisville and only lost to Evergreen by 1. Not sure how they do it, because they looked real bad on TV last night vs Stritch.

Emmanuel Christian - Good win for them vs Ottawa Hills and some competitive losses, which has not been the case for several years.

Northwood - On pace for their most wins in 15+ years at 3-6 currently. Is the 6'10" McDermit playing?

Last edited:
Cardinal Stritch 3 - 0 7 - 3
Toledo Christian 2 - 1 7 - 1
Maumee Valley Country Day 2 - 1 5 - 6
Ottawa Hills 1 - 2 6 - 3
Emmanuel Christian 1 - 2 3 - 3
Northwood 0 - 3 3 - 6

Stritch has a 3-peat wrapped up with at least a share of the title, absent a miracle. TC is the only team in the league that somewhat matches up with them.

Stritch - Will need to defend better to make a run in the tournament. Also need to follow Holifield's lead. They do not seem as disciplined as in the past. 3 technical fouls and counting for one player. When do the fines kick in? Nice wins vs TC and North Royalton (10-1 D1 school in Cleveland area). Lost in OT to a Kentucky team that pushed Harvest Prep the day before.

Toledo Christian - Ranked 10th in the state in D4. Nice wins vs Berlin Hiland and neighborhood rival Bowsher, even if they are down. No shame in the loss to Stritch. Next year could be their year.

Maumee Valley - Just not very good this year with all the defections. Nice win vs Scott I guess.

Ottawa Hills - Nice win vs Pettisville and only lost to Evergreen by 1. Not sure how they do it, because they looked real bad on TV last night vs Stritch.

Emmanuel Christian - Good win for them vs Ottawa Hills and some competitive losses, which has not been the case for several years.

Northwood - On pace for their most wins in 15+ years at 3-6 currently. Is the 6'10" McDermit playing?

The only way OH does it is because Lindsay....not sure there is a better coach who does more with less....His teams the last couple years would have been below .500 including this year. He will win 13-15 games with this crew...should be COY

Cardinal Stritch 5 - 0 11 - 3
Toledo Christian 4 - 1 11 - 1
Ottawa Hills 2 - 3 8 - 4
Maumee Valley Country Day 2 - 3 6 - 8
Emmanuel Christian 2 - 3 5 - 4
Northwood 0 - 5 3 - 9

After one time through the league it looks like Stritch has the title wrapped up, with TC fighting for a share of the title at home on the 31st.

There were a couple good wins for the TAAC this week.

Stritch beat a very solid Oak Harbor team (7-2) 79-72. Stritch has been putting up a lot of points, but struggle to defend vs decent teams.

TC beat an improved Liberty Benton team (10-5) 61-47.

MVCDS beating Bluffton (11-3) pretty easily 68-51 the day after losing 74-39 to Stritch is a surprise. Looking further into Bluffton's schedule and they had a competitive game with Ottawa Glandorf (47-41 loss).

Ottawa Hills beat Swanton 31-19, I hope someone was stalling.

Not a bad showing so far non-league 29-14 .674.

Last edited:
Cardinal Stritch 5 - 0 11 - 3
Toledo Christian 4 - 1 11 - 1
Ottawa Hills 2 - 3 8 - 4
Maumee Valley Country Day 2 - 3 6 - 8
Emmanuel Christian 2 - 3 5 - 4
Northwood 0 - 5 3 - 9

After one time through the league it looks like Stritch has the title wrapped up, with TC fighting for a share of the title at home on the 31st.

There were a couple good wins for the TAAC this week.

Stritch beat a very solid Oak Harbor team (7-2) 79-72. Stritch has been putting up a lot of points, but struggle to defend vs decent teams.

TC beat an improved Liberty Benton team (10-5) 61-47.

MVCDS beating Bluffton (11-3) pretty easily 68-51 the day after losing 74-39 to Stritch is a surprise. Looking further into Bluffton's schedule and they had a competitive game with Ottawa Glandorf (47-41 loss).

Ottawa Hills beat Swanton 31-19, I hope someone was stalling.

Not a bad showing so far non-league 29-14 .674.

If I heard right I think the Lumsden kid put up mid/high 20's against Bluffton. He only had a couple baskets against Stritch.

Would love to see a rematch with Toledo Christian now that Hawks have found there identity, after losing there star point guard, who was a four year starter for the Hawks,I bet they don't put up 74 points on them now, Hawks are only giving up on ave.37 a game now, I guess we get our chance at them next year when they come to Berlin in first game of the season

Would love to see a rematch with Toledo Christian now that Hawks have found there identity, after losing there star point guard, who was a four year starter for the Hawks,I bet they don't put up 74 points on them now, Hawks are only giving up on ave.37 a game now, I guess we get our chance at them next year when they come to Berlin in first game of the season

Should be a good game next season. I think TC only losses 1 senior. They don't look like much when they are warming up, but they are always tough once the ball is tipped off.

thats what my friends were telling me that went to the game,when you see TC on the floor in warm ups they didnt look that impressive,but there guard play was very impressive when the game started,we lose two seniors, and the one sr. is very good,well hope you guys can make to state, i know your in one of the toughest regionals of the four regionals in d4

thats what my friends were telling me that went to the game,when you see TC on the floor in warm ups they didnt look that impressive,but there guard play was very impressive when the game started,we lose two seniors, and the one sr. is very good,well hope you guys can make to state, i know your in one of the toughest regionals of the four regionals in d4

I am not a TC fan, but would like to see them make it down to Cbus.

