Swbl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waynesville will be young but talented this year! Three kids with the potential to dunk on a fast break and from what i saw last year these boys can shoot.

Waynesville will be young but talented this year! Three kids with the potential to dunk on a fast break and from what i saw last year these boys can shoot.
You maybe right but do they have any size all the bigs are gone and that JV team didn’t have a kid over 6 foot

Oakwood has the the top returning scorer in the league, Darren Rubin. They have a solid group kids returning with some real varsity minutes. They don't have a lot of height however. They also have a few sophomores and one freshmen who can play, but time will tell if they get any varsity minutes. I'm not sure if they will win the league but they should be able to play with anyone in the league and be fun to watch.
judging from scrimmages..at least one freshman and two sophs getting minutes, along with 2-3 seniors and the rest juniors.

It's funny you say that. We actually beat Waynesville at Waynesville last year and there were 2 things I remember from being there. During the Varsity game, they did have a player dunk on a fast break on us. I thought it was cool, because we don't get to see many dunks. During halftime of the JV game, Waynesville had a JV player come out and put on a show dunking the basketball. He seemed to be an average overall JV player, but I remember the kid having crazy hops.

It's funny you say that. We actually beat Waynesville at Waynesville last year and there were 2 things I remember from being there. During the Varsity game, they did have a player dunk on a fast break on us. I thought it was cool, because we don't get to see many dunks. During halftime of the JV game, Waynesville had a JV player come out and put on a show dunking the basketball. He seemed to be an average overall JV player, but I remember the kid having crazy hops.

Did he get a bunch of technicals?

Is the Zumbiel back? That kid was good as a freshman and didn’t play last year
He is back along with another big. The team overall will be hardnosed and simply a PITA to play against. Their Junior class was the class of the SWBL when whole and will only be missing 1 player from that group who was a contributor.

What school do you cheer for? But the one you speak of his one of the three. We have a junior that has not played since freshman year sat out due to injury who can also put on a show. I think they will be a fun group of kids to watch this year. They scrimmaged Purcell Marion last night and beat them all four quarters

What school do you cheer for? But the one you speak of his one of the three. We have a junior that has not played since freshman year sat out due to injury who can also put on a show. I think they will be a fun group of kids to watch this year. They scrimmaged Purcell Marion last night and beat them all four quarters
TVS. We played early in the year on a Saturday night.

OHSAA Basketball should have 5 divisions--coaches association has petitioned for it since the 90's. The big D1 schools have a massive advantage over the smaller D1 schools like Franklin, Turpin, Mt. Healthy, Anderson, Kings etc... when it comes to tourney time. All those schools have strong football teams and can make a playoff push because they are all D2 in football--not sure why basketball can't have 5 divisions--I'm guessing it's a $'s concern to run another division tourney up through Columbus. Thoughts?

All basketball State games can be played in 3 days at the Schott. Another Division and it becomes a 4 day event. Somebody has to be the smallest in any divisional setup. Franklin needs to play a tougher non league schedule, or get in a league where they are not bigger than everyone else. No body could win in the D1 tourney playing their schedule. Bales worries too much about his record. Suck it up and get more ambitious.

Franklin that good or the league just that bad? They have not fared to well in the d1 tourney. And really haven't done well in the d2 since Kennard graduated.

Never won a District when they had Kennard. He had a strong supporting cast too.
Schedule killed them. They went to some big time Shootouts, but those are pressure free games. Nobody expected them to win. They needed some tough, grind it out games against some really good D1 teams that they could maybe beat.

I stand corrected. Kennard won a District title his senior year. My apologies. He was and is one of the areas best players ever, maybe the best.

Last edited:
Never won a District when they had Kennard. He had a strong supporting cast too.
Schedule killed them. They went to some big time Shootouts, but those are pressure free games. Nobody expected them to win. They needed some tough, grind it out games against some really good D1 teams that they could maybe beat.
I agree with your previous 2 posts. I don't think the issue is Franklin being in D1. As you mentioned, even in D2 and with Kennard they didn't win a District Title. Southwestern Ohio is tough for the D1 and D2 schools. I think Franklin should beef up their schedule so they can get a better idea of where they stand heading into tournament time. Beating up on SWBL schools is not a very realistic idea of how good your team is.

I agree with your previous 2 posts. I don't think the issue is Franklin being in D1. As you mentioned, even in D2 and with Kennard they didn't win a District Title. Southwestern Ohio is tough for the D1 and D2 schools. I think Franklin should beef up their schedule so they can get a better idea of where they stand heading into tournament time. Beating up on SWBL schools is not a very realistic idea of how good your team is.
They won a District Title his Sr year, and lost to Dunbar at UD in the Regional Finals

They won a District Title his Sr year, and lost to Dunbar at UD in the Regional Finals
I was going off what the previous guy said, I didn't look it up to make sure. I know that particular season would have been as far as they ever made it and it took having an NBA caliber player on their team to do so.

All basketball State games can be played in 3 days at the Schott. Another Division and it becomes a 4 day event. Somebody has to be the smallest in any divisional setup. Franklin needs to play a tougher non league schedule, or get in a league where they are not bigger than everyone else. No body could win in the D1 tourney playing their schedule. Bales worries too much about his record. Suck it up and get more ambitious.
The Div ll Dayton sectional/district is just as tough as the DI. Bellbrook is a mid-pack (.500) team this season and have 5 D1 teams on their non-league schedule. Their scrimmage schedule has also included 3 D1teams. If a SWBL team wants any chance of getting out of a sectional they must beef up the schedule. With the GCL, City League, and T-M being D2 it’s equally tough for the bigger SWBL schools.

My predictions for the year would be

Buckeye
1. Madison
2.Preble Shawnee
3. Carlisle
4. Northridge
5. Waynesville
6.Milton
7. Dixie
But 4-7 could go in any order, Another player to watch is a kid from Waynesville Kole Todd little guy but can handle the ball well, Southwest is sadly Franklin and everyone else very deep team in Franklin this year Oakwood maybe Monroe can put up a fight
P.S. Watch Carlisle on the Buckeye side...........
My predictions For the SW side as Follows:
1. Franklin ,Very deep with decent size,
5 returning seniors that hit 210 - 3 pointers last year and the addition of a super soph. class adds size and depth. Have looked very good in scrimmages.
2. Oakwood- POY Rubin will lead a solid group of returners and with the always home court advantage in the "Pit" they could push Franklin for the top spot.
3A.- Valley View- Will be behind the 8 ball from the start because of the great run in the football play-offs,but should be competitive with
3. Brookville- AJ leads the attack along with returning center will surprise.
4A.Bellbrook Great soph point guard can fill it
4B.Monroe-returns several starters could finish higher than 4th if they gel.
5 .Eaton- some talent ,depth is very young but I understand they have some promising Freshman.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how I see it too.

Nice to hear about all the young talent coming up in the league for the next few years for other schools. For Oakwood, we have a freshman who is a solid player. He is 6'3" solid skills,can shoot and athletic. We have two Soph's who will get varsity minutes and a third on JV who will grow into solid varsity player. Happy to see the season start!

We play again this year i believe! How are you guys looking this year
We lost a lot from the 20-4 team last year. 4 Senior starters including 2 first team all league players and 1 second team all league player. Our one returning starter is our 6’5 post player. He’s a nice player and I believe he could average 20 points per game this year. We have another guard that logged a lot of minutes last year that I believe will take a step up and have a big year. Besides that we are going to struggle scoring. A .500 season is a reasonable thought.

My predictions for the year would be

Buckeye
1. Madison
2.Preble Shawnee
3. Carlisle
4. Northridge
5. Waynesville
6.Milton
7. Dixie
But 4-7 could go in any order, Another player to watch is a kid from Waynesville Kole Todd little guy but can handle the ball well, Southwest is sadly Franklin and everyone else very deep team in Franklin this year Oakwood maybe Monroe can put up a fight
Better move Milton up a few.

Better move Milton up a few.
They could but watching Milton last year they had some good big guys, but they have graduated.Also a little guard that could run the offense but wasn’t much of a scorer. I’ve heard you say they had a freshman that was good but it’s going to be a rough year in the Buckeye division for a freshman to make that much of a big impact. Not saying the kid won’t be good just a lot of teams bringing back kids that have two-three years of varsity experience maybe I’m wrong but the Buckeye division should be much more fun to watch this year than the Southwest.

They could but watching Milton last year they had some good big guys, but they have graduated.Also a little guard that could run the offense but wasn’t much of a scorer. I’ve heard you say they had a freshman that was good but it’s going to be a rough year in the Buckeye division for a freshman to make that much of a big impact. Not saying the kid won’t be good just a lot of teams bringing back kids that have two-three years of varsity experience maybe I’m wrong but the Buckeye division should be much more fun to watch this year than the Southwest.
The freshman will make an impact. Unsure how much, but will be something of significance.

We lost a lot from the 20-4 team last year. 4 Senior starters including 2 first team all league players and 1 second team all league player. Our one returning starter is our 6’5 post player. He’s a nice player and I believe he could average 20 points per game this year. We have another guard that logged a lot of minutes last year that I believe will take a step up and have a big year. Besides that we are going to struggle scoring. A .500 season is a reasonable thought.
Hard to tell right now what waynesville will do. They are young with two returning varsity players. I wanna say top three of the swbl but not sure time will tell

Any SWBL teams start playing this week? I know Eaton and Dixie are part of the TVS tip-off tournament that is Wednesday/Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.