Swbl

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this kids name? I have heard a lot about him.
I talk with a lot of Preble Shawnee people so I have a lot of insight on him. I've also seen him play multiple times, and the kid is very good. A little backstory on him, he was strategically held back for sports, and I really applaud Preble Shawnee, because they were not going to let his family do that. It was his 6th grade year, and the family moved the kid to TVS for a year, had him redo 6th grade, and then went back to Preble Shawnee for 7th grade. It's pretty crazy if you ask me... anyways, he's already 6'2/6'3 and has the skills of a point guard. He's just a good scorer overall. I watched him play in the Varsity summer league a couple years back as Preble Shawnee coaches were playing him with their Varsity team as a 7th grader. He was actually scoring points and looked as if he could fit right in already. I'm not sure the kid has ever lost a game at any level. Not only that but his supporting cast is pretty good. Preble Shawnee is about to be very good in the next 2-3 years.
He is actually in TVS school district and open enrolls to PS. The reason he redid 6th grade at TVS was because he didn’t want to repeat the same curriculum at PS two years. Shawnee had no issue with his parents holding him back-and it was done for more reasons than sports, that was simply an added benefit for him. He was the very youngest in the 2023 class and maturity was a big issue-now he’s an older one in the 2024. Don’t be so quick to assume it was done only for sports.

my SWBL thoughts on the season from an OHC-CBC guy:

congrats to Milton Union. thrashing Arcanum after losing a few weeks prior and beating a #2 seed in Madison by 10 is nothing short of impressive. win or lose to Deer Park, awesome way to finish the season for the Bulldogs.

Daren Rubin of Oakwood was fun to watch. players like him make me enjoy high school basketball games.

I stayed for Preble Shawnee-Stivers on Saturday after Greenon played and Preble Shawnee was very impressive. went on I think a 15-0 run after being down I think 20? gave Stivers everything they could handle the last 10 minutes of the game and took advantage of Stivers being fairly undisciplined. Arrows were mentally tough. If the Arrows were as young as people are saying on here, they will be a D3 force here the next couple of years.

aside from the occasional generational talent, the SWBL will never be able to compete with the city league teams and catholic schools. they aren't athletic enough to compete with the city league teams and the GCL primarily steals some of the best players from SWBL communities.

I think a couple of nice looking records due to weak scheduling inflated the seeds for some teams. Madison was probably more of a 4-5 seed. Brookville.. I just don't know. lost two a very mediocre West Liberty Salem team but the win over National Trail looks very nice.

really hope Franklin doesn't stay D1 for very long.

I dont think shawnee was all that young this year. 4 of their top 6 players were seniors. They will deinately be young next year. if singleton stays healthy he should eclipse the 1000 pt mark

He is actually in TVS school district and open enrolls to PS. The reason he redid 6th grade at TVS was because he didn’t want to repeat the same curriculum at PS two years. Shawnee had no issue with his parents holding him back-and it was done for more reasons than sports, that was simply an added benefit for him. He was the very youngest in the 2023 class and maturity was a big issue-now he’s an older one in the 2024. Don’t be so quick to assume it was done only for sports.
Could be maturity. I know he came to TVS and was the smartest kid in the class, so it didn't seem like it was because of education. Regardless, I don't want to bash the kid. Even if it was for sports it doesn't matter, even though I did think it was goofy when they moved him to TVS to redo 6th grade. I had heard that he is more where he needs to be now because of his age so that is good.

The fact of the matter is that I'm excited to see how he does when he gets into high school. I really believe he's a first team all league type of player next year as a Freshman. I know the Spitlers are excited to get him in high school (expectedly), and I know there's going to be some very high expectations at Preble Shawnee for the next 4 years.

I dont think shawnee was all that young this year. 4 of their top 6 players were seniors. They will deinately be young next year. if singleton stays healthy he should eclipse the 1000 pt mark
Shawnee has a pretty good Senior class across the board in all sports. I would definitely not say that their basketball team is young. I do think the Singleton kid is the best player, and he will be back next year, that is one good thing.

Shawnee has a pretty good Senior class across the board in all sports. I would definitely not say that their basketball team is young. I do think the Singleton kid is the best player, and he will be back next year, that is one good thing.
I think people around here are excited for next year,because everyone has been talking for 3-4 years about Singleton and Shrout playing together because they are such different players and it seems like they will play great with one another, one thing people need to realize is the Shrout kid plays at a high level in AAU believe I heard he will play for All Ohio Red this spring probably the best AAU team in Ohio he ranked 5th best 8th grader at Buckeye prep last year I’m not saying he’s D1 or he going to be this or that but the kid has put in work let’s just enjoy watching a kid that’s put in the hours that he has.