My son played for Stritch. Last year's run to the state final 4 was a blast for everyone involved.

Cardinal Stritch 6 - 0 12 - 3
Toledo Christian 5 - 1 13 - 2
Ottawa Hills 3 - 3 10 - 4
Emmanuel Christian 2 - 4 7 - 6
Maumee Valley Country Day 2 - 4 7 - 9
Northwood 0 - 6 3 - 12

Stritch playing for their 3rd outright TAAC title in a row, TC fighting for a share. I wouldn't bet money one way or the other, but I know McWinnie will look like he just came out of a sauna about 2:00 minutes into the game.

Emmanuel Christian/Ottawa Hills game should be interesting. EC won in triple OT last time. EC looking to finish in the top half of the league for the 1st time in a long time.

Exciting game between TC/Stritch.

Stritch pushed the lead to 10 a couple times and TC fought back each time. A couple missed free throws when Stritch was trying to ice the game and a banked 3 at the buzzer won it for TC.

99.999% chance that they will share the title.

Stritch doesn’t have any bigs. The three 6’3”+ kids they have didn’t play against TC. That coupled with a defense that isn’t near what it’s been the last few years makes them vulnerable.

Ottawa Hills 57
Stritch 52

Wow.

Watched on BCSN. I am absolutely dumbfounded. OH has no business beating CS but they did it.

Stritch appears to have some real identity problems at the moment. Holifield is mature and good obviously but it looks as if the Cardinals have lost all concept of team and continuity. It almost appears as if Holifield cannot wait to get to Oakland and I would not really blame him. Stritch has zero post presence. OH battered them on the glass with a 6'3" 165 post player. Many times you see four guys standing around the 3 point arc watching one guy do his thing. The PG (Wilson) has some really nice skill but he needs reigned in. He has a nice shot but has zero filter. As the game wound down I saw some finger pointing and arguing (losers code). Defense is even worse. Stritch has the best athletes in the TAAC and they lose their guys. How many back-doors did OH get away with? Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me 5 or 6 times fire someone. Last years team was obviously more talented and had more size but they had some great team players that are obviously missed.

For all of the great Coaching McWhinnie does, and he is extremely good, Lindsey at OH takes a back seat to no one. I'd really like to see both of these guys coach some real high end talent some day (nothing against the kids they have or have had).

Watched on BCSN. I am absolutely dumbfounded. OH has no business beating CS but they did it.

Stritch appears to have some real identity problems at the moment. Holifield is mature and good obviously but it looks as if the Cardinals have lost all concept of team and continuity. It almost appears as if Holifield cannot wait to get to Oakland and I would not really blame him. Stritch has zero post presence. OH battered them on the glass with a 6'3" 165 post player. Many times you see four guys standing around the 3 point arc watching one guy do his thing. The PG (Wilson) has some really nice skill but he needs reigned in. He has a nice shot but has zero filter. As the game wound down I saw some finger pointing and arguing (losers code). Defense is even worse. Stritch has the best athletes in the TAAC and they lose their guys. How many back-doors did OH get away with? Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me 5 or 6 times fire someone. Last years team was obviously more talented and had more size but they had some great team players that are obviously missed.

For all of the great Coaching McWhinnie does, and he is extremely good, Lindsey at OH takes a back seat to no one. I'd really like to see both of these guys coach some real high end talent some day (nothing against the kids they have or have had).

Holifield is a smart kid/player who understands the game, the effort and the teamwork it takes to be successful. He may be looking forward to Oakland, but it has not impacted his defensive effort. On the offensive end he is averaging 22+ ppg while shooting efficiently. I am sure he is frustrated with the lack of discipline, toughness and team play that this team shows. Last year's team had 3 guys scoring 13-14 ppg who all could have scored 20+ ppg and 3 other guys who could have scored 10+ ppg, but for the most part they all put their egos in check for the betterment of the team. This year.....not so much. At times it looks like bad open gym ball and if I am not mistaken in all 5 games that they lost they had the lead with under 5:00 min. to go in the 4th. So they are close.

The Ottawa Hills loss was just flat out terrible and a 30+ point swing from the 1st game. Ottawa Hills has been running the same 2 plays for 20 years (backdoor cut and back screen lob). Like you said it is ok to get beat back door one time, after that you should have a feel for them trying to set you up. A coach can remind them, but the players are old enough and have seen it enough to not allow it to repeatedly happen. So that is on the players.

