Swbl

Status
Not open for further replies.
No surprise to me that Oakwood goes down to CJ by 20. Eagles are at worst the 2nd best team that Jacks have seen all season, while Oakwood probably not in the top 12 that CJ has played. Huge difference and great to see CJ coach's quote in the DDN this morning stating they gear to regular season toward the tournament. I agree with the philosophy. Note much in " winning the league" in my eyes. But, nice season for the Jakcs though. Hope the kids had fun. Congrats to Darren Rubin on an excellent career and good luck at Denison U. amazing how quickly the SWBL gets wiped out at tourney time.
The two sites that I've visited had Oakwood beating CJ by 20. ?‍♂️

Not a good year for Southwestern teams, this year only 1 tournament win between all of them, Buckeye teams will have at least have 5 still not great but a little more respectable.

One crazy thing looking at the SWBL teams. Brookville is in the Southwestern division but they are D3. Then you have Waynesville and Northridge in the Buckeye division but in D2. That doesn't make sense logically, but I know Brookville wants to be in the Southwestern division, and they are a competitive fit.

Not a good year for Southwestern teams, this year only 1 tournament win between all of them, Buckeye teams will have at least have 5 still not great but a little more respectable.

I think part of the problem with the Southwest teams is scheduling. They need to play up more. Franklin is D1 so why are they playing Tri Village? I know Bellbrook plays some D1 and Valley View has try to schedule more D1. Plus, you know in D2 that somewhere along the line you are going to run into Trotwood, Thurgood Marshall, Alter, CJ, Dunbar and so on.

I think part of the problem with the Southwest teams is scheduling. They need to play up more. Franklin is D1 so why are they playing Tri Village? I know Bellbrook plays some D1 and Valley View has try to schedule more D1. Plus, you know in D2 that somewhere along the line you are going to run into Trotwood, Thurgood Marshall, Alter, CJ, Dunbar and so on.
Franklin also played Crestview Academy, Edgewood,and Springboro which are D-1 schools. And they Beat Springboro at Springboro.

Franklin also played Crestview Academy, Edgewood,and Springboro which are D-1 schools. And they Beat Springboro at Springboro.
So you are saying Franklin, a D1 team, played 3 of it’s 22 games against other D1 schools? I think you just proved his point that might be the weakest D1 schedule in the area.

Bellbrook played 5 D1 not including 2 games against Franklin. The only time Franklin tried to beef up the schedule was when they had Kennard. With as close to 75 as they are there’s no reason why they can’t try to schedule more.

Arrows fell 65-57 to many turnovers, Singleton carried the team with 25 points not much to talk about after that, with Taft as the next game it would’ve been a blood bath.

Yep, Milton Union is the final team standing. They play Deer Park at 2pm Saturday at Vandalia Butler. I will be rooting hard for Milton Union in this game, but Deer Park is going to be a very tough opponent.

Winning the league is great, and I'm all for it, but we all know who the better teams are in the area. If the SWBL wants to compete in the state tourney then things must change. I would love to see all these teams be on our none league every year ( Trotwood, Thurgood Marshall, Alter, CJ, Dunbar and so on). These schools are all less then 10 minutes away from Oakwood. It doesn't make sense to me to go play a D1 Edgewood, just to say we play D1 teams. Go play competition that will improve your team, not give some false hope. Sure we would loose most these games, but who cares?? And if winning the league is your #1 priority, I think playing teams like this would improve your chances to get more league titles. Unfortunately I don't see things changing.

I think the playing a tough schedule strategy for the swbl is a bit fools gold. Oakwood lost 5 league games and 8 games total during the season so they played a schedule comparable to their abilities. So playing trotwood of thurgood and getting roasted by 30 will not make them better. The problem with the swbl is lack of athleticism, and you cant teach it. Thats why besides northridge and a rare luke kennard type player you will always struggle. add that in with a finicky school board and fan base and its potential suicide for a coach.

I think the playing a tough schedule strategy for the swbl is a bit fools gold. Oakwood lost 5 league games and 8 games total during the season so they played a schedule comparable to their abilities. So playing trotwood of thurgood and getting roasted by 30 will not make them better. The problem with the swbl is lack of athleticism, and you cant teach it. Thats why besides northridge and a rare luke kennard type player you will always struggle. add that in with a finicky school board and fan base and its potential suicide for a coach.
I agree. The SWBL is a good conference for all the schools involved. In general though, it's just too difficult to compete with the Dayton City Schools/Trotwood and the GCL private schools in the D2 Dayton area. Even if Franklin/Bellbrook were in D2 they would still struggle in the tournament. I don't think toughening up the schedule is going to fix the discrepancy in athleticism.

You may be right. But what we are doing is fools gold too as far as our conference identity and looking to make an impact in the state tournament. Like I said I don't think things will change. We are a average conference that will occasionally be a factor in the districts possibly regionals.
Even having a Kennard player didn't help much. We are who we are. Toughening up the schedule here and there wouldn't hurt. It may not help, like you said, but why not step out a little into an uncomfortable area and test the waters? It looks to me that the best strategy is, win the league and run from the best teams in the area as long as you can in the districts. I guess that makes a happy school board, fan base (not all) and keeps the coaches safe. Its just gotten old to see year after year. Stir the pot.

You may be right. But what we are doing is fools gold too as far as our conference identity and looking to make an impact in the state tournament. Like I said I don't think things will change. We are a average conference that will occasionally be a factor in the districts possibly regionals.
Even having a Kennard player didn't help much. We are who we are. Toughening up the schedule here and there wouldn't hurt. It may not help, like you said, but why not step out a little into an uncomfortable area and test the waters? It looks to me that the best strategy is, win the league and run from the best teams in the area as long as you can in the districts. I guess that makes a happy school board, fan base (not all) and keeps the coaches safe. Its just gotten old to see year after year. Stir the pot.
I agree. I think it would be good to schedule tougher out of conference games. It definitely wouldn't hurt. I'm just not sold that it would fix the issue. I know what won't fix the issue though, just continuing to do what is going on now.

Will Franklin drop back to D-II in basketball next year, or does the state keep it the same for 2 yrs. before a recount?

Will Franklin drop back to D-II in basketball next year, or does the state keep it the same for 2 yrs. before a recount?
I just went on the OHSAA page to read up on this. It looks like the division assignments are set in 2 year increments, and this year's setup will be the same as 2020-2021.

SWBL suffers from lack of elite basketball talent. There are good players but the CHL schools have Wyoming, Deer Park, etc that will likely run through their districts.
Trotwood, TG, Dayton public schools, Taft, etc have better basketball talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.