Summer and travel ball ?

Husted on Thursday said that outdoor facilities were never ordered closed by the Governor....so yes, there is some confusion there...as it did sound like the OHSAA had said they couldn't be used. At some point, some schools must have gotten clarification. My son has been working out with a buddy who is an MILB player at a HS field for the past week or so. The HS coach had actually come to the field and let them in.

You would not know it if they are there. And as far as I know, no recruiting goes on at these tournaments, just guys watching baseball and using radar guns. Neither you nor Brian112 know what the heck they are talking about. So unless you have been to the big Nashville tourneys or the big Lake Point tourneys, I would not speak about what you don't know.

Uh, if a guy is at a tourney with a radar gun, he is either 1) a coach....or 2) a scout lol. And you don't have to go to Nashville or a "big tourney" to have coaches there. You can go to any of the 50 fields used by the Cincy Flames on the weekend of their 15u-17u tourneys and there are coaches there. Yes you will know them.....most college coaches have a polo on with their school logo. Pro scouts are very, very noticeable. The college coaches all know them and if one walks up it's like a watching the ice cream truck come around the corner :) It's a mad rush for everyone to run over and say hello and shake hands.

You make me laugh Basewimp ....You should not make comments as the one you directed at Brian112 and myself unless you truly know who you are talking too and their experiences. I cannot speak for him, but I can promise you where I have been and where I go far exceeds any tournament you have or will experience.

Tried to tell y'all that the baseball facility closures had wiggle room to be exempt or able to be negotiated but some didn't want to believe it.
Some leagues and organizations will feel silly for cancelling so soon.
You ever think that maybe, just maybe, some leagues and organizations felt that it was just safer not to rush back, and canceling was the better option?

Yeah.
Sure.
So if an organization owner told you that you wouldn't believe them? Just curious because I've had some coaches and organization owners say that is why they are canceling their season. I believe them, but it sounds like you wouldn't.

So it looks like the OHSAA contacted someone at the ODH who told them over the telephone that this applied to outdoor facilities. This is something that probably should have been followed up with written transcript so everyone was on the same page. Cleveland Heights basketball may be interested in this case since a "phone call" was their undoing until court intervention this past season.

The original Stay at Home order was modified to include a number of facilities, including stadiums. That's on top of all the organized activities that were already ordered shut down as well.

From what I remember, DeWine closed the schools for the school year. The OHSAA closed the facilities, including outdoor. Maybe someone can find where DeWine closed all facilities but I don't remember hearing that. In one of these threads, we even discussed tracks remaining open at some schools for walkers/joggers against the OHSAA mandate.

The OHSAA has no authority whatsoever to tell the schools to close their facilities. The order came from the Ohio Department of Health. (Acton)

Dr. Doom has some extraordinary power. I'm glad we elected her to take care of us.

Oh wait ....

I heard her people put together a predictor, like the one they used for covid, and catered it to the sports world.

It predicted the Browns to go 34-0 this NFL season
The OHSAA has no authority whatsoever to tell the schools to close their facilities. The order came from the Ohio Department of Health. (Acton)

My question: How is that NOT in violation of the ODH Order? I'm NOT saying I agree with the ODH order, but I still have not seen ANYTHING official from the ODH or from the OHSAA reversing that ruling and allowing stadiums/parks/outdoor activity centers to be open.

My hope is that the ODH and OHSAA will get their SH** together and just open all the fields, but they haven't done it yet. Maybe the place in Sandusky is just trying to force the issue..... and if so, Good for them!

My question: How is that NOT in violation of the ODH Order? I'm NOT saying I agree with the ODH order, but I still have not seen ANYTHING official from the ODH or from the OHSAA reversing that ruling and allowing stadiums/parks/outdoor activity centers to be open.

My hope is that the ODH and OHSAA will get their SH** together and just open all the fields, but they haven't done it yet. Maybe the place in Sandusky is just trying to force the issue..... and if so, Good for them!
ODH gave the ok on Friday for low contact sport and OHSAA has nothing to do with Sports Force Park

Sports Force Park in Sandusky, OH is hosting a tournament May 30-31 for all ages. Link provided below for those interested:

Whoever's putting this on does not deserve to be involved in youth sports. It's a danger to the kids to expect them to compete on 3-4 practices. Their bodies need to acclimate to the sport. When little Johnny beams a kid in the head because he's only thrown 20 pitches in practice but his dad says he's been doing a lot of work...who's liable for that? And we're going to set a new record for Tommy John surgeries this year. Sure some, maybe even a majority of kids have been doing some work...but there's still those that haven't.

We wouldn't expect athletes at any level to compete on one week of practices. Especially some of them cold starting. Give them two weeks. I don't think that's an unrealistic request.

As stated before, Sports Force Park has nothing to do with OHSAA as it's an independent facility.

That's not to mention the potential for the stay-at-home (or whatever the hell rebrand they put on it) possibly being extended past 5/29. I don't get how some of this responsible restart stuff doesn't violate the rebranded stay-at-home order (but that's a different conversation for a different day).

I wouldn't want my kids (if I had them) or team (if I coached one) to jump right into competition without an acclimation period. That being said, if the facility can convince teams to (imprudently, in my opinion) participate in an event, that's on them. The facility has been out revenue for many weekends this spring, while still having to meet certain expenses, and I'm sure that is a consideration here.

Whoever's putting this on does not deserve to be involved in youth sports. It's a danger to the kids to expect them to compete on 3-4 practices. Their bodies need to acclimate to the sport. When little Johnny beams a kid in the head because he's only thrown 20 pitches in practice but his dad says he's been doing a lot of work...who's liable for that? And we're going to set a new record for Tommy John surgeries this year. Sure some, maybe even a majority of kids have been doing some work...but there's still those that haven't.