Defense - You hear about their quickness, but they struggle to keep guys in front or turn them to keep the ball out of the lane. Rotation is slow, no one protecting the rim, not getting on the floor for 50/50 balls and I am not sure I have seen a charge taken by someone stepping in and taking it in the chest. Might get a charge from an on the ball push off, but not from rotation. They look like a bunch of guys who don't have trust in each other and have not gelled. Which made sense early, because of all the new guys in the program, but it seems like they take a step forward and then two steps backwards.

Coach Kachmarik's strengths are media/social media, organization, making basketball important to the school and community, motivating guys to work.

Stritch has not been great at making adjustments or with x's and o's because they are stubborn to a fault. They have run the exact same stuff for 5-6 years. With that said I am pretty sure last year's team shot over 45% from 3, over 55% from 2, 75% from the foul line and only had 7-8 turnovers per game. So while I would love to see more variety in their offense it is tough to argue with the numbers. Heck, they had a shot to tie the game last year in the final 4 with 20 seconds to go vs Lutheran East. That same Lutheran East team (minus their best player) who had 3 D1 and 1 D2 guy, just beat one of the top teams in the state in Akron St. Vincent St. Marys.

I would love to see them run an offense like Archbold, Ottawa Glandorf or even Toledo Christian where all 5 guys have the green light, are equally developed and a threat to score, but the dribble drive offense has worked for the most part, with the exception of when they fell in love with the 3 and made the game a horse competition instead of using their superior overall talent to beat lesser teams on their schedule.

There was/is the potential for an improvement in the x's and o's, but who am I to argue with the results/outcome. He is a smart guy and probably has hundreds of plays, but may choose to keep it simple because every basket is only worth 2 or 3 points regardless of how pretty the play. They have been pretty darn good running that basic/simple offense the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Holifield is a smart kid/player who understands the game, the effort and the teamwork it takes to be successful. He may be looking forward to Oakland, but it has not impacted his defensive effort. On the offensive end he is averaging 22+ ppg while shooting efficiently. I am sure he is frustrated with the lack of discipline, toughness and team play that this team shows. Last year's team had 3 guys scoring 13-14 ppg who all could have scored 20+ ppg and 3 other guys who could have scored 10+ ppg, but for the most part they all put their egos in check for the betterment of the team. This year.....not so much. At times it looks like bad open gym ball and if I am not mistaken in all 5 games that they lost they had the lead with under 5:00 min. to go in the 4th. So they are close.

The Ottawa Hills loss was just flat out terrible and a 30+ point swing from the 1st game. Ottawa Hills has been running the same 2 plays for 20 years (backdoor cut and back screen lob). Like you said it is ok to get beat back door one time, after that you should have a feel for them trying to set you up. A coach can remind them, but the players are old enough and have seen it enough to not allow it to repeatedly happen.

Defense - You hear about their quickness, but they struggle to keep guys in front or turn them to keep the ball out of the lane. Rotation is slow, no one protecting the rim, not getting on the floor for 50/50 balls and I am not sure I have seen a charge taken by someone stepping in and taking it in the chest. Might get a charge from an on the ball push off, but not from rotation. They look like a bunch of guys who don't have trust in each other and have not gelled. Which made sense early, because of all the new guys in the program, but it seems like they are going backwards.

Coach Kachmarik's strengths are media/social media, organization, making basketball important to the school and community, motivating guys to work.

I want to say he is not great at making adjustments and x's and o's because he is stubborn to a fault in that he has run the exact same stuff for 5-6 years. With that said I am pretty sure last year's team shot over 45% from 3, over 55% from 2, 75% from the foul line and only had 7-8 turnovers per game. So while I would love to see more variety in their offense it is tough to argue with the numbers. Heck, they had a shot to tie the game last year in the final 4 with 20 seconds to go vs Lutheran East. That same Lutheran East team (minus their best player) who had 3 D1 and 1 D2 guy just beat one of the top teams in the state in Akron St. Vincent St. Marys.

So for me coming from having watched a ton of Stritch games, I would love to see them run an offense like Archbold, Ottawa Glandorf or even Toledo Christian where all 5 guys have the green light, are equally developed and a threat to score, but the dribble drive offense has worked for the most part in the past with the exception of when they fell in love with the 3 and made the game a horse competition instead of using their superior overall talent to beat mostly inferior talent on their schedule.

What I am saying is I think there was/is the potential for an improvement in the x's and o's, but who am I to argue with the results/outcome. They have been pretty darn good and sometimes basic and simple is good especially at the high school level.

you missed one of Kachmiraks biggest strenghts.....RECRUITING! sometimes you teams gel when you recruit sometimes they don't.....this team is not!

Flat out, outcoached by Lindsay, he shouldn't feel bad, Lindsay does it to alot of people, just don't see it much when a team gets beat by 30 the first time!

Go check this thread out!

I see TC won 63-49 in the rematch. How would you compare them to last year if you were able to watch the game.

TC isn't real deep, but should be better than last year with all their top guys being seniors. I read they knocked off Toledo St. Francis in a foundation game and Toledo Central Catholic in a scrimmage.