Sweet 16 Picks

soccerboy08

Not sure where the other thread went but here are my picks (though some are guesses).

Division I
Region 1
No. 7 Medina (15-2-2)
vs. No. 8 (tie) Massillon Jackson (13-2-3) 2-1
Mayfield (13-4-3) vs. No. 5 Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit (16-0-3) 4-0

Region 2
Berea-Midpark (16-3-0) vs. No. 3 Strongsville (15-2-2) 3-0
Oregon Clay (13-6-2) vs. No. 2 Whitehouse Anthony Wayne (19-0-0) 1-0

Region 3
No. 8 (tie) Dublin Coffman (16-5-1)
vs. Westerville North (14-3-1) 3-1
Marysville (18-2-3)
vs. No. 12 Lewis Center Olentangy Orange (17-2-4) 1-0

Region 4
No. 4 West Chester Lakota West (18-0-2)
vs. Cincinnati Seton (17-3-2) 3-0
Loveland (15-3-0) vs. No. 1 Beavercreek m (19-0-0) 2-0

Division II
Region 5
No. 4 Canfield (15-2-0)
vs. Chagrin Falls (16-2-1) 2-1
Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (11-7-1) vs. No. 3 Copley (14-4-1) 2-0

Region 6
No. 2 Mansfield Madison Comprehensive (15-1-4)
vs. Rocky River (11-6-1) 3-0
No. 15 Celina (15-2-4)
vs. Oak Harbor (13-4-1) 4-1

Region 7

No. 12 Lancaster Fairfield Union (18-2-0) vs. No. 14 Granville (11-4-5) 3-1
Creston Norwayne (15-4-0) vs. Dover (13-4-3) 2-1

Region 8
Tipp City Tippecanoe (11-4-4)
vs No. 6 Monroe (19-0-0) 3-2
No. 1 Kettering Archbishop Alter (18-1-1)
vs. Dayton Oakwood (12-6-1) 5-0

Division III
Region 9
No. 4 Kirtland (15-4-0)
vs. No. 15 Doylestown Chippewa (16-2-1) 4-2
Independence (13-3-3)
vs. Warren John F. Kennedy (11-7-0) 2-1

Region 10
Archbold (15-1-3)
vs. Spencerville (16-3-0) 4-0
No. 11 Findlay Liberty-Benton (17-1-1) vs. No. 3 Pemberville Eastwood (20-0-0) 1-0

Region 11
No. 8 Gahanna Columbus Academy (14-3-2)
vs. Lynchburg-Clay (14-2-3) 3-1
New Middletown Springfield (18-1-0)
vs. Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans (9-7-2) 2-1

Region 12
No. 13 Cincinnati Madeira (14-8-4) vs. No. 9 Cincinnati Mariemont (10-3-6) 1-0
No. 1 Cincinnati Country Day (16-0-2)
vs. No. 2 Sidney Lehman Catholic (11-1-2) 5-0

The reffing in high school soccer has to get better - when even the announcers broadcasting the game are commenting how bad the fouls are - it must be bad! Someone needs to hold the refs accountable for letting girls/guy just get beat down on the field! They are supposed to be there to control the game! If they can’t make the calls they shouldn’t be reffing big games!

West 5
Seton 2

West was up 4-0 at the half so they must have had a really sloppy 2nd half to give up 2. They'll need to tighten up that defense if they want to contend for the state title.

Kickball, body-checking and corner kick goals prevail over skill and possession. Too bad HS soccer is like this.
I agree about kickball and "body checking" though I'm not quite sure what you mean by body checking. I assume that you are referencing physicality that is above what is usual. Remember, soccer is a contact sport. As to corner kick goals - it's part of the game. Too many teams are weak on corner kicks. The conversion rate on corner kicks for most teams is much lower than it should be.

West 5
Seton 2

West was up 4-0 at the half so they must have had a really sloppy 2nd half to give up 2. They'll need to tighten up that defense if they want to contend for the state title.

