Summer and travel ball ?

I honestly was surprised that the NCAA has extended the recruiting dead period to July 31. And the A's have furloughed scouts. I'm sure others will follow. Strange summer

Makes zero sense to me. It is almost like they don't want baseball to be played this summer. This includes the ohsaa too. It really hurts the class of 2022 and the class of 2021. The A's and about 9 other major league teams are losing a million a month and will lose more if they play without fans. some MLB franchises are in horrible shape financially right now.

OHSAA isn't going to make any decisions. They really don't have much authority in this whole thing. I still don't think you're going to see many schools open up their baseball and softball fields. To schools, it's an unnecessary risk that will surely be pointed out if schools can't open in the fall. I'd ask how MLB and NCAA not scouting/recruiting is indication they don't want baseball to be played? I'm not trying to be mean by saying this but to OHSAA, NCAA and OHSAA...Spring Sports are done for the year. They aren't giving them much thought. All efforts are to get kids back on campus, in classrooms and maybe be able to have Fall sports...and let's be honest baseball/softball aren't the sports they care much about financially

Makes zero sense to me. It is almost like they don't want baseball to be played this summer. This includes the ohsaa too. It really hurts the class of 2022 and the class of 2021. The A's and about 9 other major league teams are losing a million a month and will lose more if they play without fans. some MLB franchises are in horrible shape financially right now.
As long as they are not scouting players in nursing homes and prisons there really is no solid reason for this decision.

OHSAA isn't going to make any decisions. They really don't have much authority in this whole thing. I still don't think you're going to see many schools open up their baseball and softball fields. To schools, it's an unnecessary risk that will surely be pointed out if schools can't open in the fall. I'd ask how MLB and NCAA not scouting/recruiting is indication they don't want baseball to be played? I'm not trying to be mean by saying this but to OHSAA, NCAA and OHSAA...Spring Sports are done for the year. They aren't giving them much thought. All efforts are to get kids back on campus, in classrooms and maybe be able to have Fall sports...and let's be honest baseball/softball aren't the sports they care much about financially
Well, I am not saying you are wrong about the OHSAA's authority, but I do think they have some influence. I don't know why local fields are opening up or should be, (but I see where Mason's Corwin-Nixon is in doubt and Blue Ash was still closed yesterday, both major city owned public fields) and the locally tax paid for school fields are not open (I am thinking the more rural locations when I say this but if they need someone to sign the waiver let them sign a waiver). For some communities, the local high school fields are all that are available. After, I wrote my first response, I got to thinking. I think the NCAA is moving the recruiting period back because the don't want some schools to have an unfair advantage. That is: if the school is in a state that is closed until August but other states are wide open now, then those schools in wide open states will have an unfair advantage. Paying big fees to not play on campus and not play in front of scouts is a hard pill to swallow. Like I said before and totally unrelated, some MLB franchises are having huge cash flow issues right now.

I agree the NCAA is doing everything they can to keep things "even". You already see leagues kinda jockeying for the soonest Opening Date to get kids back on campus. The big issue is this pretty much wipes out the Summer recruiting period. Kids aren't even allowed to take visits to the campus and meet staff. Then by August many coaches no matter what the sport become really involved with their current teams as they return to campus.

I hate the "My Tax Dollars" argument. Your tax dollars also pay for the school library. Should tax payers be able to have use of that whenever they want?

And if playing in front of scouts is the motivating factor for your kids....well I wish them the best. But the good news, nobody's kids are getting recruited. Now they can just play for fun and their parents approval.

I agree the NCAA is doing everything they can to keep things "even". You already see leagues kinda jockeying for the soonest Opening Date to get kids back on campus. The big issue is this pretty much wipes out the Summer recruiting period. Kids aren't even allowed to take visits to the campus and meet staff. Then by August many coaches no matter what the sport become really involved with their current teams as they return to campus.

I hate the "My Tax Dollars" argument. Your tax dollars also pay for the school library. Should tax payers be able to have use of that whenever they want?

And if playing in front of scouts is the motivating factor for your kids....well I wish them the best. But the good news, nobody's kids are getting recruited. Now they can just play for fun and their parents approval.
As far as your library comment, I say yes, open it up to the community, open the track for walking and open up the fields for playing ball. They are all paid for by the community's tax dollars. You want levies passed, open up your paid for facilities. It is good PR. Offers can now be made to high school kids in non-revenue sports after 9/1 of their junior year (it used to be senior year) and unlike football, most scouting takes place in a game like environment or at least players get noticed in that situation. It will be interesting how top baseball programs recruit in the next 12 months. The tournaments I was talking about are the Perfect Game tournament in Nashville and Georgia that can have as many as 400 teams there for a week. Two years ago, the Lake Point Tournament was 3K per team. Incredibly well scouted and the best of the best were there. Obviously, it will not be scouted so will teams ask for their refunds and not go?