I think people around here are excited for next year,because everyone has been talking for 3-4 years about Singleton and Shrout playing together because they are such different players and it seems like they will play great with one another, one thing people need to realize is the Shrout kid plays at a high level in AAU believe I heard he will play for All Ohio Red this spring probably the best AAU team in Ohio he ranked 5th best 8th grader at Buckeye prep last year I’m not saying he’s D1 or he going to be this or that but the kid has put in work let’s just enjoy watching a kid that’s put in the hours that he has.
It's definitely too early to say he's a D1 player, but I don't think it's out of the question. My thoughts on him were that he was a junior high kid that was bigger than everyone else, so that helped him to be better than everyone else. I was wrong though, he does have a lot of skill. He can really shoot it and he's a great passer. He seems like a great teammate overall.

No shock with either, Smith has coached a lot of years he deserved it.

smith did a good job. He knows how to schedule a winning season. The last game which was against Milton Union was a dumpster fire. How many turnovers? How many missed layups? Madison was outclassed on the court and on the bench.

smith did a good job. He knows how to schedule a winning season. The last game which was against Milton Union was a dumpster fire. How many turnovers? How many missed layups? Madison was outclassed on the court and on the bench.
Well, you got your last ever shot in on Coach Smith-good job buddy. They won the league three years straight-he did a heck of a job scheduling those league games. You going after Hubbard next? Morrison in baseball?

Well, you got your last ever shot in on Coach Smith-good job buddy. They won the league three years straight-he did a heck of a job scheduling those league games. You going after Hubbard next? Morrison in baseball?

The next boys basketball coach is going to be just as successful and perhaps even more so. They have an excellent community for athletics in the swbl.

The next boys basketball coach is going to be just as successful and perhaps even more so. They have an excellent community for athletics in the swbl.
I actually expect them to drop off some. I think Madison has been spoiled in the recent years with the graduating classes of 2019 and 2020. I expect both the football and basketball teams to be very mid pack. Especially with the league merging and Madison now playing all of the bigger schools as part of the normal conference and not having some of those for sure wins with some of the smaller schools. Just looking at the basketball team alone, it will lose it's top 6 scorers from this year. Plus the obvious losing Whisman, a 4 time first team all league player.

Milton benefited from facing them twice before. The kids at Madison are great athletes and there is very good coaching.

I actually expect them to drop off some. I think Madison has been spoiled in the recent years with the graduating classes of 2019 and 2020. I expect both the football and basketball teams to be very mid pack. Especially with the league merging and Madison now playing all of the bigger schools as part of the normal conference and not having some of those for sure wins with some of the smaller schools. Just looking at the basketball team alone, it will lose it's top 6 scorers from this year. Plus the obvious losing Whisman, a 4 time first team all league player.
is Whisman committed somewhere?

Cedarville. His dad played there and had a nice career in the 90's. I know he had some DI interest, but I think this will be a good move for him. He'll probably have the opportunity to make an impact right away.

Thanks. That sounds like a awesome opportunity.

So who has the most coming back along with incoming freshman that will be next years contenders? I know madison losses alot. Oakwood also. Franklin losses some but always seems to reload. Wayneville usually plays alot of seniors but always seems to get kids to step up every year

Last edited:
So who has the most coming back along with incoming freshman that will be next years contenders? I know madison losses alot. Oakwood also. Franklin losses some but always seems to reload. Wayneville usually plays alot of seniors but always seems to get kids to step up every year
As discussed recently on this thread. In the Buckeye division, I think Preble Shawnee with Shrout/Singleton will compete to win the Buckeye Division. I expect MU to be good with that Freshman Brumbaugh leading the way. I think Madison drops off, after losing so much, but I'm sure they will still be competitive. I expect Waynesville/Northridge to be good as they usually are. It seems like Carlisle could be a wildcard and with their transfers being eligible for the entire season next year, they could be very dangerous. I also expect Dixie to be better, since they return pretty much their entire team. It should be another good/competitive year in the Buckeye Division.

Monroe will be about 8 seniors deep next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.