I agree about kickball and "body checking" though I'm not quite sure what you mean by body checking. I assume that you are referencing physicality that is above what is usual. Remember, soccer is a contact sport. As to corner kick goals - it's part of the game. Too many teams are weak on corner kicks. The conversion rate on corner kicks for most teams is much lower than it should be.

By body-checking I mean the intentional coaching of players to play the man instead of the ball, get in a cheap shot after the ball is played away, and intentionally running through the player. The right back for Loveland, CM, does this every play. Should have been carded in the Mason game. Last year's star, BH, did this every time she challenged for the ball. Just cheap shots. This is not "part of the game" as many say. I always wonder why it is allowed in HS soccer but in the pros it would be a yellow or even a red. Shouldn't the rules for physical play be more stringent for kids? Do that in the EPL an you are on the sidelines.

IMO, while corners are legit goals, I am referring to a goal in the run of play being, well, more skillful. Just my opinion.. Loveland's strategy is often kick the ball long, have your fast winger (KA) take it to the byline, and win a corner. On the corner crash the goal with bodies crashing into each other, concussions be dammed, and plow your way to a goal. Not much skill in that.

I have only watched 2 of West's games but I think that coach is very aggressive on offense and takes chances with her defense. Maybe that is her strategy with her players. I think if Beavercreek would have won then West would be in trouble due to Beavercreek's emphasis on defense. I have more confidence against Loveland because I think West is more skilled. But West could get burned by quick strikes again.

Last edited:
The reffing in high school soccer has to get better - when even the announcers broadcasting the game are commenting how bad the fouls are - it must be bad! Someone needs to hold the refs accountable for letting girls/guy just get beat down on the field! They are supposed to be there to control the game! If they can’t make the calls they shouldn’t be reffing big games!

I am not so sure the reffing is "bad", but I do think that many refs, when they do HS games, seem to thing that well, this is HS soccer, so I am going to let the players play overly physical. As opposed to those same refs doing a club game and calling it differently. In fact, I have seen the same ref doing a HS and a club game and calling a much different game. We have to redefine the game at the HS level to reward skill instead of physical play. Otherwise, coaches and players will continue to rely on overly physical play, because unfortunately, it wins games.

West 5
Seton 2

West changed keepers at half and had to play with 10 players the whole half due to a red card.

I have only watched 2 of West's games but I think that coach is very aggressive on offense and takes chances with her defense. Maybe that is her strategy with her players. I think if Beavercreek would have won then West would be in trouble due to Beavercreek's emphasis on defense. I have more confidence against Loveland because I think West is more skilled. But West could get burned by quick strikes again.
Creek probably wouldn’t have made it out of the SW. Beavercreek’s GK was exposed last night. All three goals probably get saved by the keeper they had last year. Going into this season everyone knew that she was their weak link but Creek’s midfield and defense has been so good in regular season she’s only had to make very few tough saves. Credit to Loveland for generating good shots, but the keeper would not make any starting lineups in club. I’m not sure if she plays club soccer. Creek’s main weapon DB is moved around depending on what they need - goals she goes up top, game control she goes to mid. She scored both goals on LL despite tight coverage however during the SUA game she was shutout by double and triple coverage and SUA keeper made two great game changing saves. West’s 3-4-3 lineup would have forced Creek to play DB back in the midfield to help control the game since West’s midfield is loaded. That would limit Creek’s scoring chances significantly and KD would get at least a couple scores past their keeper.
West’s keeper probably shuts out Creek.

Last edited:
By body-checking I mean the intentional coaching of players to play the man instead of the ball, get in a cheap shot after the ball is played away, and intentionally running through the player.

I also agree about this point. Some refs let players get away with playing the player instead of the ball.

To be clear, when I stated that soccer is a contact sport I was not advocating that kind of play. I didn't see the game so I can't comment about if the contact that was allowed was beyond what should have been allowed.

IMO, while corners are legit goals, I am referring to a goal in the run of play being, well, more skillful. Just my opinion.. Loveland's strategy is often kick the ball long, have your fast winger (KA) take it to the byline, and win a corner.
I also prefer goals in the run of play. I like possession soccer and find it a lot more fun to watch. It seems more of what you don't like is the "kick and run" strategy and how that is used to win corner kicks. Again, I agree. I don't like it either but it is what it is.

