Super Bowl: Rams vs Patriots (2/3) 6:30PM

Who wins?

• Rams

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Patriots

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
Pats OL should win the MVP as a group. I’m sure Michel will win it, but Burkehead is breaking off huge runs.

Worst super bowl experience I can remember, game sucked commercials sucked halftime are you kidding me. That was brutal

Glad to see Julian Edelman win the MVP. I was afraid they would give it to Brady in a popularity vote. Edelman was the only offensive player deserving of the award.

Glad to see Julian Edelman win the MVP. I was afraid they would give it to Brady in a popularity vote. Edelman was the only offensive player deserving of the award.

I'm happy to see Julian Edelman win MVP also. I saw the E-60 show about his life yesterday. Great story. Kent State was smart enough to be the only college to give him a chance out of high school. Edelman was way out in California and KSU found him. Edelman then broke all kinds of records as their quarterback! Belichick was smart enough to draft him, after Edelman was 27th pick in the 7th round.

Great to see old man Brady win his last super bowl. Happy for the guy.
Watched it with a number of baffoons who complained about the game.
For 58 plus minutes it was a one score game.

To me.....that is compelling.

Next year though it will be KC or Clev repping the AFC>

Worst super bowl experience I can remember, game sucked commercials sucked halftime are you kidding me. That was brutal

Who gives a damn about commercials or a halftime show?
Real football fans dont.

Was it the most exciting? WEll, not much scoring for 58 plus minutes it was a one score game.

In my book, I will take that as a very good game.

Who gives a damn about commercials or a halftime show?
Real football fans dont.

Was it the most exciting? WEll, not much scoring for 58 plus minutes it was a one score game.

In my book, I will take that as a very good game.

Get rid of the Halftime show.

Great to see old man Brady win his last super bowl. Happy for the guy.
Watched it with a number of baffoons who complained about the game.
For 58 plus minutes it was a one score game.

To me.....that is compelling.

Next year though it will be KC or Clev repping the AFC>

this

It wasn’t a sloppy game filled with turnovers. This was a legitimately great game by both Defenses. Everyone remembers the Monday Night game bw the Chiefs and Rams, which was entertaining, but this was real hard nosed football.

Get rid of the Halftime show.

Maroon 5 was not paid the NFL "for the right" to do that show. They have to pay their own expenses. It's like buying your own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I can't see that as bringing them more fans, so I hope they had fun. meh

If the greed heads in the NFL and the broadcaster allocate the gross money from one commercial to pay the halftime performers, they'd get a better show.

Maroon 5 was not paid the NFL "for the right" to do that show. They have to pay their own expenses. It's like buying your own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I can't see that as bringing them more fans, so I hope they had fun. meh

If the greed heads in the NFL and the broadcaster allocate the gross money from one commercial to pay the halftime performers, they'd get a better show.

I don’t like how it distracts from the game. You’re taking teams out of rhythm with this extended half time.

Why is OK for the halftime show to include male nipples, when the world nearly exploded when Janet Jackson had her wardrobe malfunction? Double standard...
;)

I hope the Rams win, and they are certainly loaded with talent. I don’t really trust Goff yet, though, and it’s hard to bet against Belichick and Brady in a big game...and two weeks of prep time.

Pretty much everything I expected. An interesting game, though.

It wasn’t a sloppy game filled with turnovers. This was a legitimately great game by both Defenses. Everyone remembers the Monday Night game bw the Chiefs and Rams, which was entertaining, but this was real hard nosed football.

The "smoosh", or whatever NE calls the milling around and only showing their defense AFTER the QB's headset goes quiet just killed Goff. He looked like he was playing for Jeff Fisher again.

I think the truth is that Goff has been McVey's "remotely controlled QB", and he has been directed nearly every step this season. Belichick showed the league how to beat him if you have a well-drilled set of defenders that knows their responsibilities and can get set quickly.

McVey will need to teach Goff to better recognize on his own what a defense is doing. He looked lost. I think Baker Mayfield under center for LA wins that game 17-13.

I think it's interesting that McVey, even after the game, said that Gurley is healthy. Gurley said the same.

Last edited:
I don’t like how it distracts from the game. You’re taking teams out of rhythm with this extended half time.

It also gives more time to install adjustments. Given that it increases potential reward for the cerebral athlete, I like it. If one is so reflexive that they need the same interval of rest to win the biggest game of the season, they probably don't deserve to win :shrug:

The "smoosh", or whatever NE calls the milling around and only showing their defense AFTER the QB's headset goes quiet just killed Goff. He looked like he was playing for Jeff Fisher again.

I think the truth is that Goff has been McVey's "remotely controlled QB", and he has been directed nearly every step this season. Belichick showed the league how to beat him if you have a well-drilled set of defenders that knows their responsibilities and can get set quickly.

McVey will need to teach Goff to better recognize on his own what a defense is doing. He looked lost. I think Baker Mayfield under center for LA wins that game 17-13.

I think it's interesting that McVey, even after the game, said that Gurley is healthy.

Agree about Goff, but can't agree with the remarks about Baker. Not after watching Baker fail against four straight all-out blitzes by the Ravens to end the season. I thought he would have figured it out after the first two, but no. Not to say Baker wasn't great, but he...like Goff...still has much to learn as an NFL QB. Time is on their side, though.

While I was cleaning up in the kitchen late after the game, I actually heard a CBS Radio NYC hot-take moron say that this game did not say anything about defense winning Championships, and that it was an example of nothing more than poor offensive execution. What an idiot. Even the LA D did a great job on Brady once the field got smaller.

The best analogy I've heard about Belichick's big game defensive schemes is that "He takes away what you like to do best and makes you change everything about the way you operate. It's like he even makes you wipe your with the other hand.". This slows an offense down just enough to close all the windows and gaps. It actually says a lot about Goff that the INT came very late when he was completely desperate. He didn't make more than a few badly forced passes, and hung in waiting for the opportunity in a one score game.

Agree about Goff, but can't agree with the remarks about Baker. Not after watching Baker fail against four straight all-out blitzes by the Ravens to end the season. I thought he would have figured it out after the first two, but no. Not to say Baker wasn't great, but he...like Goff...still has much to learn as an NFL QB. Time is on their side, though.

Refresh my memory - was there much point in checking out into a run for any of those blitzes?

I put that more on the fact that Mayfield made a shaky O-line look great against pedestrian defenses all season and that the Ravens have a great one. Baker would have been facing Danny Shelton and Co yesterday, not the Ravens. I think he'd have done just fine getting the team to the line with 8 seconds on the play clock and re-assessing. Gurley could have been a factor both catching and running the ball with Mayfield, imho. You make a very broad claim based on unanalogous results in a very narrow set of circumstances.

And on another opinion-driven point, NFL AP RoY Saquon Barkley swapped for Gurley makes little difference. Mayfield for Goff does.

Goff looked like he was pissing down his leg during the national anthem and it went downhill from there. I wonder of we'll ever know what the hell was up with Gurley. He might have been a nice remedy to Goff $hi++!ng himself.

The game was good from a competitiveness angle and Belichick and Phillips sure showed their skills, but I never got the sense that the offenses were at the tops of their games. Some of that obviously had to do with the high level of the defenses, but some of it was miscues, nerves and iffy play calling.

Goff looked like he was pissing down his leg during the national anthem and it went downhill from there. I wonder of we'll ever know what the hell was up with Gurley. He might have been a nice remedy to Goff $hi++!ng himself.

The game was good from a competitiveness angle and Belichick and Phillips sure showed their skills, but I never got the sense that the offenses were at the tops of their games. Some of that obviously had to do with the high level of the defenses, but some of it was miscues, nerves and iffy play calling.

So, with an extra week to prepare and learn the opposition, why do you think that is ?

Despite your assessment of Goff pre-game, I just don't think we'll ever see "steely resolve" on this face - ever - even if in a few years he has a couple MVP trophies....

images

....but, wait...... Doesn't he look kind of familiar........?

I know. Maybe he has a Weeden-genomic link!?

Good God...........the horror....the horror.......

For me, this was middle-of-the-pack in terms of great Super Bowls. I'm sure it is in the eye of the beholder, but for a one-score game, it didn't have that tenseness that comes with a game dominated by defenses. There weren't many turnovers, the sacks weren't a product of schemes more than it was squeamishness on the part of Goff, particularly. It was one of the few games where the punters were compelling factors. That's sad.

It's also the only Super Bowl I can think of that was contested by the third and fourth best teams in the NFL.

Refresh my memory - was there much point in checking out into a run for any of those blitzes?

I put that more on the fact that Mayfield made a shaky O-line look great against pedestrian defenses all season and that the Ravens have a great one. Baker would have been facing Danny Shelton and Co yesterday, not the Ravens. I think he'd have done just fine getting the team to the line with 8 seconds on the play clock and re-assessing. Gurley could have been a factor both catching and running the ball with Mayfield, imho. You make a very broad claim based on unanalogous results in a very narrow set of circumstances.

And on another opinion-driven point, NFL AP RoY Saquon Barkley swapped for Gurley makes little difference. Mayfield for Goff does.

My only claim is that Baker and Goff are both inexperienced and will improve and become more Brees-like after they've seen it all over and over again.

Baker, vs the Ravens, basically faced the Pats all-out that forced Goff into the fatal int for four straight downs. He and Freddie never really came up with an answer. Hey, at that first down...with God and the football universe watching...I fully believed, as did the Steelers and their fans...the Ravens offense and their fans...the Browns and their fans...and probably the vast majority of the TV audience...that Baker was going to slay the Ravens. I was truly shocked it didn't happen, but it reminded me that he is a rookie with better days to come.

I was not in favor of drafting him due to his height. Yes, he had the ability, but the height gamble was a bridge too far for me. I would have gone Darnold...who in the end also put together a solid rookie season and I feel will be very good and maybe great...but Baker made me believe Dorsey got it right. The passing up of the DE Chubb for Ward still bothers me a little, but Ward certainly had a stellar season.