They will never open up the school buildings. If anything they're closing them down more than the anything based off school violence. And where you say it might be good PR....on the other side, the next time someone enters a school and goes crazy....where do you think the local news will go for interviews? The school that allows the general public access. Next thing they know there's headlines...Does (fill in the blank), do enough to protect their students?

The split between the average school district and the community it serves is directly related to how close the community and the school district are tied together. Sports and its facilities are just one facet of that relationship. A district that does a good job of that in SWO is Mason. Their facilities between the school and the community are as intertwined as anything that I have see in Ohio. Some school districts in Indiana that I know of do a good job at it too. The school district with Ben Davis High School comes to mind as does Carmel. But those districts that keep the community at arms length (like the one that I live in) have a much harder time generating the support that they need when it comes time for fund raisers and levies. I am not saying that they don't eventually get them passed, just that it is much harder. As far as the library goes, if someone wanted to make it happen, it could happen. Anyway, this topic is for another part of the forum.

I'm only familiar with Mason. But for the most part the school and community portions are separate. They're just under the same roof. They all don't just mingle

I'm only familiar with Mason. But for the most part the school and community portions are separate. They're just under the same roof. They all don't just mingle
Really, that pool, the fields, the relationships with the coaches and little leagues, the youth wrestling program. I can go on and on.

FWIW-never been a fan of the Mason HS baseball field. Field is cramped and dugouts for LL. Great baseball program but always wondered why? The fact that they host the D2 districts and/or regionals is not a good thing.

FWIW-never been a fan of the Mason HS baseball field. Field is cramped and dugouts for LL. Great baseball program but always wondered why? The fact that they host the D2 districts and/or regionals is not a good thing.
The dimensions are a little tight too in my opinion. As far as why such a good program? the school is huge, just like Badin and Moeller, they run a program and not a just a team (heck they have hitting league for goodness sake in the off season)and they have a ton of D1 commits every year. With all that being said, I think they underachieve in terms of regional and state championships.

Last edited:
Really, that pool, the fields, the relationships with the coaches and little leagues, the youth wrestling program. I can go on and on.

So you're naming all things that are available at every district. Fields, wrestling rooms courts and such are rented out in pretty much every school district. Mason has a pool which not many have. Again, the STUDENTS do not mix with the general public during school hours. Afterwards...literally the same in pretty much every district in the state. After school programs use the schools facilities.

That's far from walking the halls and visiting the library.

I wasn't asking why on the program, I get it. Plenty of kids and talent rich area. Fairfield and Hamilton was the hot bed in the 80's and early 90's. Those athletes have moved east to the Lakotas and Mason. That same area supplies most of Moeller. I was asking about the baseball facility with such a top notch program. I guess it looks pretty with the brick stands and all but from a coaching point of view it is way small for a big time DI program. JMO!

Back in it's day it was one of the gems of the area. And still is pretty nice. I'm not sure what upgrades they could make to make it a considerable amount better based on space. Maybe extend the dugouts and revamp them.

I wasn't asking why on the program, I get it. Plenty of kids and talent rich area. Fairfield and Hamilton was the hot bed in the 80's and early 90's. Those athletes have moved east to the Lakotas and Mason. That same area supplies most of Moeller. I was asking about the baseball facility with such a top notch program. I guess it looks pretty with the brick stands and all but from a coaching point of view it is way small for a big time DI program. JMO!
I agree.

So you're naming all things that are available at every district. Fields, wrestling rooms courts and such are rented out in pretty much every school district. Mason has a pool which not many have. Again, the STUDENTS do not mix with the general public during school hours. Afterwards...literally the same in pretty much every district in the state. After school programs use the schools facilities.

That's far from walking the halls and visiting the library.
I never ever said that the general public should be walking the halls during the school day. Where did you get that? And, what I thought I was saying is that the schools fields are available to general public regularly, the pool is available to the community and the school's water polo and swimming team (not common at all) and the recreational programs are heavily influenced by the high school coaches to the point where at the higher levels they are out and out developmental programs. The level of cooperation between the community of Mason and the Mason school district is strong. Based on my experience with Fairfield and Lakota, this is not common at all. Good grief you jump the ladder of inference all the freaking time.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, tourney play started in the Cincy area with high school age teams. Is anybody going to try catch a game or two? Most games that I found are at private or city owned fields. But there is one high school allowing its field to be used this weekend.

Had our scrimmage banged by rain last night and start games on Thursday. Think they picked up a few other tournaments to make up for some that are cancelled. A college field has made their facility available over the 4th of July weekend.