Style discussions come up here every high school season. The great thing about the game of soccer is that there are so many different ways that it can be played. I don't like the kick and run strategy either but for some teams it works. Additionally, the HS season is not really that long and getting a team to play a possession style isn't always feasible.
I have only watched 2 of West's games but I think that coach is very aggressive on offense and takes chances with her defense. Maybe that is her strategy with her players.
That is surprising to me given the head coach's defensive background.
West changed keepers at half and had to play with 10 players the whole half due to a red card.
Was the carded player an impact player? I assume that she will need to sit out vs Loveland.

I was at the Creek - Loveland game last night. I thought Loveland had a perfect game plan, executed it very well, and actually controlled possession for significant portions of the game, particularly in the first half. The whole narrative of them just being physical and good at set pieces misleading, IMO. They're a very talented team. Creek is a very good team and with a player like DB, they're going to get their chances and control possession. But Loveland did a great job limiting Creek's chances. And overcame some questionable officiating in the second half to hold Creek at bay. Congrats to Creek on an incredible run - DB is one of the best high school soccer players I've ever seen. She should hold her head high, as should all of her teammates.

I really wanted to avoid entering into the fray with the soccer purists on here, but a few thoughts: A goal off of a set piece counts the same as a goal in the run of play, and no one should criticize a team's style of play simply because it's not the one you prefer or it's not the way you think the game should be played. The game is simple: outscore your opponent. Loveland has done that more consistently than any other team in SW Ohio (maybe all of Ohio) over the past 5 years. 4 of 5 regional finals, 1 state runner up, 1 state championship. That deserves praise, not criticism, especially when you consider the size of their school. They're drawing from a pool of girls that is less than half of what some of these other schools are dealing with. Chirp all you want, but they're darn good at what they do.

.....A goal off of a set piece counts the same as a goal in the run of play, and no one should criticize a team's style of play simply because it's not the one you prefer or it's not the way you think the game should be played. The game is simple: outscore your opponent.....

I agree completely. You have to play to your strengths and the other team's weaknesses. I've coached for many years in basketball and many times we were the inferior team. But I would try to come up with a game plan that allowed us to compete. For example, my team was not tall and would face teams with very tall centers and forwards and they would play a zone defense. My response was to not attack it and hold the ball out at half court. It would be a game of chicken and it would test the patience of the other coach. I couldn't attack their strength. I made them play my game. We were much quicker.

It sounds like Loveland knew that Beavercreek's weakness was their goalkeeper. They could generate scoring chances off corners much easier than in regular play because Beavercreek's midfielders and defense was so strong. It worked.

They shouldn't ask 'how' you won int he tournament. It doesn't matter (unless its dirty). They should ask 'if' you won.

Historic 43 game win streak over. Loveland 3 Beavercreek 2
I overheard debate on this and did not know the answer, so I will pose it here: Was Beavercreek's game against St. Ursula counted as a win? Camp #1 thought a game that goes to penalties is officially counted as a tie, with one team advancing in penalties. Camp #2 thought that penalties were treated as a "goal," such that the official record would show Beavercreek winning that game 1-0 in a shootout. Doesn't make a huge difference, but was just curious if anyone knows how the OHSAA officially treats it.

Not sure where the other thread went but here are my picks (though some are guesses).

Division I
Region 1
No. 7 Medina (15-2-2)
vs. No. 8 (tie) Massillon Jackson (13-2-3) 2-1
Mayfield (13-4-3) vs. No. 5 Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit (16-0-3) 4-0

Region 2
Berea-Midpark (16-3-0) vs. No. 3 Strongsville (15-2-2) 3-0
Oregon Clay (13-6-2) vs. No. 2 Whitehouse Anthony Wayne (19-0-0) 1-0

Region 3
No. 8 (tie) Dublin Coffman (16-5-1)
vs. Westerville North (14-3-1) 3-1
Marysville (18-2-3)
vs. No. 12 Lewis Center Olentangy Orange (17-2-4) 1-0