We wouldn't expect athletes at any level to compete on one week of practices. Especially some of them cold starting. Give them two weeks. I don't think that's an unrealistic request.

What a cry baby! Private businesses can not afford to stay Closed any longer than they already have! This really that hard to grasp? Kids get hit in the head with Pitches Every weekend, why when it happens on May 30th 2020 will that be any different than when the kid got hit May 30th 2019?

What a cry baby! Private businesses can not afford to stay Closed any longer than they already have! This really that hard to grasp? Kids get hit in the head with Pitches Every weekend, why when it happens on May 30th 2020 will that be any different than when the kid got hit May 30th 2019?

Oh, so the health of the kids is less important than bringing business back? I'm sure they could make that money by renting the fields for practices. There will be a large demand. The Reds beat the Nationals 9-3 on May 31 though and Yasiel Puig even had an RBI. On May 31, 2020 MLB won't be playing because they feel it's unsafe for them to do so. And Puig doesn't have a job. There's also this health pandemic going on.

I'm not against bringing things back but I suggest a two week practice period. Let's limit the shredded elbows and shoulders.

Those games are two weeks away. The kids on these teams have probably been hitting and throwing with friends or family members. The coaches should also be aware of who has put the work in and who hasn't. They should treat it like April 1st with limited innings but much warmer weather.

I can tell you 10+ years ago, our local youth leagues did not have an indoor facility and the weather was terrible. We went out and had a couple practices when we were lucky enough to get on a field and then started playing games a couple weeks later. That is how it was in our community for over 50 years. This reopening is not ideal but probably still better than most of us had it when we were younger.

Last edited:
I can tell you 10+ years ago, our local youth leagues did not have an indoor facility and the weather was terrible. We went out and had a couple practices when we were lucky enough to get on a field and then started playing games a couple weeks later. That is how it was in our community for over 50 years. This reopening is not ideal but probably still better than most of us had it when we were younger.

Thank you for making my point. I understand the date is a few weeks away. I also notice that the first time teams can meet for workouts would be May 26. May 30 would be less than a week. And how are coaches supposed to know where their players are physically? Three days of practice?

ODH gave the ok on Friday for low contact sport and OHSAA has nothing to do with Sports Force Park

CC TRACK FAN.....you missed what I said.

I'm aware they reopened the low-contact sports for May 26. But the same organization, the ODH, did NOT reopen stadiums and outdoor recreation facilities. Those places are still ordered closed, as are schools (again, with the confusion added in by the Lt. Gov).

I'm aware the OHSAA doesn't control private parks. I didn't say that it did.

City Fields can be used.

New OHSAA guidelines coming out tomorrow as well.

Also. Those of you talking about "going south" and other states for summer ball and all of that. NCAA pushed dead period to July 1. So......

AnswerZero....can you find anything that revokes or changes the previous ODH ruling that stadiums and outdoor entertainment facilities are open? It is being stated all over the place on Yappi that fields are open, but other than the Lt. Gov's offhanded comment about school outdoor fields, nothing else has been released.

And while it would be LOGICAL that they are allowing baseball to begin on May 26, they did not SAY that fields were open. Wouldn't you think they would say that, considering how specific they have been this whole time?

I can state that our local little league decided to begin their season on May 26th. It's a summer rec league that contains 6-7 small communities near where I live. There will be a short time for practices and then games will begin. There will be a lot of guidelines that need followed so this can happen. I don't know all the details, but I know that it is starting up. I'm glad for the kids, and I think it's good for everyone.

AnswerZero....can you find anything that revokes or changes the previous ODH ruling that stadiums and outdoor entertainment facilities are open? It is being stated all over the place on Yappi that fields are open, but other than the Lt. Gov's offhanded comment about school outdoor fields, nothing else has been released.

And while it would be LOGICAL that they are allowing baseball to begin on May 26, they did not SAY that fields were open. Wouldn't you think they would say that, considering how specific they have been this whole time?

The places and coaches I have talked to it seems like Cities are allowing to rent the fields out.

Obviously the high school fields is a mess right now, and there is too much grey area, as you can see with all of this debate on the thread.. and everyone that "knows" what is going on.

My logic, you have better luck talking to the city and getting it approved than you have getting it approved through a school board to use the school field.

Everyone saying that games are being played right away on May 26th is interesting.

There is a 7-10 ramp up period that is in place. Only practices and scrimmages are to take place. Like stated in the thread, kids have to get ready to roll. Most importantly their ARMS have to get ready. High schools had pitchers at 60ish pitches a bullpen I'd guess when the shut down started. That is 2 months ago, some kids may have not touched a mound since then. You're telling me little johnny is going to play in a game on the 26th and throw in a live game like he never missed a beat? Interesting. I think that would be a joke. All for mommy and daddy to be happy and go win a meaningless game? Let me know how the Tommy John surgery goes.

Especially considering how much pitching you need for these tournaments. Would be a shame to see kids get arm injuries because arms aren't ready. Most parents understand this I hope.

Especially considering how much pitching you need for these tournaments. Would be a shame to see kids get arm injuries because arms aren't ready. Most parents understand this I hope.

I looked at the calendar as soon as the date dropped. My immediate thought, there's going to be tournaments that play that weekend. There's going to be coaches who eagerly sign their teams up. There would be parents who thought that's an awesome idea. I'm not aware of any governing body that would would have the authority statewide to to say when the games can start. Fields open up May 26 then it's up to adults to make the correct decisions.