SWOWCA Coaches Classic --- Cancelled

WGTJ

Active member
My guess is gym capacity. Don't expect bigger than 8 team tournaments this season. This is my educated guess based on some conversations. Big tournaments just aren't going to happen.

It will be interesting to see how they do the state series too.
 

MitSulHer

Well-known member
For state........how bout different venues for D1, D2, and D3? Schott for one div, St.John for another div and another location for the third div.

Or Thurs run D3 all the way thur, Fri run all D2, and Sat run all D1?
 

Jim Behrens

Active member
For state........how bout different venues for D1, D2, and D3? Schott for one div, St.John for another div and another location for the third div.

Or Thurs run D3 all the way thur, Fri run all D2, and Sat run all D1?

For the first idea, cost is the reason it won't be done. Renting three facilities would cost a fortune (if it could even be done).

Second idea, you have obviously never been a worker at an event like this. About 10 years ago, our District meet at Mentor was cancelled on Friday (due to a blizzard) so everything except the finals was run on Saturday. I don't EVER want to do that again. The day would be stupid long and then you get to do it two more times??
On top of that, the 5 match limit would not permit it.
 

WGTJ

Active member
For the first idea, cost is the reason it won't be done. Renting three facilities would cost a fortune (if it could even be done).

Second idea, you have obviously never been a worker at an event like this. About 10 years ago, our District meet at Mentor was cancelled on Friday (due to a blizzard) so everything except the finals was run on Saturday. I don't EVER want to do that again. The day would be stupid long and then you get to do it two more times??
On top of that, the 5 match limit would not permit it.
I think it would be more likely that they would use 3 different venues, but use HS facilities that have large venues so the cost wouldn't be as large.
 

MitSulHer

Well-known member
For the first idea, cost is the reason it won't be done. Renting three facilities would cost a fortune (if it could even be done).

Second idea, you have obviously never been a worker at an event like this. About 10 years ago, our District meet at Mentor was cancelled on Friday (due to a blizzard) so everything except the finals was run on Saturday. I don't EVER want to do that again. The day would be stupid long and then you get to do it two more times??
On top of that, the 5 match limit would not permit it.
All valid points. Just trying to think of ideas ,or ways, it could happen if all three Div's cannot be together.

I bet you did not have 10 mats at Mentor ten years ago. But no doubt it will be hard on all. 2020/2021 may require a lot out of the box thinking.
 

Campolongo

Moderator
Unfortunately, a number of reasons. Our tournament is much different than a school's event as we are hoping to use someone else's facility and someone else's people to conduct the event. When considering that the association needs to hope the host school allows us in the door, hope our volunteer athletic trainers from an outside agency will (and are permitted) to attend, and we accumulate enough volunteers to work, it's a risk to move forward.

The biggest risk for the association is the risk of financial loss. We rely heavily on this event to provide scholarships to our graduating seniors. With that, we absolutely cannot take a loss. IF (and it's a big IF) we were permitted to hold the event to say 20 schools, we would need to ensure each participating school that they could drop out due to COVID without penalty and that school would obviously not pay an entry fee. If we put in the necessary finances to fund the event and have schools drop off last minute, we are left praying a school will jump in, or taking a financial loss.

One of the worst things I've had to do was sending the cancelation email to schools. And before anyone asks or suggests, this was a late cancelation, not an early one. We need to ensure each school the decision made so they can adjust their schedules accordingly. It was important to do this no later than when we did.



Joe Campolongo
Tournament Director
 

Coach Root

Well-known member
Unfortunately, a number of reasons. Our tournament is much different than a school's event as we are hoping to use someone else's facility and someone else's people to conduct the event. When considering that the association needs to hope the host school allows us in the door, hope our volunteer athletic trainers from an outside agency will (and are permitted) to attend, and we accumulate enough volunteers to work, it's a risk to move forward.

The biggest risk for the association is the risk of financial loss. We rely heavily on this event to provide scholarships to our graduating seniors. With that, we absolutely cannot take a loss. IF (and it's a big IF) we were permitted to hold the event to say 20 schools, we would need to ensure each participating school that they could drop out due to COVID without penalty and that school would obviously not pay an entry fee. If we put in the necessary finances to fund the event and have schools drop off last minute, we are left praying a school will jump in, or taking a financial loss.

One of the worst things I've had to do was sending the cancelation email to schools. And before anyone asks or suggests, this was a late cancelation, not an early one. We need to ensure each school the decision made so they can adjust their schedules accordingly. It was important to do this no later than when we did.



Joe Campolongo
Tournament Director
Well said.
 
.
Top