Region 4
No. 4 West Chester Lakota West (18-0-2)
vs. Cincinnati Seton (17-3-2) 3-0
Loveland (15-3-0) vs. No. 1 Beavercreek m (19-0-0) 2-0

Division II
Region 5
No. 4 Canfield (15-2-0)
vs. Chagrin Falls (16-2-1) 2-1
Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin (11-7-1) vs. No. 3 Copley (14-4-1) 2-0

Region 6
No. 2 Mansfield Madison Comprehensive (15-1-4)
vs. Rocky River (11-6-1) 3-0
No. 15 Celina (15-2-4)
vs. Oak Harbor (13-4-1) 4-1

Region 7

No. 12 Lancaster Fairfield Union (18-2-0) vs. No. 14 Granville (11-4-5) 3-1
Creston Norwayne (15-4-0) vs. Dover (13-4-3) 2-1

Region 8
Tipp City Tippecanoe (11-4-4)
vs No. 6 Monroe (19-0-0) 3-2
No. 1 Kettering Archbishop Alter (18-1-1)
vs. Dayton Oakwood (12-6-1) 5-0

Division III
Region 9
No. 4 Kirtland (15-4-0)
vs. No. 15 Doylestown Chippewa (16-2-1) 4-2
Independence (13-3-3)
vs. Warren John F. Kennedy (11-7-0) 2-1

Region 10
Archbold (15-1-3)
vs. Spencerville (16-3-0) 4-0
No. 11 Findlay Liberty-Benton (17-1-1) vs. No. 3 Pemberville Eastwood (20-0-0) 1-0

Region 11
No. 8 Gahanna Columbus Academy (14-3-2)
vs. Lynchburg-Clay (14-2-3) 3-1
New Middletown Springfield (18-1-0)
vs. Zanesville Bishop Rosecrans (9-7-2) 2-1

Region 12

No. 13 Cincinnati Madeira (14-8-4) vs. No. 9 Cincinnati Mariemont (10-3-6) 1-0
No. 1 Cincinnati Country Day (16-0-2)
vs. No. 2 Sidney Lehman Catholic (11-1-2) 5-0

Not bad.....16-7 with one game left. However, I screen shot Jed's picks before they were removed, and he actually went 22-1. 8 EXACT scores too. I guess he is smart:)

NCAA Stat Manual - not sure OHSAA is bound by this or if the NFHS has similar rules (too lazy to look)

It is much like Game Stats - not all high school programs or leagues utilize NCAA Stat Procedures. 1/2 game shutouts for keepers etc.

SECTION 7—OVERTIME, TIEBREAKER PROCEDURE

Article 1. All statistics that occur during overtime count toward team and individual totals. However, if the game reaches the point where a tiebreaker procedure of taking penalty kicks occurs, no statistics — goals or saves — count toward team or individual totals.

Article 2. All contests decided by the tiebreaker procedure of taking penalty kicks shall be counted as ties for each team’s overall record. The score shall be recorded as a tie. A.R. 1. In a conference championship game to determine an automatic berth to the NCAA Championships, Team A and Team B are still tied, 1-1, after all overtimes have been completed. Team A outscores Team B in a penalty-kick tiebreaker, 4-2. The final result should be recorded as a tie with the score listed as 1-1 (Team A advances on penalty kicks, 4-2).

I was at the Creek - Loveland game last night. I thought Loveland had a perfect game plan, executed it very well, and actually controlled possession for significant portions of the game, particularly in the first half. The whole narrative of them just being physical and good at set pieces misleading, IMO. They're a very talented team. Creek is a very good team and with a player like DB, they're going to get their chances and control possession. But Loveland did a great job limiting Creek's chances. And overcame some questionable officiating in the second half to hold Creek at bay. Congrats to Creek on an incredible run - DB is one of the best high school soccer players I've ever seen. She should hold her head high, as should all of her teammates.

