SyFy's New Series "The Expanse"

Episode 3 was very good and the story is starting to gather momentum big time. But I have to ask is anyone else watching this show?

Back by popular demand (okay only 1 person asked) the Expanse Thread!

Season 2 is kicking butt and taking names. The story is hurtling along at breakneck speed (The Walking Dead writers could learn something watching this show) and firing on all cylinders IMO.

If you haven't watched this show yet, it will take you watching the first FOUR episodes of season 1 to get hooked. They throw a lot of characters at you and they assume you've read the books. But once you get to know the lead people in the show the story starts to fall into place.

I'm also halfway through the sixth book in the series "Babylon's Ashes" which is quit good so they have enough material to go a few more years if the series can draw enough ratings.

Episode 3 was very good and the story is starting to gather momentum big time. But I have to ask is anyone else watching this show?

I'm watching this show but I'm two episodes behind right now due to switching cable providers (and losing what I DVR'd).

So I'm not reading your most recent post to avoid potential spoilers.

This show has definitely picked up. It was slowly building and when Eros started moving, it made the show that much more interesting. I'll probably watch the March 1st episode tomorrow night and then the March 8th in a couple of days. Then I will be able to read this thread and contribute more frequently.

Who DOESN'T look forward to dinner? As soon as I see them heading towards the kitchen, I know there's going to be some fun.

Yes the problems was first season, too much time trying to set up characters and too long getting around to what the heck was going on. I'll probably rewatch Season I, maybe it wasn't as slow as it felt. Now for sure, it's break neck and the visuals are outstanding. Best space battle ever.

I still do not like the lead though. He's dull, hard to see why anyone would look to him to lead. Just don't like the actor-character match. Amos' story however can't come fast enough and the play between him and Alex is the best part of the show (for me). The part I don't get, they brought in those Martians marines and just seemed to have dropped the ball, with a little exception at the end of last ep.

The funny part (spoilers avoided), I fell asleep during the episode on EROS, woke just at the end and go WHAT!!! I've watched the most recent, one of the best episodes in all quarters yet, politics, factions, fighting, relationships.... and still have to go watch that bit I slept through.

Who DOESN'T look forward to dinner? As soon as I see them heading towards the kitchen, I know there's going to be some fun.

Yes the problems was first season, too much time trying to set up characters and too long getting around to what the heck was going on. I'll probably rewatch Season I, maybe it wasn't as slow as it felt. Now for sure, it's break neck and the visuals are outstanding. Best space battle ever.

I still do not like the lead though. He's dull, hard to see why anyone would look to him to lead. Just don't like the actor-character match. Amos' story however can't come fast enough and the play between him and Alex is the best part of the show (for me). The part I don't get, they brought in those Martians marines and just seemed to have dropped the ball, with a little exception at the end of last ep.

The funny part (spoilers avoided), I fell asleep during the episode on EROS, woke just at the end and go WHAT!!! I've watched the most recent, one of the best episodes in all quarters yet, politics, factions, fighting, relationships.... and still have to go watch that bit I slept through.

As the moral authority Holden is fated to be a bit dull throughout the series. I agree that the Amos/Alex interactions are funny as hell and represent the heart of the show. Like when the two are in a bar at Tycho Station and Amos tells Alex that he's "staying next door" and Alex looks at him funny and says "but that's a brothel" and Amos gives nonchalantly replies "yea I know".

The roles of both Amos & Alex grow as the books go on until they're equal to Holden & Naomi. The Martian Marine Bobby Draper will become a critical character and the events on Ganymede will be very important to the story going forward.

Amos/Alex interactions are funny as hell and represent the heart of the show. Like when the two are in a bar at Tycho Station and Amos tells Alex that he's "staying next door" and Alex looks at him funny and says "but that's a brothel" and Amos gives nonchalantly replies "yea I know".

The way Amos dead panned it had me rolling. Both actors nailing it, even tougher for Alex/Anvar playing a "Texan." Goes so much against the vision in the head of a "Texan."

Last nights episode reminded us of just how hard & ruthless Belters can be. This was also the episode where we meet the Botanist "Prax" from Ganymede. He will play a big role in upcoming episodes.

And again for all the action taking place in season 2 this TV show has barely scratched the service of events to come. Like I've said before the scope of the "Expanse" just keeps on expanding!

The last five minutes are gold. They've reached Babylon 5 levels for depicting life in general. Alex' scene with the photograph, seeing THROUGH the photograph was pure genius. Amos also had a scene steal.

The two leads though, continue to lack any chemistry. That relationship just hadn't gelled for me and it's mostly on the lead. I can't recall a scene he's been in that that I felt "real" or emotional.

As for the plot in general: No way Miller is "dead," things are moving perfectly fast and the right guys got a bullet in the brain from the right person in the right manner. Enjoyed that.

How about that death in space scene? Saw it coming but wow.

The last five minutes are gold. They've reached Babylon 5 levels for depicting life in general. Alex' scene with the photograph, seeing THROUGH the photograph was pure genius. Amos also had a scene steal.

The two leads though, continue to lack any chemistry. That relationship just hadn't gelled for me and it's mostly on the lead. I can't recall a scene he's been in that that I felt "real" or emotional.

As for the plot in general: No way Miller is "dead," things are moving perfectly fast and the right guys got a bullet in the brain from the right person in the right manner. Enjoyed that.

How about that death in space scene? Saw it coming but wow.

That was the best depiction of a death in hard vacuum I have seen. Not spectacularly gory but subtly disturbing. The way shes moving her mouth in a silent scream is chilling. The belters are hard core that's for sure.

The scene in which Fred's security chief shoots the two guys in the head after they retook Tyko Station's bridge was brilliant. She's one tough lady and it was in keeping with the ruthless belter response when you cross them.

Wife and I just started watching this show. 4 episodes in and we are hooked.

The middle to end of episode four (where the Martian ship is being attacked and boarded) reminded me 100% of the Pillar of Autumn first level of the original Halo campaign.

I'm one episode behind right now until tonight's episode airs. Hopefully will catch up by the weekend.

Definitely faster paced this season than last season.

First season did drag but with the faster paced plotting and characterization of Season 2, I imagine Season 1 will be very interesting on rewatch.

Pillar of Autumn: Oh yeah, it does. Space battles in Season 2 are as good as anything in a movie, my opinion. If I ever upgrade past having to watch episodes on a laptop, I look forward to a full sound, big screen experience.

I'm still a week behind but I like that the show is really moving along. A couple of the characters are starting to evolve but I think that Amos is the best character at this point. Hopefully they don't send him off the deep end. It's refreshing to watch him tell someone how it really is.

I'm still a week behind but I like that the show is really moving along. A couple of the characters are starting to evolve but I think that Amos is the best character at this point. Hopefully they don't send him off the deep end. It's refreshing to watch him tell someone how it really is.

The amazing thing Yappi is there's so much more to come. They have barely scratched the surface of the story of the proto-molecule and its impact on the solar system.

Also I just heard that SciFi has renewed the Expanse for a 3rd season!

Here's a list of the "best" science fiction currently on TV. Note that the Expanse was chosen NUMBER ONE.

Actually the list is very solid and IMO the Expanse is the best science fiction on TV and that Colony is also very good and underrated.

I think you forgot the link? Colony, I wouldn't put near in the same category. It's maybe after a season and a half finding some legs.

Just finished my rewatch of Season One of The Expanse. Most of my original "complaints," still valid. Dramatic scenes awkwardly forced or played out meme worthy.... and the lead, just doesn't have any charisma that would seem leadership worthy and has NO chem with his second but now for the good, I mean the really good.

It is packed. Rewatch, there were little things, off the cuff at the time comments that set up very important characterizations and plot points later. This is show that will age well and each season well worth a rewatch as the next season unfolds..

No two characters seem as if they were written by the same person, each has a different "voice" but often within a very well defined culture, based upon personal history. Their actors get to act. Even the one-offs get a chance to show their chops and they rarely over do it. The pilot who lost her husband, the spaced lady, the man who lost his boy.... As far as leads: we've mention Amos and Alex, but what did you all think of the actor playing Bobbie, when she saw the ocean? I could rewatch that scene many times and probably always see something new.

Continuity though the seasons I already mentioned but even little things: make the show so intelligent. Two that come to mind: Ganymede just before the marines are attacked, in the dome on the horizon there's something I hadn't noticed on first watch but which became a terrific continuity point two shows later. After Bobbie put the hurt on the jerk, next scene show her leaving the room and she gives her hand a little shake. Nothing demonstrative but it totally keeps the scenes connected and adds a little humor. Another Bobbie moment ( I think I'm going to like this character ), when she gets to the lounge on Mao's ship. Even better, no one makes a deal, they just ignore her.

Game of Thrones and Babylon 5 world and character building level, easily.

I think you forgot the link? Colony, I wouldn't put near in the same category. It's maybe after a season and a half finding some legs.

Just finished my rewatch of Season One of The Expanse. Most of my original "complaints," still valid. Dramatic scenes awkwardly forced or played out meme worthy.... and the lead, just doesn't have any charisma that would seem leadership worthy and has NO chem with his second but now for the good, I mean the really good.

It is packed. Rewatch, there were little things, off the cuff at the time comments that set up very important characterizations and plot points later. This is show that will age well and each season well worth a rewatch as the next season unfolds..

No two characters seem as if they were written by the same person, each has a different "voice" but often within a very well defined culture, based upon personal history. Their actors get to act. Even the one-offs get a chance to show their chops and they rarely over do it. The pilot who lost her husband, the spaced lady, the man who lost his boy.... As far as leads: we've mention Amos and Alex, but what did you all think of the actor playing Bobbie, when she saw the ocean? I could rewatch that scene many times and probably always see something new.

Continuity though the seasons I already mentioned but even little things: make the show so intelligent. Two that come to mind: Ganymede just before the marines are attacked, in the dome on the horizon there's something I hadn't noticed on first watch but which became a terrific continuity point two shows later. After Bobbie put the hurt on the jerk, next scene show her leaving the room and she gives her hand a little shake. Nothing demonstrative but it totally keeps the scenes connected and adds a little humor. Another Bobbie moment ( I think I'm going to like this character ), when she gets to the lounge on Mao's ship. Even better, no one makes a deal, they just ignore her.

Game of Thrones and Babylon 5 world and character building level, easily.

In the books Bobbie, Amos and Fred are my favorite characters and so far the TV series is depicting them well. I love how on Mao's ship Bobbie acts like a typical marine thrown into the world of high stakes negotiation - she starts chowing down on the hors d'oeuvres while everyone else is ignoring them. You just can't pass up free food!

As an aside, Holden, as the flawed "moral" center of the show is kind of a thankless character in the books to. You need him to occupy the crucial role of naive "do gooder" to help propel events along. That he ends up making things worse is part of the narrative.

As an aside, Holden, as the flawed "moral" center of the show is kind of a thankless character in the books to. You need him to occupy the crucial role of naive "do gooder" to help propel events along. That he ends up making things worse is part of the narrative.

"Holden?" I never mentioned having a problem with Holden. They're maybe over-doing the Captain Ahab thing a bit, but I can see they at least tried to make it credible. It's the actor I'm not impressed by.

I'm now through episode 10 of season 2, so only two episodes behind. Unlike others, I did not find the first couple episodes of the series to drag at all. We were pretty much hooked from the start.

I do agree that the lead character (Holden) is kind of lame. His moralistic brooding and constantly trying to blame himself for everything has grown wearisome. I like most of the other characters though. Amos and Alex are good, Fred Johnson is good, the politicians are entertaining, and Miller is (was) awesome. I didn't like Avasarala at first but she (and her mouth) have grown on me

I'm now through episode 10 of season 2, so only two episodes behind. Unlike others, I did not find the first couple episodes of the series to drag at all. We were pretty much hooked from the start.

I do agree that the lead character (Holden) is kind of lame. His moralistic brooding and constantly trying to blame himself for everything has grown wearisome. I like most of the other characters though. Amos and Alex are good, Fred Johnson is good, the politicians are entertaining, and Miller is (was) awesome. I didn't like Avasarala at first but she (and her mouth) have grown on me

She's a great character and the actress they have fits her book persona perfectly. BTW, in the books she's a hoot and pretty much refers to Holden as "Jim F###ing Holden" all the time. Their relationship actually is funny as you have her amorality matching up against Holden's naive morality with BOTH having the best interests of the human race at heart.

"Holden?" I never mentioned having a problem with Holden. They're maybe over-doing the Captain Ahab thing a bit, but I can see they at least tried to make it credible. It's the actor I'm not impressed by.

I agree with you that he's probably not the best guy for the part though he's improved in season 2. My sense is that based on his book character it would have been a tough job for any actor to pull off. On the other characters though they nailed it.

Unfortunately last ep kind of landed with a thud. I think the problem was pacing, they had shown so much already, they needed a bunch of over-stretched dialogue to fill the hour. More forced drama (pinning to the wall, monster who can tear through shielding can't clear a couple pipes....) with the only point to pretend there was a reason for more... dialogue. Another case of fake suspense using too blatant and unsupported misdirection, last ep the suicide, this ep the proto, both so they can say "gotcha" with the last scene. Last ep, handing Meng a gun (yeah, no one saw the result of that coming) and this handing him a nuke. It's old already.

Good story, poor execution.

Of the cliffhangers, I think the one at Venus was probably my favorite but I think they should have at least hinted that something of Julie and Miller survive, because only the most jaded believe they didn't.

Last edited:
^ agreed with the above. Love the series overall but the last episode of season 2 was very disappointing. Ending on some contrived "epic" speech/lecture from Naomi was really bad. I had no interest in their story the whole episode. Pretty much only wanted to see what was happening on Venus and with Avasarala and Bobby on Mao's ship

I agree with both of you on how they wrapped up an otherwise great season with a mediocre finale. It could have benefited from either extending the episode 30 minutes or cutting back the creature on the Roci scenes. In the book they didn't drag it out with the prolonged "digging" by the creature or the angst between Naomi & Jim. It was more along the line of: "sh!! there's a monster on board going for the reactor let's kill it or get it off the ship".

Also Naomi's speech on human beings and weapons didn't ring true. As I recall she gave the proto molecule to Fred for purely tribal reasons: the earth & mars had it so the belt needed it to. I don't recall her being so "high minded". The second half of her speech is all they needed.

They also picked a strange place to end the 2nd season IMO. I don't want to give out any spoilers for those who haven't read the books but they needed another couple of episodes to find a better stopping point.

Just using the intelligence of the viewer, something they can't seem to hit a middle road on, they could have gotten all that philosophical stuff across without the long poorly delivered dialogue. Much more was accomplished with the Venus scene and the smile that came across the Scientist's face. What I suppose based upon reviews I've read, the dialogue was trying to get across, that all three ending scenes were connected, all the proto is connected. They really failed to depict what seems to be the whole point.

I'm supposing there is a conflict between what humans are trying to do with the proto and the proto's self determination but that supposition isn't from reviews, that's me guessing.