I don't know if I should be ashamed to say, or think this, but it has been very nice not having the rat race of tournaments and travel for the last 9 weeks. The last two years it has been a tourny every weekend in April through mid july.

Sound like a broken record on here, I know, but I am just against these money grabs and cramming 5-9 games in a 3-4 day period, with little practice. It is just not natural nor is it good for the game.

While I do think these lockouts have been a sham and rediculous, it has been nice. I want to say the boy is farther along this season than the last 2 years WITH baseball in many aspects. In the past it was playing all those games (and think about just how many ABs you get....not that much) and with no INF/OF for these games ......and trying to find practice time in the spring during the week with the weather.

But so far this year the amount of BP, INF, drills and throwing sessions I feeel in many ways he is further along than the last two years.......
Even the boy admitted this week that even though missing all those games has sucked that he feels like he has gotten a lot more productive work in than he ever has by 1 June.

Last edited:
BASESWIMPARENT, I'll be honest. At this point I don't know which board I'm responding to. Too much time on Yappi with everything closed down

Just received notification about Summer Tournament dates to umpire. Looks like our group will be covering a tournament every weekend starting next week through the end of July. The dates didn't have the names of the tournaments but they are usually the bigger named ones and we cover the western side of them in NE Ohio. I would guess by early this coming week, games will start to be assigned once the tourney puts their schedule out and sends to the assigner. Here we go!

Son (14u) played in his first tournament over the weekend. His team coaches put all practices on hold from March to May, following the Stay At Home orders. They managed to get two indoor and one out door practice in between May 26th and this past weekend ahead of the tournament. The first game went as expected, as it took them about 3 innings to shake off the rust. Lost a close first game and won their second. With that said, the first team they played is of the national variety, with teams all over the South and Midwest. These guys were a well-oiled machine. No rust to be seen anywhere. Some of their dads were talking about their previous tournaments and how they were happy to not travel this weekend. They said they had been playing in GA and TN for the last month with OH shut down. Just another way OH teams have worked around the rules.

Had our scrimmage banged by rain last night and start games on Thursday. Think they picked up a few other tournaments to make up for some that are cancelled. A college field has made their facility available over the 4th of July weekend.

I don't know if I should be ashamed to say, or think this, but it has been very nice not having the rat race of tournaments and travel for the last 9 weeks. The last two years it has been a tourny every weekend in April through mid july.

Sound like a broken record on here, I know, but I am just against these money grabs and cramming 5-9 games in a 3-4 day period, with little practice. It is just not natural nor is it good for the game.

While I do think these lockouts have been a sham and rediculous, it has been nice. I want to say the boy is farther along this season than the last 2 years WITH baseball in many aspects. In the past it was playing all those games (and think about just how many ABs you get....not that much) and with no INF/OF for these games ......and trying to find practice time in the spring during the week with the weather.

But so far this year the amount of BP, INF, drills and throwing sessions I feeel in many ways he is further along than the last two years.......
Even the boy admitted this week that even though missing all those games has sucked that he feels like he has gotten a lot more productive work in than he ever has by 1 June.
I hate to say it but I feel the exact same way. Way too many games with little time for development. These teams just need to make practice a priority and the players need to make doing the meaningful drills a priority. But it was fun going to a couple of games on Saturday

I hate to say it but I feel the exact same way. Way too many games with little time for development. These teams just need to make practice a priority and the players need to make doing the meaningful drills a priority. But it was fun going to a couple of games on Saturday
That is the problem with all these teams that are not community based as they are much more spread out. It was easy on the teams I played and coached on as every kid lived 5 miles or closer to the diamond.

Of the games that I watched on Saturday (both 15u). I would say the pitching was super rusty but if you could put it over the plate, the batters got themselves out. The other thing I noticed was how the relays and set ups and who goes where to cover what was really rusty too. That will be a focus of effort this week, I bet.

That is the problem with all these teams that are not community based as they are much more spread out. It was easy on the teams I played and coached on as every kid lived 5 miles or closer to the diamond.
Definitely that way when I played all community based and we could practice at a park that we could walk or ride our bike too. We had one dad who was teacher and he would run practice during the day so that field availability would not be an issue.

Of the games that I watched on Saturday (both 15u). I would say the pitching was super rusty but if you could put it over the plate, the batters got themselves out. The other thing I noticed was how the relays and set ups and who goes where to cover what was really rusty too. That will be a focus of effort this week, I bet.

Where was their plate umpire? Behind the catcher or the pitcher? I have 6 games this weekend scheduled and was told we are behind the pitcher and wearing a mask is now optional.

I would think that's generally true most of the time, the pitcher puts the ball around the plate and the infield defense is good enough, batters will get themselves out. Two things that make me cringe as an umpire: pitchers that can't throw strikes, infields that can't make routine plays (good ole "strikes and outs").