I really wanted to avoid entering into the fray with the soccer purists on here, but a few thoughts: A goal off of a set piece counts the same as a goal in the run of play, and no one should criticize a team's style of play simply because it's not the one you prefer or it's not the way you think the game should be played. The game is simple: outscore your opponent. Loveland has done that more consistently than any other team in SW Ohio (maybe all of Ohio) over the past 5 years. 4 of 5 regional finals, 1 state runner up, 1 state championship. That deserves praise, not criticism, especially when you consider the size of their school. They're drawing from a pool of girls that is less than half of what some of these other schools are dealing with. Chirp all you want, but they're darn good at what they do.
I think this discussion is drifting to the a discussion that is similar to one that I have seen on the basketball board. And that discussion is:"do we want high school sports to look like the college, pro or an even elite level club game?" What Loveland does is use a very blunt tool that is successful and somewhat the antithesis of the "beautiful game" . But it is successful in high school soccer. Is the win/loss record the only measure of success? Should high schools play or try to play the elite or college or pro style. I think this has an impact on the ladies playing club in the fall. West has three very high level players on their squad and several others that could play college soccer if they wanted too. I for one am looking forward to this match up and I am interested as to how LW attacks Loveland and how will Loveland attack West. One of West's goalies is very, very good.

I listened to your podcast, your posts and broadcast demonstrate that you have insightful opinions, but your condescending presentation turns people off.
Not sure what podcast you are referring but if I DID have a podcast and it IS the one you are referring then I could not have had anyone explain in better terms, WHY I would have said 'podcast' and why I would occasionally do said 'podcast'...…… mainly because I would literally care less about podcast, who listens, who doesn't, who laughs, who doesn't, who hates it, who doesn't- its ONE reason to exist would be your EXACT description above. So said 'podcast', based on your post, would mean it fulfills its true purpose. THANKS FOR LISTENING...IF I did have a podcast.

Congrats to Loveland's coach, HaaaveYouMetTed.
Thank you! I’d like to thank all my fans and supporters on Yappi (which is to say, everyone on here). You guys are the ones who keep me going! So much so that I thought I’d take a break from practice to check in with you all - preparations for the regional final be damned!!

All jokes aside, I’m sure Todd is flattered by how much attention you all are giving him. All up on the man’s nuts!!

Thank you! I’d like to thank all my fans and supporters on Yappi (which is to say, everyone on here). You guys are the ones who keep me going! So much so that I thought I’d take a break from practice to check in with you all - preparations for the regional final be damned!!

All jokes aside, I’m sure Todd is flattered by how much attention you all are giving him. All up on the man’s nuts!!
I know that your username is a How I Met Your Mother reference but perhaps you should change it to HaaaveYouMetTodd.

Not sure what podcast you are referring but if I DID have a podcast and it IS the one you are referring then I could not have had anyone explain in better terms, WHY I would have said 'podcast' and why I would occasionally do said 'podcast'...…… mainly because I would literally care less about podcast, who listens, who doesn't, who laughs, who doesn't, who hates it, who doesn't- its ONE reason to exist would be your EXACT description above. So said 'podcast', based on your post, would mean it fulfills its true purpose. THANKS FOR LISTENING...IF I did have a podcast.
What I was saying is that you have some good insight and could bring something to the table but your presentation is ridiculous. So when someone starts to read your messages under whatever name you are using today, they turn you off. You are wasting your time. Spend what ever time doing whatever you want but I think you could add to the discussion if you acted like an adult and not 12 year old boy that needed daddy to discipline him more often.

It's not really the size of the school, but the amount of talent that resides in that community. There is a ton of talent in the Loveland school district. Over the last 5 years, I would argue that Loveland had the most talented group of players in the region. The coaching staff are not "damn good at what they do", they are just fortunate to have a great feeder system. That coaching staff ruins players at the expense of winning games. Kids grow up working on ball skills, moves, passing, finesse and get to that program and are told to run over people, clear balls out of the back instead of working through the midfield, not use ball skills and moves but simply play the ball long, etc. It is so frustrating for many players that some decide they would rather not play than play that ugly game. (4 likely starters and 7 likely roster players did just that this year.). Now, does it work and get wins? Sure. So if that is your only measuring stick then you are right. If I wanted to win and sacrifice player development then it works. For some on this board, that is your only barometer. For others, including many in the Loveland soccer community, we wonder why we spend all that time and money teaching kids to trap a ball, to develop ball skill, to work on moves, to pass and play possession when all that matters at the HS level is how well you can win a ball out of the air and run people over.

