Swbl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milton has the makings of a VERY good team and with Berner as coach they should challenge for the SWBL. Northridge has been the top-dog but I see Waynesville, MU and Madison challenging. Waynesville is always tough.
Brumbaugh being a Frosh, he probably won't be a dominant force but the kid was dunking the ball as a 8th grader. He's a pretty good football player too.

As for the TRC, that is a couple of seasons away. alt can happen in the meantime.
I don't know about MU for sure but I'd guess Northridge and Madison will both be good. Madison lost a very good Senior class but they return just enough, including the Whisman kid, that I'd guess the still compete to win the Buckeye Division. I'm only assuming that Northridge will be good. Waynesville and Milton Union as well. I know Preble Shawnee returns all of their best players and I believe they will be a lot better this year as well. I think the Buckeye Division could be very competitive this year.

As for the Southwestern Division, I expect Brookville to drop off greatly after last season. They lose the league MVP Gudorf, and 2 other first team all league players in the 2 Turner boys. It sounds like Franklin will be the team to beat, I'm just not sure what the other teams will bring for competitiveness. I don't expect much from Eaton or Valley View, but not sure about the others.

Oakwood has the the top returning scorer in the league, Darren Rubin. They have a solid group kids returning with some real varsity minutes. They don't have a lot of height however. They also have a few sophomores and one freshmen who can play, but time will tell if they get any varsity minutes. I'm not sure if they will win the league but they should be able to play with anyone in the league and be fun to watch.

I don't know much about Monroe, but they were a little over .500 last year. I look back to when they beat Bellbrook in the last regular season game last year and they started 4 underclassmen. Seems like they should be decent this year as well.

Monroe has a new coach this year, it's hard to say how that will go, but they do have some talent and should be competitive.
Bellbrook should be better, but I think they are a a year or two years away from competing.
Valley View struggled out of the gates last season with a new coach, but by the end of the year they were playing much better.
I also see Brookville falling off this year, maybe for a few years.
Eaton has been way down, but they are slowly climbing out of bottom of the league.

I see Franklin and Oakwood fighting for the league, but that being said, both of the teams have their weaknesses and can be beat.

Bethel/Northridge is the type of place that can change in the blink of an eye. I know Northridge gets a lot of transfers but remember a few years back when Bethel got a move in from Bishop Gorman HS in Las Vegas? Ryan Rose, that showed up out of nowhere and played his Junior/Senior year at Bethel. He ended up averaging like 25 points per game and was a first team all state player.
Rose was a stud. So sad their pg got hurt.

I don't know about MU for sure but I'd guess Northridge and Madison will both be good. Madison lost a very good Senior class but they return just enough, including the Whisman kid, that I'd guess the still compete to win the Buckeye Division. I'm only assuming that Northridge will be good. Waynesville and Milton Union as well. I know Preble Shawnee returns all of their best players and I believe they will be a lot better this year as well. I think the Buckeye Division could be very competitive this year.

As for the Southwestern Division, I expect Brookville to drop off greatly after last season. They lose the league MVP Gudorf, and 2 other first team all league players in the 2 Turner boys. It sounds like Franklin will be the team to beat, I'm just not sure what the other teams will bring for competitiveness. I don't expect much from Eaton or Valley View, but not sure about the others.

Madison has another good senior group this year. They had several jr. last year that played sparingly and some JV because of the good senior class. If Whisman can stay healthy they should be the favorites in the Buckeye division this year.

Madison has another good senior group this year. They had several jr. last year that played sparingly and some JV because of the good senior class. If Whisman can stay healthy they should be the favorites in the Buckeye division this year.
I didn't mean to discredit their current Senior group.. I think Madison will still be good. I just remember a few key players that were Seniors. Like the PG and post player. Looking back at the SWBL site, that PG had been a starter since atleast part of his Freshman season.

I didn't mean to discredit their current Senior group.. I think Madison will still be good. I just remember a few key players that were Seniors. Like the PG and post player. Looking back at the SWBL site, that PG had been a starter since atleast part of his Freshman season.
Nothing more important than an experienced PG. That can take them a long long way.

Waynesville gave it to them the last game of the year to split the title!

They definitely lost some good players and have some shoes to fill. The current seniors have had a lot of success together since they were young. I think they will be able to reload. I'm assuming the Phelps kid who tore his ACL during football season will not play and that could hurt some, but they still have a solid group of kids in that class.

Whisman from Madison, Singleton from Preble Shawnee, Burney from Carlisle that would be who I would think are the top 3 players from the Buckeye side. The Southwest, the Rubin kid from Oakwood can flat shoot it Franklin has two Minton and Emrick

Whisman from Madison, Singleton from Preble Shawnee, Burney from Carlisle that would be who I would think are the top 3 players from the Buckeye side. The Southwest, the Rubin kid from Oakwood can flat shoot it Franklin has two Minton and Emrick
Agreed, as all of them are nice players. Whisman has to be the preseason favorite to win POY in the Buckeye division. Rubin would have to be the favorite on the Southwest side. Another player to watch for is AJ Eller of Brooville. He was first team all league last year as a Sophomore averaging 11 points per game. This year he steps into a much larger role.

Ah and a nice personal note for me, as my nephew, who skipped last basketball season to participate fully in his club soccer program decided to play hoops at Oakwood again this season. I understand he made the varsity team. Gives me a good fallback option as I decide which games to attend in person during the season. He knows I am a great fan of hs sport, but am strictly an observer and not a fan. The family is used to my oddity on that subject, which is kind of them. I had an Oakwood soccer fan this past season who said... why don't you ever cheer when WE score. She did not seem to appreciate my reply that when it comes to watching games, I am never a part of "we". ;). Just a personal preference as I enjoy sport much more when i have no cheering interest. I suspect it is the old days broadcaster and writer in me. Anyway, looking forward to the season.

You may be right, however Rubin for Oakwood was honorable mention all state last year. He averaged 22.2 points per game. I think he will be in the discussion for POY.

Remember the name Blake Brumbaugh. Milton Freshman might be best player in the SWBL.
I've seen his name mentioned quite a few times. I will be following to see how he does. I figured he'd be good but do you think he could be the best player in the SWBL this year? It's a shame because Preble Shawnee has an 8th grader that is in the same boat. He will step into high school next year and be a first team all league caliber player immediately. These 2 kids could have had some great battles, but now they will be in separate leagues.

You may be right, however Rubin for Oakwood was honorable mention all state last year. He averaged 22.2 points per game. I think he will be in the discussion for POY.
I agree. I think there is some great talent returning to the SWBL. The Freshman will have some work to do to prove he's the best player in the league. He will have a chance to earn it this year in the Buckeye Division as I think it will be very competitive.

OHSAA Basketball should have 5 divisions--coaches association has petitioned for it since the 90's. The big D1 schools have a massive advantage over the smaller D1 schools like Franklin, Turpin, Mt. Healthy, Anderson, Kings etc... when it comes to tourney time. All those schools have strong football teams and can make a playoff push because they are all D2 in football--not sure why basketball can't have 5 divisions--I'm guessing it's a $'s concern to run another division tourney up through Columbus. Thoughts?

Basketball only needs 1-2 really good players and they can beat anyone. D2/D3 teams schedule D1 teams all the time and beat them. I know you won't see D1 crossing into D4 but there are plenty of midsized schools who can take on a school with 1,000 more boys. Being an Alter guy, they went to South Carolina last Christmas and played teams that had 3,000 kids in their high school and beat them. You see a lot of the GCL Coed teams playing GMC/GWOC and getting the win.

Basketball only needs 1-2 really good players and they can beat anyone. D2/D3 teams schedule D1 teams all the time and beat them. I know you won't see D1 crossing into D4 but there are plenty of midsized schools who can take on a school with 1,000 more boys. Being an Alter guy, they went to South Carolina last Christmas and played teams that had 3,000 kids in their high school and beat them. You see a lot of the GCL Coed teams playing GMC/GWOC and getting the win.
I just looked at some of the D1 enrollment numbers to get an idea of how bad it is for Franklin. Franklin is one of the smaller D1 schools in the state, that's a fact. Their enrollment number is 360. Roughly 45% of the D1 schools have 500 or less as their enrollment number so there are a lot of schools that aren't ridiculously larger in enrollment than Franklin. The problem is Southwest Ohio. 9 of the 10 biggest schools in the state are in Southwest Ohio (15 of the largest 27 schools are in Southwest Ohio). That could lead to a rough tournament draw for Franklin.

Remember the name Blake Brumbaugh. Milton Freshman might be best player in the SWBL.

He will be very good. I do not think this year. I think he will be 2nd team all league this year. Next 3 years he will be in running for POY if his development continues. ( I do not know if there is better comp around the league though)

I've seen his name mentioned quite a few times. I will be following to see how he does. I figured he'd be good but do you think he could be the best player in the SWBL this year? It's a shame because Preble Shawnee has an 8th grader that is in the same boat. He will step into high school next year and be a first team all league caliber player immediately. These 2 kids could have had some great battles, but now they will be in separate leagues.

The talent around d3 and d4 in the miami valley is about ready to get absurdly good in the next 2-4 years.

My predictions for the year would be

Buckeye
1. Madison
2.Preble Shawnee
3. Carlisle
4. Northridge
5. Waynesville
6.Milton
7. Dixie
But 4-7 could go in any order, Another player to watch is a kid from Waynesville Kole Todd little guy but can handle the ball well, Southwest is sadly Franklin and everyone else very deep team in Franklin this year Oakwood maybe Monroe can put up a fight

OHSAA Basketball should have 5 divisions--coaches association has petitioned for it since the 90's. The big D1 schools have a massive advantage over the smaller D1 schools like Franklin, Turpin, Mt. Healthy, Anderson, Kings etc... when it comes to tourney time. All those schools have strong football teams and can make a playoff push because they are all D2 in football--not sure why basketball can't have 5 divisions--I'm guessing it's a $'s concern to run another division tourney up through Columbus. Thoughts?
Not saying tis is the reason... but think about the logisitics of adding another round of semi finals and finals to the champtionship weekend

My predictions for the year would be

Buckeye
1. Madison
2.Preble Shawnee
3. Carlisle
4. Northridge
5. Waynesville
6.Milton
7. Dixie
But 4-7 could go in any order, Another player to watch is a kid from Waynesville Kole Todd little guy but can handle the ball well, Southwest is sadly Franklin and everyone else very deep team in Franklin this year Oakwood maybe Monroe can put up a fight
The only thing I'd say is that until we see otherwise, I would not have Northridge down that far. My projections are below...

1. Madison
2. Northridge
3. Waynesville
4. Preble Shawnee
5. Carlisle
6. Milton
7. Dixie

What type of player is he and what are his strengths? My son is in the 2023 class and has some really good teammates that will play varsity this year but not even close to being the best player in the OCC.

What type of player is he and what are his strengths? My son is in the 2023 class and has some really good teammates that will play varsity this year but not even close to being the best player in the OCC.
I don't know which player was Brumbaugh but I saw M-Union scrimmage @ Franklin and I didn't see anyone on that team that could Start for Franklin . Not criticizing but Dogs were not very impressive.

I will be surprised if Monroe doesn't win their division of the league.
I don't know much about Monroe, so can you please share why you feel this way? I did post earlier and looking back, they seemed to have a very competitive team last year, and I saw that they do return a lot. I just don't know anything about any of the players. From the sounds of it everyone thinks Franklin is the heavy favorite to win that side of the SWBL. With mention of a few teams like Oakwood being competitive, since they return the leagues leading scorer. I know Brookville lost a lot, but I still expect them to be competitive. Bellbrook was down some last year too, but they seemed to be competitive. I don't expect much from VV or Eaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.