Supreme Court Sides With HS Football Coach Who Prayed At Midfield After His Team's Games

bigkat

yeah, that's the whole point of praying in public. it's also the whole point of jesus saying don't trust those dudes.
don't agree, i have prayed in public many times in my life, and it was NEVER just to be seen...and i would think that Jesus trusts me...

don't agree, i have prayed in public many times in my life, and it was NEVER just to be seen...and i would think that Jesus trusts me...
it's ok to be wrong. if you're making a show of your prayer in public, you're absolutely 100% undeniably doing it, at least in part, to be seen doing it. you literally can't argue otherwise.

bigkat

it's ok to be wrong. if you're making a show of your prayer in public, you're absolutely 100% undeniably doing it, at least in part, to be seen doing it. you literally can't argue otherwise.
you are right, it's OK for you to be wrong... are you a religious person?

Just.here

If a guy goes out to eat with his friends and prays before he eats his meal like he always does, then I would say no part of that would be just because he wants to be seen.

If a guy goes out to eat with his friends and prays before he eats his meal like he always does, then I would say no part of that would be just because he wants to be seen.
there's a difference between bowing your head for a moment and kneeling at the 50 yard line and if you can't spot that difference i can't help you.

Just.here

there's a difference between bowing your head for a moment and kneeling at the 50 yard line and if you can't spot that difference i can't help you.
Never said there wasn’t. You said there was no argument for praying in public, and I gave you one.

MentorGrad2002

I mean... there's a whole industry of people who've made more money than they could ever imagine doing it.. so....?
Same as politicians and grifters for races who have made millions off of keeping others poor ....

Kneeling during the national anthem was to get attention too using that argument

Both should be allowed. Both are freedom of speech and expression

TigerPaw

to be thankful... so do you think anybody who prays in a public setting, does so to be seen?

Obviously. The why is another question. Some to show off and present a persona, some to try and influence others to their way of thinking.

I don't have a big problem with it because I am involved with my kids and teach them well enough on our own. But I don't really appreciate anyone else outside church trying to teach my kids lessons about christianity or morals because often their views are warped and dangerous, or the opposite of what I try to instill in them. Now apparently it is voluntary but the concern is some may feel pressured and/or kiss up for playing time.

Zwick_4_Prez

Same as politicians and grifters for races who have made millions off of keeping others poor ....

Kneeling during the national anthem was to get attention too using that argument

My only problem is an authority figure like a coach leading it. Then is it truly optional or just optional like off season work out sessions.

The Dock

(less germane to Kennedy v. Bremerton School District; more germane to the general topic of prayer and high school sports)

So, my school's league is 3:3:2 -- three non-denominational Christian schools, three public schools and two Catholic HS (one of which is mine.) Whenever we play at any of the three non-denom's for basketball, we're "encouraged" to participate in a pre-game prayer ritual -- the teams gather at mid-court, the fans bow their heads, and the PA announcer says some 'prayer' (AS AN ASIDE -- the PA announcer is typically someone who uses a ton of intonations in their voice when they call the game, and that's also how they read the prayers... which... yeah.)

On the flipside, my school does not hold these pre-game prayer rituals at our house. The only exception is when we have a guest of honor, like the Bishop of Columbus, in the house for when we play Newark Cath and we have a customary ~5 minute pre-game service led by him. It's our belief that prayer isn't compulsory while recognizing that different prayer customs and belief systems exist; nor is pre-game prayer necessary. The only times I otherwise see my school's teams pray before games is baseball and football praying the Novena to Our Lady of Victory -- but they both do this way before the game starts (~30 minutes beforehand) and toward a boundary line of the facility.

MentorGrad2002

My only problem is an authority figure like a coach leading it. Then is it truly optional or just optional like off season work out sessions.
As long as he doesn't demand his players join in, then there is no issue. If those players join in on their own, they are too choosing to use their freedom of speech and expression to do so.

If people have a problem with only one of kneeling for the anthem or praying on the football field, then you are probably too political on one side or the other to see the hypocrisy

TigerPaw

That is true but there are more complicated separation issues at play when it comes to religion. Many see the "wall" Jefferson spoke of beginning to crumble recently.

But you are correct, this opens the door for christians, muslims, jews & many others including atheists, in official positions, to be more open about their faith or spirituality in public school (ie. government) settings. For better or worse.