And the argument that style doesn't matter as long as you win is just wrong. There is a difference between playing kickball and playing direct with a purpose. There is a difference between playing a long, searching pass and just clearing the ball randomly. Between speed as a method to stretching the field and relying on speed as the only way to beat a defense, or as a crutch to make up for poor defensive technique. There is a hierarchy in soccer that is not based on winning and losing, but playing with style. Ask any Brazilian or Italian fan about winning with style . There are "ugly' wins and "pretty" (not the right word) losses. Loveland relies on ugly wins with big, physical players.

Again, I am not saying it doesn't work to play that style, before someone goes down that road. I remember when I first starting coaching HS soccer in the early 90's . I went to the state finals to watch Bay Village (boys) play some team I don't remember. Bay had two, huge, muscular twins at midfield that had suspect skill but just simply ran over the other team. They won the state title, but I remember thinking that I really hope this is not what HS soccer is. Unfortunately, years later HS soccer still looks like that for some schools. Can't we move the game forward at the HS level?

You, soccerfan63, and Messi seem like a He-man Loveland Haters Club. I have a ton of respect for that staff and what they do, having coached myself. Like I said, you don’t like the style and think your way is better. That’s fine. But you won’t sell me on the “they’re just fortunate to have more talent than everyone” line of reasoning. Not for a district that size for such a sustained period.

Hopefully you get the chance to coach a high school girls team and put your theory to the test.

You, soccerfan63, and Messi seem like a He-man Loveland Haters Club. I have a ton of respect for that staff and what they do, having coached myself. Like I said, you don’t like the style and think your way is better. That’s fine. But you won’t sell me on the “they’re just fortunate to have more talent than everyone” line of reasoning. Not for a district that size for such a sustained period.

Hopefully you get the chance to coach a high school girls team and put your theory to the test.

As I said in my post, it is NOT about the size of the district. It is about the soccer community. Read my post again. And why the personal attacks on us? We are just expressing our opinion and all the old guard Yapsters can do is accuse any new member of being a parent who doesn't know anything about the game. Maybe that is why no one posts on these boards anymore. Express your opinion and the old guard attack you. I am going to try to justify myself to you or anyone else on this board, but if you want to go down that road send me a private message and we can compare credentials and use real names instead hiding behind these anonymous fake names. If you have respect for the Loveland coaching staff that is great, but if you really knew the game and saw the training sessions at a LHS practice you would think otherwise. The general consensus in the Loveland soccer community is just that, the program is successful because of the talent and not the coaching.

As I said in my post, it is NOT about the size of the district. It is about the soccer community. Read my post again. And why the personal attacks on us? We are just expressing our opinion and all the old guard Yapsters can do is accuse any new member of being a parent who doesn't know anything about the game. Maybe that is why no one posts on these boards anymore. Express your opinion and the old guard attack you. I am going to try to justify myself to you or anyone else on this board, but if you want to go down that road send me a private message and we can compare credentials and use real names instead hiding behind these anonymous fake names. If you have respect for the Loveland coaching staff that is great, but if you really knew the game and saw the training sessions at a LHS practice you would think otherwise. The general consensus in the Loveland soccer community is just that, the program is successful because of the talent and not the coaching.
Please show me where I attacked you?? If “He Man Loveland Haters Club” is what triggered you, I think you’ll need thicker skin to survive around here. You all have made oddly similar posts harping about one specific thing. That’s all I’m saying. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I’ll pass on measuring schlongs with you, but thanks for the invitation. If I could PM you a box of tissues, I would.

As to your opinion about the most successful program in the region in recent years, we will have to agree to disagree.

By the way, I was impressed with Loveland tonight. KD took over the game for West, but Loveland played well. Only because of their talent though. Coaching was obviously crap. :rolleyes: